PDA

View Full Version : Xbox Latency Question

Mirage6201
05-18-2018, 06:13 PM
I figured out how to time attacks on XB1 and I was surprised by the results. My results are based from attack indicator to damage or parry and my calc method was verified against bots.

I thought that the attack time of my opponent would be based on the latency of each player added together minus 33ms lag comp, however it wasnít. Iím sure it is more complicated.

For example, a Nobushi with an 80ms average latency was easy to parry with my latency being 30ms. For his top 600ms light I figured it would come out as 600ms-(80+30)+33ms=523ms. However timing it was 633ms. His 500ms light was 533ms. How am I getting the full frames and an extra frame (1 frame = 33ms) unless the latency times displayed in For Honor are wrong?

I have seen 600ms attacks take 566ms which seems more legit as a two way latency of 60ms is reasonable minus 33ms lag comp puts you at 573ms.

I assume everyone has had that moment where the other players lights are easy to parry. There are even those moments where I think everybody parries my lights. Is For Honor slowing down attacks more than they should?

Knight_Raime
05-18-2018, 06:23 PM
This is a bit confusing to me. I don't know how everything fits together. I just know that the latency of the match is yours plus theirs. and that the 33ms extra isn't a constant thing that's exerted in match at all times. But merely an extra frame tacked on to most actions.

I also know that buffered attacks (or when you combo naturally by pressing the next attack during your first one) result in things being 100ms slower. And delaying something in combo puts the attack at it's correct speed. So as an example if your light light combo is supposed to be 500ms for both attacks and you buffer the second your first light is still 500ms but the second comes out at 600ms. However if you delay the input of the second attack both lights will be 500ms.

The devs are aware of the buffer problem and are (as i've been told) currently trying to address it.

UbiJurassic
05-18-2018, 09:45 PM
We actually did a deep dive into understanding how latency works and how the lag compensation in For Honor works with a blog post we made back in April (https://forhonor.ubisoft.com/game/en-us/news-community/152-321584-16/input-delay-in-for-honor). It's definitely worth the read!

Mirage6201
05-19-2018, 02:47 AM
I have read it and believe I understand it. In summary the attack speed will be faster by the sum of both players latency minus 33ms. However, this is not how itís working all the time bc Iím getting the full animation with an additional 33ms to react on some attacks.

This was really noticeable when fighting a Nobushi. I calculated a 633ms reaction time for a top light and 533 ms for a side light. How am I getting more time when latency should always shorten the animation. It was so easy to parry. Maybe the latency is showing the wrong values.