PDA

View Full Version : AC ODYSSEY dialogue options??!!??

rockfede5
06-01-2018, 11:18 PM
I'm hyped about the ancient Greek set
but I'm confused: how is possible to have different dialogue options and different story endings if we use an Animus (or Helix) to relive memories?.
In the previous AC games we relive the history, events of the past that have already occured. We are not supposed to change history (because it's already wrote)
Am I wrong?

rockfede5
06-01-2018, 11:22 PM
I'm hyped about the ancient Greek set
but I'm confused: how is possible to have different dialogue options and different story endings if we use an Animus (or Helix) to relive memories?.
In the previous AC games we relive the history, events of the past that have already occured. We are not supposed to change history (because it's already wrote)
Am I wrong?

And I Think that this type or RPG mechanics doesn't match well with the AC Lore

MnemonicSyntax
06-02-2018, 01:17 AM
I said this previously. It doesn't make sense. But, I guess if the games need to appeal to the masses more then I completely understand.

Panda_of_Ra
06-02-2018, 05:37 AM
As critical as the animus is to the story of Assassin's Creed its been holding the games back from being able to innovate, so I understand at this point why they're throwing it under the bus when there has been a call to action to differentiate installments from each other. And without getting to deep into Origin's related spoilers, the optional first civilization content mentions something about time manipulation. So if the devs really want to provide an explantion the potential for one exists.

MnemonicSyntax
06-02-2018, 06:40 AM
As critical as the animus is to the story of Assassin's Creed its been holding the games back from being able to innovate, so I understand at this point why they're throwing it under the bus when there has been a call to action to differentiate installments from each other. And without getting to deep into Origin's related spoilers, the optional first civilization content mentions something about time manipulation. So if the devs really want to provide an explantion the potential for one exists.

Interesting point! Thanks for pointing it out!

Frag_Maniac
06-02-2018, 06:45 AM
I don't see that it makes any sense to try and turn what has always been an Action Adventure series into a half arse RPG just to bring in more players. They risk losing as many players as they bring in, and as mentioned, in the process, totally disregard the animus/memory nature of the game.

rockfede5
06-02-2018, 08:53 AM
Sure this feature will bring more possibilities for the end game but i feel like some key elements of the franchise are going to die
In origins I like the new combact system, the new IA (artificial intelligence) of enemies the discovery tour, the customization BUT the are thing a little bit weird for example fire sword or fire axe or weapons with health regeneration and so on, I usually don't use them
I'm ok with the positive changes but changing to much and AC will be another standard RPG
Yes there are the Isu Hologram good point but I'm feeling like the animus is going to be useless in the next games and this is weird and confusing and I'm an AC player since the 2007/8

KmarkoPL
06-02-2018, 02:06 PM
Am glad they ditching dialogue selection, and I hope they will stay that way.
The whole reason why I hate RPG games is the dialogue selection.
Don't want to have my favorite franchise to turn in **** full RPG .

joshoolhorst
06-02-2018, 02:17 PM
I don't see that it makes any sense to try and turn what has always been an Action Adventure series into a half arse RPG just to bring in more players. They risk losing as many players as they bring in, and as mentioned, in the process, totally disregard the animus/memory nature of the game.

Because AC was on it's last legs back in 2014/15.
Ubisoft was losing sales and even hardcore fans were getting tired of releasing a new game every year with no inovation so of course they decided to take a year rest and ''reboot'' the franchise with different elements. RPG'S are the thing now so they went with that and still trying to keep what the older fans want but the Animus prevents dialoge choices and the games changing because there are major canon reasons why they can't.
The Animus a device I absolute loves works better in comics/books/movies than games because the Animus restricts players and devs from doing certain things.
I do not like the idea of dialoge choices myself and the Animus maybe becoming a ''time travel'' device (one ofthe reasons why I love the Animusis because it's not time travel) but I'm atleast glad they try to explain it.
But AC is following trends now… That's sad.

AnimusLover
06-02-2018, 02:43 PM

Copying more successful RPGs is not "innovation", it's just capitalising on a popular trend. Origins took the RPG elements to the brink in terms of how far it can go in this series realistically, and even then it did some questionable things (like having a difficulty mode and hidden blades that don't kill enemies instantly when stabbed in the neck).
Dialogue choices will officially break the lore and make canon and continuity meaningless.

