PDA

View Full Version : I believe the quit penalty needs to return

CandleInTheDark
05-16-2018, 11:26 AM
I get why the devs took away the quit penalty and I get the general feeling that one of the main purposes it served is no longer an issue with stable servers (for most) in place.

At the same time, people are quitting games that are winnable if they stick with it and take and hold (and maybe boost? It feels like I am the only one that does it these days) a zone. Suddenly a team 200 down, and I am not even talking teams that have been constantly 4v1'd, are two players down and the two bots are feeding kills and renown to the opposing team.

While stable servers are a good thing I believe that this is just as bad for the gameplay experience, teams that could turn the tide suddenly get steamrolled and the team that is winning is robbed of a challenge as level one and two bots pose next to no resistance People are instead quitting in the hopes of finding a game that they wind up on the winning side of a rout and those players especially are the ones that such a measure needs to be brought in place for, why spend five minutes trying to win a game when the next one might have you a guaranteed win in the same time? Those are the kind of players that either need a ten minute timeout for the sake of people they get grouped with on both teams and to give less reason for just quitting to find the next one.

Kryltic
05-16-2018, 11:37 AM
I agree it needs to come back. It's annoying when people leave the second their team is put on the back foot rather than actually trying to win.

That said I've been in plenty of games where my team mates feed our opponents renown by running one at a time again all 4 enemies who are hugging an objective so I can see why some people choose to leave rather thwn waste time in that sort of scenario.

I do think the 30sec timer to leave a game with no penalty should be extended to a minute though.

SpaceJim12
05-16-2018, 01:37 PM
The worst thing here is that any situation could be turnaround in couple minutes if team change strategy or win team fight. But if at this moment one or two players leaving the game, thay made it easy win for enemies.
I saw really rare situations where 4 players were compleatly useless against other 4 (most time it's compared with gear stats, or huge skill gap), but in opposite I saw a lot situations when 50/50 chance game became 100% loose, when your teammates start to leave.

why spend five minutes trying to win a game when the next one might have you a guaranteed win in the same time?

I don't think quiters can find a lot guaranteed win games. Still it's better to wait until the end, than leave a lobby. First, you get XP and loot anyway, second, you at least knew that you did all you can for win. After all, I always think For Honor is most about process than cheap winnings.

Alustar.
05-16-2018, 01:45 PM
I think it's funny that the devs want this to be taken seriously as a competitive MLG title, but then do things like this that in no way encourage or reinforce that paradigm.

ArmoredChocobo
05-16-2018, 01:48 PM
I wouldn’t quit if the team didn’t spend all their time trying to heavy spam one guy or broke themselves on the enemy gank squads one at a time.

The bigger problem is the bot that replaces them. PvP bots should always be level 3.

XJadeDragoonX
05-16-2018, 02:28 PM
The quit penalty is and always was imaginary. You can just close the app and you won't receive a penalty. Adding back in is inconsequential. And people quit the same amount as when there was a penalty. You're just imagining the increase

Vakris_One
05-16-2018, 02:50 PM
The quit penalty is and always was imaginary. You can just close the app and you won't receive a penalty. Adding back in is inconsequential. And people quit the same amount as when there was a penalty. You're just imagining the increase
No there is a definite increase in quitters on PC now that there's no time out penalty involved. I mean for sure, you could always do a Floras and task kill the app or use an internet kill switch but not many people are as determined as him to pad their win/loss ratio.

For most normal folks it's all about how much hassle something is worth. Task killing the game is a lot of hassle as you will easily waste like 3-4 minutes just loading it up again. Same with pulling the internet cable. The most convenient thing is to quit the match and immediately cue up for another now that there's no time out. In fact it is too convenient since it actually takes less time to quit and re-cue than to finish out a Dominion match.

At least when we had the time-out penalty the quickest and most convenient thing for most normal people to do was to stay and play out the match.

BTTrinity
05-16-2018, 03:09 PM
I didnt even know they removed it tho.

Yep, it should definitely come back.

