PDA

View Full Version : bearcat koreia??

fordfan25
10-23-2004, 07:30 PM
was the bearcat used after ww2 ended?all i have ever heard about in Korea was the corsair and stang.not including jets lol. Wasnt the bearcat considrably better than any other fighter the USA had then?

fordfan25
10-23-2004, 07:30 PM
was the bearcat used after ww2 ended?all i have ever heard about in Korea was the corsair and stang.not including jets lol. Wasnt the bearcat considrably better than any other fighter the USA had then?

Chuck_Older
10-23-2004, 07:47 PM
Production of the F8F ended in 1949, and all were withdrawn from US service by the end of 1952.

Some saw French service in Indo-China.

The Bearcat missed WWII by a hair and was phased out just before Korea. Bad timing for such a great plane.

flemsha
10-24-2004, 12:35 AM
Yeah it was a decision between sending the F4U and the F8F, and it was decided that the F4U was better suited to combat in Korea.

The Bearcat's were phased out of USN service in 1955.

WUAF_Badsight
10-24-2004, 02:51 AM
the Corsair was used because of the amount of ordinance it could carry

Mjollnir111675
10-24-2004, 08:01 AM
S! ALL,

I have been playing fb/aep for about 6 months now.I have a question for all the aeronautical history buffs out there.And being as this is a thread concerning planes I was wondering.....

Was the A-1 Skyraider a ww2 or korean age fighter/attack a/c?
I have seen various shows containing it saying it was used in korea and vietnam.But the real question is was it a ww2 fighter? After the advent of jets I cannot really see an a/c co. producing a piston powered fighter a/c in the infant jet age.I dont know but from reading through this forum in the past 2 months due to the imminent release here in the states I know there are some really informed ppl who are up to snuff on their a/c.I dont wish to be flamed for my lack of knowledge on this a/c but I only ask because I thought I had seen it in old ww2 footage and maybe it was mentioned in a book I had read long ago.And as I have not heard anyone even mention it,it would to most, be a sign that it wasn't ww2 era but maybe post but not me.Or was it that I had read that it was in development but was not used before the end of the war.I cant remember.But I swear I had read about it being in use during the war.I dont know!!Can someone who knows their stuff help me out?

Thank You,
Mjollnir

VF-17_Jolly
10-24-2004, 08:14 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mjollnir111675:
S! ALL,

I have been playing fb/aep for about 6 months now.I have a question for all the aeronautical history buffs out there.And being as this is a thread concerning planes I was wondering.....

Was the A-1 Skyraider a ww2 or korean age fighter/attack a/c?
I have seen various shows containing it saying it was used in korea and vietnam.But the real question is was it a ww2 fighter? After the advent of jets I cannot really see an a/c co. producing a piston powered fighter a/c in the infant jet age.I dont know but from reading through this forum in the past 2 months due to the imminent release here in the states I know there are some really informed ppl who are up to snuff on their a/c.I dont wish to be flamed for my lack of knowledge on this a/c but I only ask because I thought I had seen it in old ww2 footage and maybe it was mentioned in a book I had read long ago.And as I have not heard anyone even mention it,it would to most, be a sign that it wasn't ww2 era but maybe post but not me.Or was it that I had read that it was in development but was not used before the end of the war.I cant remember.But I swear I had read about it being in use during the war.I dont know!!Can someone who knows their stuff help me out?

Thank You,
Mjollnir <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
The AD-1(Skyraider) was not used in WWII it was delivered to stateside squadrons from June 1945 but did not see any action.

SkyChimp
10-24-2004, 08:15 AM
The Douglas AD Skyraider was developed during WWII. In its first incarnation, it flew as the XBT2D-1 March 18, 1945. It was one of the few US combat aircraft that, from the very start, met or exceeded every requirement set for it. It was so highly thought of that VERY little was changed from the XBT2D-1. The designation was changed to the AD-1 and delieveries were started in November 1946.

Chuck_Older
10-24-2004, 08:16 AM
The Douglas AD-1 Skyraider had it's origins in the BTD-1 Destroyer, and was prototyped in July of 1944 as the XBT2D-1 and was breifly called the Destroyer II, but it was changed in April 1945 to "Skyraider". The protoype's first flight came almost at the end of WWII, and although the type was technically in production and delivery of the AD-1 was taking place in June 1945, the aircraft was never used operationally in WWII.

In Korea, both the USN and the USAAF used the AD-1 with great success. It was produced until 1957

Mjollnir111675
10-24-2004, 08:30 AM
S! again,

I would like to thank Jolly,SkyChimp and Chuck_Older!! As I knew there are very informed "aero-buffs" here and knew the answer wouldn't be far.It WAS that I heard it was in prod. not service!!It just made me wonder why anyone would build a piston engined a/c after the turbine age took a fim grasp.Especially when you think that it was flying side by side(not literally) with the A-6's,F-4's and various other attack jets really is tribute to one helluva plane!!

Once again,Thanks Guys,

Mjollnir

VW-IceFire
10-24-2004, 08:31 AM
I guess the Bearcat ended up being like the Mustang P-51H. It entered service in 1945 and was withdrawn in 1949 (if I remember correctly). It performed admirably but never saw combat.

I guess the P-51D's were so numerous that they were pulled out of mothballs for the ground pounding role.

SkyChimp
10-24-2004, 08:35 AM
There's a photo in McDonnell Douglas Aircraft since 1920: Volume One of the AD setting a new world's weightlifting record. 15,000 lbs of external bombs. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/53.gif

VF-17_Jolly
10-24-2004, 08:44 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mjollnir111675:
S! again,

I would like to thank Jolly,SkyChimp and Chuck_Older!! As I knew there are very informed "aero-buffs" here and knew the answer wouldn't be far.It WAS that I heard it was in prod. not service!!It just made me wonder why anyone would build a piston engined a/c after the turbine age took a fim grasp.Especially when you think that it was flying side by side(not literally) with the A-6's,F-4's and various other attack jets really is tribute to one helluva plane!!

Once again,Thanks Guys,

Mjollnir <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
It stayed in service because the jets at the time were fuel hungry and just could not carry the weapons load although slow and vunerable to jets the pro`s outweighed the con`s as it was a superb close support aircraft