I don't mind dialogue options that serve as mere info dumps e.g. Horizon Dero Dawn where the dialogue options were just there if players wanted to ask more questions about the characters. In fact, there were only 4 instances in HZD where dialogue options affected quest outcomes and even then, 2 of them just changed how a scene played out.

Actual decision making abilities that fundamentally alter the story outcomes will kill AC for me. Also, the story in AC has been consistently horrible since AC Black Flag so the choice mechanic will only highlight its weaknesses.
I like that the story we play is already set in stone, we're simply reliving it.

joshoolhorst
06-02-2018, 03:27 PM
Copying more successful RPGs is not "innovation", it's just capitalising on a popular trend. Origins took the RPG elements to the brink in terms of how far it can go in this series realistically, and even then it did some questionable things (like having a difficulty mode and hidden blades that don't kill enemies instantly when stabbed in the neck).
Dialogue choices will officially break the lore and make canon and continuity meaningless.

I don't mind dialogue options that serve as mere info dumps e.g. Horizon Dero Dawn where the dialogue options were just there if players wanted to ask more questions about the characters. In fact, there were only 4 instances in HZD where dialogue options affected quest outcomes and even then, 2 of them just changed how a scene played out.

Actual decision making abilities that fundamentally alter the story outcomes will kill AC for me. Also, the story in AC has been consistently horrible since AC Black Flag so the choice mechanic will only highlight its weaknesses.
I like that the story we play is already set in stone, we're simply reliving it.

(Sorry for my grammar I use a different keyboard... A really basd one so if I'm not clear just ask away)
Yeah they tried to make the RPG elemets as realistic as possible in the AC world but still brough problems… Like Bayek not get desynchronization leaving a suicidal woman on the road getting beaten for weeks by lions. It seems like they also grabbed the FREEDOM of choice to serious to by taking away the urge to complete certain levels because no one holds a crush against you if youlet I don't know a queen of Egypt alone with a murderer.
There are also hit points for some reason inside the simulation which in my opinion is immersion breaking if you are reliving a memory.

Interesting way at looking at the dialoge system but there is one issue still left. If we are for example make the Animus a time travel machine and well... Do things… But she/he still needs to conceive the child so the MD user can be born just as a example here that will mean that protagonist x love interest did went to bed at the exact same day hour and move set at that certain moment in time and if there are multiple endings WHAT'S the point if it won't affect history? will it effect the MD there are somany things to consider.
(Can't wait untill the writers can retcon every single moment in the franchise by just a simple dialoge now)

''You say the words but do not understand them'' - Mary Read AC4. The game was trying to let ge player think on about the characters said and there place in the world by just onwe simple line of dialoge with surrounded with well written characters it's a shame that no AC game after 4 has this sort of moments.

Frag_Maniac
06-02-2018, 10:40 PM

Where did you read this, because many are saying otherwise. Plus I'd read they are adding not just dialog trees, but optional outcomes.

@ joshoolhorst,

I have no problem with Origin's RPG features, and Origins obviously brought AC back to popularity. I don't think they really needed to have 12 or more levels of gear upgrades, but even that I can deal with because the game is long enough in content and play time to warrant it.

Where I draw the line is with features like dialog trees and variable outcomes which are full on RPG features and don't fit in a fixed history setting like AC.

If they DO add such a thing, they'll need to make it an option like Bioware does with their story mode.

KmarkoPL
06-03-2018, 12:27 AM
Where did you read this, because many are saying otherwise. Plus I'd read they are adding not just dialog trees, but optional outcomes.

Polish game forum
raw google translation

Assassin's Creed Odyssey will debut in 2019. Production will allow us to create our own character and choose the gender, adding more RPGs type than did Assassin's Creed Origins,
There is even the possibility that the authors will allow us to choose dialogue during conversation - the first of these sources confirms that, however developers eventually gave up this idea, so that remains questionable at the moment.
Source: https://www.gry-online.pl/S013.asp?ID=109507

Frag_Maniac
06-03-2018, 02:31 AM
Polish game forum
raw google translation
Thanks, I'd feel more confident in it's accuracy were it a quote from Ubi after an interview ,vs just one site's claim, but it's good news IMO. I take it if true it would also mean no varied outcomes.

joelsantos24
06-03-2018, 09:38 AM
The whole reason why I hate RPG games is the dialogue selection.
Don't want to have my favorite franchise to turn in **** full RPG .
I suppose there isn't much to go along, apart from that Polish gaming forum?

