PDA

View Full Version : Getting rid of jaggies for nvidia users

TheFamilyMan
01-08-2011, 01:18 PM
If you are using a gtx series nvidia card (2xx, 4xx, 5xx), this is how to smooth out those coast/river bank jaggies. First off, you need to be running 25x or 26x drivers. Second, you'll need this program: nvidia inspector (http://downloads.guru3d.com/NVIDIA-Inspector-1.94-download-2612.html). Nvidia inspector is no more than a back door to driver settings and it's not a patch or a hack. Once you got the above installed:
1. Start nvidia inspector.
2. Click on the box that is to the right of the driver version (it is adorned with a wrench crossing a screwdriver); another window will appear.
3. In that window, select the contents of the box labeled 'Profiles:' (which is on the top of the window) and type 'IL'. This filters the known profiles; select the IL-2 FB+AE entry in the list.
4. This will list the complete driver profile for IL-2 FB+AE. In 'Antialiasing - Mode', click on its setting value and select 'Override any application setting'.
5. In the 'Antialiasing - Setting', click on its setting value and select '8xSQ [Combined 2x2 SS + 2x MS]'; this is the magical setting that kills the jaggies.
6. Optional (i.e. my preferences): transparent AA is of no value and actually messes up SansFOV if enabled; AF set to 'Application-controlled'; 'Vertical Sync' set to Force on.
7. Click on 'Apply changes' in the upper right corner; if you don't all be will be for naught.
8. Fire up IL-2 and enjoy those smoothed out antenna wires, coasts and river banks.

Using 8xSQ AA mode has a definite performance hit but if you got a gtx 260 or better it shouldn't matter that much (provided you are not driving a high resolution). Anyways, give it a try; you'll love it! S!

P.S. If you are using 1XX drivers, nhancer can be used to set 8xSQ AA but you'll have to figure out how to do so on your own. Note if you are low res 'see the dot first flyer' don't bother using this.

TheFamilyMan
01-08-2011, 01:18 PM
If you are using a gtx series nvidia card (2xx, 4xx, 5xx), this is how to smooth out those coast/river bank jaggies. First off, you need to be running 25x or 26x drivers. Second, you'll need this program: nvidia inspector (http://downloads.guru3d.com/NVIDIA-Inspector-1.94-download-2612.html). Nvidia inspector is no more than a back door to driver settings and it's not a patch or a hack. Once you got the above installed:
1. Start nvidia inspector.
2. Click on the box that is to the right of the driver version (it is adorned with a wrench crossing a screwdriver); another window will appear.
3. In that window, select the contents of the box labeled 'Profiles:' (which is on the top of the window) and type 'IL'. This filters the known profiles; select the IL-2 FB+AE entry in the list.
4. This will list the complete driver profile for IL-2 FB+AE. In 'Antialiasing - Mode', click on its setting value and select 'Override any application setting'.
5. In the 'Antialiasing - Setting', click on its setting value and select '8xSQ [Combined 2x2 SS + 2x MS]'; this is the magical setting that kills the jaggies.
6. Optional (i.e. my preferences): transparent AA is of no value and actually messes up SansFOV if enabled; AF set to 'Application-controlled'; 'Vertical Sync' set to Force on.
7. Click on 'Apply changes' in the upper right corner; if you don't all be will be for naught.
8. Fire up IL-2 and enjoy those smoothed out antenna wires, coasts and river banks.

Using 8xSQ AA mode has a definite performance hit but if you got a gtx 260 or better it shouldn't matter that much (provided you are not driving a high resolution). Anyways, give it a try; you'll love it! S!

P.S. If you are using 1XX drivers, nhancer can be used to set 8xSQ AA but you'll have to figure out how to do so on your own. Note if you are low res 'see the dot first flyer' don't bother using this.

Ba5tard5word
01-08-2011, 02:38 PM
Hmm well I just tried this and it does seem to work on my 470! I just tried a QMB thing over Okinawa where the islands are usually really jaggy, and now they have a foggy sort of look to them that looks a lot nicer.

But it seems like it adds in a weird effect in the ocean at certain points that looks like a vertical plume of smoke below the horizon, do you see that on the Okinawa map? I'll mess around with this more in a bit.

Nice find! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

TheFamilyMan
01-08-2011, 03:44 PM
I tried Okinawa and got that same plume effect with my gtx 275. Dang nab-it!

But this fixed the problem: use 8xSQ [Combined 2x2 SS + 2x MS]

And it is definitely a performance hit!

P.S. Edited the OP to reflect this change.

thefruitbat
01-08-2011, 05:36 PM
interesting, does this mean i don't have to use different dll's now, and can use the normal 4.09 ones?

by the way, i normally run 16xQ AA, how does this fit in with the above, or do i have to go 8xSQ?