Been playing a lot of Casuals in Rb6Siege and people ragequit after losing 1 round and Im just like "I see why For Honor has its quit penalty"

Tatsu147146
05-16-2018, 03:29 PM
Yeah, well sometimes you're just stuck with a bunch of "teammates" that clearly don't know anything about how strategy works and (like myself) you really want out. I get that the timer is a good way to keep people there but if you are so enraged by your teammates I'd just shut down the application hoping they get skewered. Not that I ragequit a lot but sometimes I do. It's not even the losing part that angers me the most, it's how. I've been in teams where we are losing but the teammates LISTEN to each other instead of going in without a plan and are able to reach a double breaking and even if we lose after that there is still a sense of satisfaction that we didn't lose because they decided to go with some urge to commit mass suicide and face the enemy with no plan whatsoever. So I'm not sure there ever really was a quit penalty just piss me off enough and I'd get the hell out of there one way or another.

SpaceJim12
05-16-2018, 03:45 PM
Yeah, well sometimes you're just stuck with a bunch of "teammates" that clearly don't know anything about how strategy works and (like myself) you really want out. I get that the timer is a good way to keep people there but if you are so enraged by your teammates I'd just shut down the application hoping they get skewered. Not that I ragequit a lot but sometimes I do. It's not even the losing part that angers me the most, it's how. I've been in teams where we are losing but the teammates LISTEN to each other instead of going in without a plan and are able to reach a double breaking and even if we lose after that there is still a sense of satisfaction that we didn't lose because they decided to go with some urge to commit mass suicide and face the enemy with no plan whatsoever. So I'm not sure there ever really was a quit penalty just piss me off enough and I'd get the hell out of there one way or another.

Have at least drop of selfrespect and leave teammates in lobby after the game.
I could understand what you mean, but rage quit is not an answer.
I got once situation in Heroes of the Storm, when one teammate wrote down in chat "it's hopless game, useless teammates" and start just afk/feed enemy team. This happen after a minute (ONE min) after game start. Whay he make conclusions that we all useless? I don't know. But when we finally loose playing 4vs.5 he just wrote "As I expected".
It's just stupid. If you see your teammates made mistakes, try communicate, if it's useless after all, do you beat to make this loose not like "0 vs. 1000 loose" and than walk away.

Alustar.
05-16-2018, 06:15 PM
You guys need to stop using poor team composition as the reason you want to be able to leave matches freely. Not only is that argument extremely flimsy, it shows a level of immaturity that doesn't belong in team based games. It takes a group effort to both win and lose.
This is a scapegoat argument that is likely am attempt to detract from your own skill, or lack thereof. No one likes losing, I get that, but trying to pin it on your team, rather than accepting responsibility, is both asinine and childish. I really can't think of a better example of poor sportsmanship than leaving a match like that and blossoming it on a ****ty team. How about instead of blaming other players you grow a pair and just say what you mean, that you only want to play matches you know you are going to win.

Arekonator
05-16-2018, 06:51 PM
Having bad teammates is one thing. Having bad teammates that keep constantly sabotaging everything you do is another matter entirely. It tilts you way more than anything enemy can do.
I rarely leave myself, but i understand why some do it.

UbiJurassic
05-16-2018, 10:59 PM
I get why the devs took away the quit penalty and I get the general feeling that one of the main purposes it served is no longer an issue with stable servers (for most) in place.

At the same time, people are quitting games that are winnable if they stick with it and take and hold (and maybe boost? It feels like I am the only one that does it these days) a zone. Suddenly a team 200 down, and I am not even talking teams that have been constantly 4v1'd, are two players down and the two bots are feeding kills and renown to the opposing team.

While stable servers are a good thing I believe that this is just as bad for the gameplay experience, teams that could turn the tide suddenly get steamrolled and the team that is winning is robbed of a challenge as level one and two bots pose next to no resistance People are instead quitting in the hopes of finding a game that they wind up on the winning side of a rout and those players especially are the ones that such a measure needs to be brought in place for, why spend five minutes trying to win a game when the next one might have you a guaranteed win in the same time? Those are the kind of players that either need a ten minute timeout for the sake of people they get grouped with on both teams and to give less reason for just quitting to find the next one.

If I remember correctly, Pope stated that we were taking out the quit penalty, but that it wasn't a permanent change. While I don't know if, when or in what capacity it may return, I'll definitely get that information along to everyone if I hear any news. In the meantime, I'll certainly pass along your feedback and the comments in this thread to the team.