Yeah, we also have that in Uncharted. Interacting with certain objects will, sometimes, trigger a conversation in which we may select a certain direction in the conversation, in order to learn more about the topic or carry on with the interaction itself. That's always optional, though, as we might not even interact with the object or finish the conversation whenever we find it suitable.

https://youtu.be/3-jYvnwdrCw

If this is as far as it goes, then I don't see any harm in that. On the other hand, if this is yet another obsession to turn AC into a deeper, more classic RPG, it won't work for me.

rockfede5
06-03-2018, 11:49 AM
I'm ok with the dialogue options connected with some items
/object (like a monunent,a sword, a city, ecc.) or to a NPC in some side quests maybe to understand more deeply the role of the NPC in it or the context.
But dialogue options in main quests that can alter the story are annoying .
The only thing that could possibly work for me is that the aninus which the md (modern day) player use to relive the memories is a new type of animus that allow the user to see different stories and possibilities, in this case we don't change the history but we see the possibile outcomes of different choices.
It's pretty similar to the dlc: KING WASHINGTON TIRRANY in Ac3.
Is this make sense guys?

Sushiglutton
06-03-2018, 04:28 PM
Dialog options must take a ton of effort and given the production pace I think the Polish rumour makes sense. But what do I know? Anyway I'm fine either way. I don't care enough about the Animus stuff that it would bother me too much if it's not entirely consistent. I think dialog options are fun in general and they suit the medium as branching stories is something games can do better than anything else.

I don't think the animus should be a straitjacket that prevents Ubi to do stuff they think would lead to a better overall experience. You can always make up a more or less contrived explanation anyway. So go for it!

SixKeys
06-03-2018, 05:22 PM
Assuming the games would ever have dialogue options, my one wish would be to have the actual line be the same thing you choose. One thing I absolutely HATE in RPGs is when I choose an option that sounds positive or neutral and the actual line the character delivers ends up sounding negative or passive-aggressive.

Example:

(Dialogue option) "You're right. I apologize."

(Actual line) "Fine, whatever you say. Sorry for existing, I'm sure."

joelsantos24
06-03-2018, 07:14 PM
I think dialogue options make sense in a narrative-driven structure, when there's a potential meaningful interaction with other characters. In other words, it exists in order to give us an additional glimpse into less known details of the narrative. I know classic RPGs have used them for a long time, but in the perspective of defining the specific path you want your character to follow. The latter perspective doesn't really make sense in an AC game, in my opinion.

MageAquarius20
06-03-2018, 08:44 PM
I would like to see less crunchy dialogoue like the battle with septimius and Aya.

Also AC has to just give us compelling dialougue like the first game.

MageAquarius20
06-03-2018, 08:51 PM
I would like to see less crunchy dialogoue like the battle with septimius and Aya.

Also AC has to just give us compelling dialougue like the first game.

Slimgrin
06-03-2018, 09:25 PM
I hope this is true. Anything that helps me connect more with the character is a plus.

Frag_Maniac
06-03-2018, 09:58 PM
One thing I absolutely HATE in RPGs is when I choose an option that sounds positive or neutral and the actual line the character delivers ends up sounding negative or passive-aggressive.

It's one of my pet peeves about dialog trees too, and it's even worse if you're committed to that answer and it causes a ton of problems that can't be reversed. It's probably why Bioware went to the categorized response symbols, each representing a different tone (sarcastic, logical, negative, etc), but even still, you can wind up sometimes with a different reaction than you wanted.

I guess in a way, dialog trees are the social version of loot boxes, because like Forest says, "You never know what you're gonna get". I don't expect games to be predictable, I just like the ones with RPG elements to be comfortably controllable socially by the player, not an experiment.

