PDA

View Full Version : A question for our Brit friends

Esel1964
04-30-2006, 12:40 AM
I saw the TV series "Spitfire Ace" a year or so ago,and enjoyed it immensely.
Recently,I saw the "Bomber Crew" series,and thought it to be even better.
I realize they both had the same executive producer(Martin Davidson),and was wondering if there were any more related shows made by the same team,that I need to be looking for,since you would obviously see them before they'd air here(U.S.)?

Esel1964
04-30-2006, 12:40 AM
I saw the TV series "Spitfire Ace" a year or so ago,and enjoyed it immensely.
Recently,I saw the "Bomber Crew" series,and thought it to be even better.
I realize they both had the same executive producer(Martin Davidson),and was wondering if there were any more related shows made by the same team,that I need to be looking for,since you would obviously see them before they'd air here(U.S.)?

Bo_Nidle
04-30-2006, 12:52 AM
I don't know about the production crew but there was an excellent programme regarding the Dambusters Raid...unfortunately I cannot recall the title.

They took a modern RAF aircrew and had them refly the raid in a Lancaster simulator in real time.

The programme intercut this with recreated scenes depicting the mission minute by minute.

The only downside was that the simulator appeared to use the Dambusters add-on for CFS2 for its graphics.

Still very interesting though. If I can locate the title I'll post it.

Esel1964
04-30-2006, 01:04 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bo_Nidle:
I don't know about the production crew but there was an excellent programme regarding the Dambusters Raid...unfortunately I cannot recall the title.

They took a modern RAF aircrew and had them refly the raid in a Lancaster simulator in real time.

The programme intercut this with recreated scenes depicting the mission minute by minute.

The only downside was that the simulator appeared to use the Dambusters add-on for CFS2 for its graphics.

Still very interesting though. If I can locate the title I'll post it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That would be top notch M8.I've always been interested in The Dambusters.Many thanks.

puhakka-GB
04-30-2006, 03:12 PM
It was called "The Dambusters" and was a Tigress production for Channel 4. The book of the series was by John Sweetman, David Coward and Gary Johnstone.ISBN no 0 316 72618 4, www.TimeWarnerBooks.co.uk (http://www.TimeWarnerBooks.co.uk). It cost 15 in the UK.

danjama
04-30-2006, 05:13 PM
bump

BTW did anyone see the History Channel the other day?

There was a program which recreated famous ground battles using 3D and computers (like that dogfight one but with infantry). It was pretty damn cool. I remember the first bit was on the Band of Brothers episode at Ste mere eglise where they took those 105's.

It was a pretty cool show anywho....

AWL_Spinner
04-30-2006, 05:27 PM
Yeah, I think there've only been the ones mentioned from that crew.

The Spitfire Ace one, the Bomber one where they got to drop sacks of flour from the B17, and the dambusters one where they flew the attack in the sim - and I think some of them got a flight in the Canadian Lancaster.

All brilliant and totally absorbing, I love that stuff!

Esel1964
04-30-2006, 06:28 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by puhakka-GB:
It was called "The Dambusters" and was a Tigress production for Channel 4. The book of the series was by John Sweetman, David Coward and Gary Johnstone.ISBN no 0 316 72618 4, www.TimeWarnerBooks.co.uk (http://www.TimeWarnerBooks.co.uk). It cost 15 in the UK. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'll definitely be on the look out for that one.
Thanks

Esel1964
04-30-2006, 06:31 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by danjama:
bump

BTW did anyone see the History Channel the other day?

There was a program which recreated famous ground battles using 3D and computers (like that dogfight one but with infantry). It was pretty damn cool. I remember the first bit was on the Band of Brothers episode at Ste mere eglise where they took those 105's.

It was a pretty cool show anywho.... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah,I caught that one,it was good.I heard somewhere,that Lt. Winter's assault on those artillery pieces is still studied at West Point,as the proper way to do such an attack.

Esel1964
04-30-2006, 06:39 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by AWL_Spinner:
Yeah, I think there've only been the ones mentioned from that crew.

The Spitfire Ace one, the Bomber one where they got to drop sacks of flour from the B17, and the dambusters one where they flew the attack in the sim - and I think some of them got a flight in the Canadian Lancaster.

All brilliant and totally absorbing, I love that stuff! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The 2 I've seen were most definitely,as you say,totally absorbing.

Man,and was I ever jealous of the folks on Bomber crew,getting to ride in(or fly)both a Lancaster and a B-17.Not alot of people around now can claim that.Lucky folks indeed.