PDA

View Full Version : Is IL2. War?

JSG72
02-17-2008, 05:52 PM
When we purchased this SIM? to play on our computers.

Did we actually envisage. A change in the outcome of WW2?

It doesn't matter.

History is history. The fact that we can play this SIM to the best of our ability. Is evidence that the Allies. Won the War.(apparently)

So do we play it to re-enact this scenario? Or do we Like the fantasy of "What If"?

I ask this because there are certain among the community who like too "Rub it in" and there are others who would like to play the SIM within their own criteria.

I fall within the second scenario.

Judging by Threads on the Forum. I should not be allowed to.

This would go against the grain of a commercial venture.
And certainly against the supposed manifestations of what is allowed in a "Free World".

I therefore ask. What your reasons for buying/supporting IL2/Forgotten Battle/Pacific Fighters/"46"?

Forgive me, if this has been asked before.(Think I did but perhaps under a different context.)

JSG72
02-17-2008, 05:52 PM
When we purchased this SIM? to play on our computers.

Did we actually envisage. A change in the outcome of WW2?

It doesn't matter.

History is history. The fact that we can play this SIM to the best of our ability. Is evidence that the Allies. Won the War.(apparently)

So do we play it to re-enact this scenario? Or do we Like the fantasy of "What If"?

I ask this because there are certain among the community who like too "Rub it in" and there are others who would like to play the SIM within their own criteria.

I fall within the second scenario.

Judging by Threads on the Forum. I should not be allowed to.

This would go against the grain of a commercial venture.
And certainly against the supposed manifestations of what is allowed in a "Free World".

I therefore ask. What your reasons for buying/supporting IL2/Forgotten Battle/Pacific Fighters/"46"?

Forgive me, if this has been asked before.(Think I did but perhaps under a different context.)

Snoball7614
02-17-2008, 06:04 PM
I bought it because I LOVE history and "enjoy" learning about ww2 in particular. I actually bought this game in a used book store. I enjoy reliving history and also creating my own "what if" scenarios. LOL, from your post I see that some members have something against that (maybe?) which I think Is funny. I constantly check the forums even though I rarely reply (to many hotheads that take matters personally). All in all I'm still playing this game after three years! That speaks for itself!

Spinnetti
02-17-2008, 06:08 PM
Ummm.. because its fun? A great challenge? great to watch? Has Most of my favorite planes in it? I guess that's enough. What else matters? It's just a game - the best of its kind, but still a game.

Bearcat99
02-17-2008, 06:09 PM
I bought this sim because I always liked planes... especially WWII ones.. as for rewriting history vicariously.. or having some kind of political reason for doing it.. Not me. The history is what it is.. and I am glad that the Nazis lost the war in Europe.. and that Germany survived as a nation to rise above the chaos created during that time in it's history.

All things considered... truth be told...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">The fact that we can play this SIM to the best of our ability. Is evidence that the Allies. Won the War.(apparently) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The only real world political fact that we can garner from this sim is the fact that the cold war was over... (hopefully it will stay that way...) and that like minded individuals will take the time to find each other... in most cases that is a GOOD thing.

All I know is that from the very first time I saw a flight sim, even heard of one.. I wanted one.... My first one was F-16 Fighting Falcon for the Atari 5200.. but I had been dropping quarters in "flying games" since I was a kid... I used to go down to Playland in Times Square and there was a game there that had WWI planes on mylar sheets going in and out of a gunsight with a sound track and a recording of machine guns when yiou fired... When you hit the enemy.. a slide of flames would pop up on the aircraft and it would roll off to the side.. That was the earliest flight sim I remember.. but I am here for no other reason than the sim... and I am sure I am not alone..

IL2 is not war. War is hell. This is fun.

Lucius_Esox
02-17-2008, 06:13 PM
No it's not war but playing online sure shows up our competitive nature as a species,, all part of the drive to survive no doubt. Also I think we like being in gangs of sorts,,, makes us feel safer...

I play it because it's fun and a I like competition.

ploughman
02-17-2008, 06:14 PM
No. Game.

SeaFireLIV
02-17-2008, 06:16 PM
I bought the sim, like most sims/games that represent the war of man...

For the experience.

I want to feel the sweat and anguish and challenge of taking on the enemy (in this case, the 3rd Reich) and overcome and eventually win.

This is why I fly on as realistic difficulty as I can.

But it wasn`t enough because the outcome of the war was always the same. If I ever flew Allies there was never any fear of failure. No fear of the enemy winning means I don`t really have to try. If i don`t have to try cos we`ll win every time then what`s the point? The real men of the time DID NOT know if they were going to win, even if now they say they did. the Brits didn`t know in the battle of Britain and neither did the Russians in 1941, or even the US.