SixKeys
06-04-2018, 08:26 AM
It's one of my pet peeves about dialog trees too, and it's even worse if you're committed to that answer and it causes a ton of problems that can't be reversed. It's probably why Bioware went to the categorized response symbols, each representing a different tone (sarcastic, logical, negative, etc), but even still, you can wind up sometimes with a different reaction than you wanted.

I guess in a way, dialog trees are the social version of loot boxes, because like Forest says. "You never know what you're gonna get". I don't expect games to be predictable, I just like the ones with RPG elements to be comfortably controllable socially by the player, not an experiment.

Honestly BioWare's dialogue system was better before they moved onto the Symbol Wheel of Fortune. The problem with the dialogue wheel is that the options are severely condensed, removing any nuance, so it's hard to tell how your character is going to come off sounding. There's a massive difference between a character using dry sarcasm in a dire situation vs. them saying something extremely goofy and inappropriate. Both kinds of responses can be symbolized with the "humor" icon, so as you say, you never know what you're going to get.

I don't mind the consequences that comes from making choices, so long as they're consistent with what I actually chose. Case in point, BioWare romances. If you don't immediately want to romance somebody from the word go but you may be open to the option in the future, maybe you want to choose the option "We're moving too fast". In many games though, instead of the other character saying "Okay, we'll take things slowly then", choosing the 'slow down' option will actually end any chance of romance with that character. It's infuriating. Either you're expected to accept as soon as the character asks you out or you lose your chance to woo them for all eternity. That's not how relationships work IRL.

quanzaizai
06-04-2018, 10:40 AM
According to the lore, layla's Animus is the best version of it and if you activate isu dialogs, they are hinting that this anius version can even change the past.

cawatrooper9
06-04-2018, 03:05 PM
As long as the choices are relatively innocuous, I don't see a problem with it.

Desynchronization happens when a simulation drastically differs from what really happened. That's why Desmond would desynchronize when Altair got a sword to the face, but he was able to (Within reason) make Altair walk around town however he liked.

I don't see much difference with that with dialogue. If the new hero decides to ask a townsperson how they're doing today, I don't think that would effect much.

If he decides to try and ruin the hero's relationship with someone by screaming incoherent and hateful thoughts, though... that might need to cause decync.

Basically, as long as the dialogue doesn't stray too far from what the hero represents at his or her core and what they could have done (and not necessarily what they did do), I think we can have (and to be honest, always have had) some degree of creative freedom in what we do with that character.

joelsantos24
06-04-2018, 04:26 PM

Desynchronization happens when a simulation drastically differs from what really happened. That's why Desmond would desynchronize when Altair got a sword to the face, but he was able to (Within reason) make Altair walk around town however he liked.

I don't see much difference with that with dialogue. If the new hero decides to ask a townsperson how they're doing today, I don't think that would effect much.

If he decides to try and ruin the hero's relationship with someone by screaming incoherent and hateful thoughts, though... that might need to cause decync.

Basically, as long as the dialogue doesn't stray too far from what the hero represents at his or her core and what they could have done (and not necessarily what they did do), I think we can have (and to be honest, always have had) some degree of creative freedom in what we do with that character.
That's yet another perspective through which dialogue options don't really work or make sense in an AC game, because it all comes down to synchronisation-desynchronisation. This is not a multiverse. There's a story, that is to say, there's a specific reality, and we can't derail from that specific line, whatever it is.

In other words, whatever happened, happened, and whatever didn't happen, won't happen. Through the Animus, characters get to relive passed events from their ancestors, they don't get to reshape reality. In my opinion, seeing it from this important context, dialogue options don't work in AC.

cawatrooper9
06-04-2018, 04:37 PM
That's yet another perspective through which dialogue options don't really work or make sense in an AC game, because it all comes down to synchronisation-desynchronisation. This is not a multiverse. There's a story, that is to say, there's a specific reality, and we can't derail from that specific line, whatever it is.

In other words, whatever happened, happened, and whatever didn't happen, won't happen. Through the Animus, characters get to relive passed events from their ancestors, they don't get to reshape reality. In my opinion, seeing it from this important context, dialogue options don't work in AC.

Right, but at the end of the day it's still a video game. To perfectly follow reality would remove all agency from the player entirely. Like I alluded to earlier, if we really wanted to be strict about it, we could say "Did the Assassin walk in that exact space, at that exact time, during that exact day? Did he turn right then as well, maintaining that exact speed and trajectory toward his target ?" Anything off that extremely rigid path would be ground for desynchronization. It would become either a movie or a very difficult Rock Smith-style rhythym game where a single error caused failure.