Knight_Raime
05-16-2018, 11:39 PM
I don't want to be penalized for quitting until the "find new opponent" button actually works and doesn't rematch me with the same guy 4 times in a row.
I get that duels are not as popular as they used to be but population shouldn't be an issue yet. I can only assume the current search paramiters prioritize reducing as much down time in between matches as possible. This should change at least for dueling.

It's pretty redic that I have to wait 5 minutes just to have a decent chance at not matching with the same person again. I'd much rather have a handful of minutes of downtime between duels to guarantee a new opponent then getting thrown at some toxic dude 5 matches in a row because "gobba reduce down time between matches."

Devils-_-legacy
05-17-2018, 12:04 AM
I'd rather they don't take it away as I only use it for games that are handi capped.
Like suddnly 1 or 2 teammates quit by the start of the game and no one's joined after a few minutes or my enemy has a ridiculous ping like 150 and up. And I don't mind losing but I'd rather play a fair game then one I'm just going to get slaughtered in.

Arekonator
05-17-2018, 12:12 AM
What i would like to see:
People who quit certain percent of their matches (20%+?) will get placed in separate queue with another quitters.

ArmoredChocobo
05-17-2018, 12:30 AM
Have at least drop of selfrespect and leave teammates in lobby after the game.
I could understand what you mean, but rage quit is not an answer.
I got once situation in Heroes of the Storm, when one teammate wrote down in chat "it's hopless game, useless teammates" and start just afk/feed enemy team. This happen after a minute (ONE min) after game start. Whay he make conclusions that we all useless? I don't know. But when we finally loose playing 4vs.5 he just wrote "As I expected".
It's just stupid. If you see your teammates made mistakes, try communicate, if it's useless after all, do you beat to make this loose not like "0 vs. 1000 loose" and than walk away.

Chat? On For Honor?

Maybe if Ubisoft adds a hotkey for “stop fighting in the middle of nowhere and boost something”.

HazelrahFirefly
05-17-2018, 01:09 AM
I'd rather they don't take it away as I only use it for games that are handi capped.
Like suddnly 1 or 2 teammates quit by the start of the game and no one's joined after a few minutes or my enemy has a ridiculous ping like 150 and up. And I don't mind losing but I'd rather play a fair game then one I'm just going to get slaughtered in.

I was going to bring this up exactly. When I fight opponents that consistently are slipping around with high ping, I'm outta there. That's not even playing FH at that point.

Devils-_-legacy
05-17-2018, 01:19 AM
I was going to bring this up exactly. When I fight opponents that consistently are slipping around with high ping, I'm outta there. That's not even playing FH at that point.

I don't see a point when my ping rate is 23-32 they can parry me but at 150 and up the lag Is nightmarish and I can only rely on block while they teleport round the map lol

CandleInTheDark
05-17-2018, 02:03 AM
For most of the issues that is what the 30 second grace period is for, same duel opponent? Quit (I am assuming it was for duel also), flick up the scoreboard and four 100 latency pings, quit. But do it in the first thirty seconds where unless you joined on the last game in progress slot in the case of 4v4 so you don't bork over your teammates, not two minutes in because you lost the first few fights and have ground to make up.

And yes people are leaving more frequently, the game I had before typing the post the last two on the opponents' team were relying on bots for half the match and were slaughtered because of it. And while there is no guarantee that you will find a game you are winning but I have seen people advocate exactly that on reddit, all might as well quit and maybe next time you're the one against the team that that winds up with two bots and you can get a quick win. The people who do that after the game is a few minutes in are the ones this kind of quit penalty is needed for.

HazelrahFirefly
05-17-2018, 02:55 AM
Except 2/3 of the way in you can have someone join who has a ping higher than pong. I dont want to play in that.

CandleInTheDark
05-17-2018, 03:14 AM
Problem there being you then leave your teammates dealing not only with that but with having a bot that feeds the opponents renown. And the fact is that I am seeing it happen in a lot of games where everyone has 20-30 latency, I would guess a lot more than in fights where a high ping user suddenly arrives.

