PDA

View Full Version : Non-existent Brest? Actually, it's an advantage!

sbg_1966
04-13-2007, 03:06 AM
Greetings to all Kaleuns on my first post.

SHIII had been lying on one of the shelves of my library for a relatively long time when, two weeks ago, my son persuaded me to look into it. Result? Have been hooked on it for the last fortnight!

During this period, I have also gone through the forums and think I've found an opportunity to chip in my first two cents.

Patrol no.8 out of Wilhelmshaven, I received the message "Base moved to Brest". But, as stated in earlier posts, Brest is not among the friendly bases appearing on the nav map. At the end of the patrol, I had no difficulty in finding Brest, but when I got there and hit Escape and then "End Patrol", I did not get the "Dock at: Brest" option. So I decided to go back to Wilhelmshaven. Good choice it was. I got the due promotions/medals etc. But the best was to follow.

Completed the usual "in base" routine and asked for my new assignment. Heheee.... I got a free ride! It said "Patrol Area: NULL". So, I ended up sailing out with a fully rearmed sub with my only duties to return to Brest when I wanted (and Brest did indeed appear on the map this time).

In conclusion, if you are instructed to return to a base that does not yet appear on the map (though I doubt this occurs in any other instance than the one involving Wilhelmshaven and Brest), simply return to your original base and you may end up being awarded with a joyride.

Cheers and good hunting.

SBG

sbg_1966
04-13-2007, 03:06 AM
Greetings to all Kaleuns on my first post.

SHIII had been lying on one of the shelves of my library for a relatively long time when, two weeks ago, my son persuaded me to look into it. Result? Have been hooked on it for the last fortnight!

During this period, I have also gone through the forums and think I've found an opportunity to chip in my first two cents.

Patrol no.8 out of Wilhelmshaven, I received the message "Base moved to Brest". But, as stated in earlier posts, Brest is not among the friendly bases appearing on the nav map. At the end of the patrol, I had no difficulty in finding Brest, but when I got there and hit Escape and then "End Patrol", I did not get the "Dock at: Brest" option. So I decided to go back to Wilhelmshaven. Good choice it was. I got the due promotions/medals etc. But the best was to follow.

Completed the usual "in base" routine and asked for my new assignment. Heheee.... I got a free ride! It said "Patrol Area: NULL". So, I ended up sailing out with a fully rearmed sub with my only duties to return to Brest when I wanted (and Brest did indeed appear on the map this time).

In conclusion, if you are instructed to return to a base that does not yet appear on the map (though I doubt this occurs in any other instance than the one involving Wilhelmshaven and Brest), simply return to your original base and you may end up being awarded with a joyride.

Cheers and good hunting.

SBG

pondafarr
04-13-2007, 04:19 AM
Techicly, ALL missions are joyrides, you only get around 200 renoun for getting to your assigned sector, maybe another 500 to complete that patrol. You could go the entirely opposite direction, and just be more selective on your targets, and make it up easily...SH3 is not as guided as you may think...

Foehammer-1
04-13-2007, 08:27 AM
What I used to do before I got Commander was the following. I would sail out of any port and go to Trindheim or Narvik. From there, I would get the NULL grid. After being free to hunt the Arctic convoys, I would come back to Narvik, reload and hunt some more. As long as you are ok with the default torpedo loadout and there are no upgrades you want, you can do this for a long while. Same goes for milk cows

Kaiser_W
04-13-2007, 03:23 PM
In the months before the invasion of france, I resupply at V-ships until I get based in France. Before french ships become neutral, the area around Portugal and Gibraltar are target rich with french ships.

geoffwessex
04-13-2007, 04:54 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Foehammer-1:
What I used to do before I got Commander was the following. I would sail out of any port and go to Trindheim or Narvik. From there, I would get the NULL grid. After being free to hunt the Arctic convoys, I would come back to Narvik, reload and hunt some more. As long as you are ok with the default torpedo loadout and there are no upgrades you want, you can do this for a long while. Same goes for milk cows </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Does any renown, medals and promotions etc get accumulated so that when you finally get back 'home' you receive it all?

Foehammer-1
04-13-2007, 08:08 PM
Not sure about you guys, but I get all my renown and medals when i dock at a friendly base. The only thing that I miss is the submarine upgrade screen in the "office" view between missions. And you can't transfer flotillas.