I guess it all comes down to how willing you are to suspend your disbelief in regards to the animus and how it works, but I think it's at least a little more flexible than that.

joelsantos24
06-04-2018, 05:41 PM
Right, but at the end of the day it's still a video game. To perfectly follow reality would remove all agency from the player entirely. Like I alluded to earlier, if we really wanted to be strict about it, we could say "Did the Assassin walk in that exact space, at that exact time, during that exact day? Did he turn right then as well, maintaining that exact speed and trajectory toward his target ?" Anything off that extremely rigid path would be ground for desynchronization. It would become either a movie or a very difficult Rock Smith-style rhythym game where a single error caused failure.

I guess it all comes down to how willing you are to suspend your disbelief in regards to the animus and how it works, but I think it's at least a little more flexible than that.
I understand your point.

Between missions, we do have margin to manoeuvre. We can go wherever we want, and do whatever we desire. But dialogue options are assumed in the perspective of missions and relevant character interaction. So, using your terms, our disbelief is more prominently suspended between missions or free roaming. In this context, the only possible interactions, are with shop owners, to purchase, sell or trade items, general people, when we literally bump into them, or when you pick a fight with guards. In a typical story-oriented game, such as Uncharted, The Last of Us, The Order: 1886, etc, you have a key identification of an interaction point, either with an object or a character. Those points are where and when dialogue options are usually inserted or incorporated. However, you can choose to interact or not. In an AC game, if those interactive keys do make an appearance, it'll be somewhat nonsensical, because you're reliving the memories of an ancestor. What if the ancestor interacted and you don't feel like it, or vice-versa?

As you alluded to, and very well, can it work in an AC game? Yes, dialogue options can be incorporated. But would they make sense? In my opinion, not so much, no. In fact, I believe it would certainly defeat the concept of the Animus. That's my point.

crusader_prophet
06-04-2018, 08:33 PM
In a lore standpoint, IIRC dialog choices were hinted at during Unity when Bishop warned us - The Initiates, that how Templars are even attempting at changing history through the Helix program. I'm fine with dialog choices as long as it delivers a compelling interconnected story and remains coherent all across, and also make it not seem like the series just jumped the shark. The series needs to evolve and this direction for once I do not see an issue with. Lots of TV series starts off as something, and then manages to smoothly introduce elements from other genres that we would otherwise think too absurd initially. So the key is to introduce these new things via a narrative purpose. And establish how reliving an ancestors memories through samples of genetic material allows one to manipulate past. And not just throw them in a new game.

Frag_Maniac
06-04-2018, 08:52 PM
Then again does it really make sense to go to all the trouble of adding dialog choices and varied outcomes only to have trivial affect? The main points of interest in any AC game is obviously whom gets assassinated, or conversely, whom gets positions of power. It would be like mere window dressing to offer only innocuous choices.

Besides, latest word is this Polish site people are referring to says they decided against it, which to me sounds like the sensible thing to do. There are far better places to spend dev time than on innocuous dialog choices and outcomes. If they just so much as streamlined the gear upgrade system and made lock on view less confining I'd consider it far better than trivial dialog choices with insignificant outcomes.

After all, this has always been an Action Adventure game, not an RPG. It's one thing to add a few light RPG elements here and there, that just fleshes out the game, but to add things that completely changes the flow and feel of the game is not a good idea.

joelsantos24
06-05-2018, 09:43 AM
Then again does it really make sense to go to all the trouble of adding dialog choices and varied outcomes only to have trivial affect? The main points of interest in any AC game is obviously whom gets assassinated, or conversely, whom gets positions of power. It would be like mere window dressing to offer only innocuous choices.
From my experience, dialogue options have varied contexts and outcomes. I remember that, in Uncharted 4, we have a dialogue option when Nate and Sam arrive at the commercial district of Libertalia, that is meant to delve slightly deeper into the roots of that pirate colony as well as to further develop Nate's and Sam's characters. Then again, during Nate's first encounter and hostile engagement with Nadine, one of the antagonists of the game, there're some dialogue options throughout the fight, that don't really hold any insightful meaning, other than making Nate sound more like a "smart-a**" or not. The former example is voluntary, as we can choose to skip the interaction altogether, the latter happens during character interaction, so it's forced.

