PDA

View Full Version : RN Seafire

noworld
11-09-2005, 05:03 PM
Hey, I'm still a newbie so please understand my diificulty.

I've been trying to get the hang of landing on a carrier. I can't seem to get the smoothness, especially at low speeds, that the training videos seem to have. I can land a Wildcat more often than not, but I was giving the Seafire ago and it is INSANELY twitchy. How do they get it to be so silky smooth on the video? Do I need a better joystick map? What are some of the solutions to low speed control and/or techniques for carrier landings that the more experienced flyers have come up with.

With the Seafire, I have maybe a 20-25% success rate getting it on the carrier in one piece, and even when I do... its UGLY.

noworld
11-09-2005, 05:03 PM
Hey, I'm still a newbie so please understand my diificulty.

I've been trying to get the hang of landing on a carrier. I can't seem to get the smoothness, especially at low speeds, that the training videos seem to have. I can land a Wildcat more often than not, but I was giving the Seafire ago and it is INSANELY twitchy. How do they get it to be so silky smooth on the video? Do I need a better joystick map? What are some of the solutions to low speed control and/or techniques for carrier landings that the more experienced flyers have come up with.

With the Seafire, I have maybe a 20-25% success rate getting it on the carrier in one piece, and even when I do... its UGLY.

Pig_Mac
11-09-2005, 05:48 PM
Try landing a Zero a few times and the seafire will feel like on autopilot http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

It seems like the wildcat is a tamecat compared to most other planes when carrier landing.

There are no ugly carrier landings as long as the gear is still attatched and the propeller have most of it's blades left.

XyZspineZyX
11-09-2005, 06:57 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by noworld:

With the Seafire, I have maybe a 20-25% success rate getting it on the carrier in one piece, and even when I do... its UGLY. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thats almost better than the real Seafire pilots.

VW-IceFire
11-09-2005, 07:11 PM
Well the Seafire never really was the greatest carrireborne fighter around, however, it was what they had on hand and it was better performing in the air than the Hurricane...and the Typhoon was completely out of the picture so the FAA had little go with.

As for landing...well you can do a few things.

Make sure your aircraft is trimmed properly (keep trimming as the speed drops), use slow movements on the throttle control, don't hamfist the joystick, just use minor controls.

You may also want to dull down your joystick settings...it may be too sensitive.

HotelBushranger
11-10-2005, 02:35 AM
The reason the training videos are so good is because its AI flying! And they are smooth as silk http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

WOLFMondo
11-10-2005, 06:12 AM
The only advantage I can see with the Seafire when landing is it doesn't need to be a 3 pointer because the hook is so **** long. I find it easier to land than the Hellcat or Corsair, it does have a very low stall speed too.