So I changed to DCG which allows the enemy to win if the Allies don`t do well enough.

For me it`s about overcoming a serious enemy and bringing good back to the world.

Flying in the freedom of the skies with guns is a bonus.

JSG72
02-17-2008, 06:23 PM
I used to play the "Slots" in Blackpool.

There used to be a game where if you shot down 10 bombers you got a free shot.
It was stuck one day and I managed to shoot down 113 bombers.

I Knew this was nonsense. and I decided to read up on reality.

Had been waiting 20 odd years. With much reading in between to find this SIM and to be able to realise the facts, about such a scenario.

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

TSmoke
02-17-2008, 09:14 PM
I bought IL-2 because it is a flight sim, combat flight sim, whatever you want to call it.

The CFS series sucked after CFS2, so thats why I bought this, or rather bought 2 copies of the original, FB, Aces,ect.

WTE_Pharoah
02-17-2008, 09:37 PM
I too purchased IL2 because I LOVE WW2-era a/c. Unfortunately I still have this boyhood interest in WW2 given it involved so much and over so many theatres. I know now the horrors of war (not first hand obviously) however I play this game to re-enact a personal 'what if I was there - could I do it like they did?'. that is why I always play SP missions using my own name.

I personally don't like 'what if' scenarios because in the back of my mind, I know it was not real eg. 1946, jets, etc. Not to say that playing a sim is real, its just that I'd love to play a USAAF pilot trying to take off from Clarke a/field whilst the japs bombed the Pearl, jump into my spit to try and stop hordes of Nazi bombers, etc etc etc.

Thats why I buy and play these sort of games. on the same token, I also go to airshows and check out air museums whenever possible.

HayateAce
02-17-2008, 09:50 PM
I like shooting down 109s and 190s using P38, P40, P47 and P51s. Since Oleg made this more difficult that it was in RL, I enjoy it even MORE.

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/winky.gif

VW-IceFire
02-17-2008, 10:02 PM
I enjoy history allot and I also enjoy aviation and the two naturally meld together well for me. Actually I like anything with an engine in it http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Historical accuracy is very important for me but...its important to think about history from as many perspectives as possible. That does mean exploring the historical what-if scenarios...it makes us stand back and think about all of the variables involved and how if just one event had changed how the whole course of history could change. It also gives us the chance to experience something that didn't happen but in a number of ways COULD have happened. Now some may be saying...the Lerche isn't real...and fine thats ok (its fun to fly tho!) but the He-162D versus Mig-9 is a historical what-if that could have taken place and its an incredible sight to see and its lots of fun.

At the end of the day I keep coming back because the game is challenging but satisfying and ultimately...its fun! Don't forget that http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

K_Freddie
02-18-2008, 01:18 AM
This IS WAR !!! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Just luvvvvv a decent flight sim (I've only found one so far). Besides being able to do 'almost the unreal' with a sim, when online this sim teaches what they, then, probably had to endure.

I think it's more of an exciting history lesson in air combat. We're all nuts about aircraft and what better opportunity than to 're-live' the experience.
http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

KG66_Gog
02-18-2008, 01:57 AM
It puzzles me that people still think that Germany lost? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif

JtD
02-18-2008, 09:35 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Spinnetti:
Ummm.. because its fun? A great challenge? great to watch? Has Most of my favorite planes in it? I guess that's enough. What else matters? It's just a game - the best of its kind, but still a game. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Same here, but on the UBI boards I understood that this concept is too simple to be understood by some. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

sgt.dumpster
02-18-2008, 08:30 PM
I'm totally agree with KG66_Gog on this one!!!!!!-astrogoth

T_O_A_D
02-18-2008, 08:39 PM
I bought it, because it was way better than CFS and Janes WW2 Fighters.

I got involved in Flight sims though, because ever since I built my first airplane model.
BF-109 I've wanted to fly, and fly a WW2 plane.

At this time it is the only affordable way for me to even get close.

I'm a plane *****, I fly them all, but on a even server, with even skills the Axis has the upper hand, one shot one kill aircraft are a formible foe, if flown correctly and as a team.

Had Germany had the same luxury in the real episode, I'm afraid alot of us would still be doing the Goose step.

steiner562
02-18-2008, 09:00 PM
That funny toad considering the best aircraft in this sim are the allied stuff,the russian aircraft for one,and then the spitfire,some people will never be happy,back to topic:
I fly this sim because I like the Eastern Front scenario.

Gringo_UK1
02-18-2008, 09:06 PM
I play this game because I don't actually die after plummeting earthwards at high velocity wondering if the ground wants to be friends http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif(A regular occurance http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_redface.gif)