Besides, latest word is this Polish site people are referring to says they decided against it, which to me sounds like the sensible thing to do. There are far better places to spend dev time than on innocuous dialog choices and outcomes. If they just so much as streamlined the gear upgrade system and made lock on view less confining I'd consider it far better than trivial dialog choices with insignificant outcomes.
I agree. Keeping dialogue options out of AC seems like the best option, in my opinion.

After all, this has always been an Action Adventure game, not an RPG. It's one thing to add a few light RPG elements here and there, that just fleshes out the game, but to add things that completely changes the flow and feel of the game is not a good idea.
Completely agreed. On the other hand, we all know about their pathological obsession with RPGs, so I think they're going to keep adding those elements, until there's nothing more to add, I'm afraid.

cawatrooper9
06-05-2018, 03:32 PM

For roleplaying purposes... maybe?

Telltale Games are famous for having almost their entire gameplay model arranged by dialogue-driven play, and to be honest the majority of dialogue choices have limited to no large-scale effect. That's why, at the end of an episode, there are generally only five or six big decisions that you get to see that you've made.

So I guess it's possible, but it might also depend on how far we're willing to say a decision doesn't deviate too much from reality.

Oh, for sure, I'd like to totally reiterate that the dialogue thing is 100% a rumor right now. All we know is that the game is currently called Assassin's Creed: Odyssey, and we've seen the logo along with a short clip of one soldier kicking another soldier off a cliff. We can't even for sure say that the game is set in Greece right now.

Less than a week until Ubisoft's E3 press conference, though, so I can only assume we should know more by then! ;)

joelsantos24
06-05-2018, 04:50 PM

Telltale Games are famous for having almost their entire gameplay model arranged by dialogue-driven play, and to be honest the majority of dialogue choices have limited to no large-scale effect. That's why, at the end of an episode, there are generally only five or six big decisions that you get to see that you've made.

So I guess it's possible, but it might also depend on how far we're willing to say a decision doesn't deviate too much from reality.
I think that the context you're referring to, makes more sense in a story-based, narrative-driven game. Not all the interactions have the same value.

Frag_Maniac
06-07-2018, 12:37 AM

Then again Telltale games are never Action Adventure like AC. If there wasn't player decisions and dialog options, there'd literally be nothing much to them. Not a very good example IMO.

AnimusLover
06-07-2018, 02:33 AM
Then again does it really make sense to go to all the trouble of adding dialog choices and varied outcomes only to have trivial affect? The main points of interest in any AC game is obviously whom gets assassinated, or conversely, whom gets positions of power. It would be like mere window dressing to offer only innocuous choices..

That's exactly what Origins did - superficially presenting itself like other RPGs for the sake of marketing but not necessarily diving into the meat of those mechanics. In that sense , it gives me hope that they won't have a choice mechanic!

SixKeys
06-07-2018, 12:14 PM
Then again Telltale games are never Action Adventure like AC. If there wasn't player decisions and dialog options, there'd literally be nothing much to them. Not a very good example IMO.

I only ever played the first two Uncharted games and those were strictly action-adventure. Now I hear the fourth game apparently has dialogue choices. If Uncharted can get away with it, why not AC?

dxsxhxcx
06-07-2018, 12:50 PM
I only ever played the first two Uncharted games and those were strictly action-adventure. Now I hear the fourth game apparently has dialogue choices. If Uncharted can get away with it, why not AC?

Just my two cents since I don't own a Playstation and have never played the game (but I've watched a few videos on youtube), I don't think Uncharted had to sacrifice its lore in order to add this feature like AC would have to do, most likely coming up with a poor excuse for that to make sense given the nature of the Animus.

joelsantos24
06-07-2018, 05:02 PM
Uncharted, just like The Last of Us of The Order, are action-adventure games, granted, but essentially, they're story-based and narrative-oriented experiences. In games such as Uncharted, the story is everything there is. In a game such as AC, it's merely one component, and one which doesn't even hold the value it used to.