HazelrahFirefly
05-17-2018, 12:11 PM
I get ya, but,
A) my teammates should just quit out as well
B) that's not me. I won't leave unless it's an extreme case
C) I have not noticed an increase in players leaving at all (ps4)

SpaceJim12
05-17-2018, 12:23 PM
C) I have not noticed an increase in players leaving at all (ps4)

On PC are enough players leave matches. And still low numbers of leavers could have simple explanation - they don't know, that penalty gone. I didn't know this until Candle's thread, and really think it's again some issues with dedicated servers, that people have connection error here and there. And now I know real reason.

Devils-_-legacy
05-17-2018, 01:36 PM
I think we have had diffrent experiences Im in more games where the ping rate jumps from stable a 32 to after there first death to 150 that's nornally when I leave or I use the grace period if it hasn't been 30 secs

CandleInTheDark
05-17-2018, 03:11 PM
I think we have had diffrent experiences Im in more games where the ping rate jumps from stable a 32 to after there first death to 150 that's nornally when I leave or I use the grace period if it hasn't been 30 secs

Might be we've had different experiences, yeah, in my own case I have far more often been on either side of teams who are left with bots who might have been better off if the bots weren't there at all because at least their opponents wouldn't get the snowball effect of feats than I have ping.

Jacques-Le-Coq
05-17-2018, 03:59 PM
Only time I ever left games, is when the matchmaking is horrendously lopsided, IE Rep of my team > 200 vs team of rep < 500. Because I know I'm just gonna end up getting ganked 1v4 and emote spammed so hard my eyes will fly out my ***. Also if anyone of my opponents has more than 100+ ping, because fighting them is just stupid when their attacks come out with no start up. This is honestly just my opinion on 4v4 or tribute of course. Duel and brawl should have timers proportionate to the estimated time in the match, although I guess it is pretty good feeling when your dueling opponent rage quits, I mean you still get rewards at the end of the duel right? so onward to the next unfortunate person to meet your wrath.

SpaceJim12
05-17-2018, 04:28 PM
Only time I ever left games, is when the matchmaking is horrendously lopsided, IE Rep of my team > 200 vs team of rep < 500. Because I know I'm just gonna end up getting ganked 1v4 and emote spammed so hard my eyes will fly out my ***. Also if anyone of my opponents has more than 100+ ping, because fighting them is just stupid when their attacks come out with no start up.

So as Candle said, 30 sec window are enough to left in both cases.
But I see so many situation when 200+ rep guys were compleatly useless in the end, so I can't see any real reason to quit cause of it. You always could quit after the game, when you "end up getting ganked 1v4 and emote spammed" for real.

Vakris_One
05-17-2018, 05:03 PM
I don't want to be penalized for quitting until the "find new opponent" button actually works and doesn't rematch me with the same guy 4 times in a row.
I get that duels are not as popular as they used to be but population shouldn't be an issue yet. I can only assume the current search paramiters prioritize reducing as much down time in between matches as possible. This should change at least for dueling.

It's pretty redic that I have to wait 5 minutes just to have a decent chance at not matching with the same person again. I'd much rather have a handful of minutes of downtime between duels to guarantee a new opponent then getting thrown at some toxic dude 5 matches in a row because "gobba reduce down time between matches."
The 30 second grace period is still there so you won't be penalised if you leave the match immediately. The "find new opponent" button really is troll worthy at this point. It happens in Brawl as well as Duel, you choose find new opponent and it immediatelly puts you with the same player(s) you just had a match with.

It's pretty much the "rematch but lie to us about it" button. I'm not ashamed to say I used it once to troll an obnoxious player in Duel who kept losing to me and typing salty toxicity in chat even after he tried every cheese move and ledge opportunity he could find. As an experiment I kept hitting "rematch" after he'd gone and lo and behold I kept getting matched with him again and again.

The way to manually ensure you find a new opponent is to wait one or two minutes before hitting "find new opponent". It defeats the purpose of the "find new opponent" function though since you're doing all the work of recuing into another pool from scratch.

HazelrahFirefly
05-17-2018, 07:29 PM
How about if a new grace period opened up every time someone joined in the match, a new 30 seconds to see that their ping is too high for your tastes?