PDA

View Full Version : The crew and The Officers

SleekyGeeky
05-30-2018, 08:29 PM
I've seen a few posts mentioning crew members and such but none of them really go into depth (as far as i know) of what they are and what we want them to be.
So the questions remain.
What do you want out of the crew member system?
How many is too many crew member?
Should each crew member have a small story?
How do you want to acquire crew members?
What do you want out of the officers?
How many officers should there be?
How many officers should you be able to take out at once?
Should regular crew members be able to be officers?

Personally i don't care too much of what the role of the crew actually entails. I just want to know and be able to see that each member i have is actually present on the ship (if not sent else where), and somewhat interactable. I'd be highly disappointed and immersion broken if the only indicator that i have a certain crew member on my ship is a small number on my screen. As for the story i suppose the actual acquiring part of them would be satisfying enough for me. exp: i got ted the shark hybrid here from beating him in a poker game, he still thinks i cheated. Acquiring crew members should be at least somewhat in depth rather than going into a bar and purchasing "X" amount of crew members. i want each member to be at least somewhat unique in the way i get them, the poker example is a funny type of way to get them but i would also enjoy if a lot of them had small side quests provided said side quests aren't excruciatingly repetitive and boring. Procedurally generated side quests are a nice possible solution.

As for the officers i would love a dragon age style system in how they each have a story and being able to have at least a couple tag along with you for banter purposes. though if the trailer and the small scene in the new combat video are any indicators it would seem we can only take one officer out at a time, though hopefully that was only to keep the other officers other than Knox and Shani a secret. If the heart of the story if really carried by the officers then their should be a good amount of possible officers, i think somewhere between a couple dozen would be plenty depending on how deep their stories go. I want to actually care for these officers so if having deeper stories means sacrificing having a larger amount of them i say go for it. Quality or quantity any day.

KIERROK
05-31-2018, 03:37 AM
I've seen a few posts mentioning crew members and such but none of them really go into depth (as far as i know) of what they are and what we want them to be.
So the questions remain.

Q: What do you want out of the crew member system?

A: I want to have a brother/sister in arms. If possible, I want to have them follow me on adventures across the solar system, getting into all sort of trouble. Everything from saving slaves, to highjacking a corporation CEO's private yacht.

Q: How many is too many crew member?

A: Personally, 20-60. Think Michel said you could have 100.

Q: Should each crew member have a small story?

A: Well, they said we could pick random characters to join our crew, so no two playthrough will be the same. So that would be alot of writing. However, if it's a character that's part of the main story, it's possible they will have their own story. It was said Knox may ask you for help with his family (metaphorical or blood is unsure).

Q: How do you want to acquire crew members?

A: Depends on character, and backstory (if they have one). The Tiger Kim is said to be a hunter of escaped hybrid-slaves. However, he eventually got tired of it. Maybe you're given a choice to kill or recruit him, if he's sent after you. Go to a brothel and there's a human/hybrid prostitute who's owner uses to pay off his debts, you could buy their freedom... or kill their owner.

Q: What do you want out of the officers?

A: Gameplay wise, I want my officer(s) to be able to provide an array of combat/supportive abilities. Perhaps (assuming you can have 2 or 3) one is a better pilot of one-man fighters, so s/he's able to do hit and runs on large ships, and knows the weakpoints. While another officer is more a mechanic, who can provide your main cruiser with reinforced shielding.

Part 2 answer: Character wise, someone who has a good story, and someone my character would consider a trusted friend.

Q: How many officers should there be?

A: Depends on crew size, if 20, 4 officers. If 30 or 60, then 5 or 6 officers. 1 officer would be second in command while the captain is gone. Another head of security and combat, 3rd being chief engineer. 4th being chief medical.

Q: How many officers should you be able to take out at once?

A: Same with how many officers, depends on crew size. If only 20, 1 or 2 officers. If 30 or 60 then 3, making it a 4 man squad.

Q: Should regular crew members be able to be officers?

A: Yes. If you can choose who is or isn't an officer, then you should be able to promote or depromote crewmen to officer. Back in Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood, I had high level assassins who I liked who I made "officers" that would lead a small group of assassin to assassinate a target. I was sadden when they were killed, because I felt like I lost a friend.