Ba5tard5word
01-08-2011, 07:44 PM
Still getting the plume thing with 8XSQ.

TheFamilyMan
01-08-2011, 08:18 PM
I don't see that plume with the 8xSQ AA on any map I've tried, Okinawa included. I'm running 1680x1050 with my gtx 275, 260.99 driver. I might drop using this setting for I'm seeing stutters at times when flying low; but other than that no problems here. Just a stupid question: did you remember to click the 'Apply changes' button?

I'm using the delivered 4.09 .dlls. The 8xSQ replaces 16xQ AA, though it is just as effective (or more so in some ways) and it's only available though nvidia Inspector.

Ba5tard5word
01-09-2011, 01:03 AM
Well I tried 8xSQ again with transparent AA off and it made the plume go away. But transparent AA reduces jaggies in the cockpit I think, with it off all the instruments have jaggies. I tried it with 8xSQ on and transparency set to off/multisampling and it really makes the framerate bad.

sabre365
01-09-2011, 07:27 AM
If your frames drop too much with these changes try it with vsync forced off. I got about a 5% boost in the black death track and it didn't seems to affect the graphics in anyway on my system. E6600 with GTX460.

thefruitbat
01-09-2011, 09:42 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by sabre365:
If your frames drop too much with these changes try it with vsync forced off. I got about a 5% boost in the black death track and it didn't seems to affect the graphics in anyway on my system. E6600 with GTX460. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

will increase your avg and max, but won't change your min, which is the important one.

rnewnes
01-09-2011, 01:42 PM
Hi, I am runnibg a geforce 8800gt, and do not see the option 8 x SQ, the nearest I see is MIXEDSAMPLE_8x SKEWED_8TP, please advise, many thanks, Bruce

stelr
01-09-2011, 02:15 PM
I'm running the old drivers (19X series?) for my GTX 280 because I use nHancer and it is not compatible with the 25X or higher drivers.

Can you tell me if this nVidia Inspector program is the same or better than nHancer?

I sure would like to upgrade drivers but nHancer has allowed me to finally see dots (reasonably well) in full 1920 x 1200.

TheFamilyMan
01-09-2011, 02:50 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by stelr:
I'm running the old drivers (19X series?) for my GTX 280 because I use nHancer and it is not compatible with the 25X or higher drivers.

Can you tell me if this nVidia Inspector program is the same or better than nHancer?

I sure would like to upgrade drivers but nHancer has allowed me to finally see dots (reasonably well) in full 1920 x 1200. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>AFAIK nvidia inspector provides the same functionality as nhancer though in a different format. What is interesting is that nvidia inspector will not work with the 1xx drivers. If you are comfortable and knowledgeable about uninstalling/install drivers, you can always try the 260.99 with nvidia inspector and go back to 19x/nhancer if it doesn't work for you. I've done this myself a few times between 19x and 2xx drivers with no ill effects.

I'm no advocate for nvidia inspector nor a high end expert about using it; the only card I've used with it is my gtx 275. I'm simply reporting a potential fix for jaggies which I've discovered. For some it may be a blessing, for others a PITA or completely useless (as it may be for non-gtx series cards). Use at your own risk (but if you know what you are doing there isn't any), S!

Crash_Moses
01-09-2011, 02:57 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by rnewnes:
Hi, I am runnibg a geforce 8800gt, and do not see the option 8 x SQ, the nearest I see is MIXEDSAMPLE_8x SKEWED_8TP, please advise, many thanks, Bruce </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't think what is being discussed applies to your card, Bruce. I'm running a 9800GTX and I was able to make all the above changes via the standard Nvidia control panel and it did indeed remove the jaggies (thanks to TheFamilyMan for pointing out the override any application tip).

However, 8x dropped my FPS dramatically (running 1920x1050). I dialed back to 4x and everything looks great. In addition I turned on transparencies and have had no problems with San's FOV changer and the clouds look much better.

For the rest of you, try turning off threaded optimization if you can. That should improve FPS on all Nvidia cards quite a bit.

rnewnes
01-09-2011, 04:14 PM
Hi "crash Moses, Thanks for that, Is my 8800gt card a lower spec than your 98oogtx, If so I might think about upgrading, Thanks, Bruce

Crash_Moses
01-09-2011, 05:08 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by rnewnes:
Hi "crash Moses, Thanks for that, Is my 8800gt card a lower spec than your 98oogtx, If so I might think about upgrading, Thanks, Bruce </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have an XFX PCI-E 2.0 Black Edition card (factory overclocked). However, it is no longer manufactured and very hard to find (so much for my dreams of tri-SLI).

I have found similar cards from XFX that are selling around $110 though.

Mine's a bit faster but your 8800 should be more than enough for IL-2. If you're going to upgrade I recommend going with the best card your motherboard and wallet will support. The 9800 series is getting a little long in the tooth.

S!

rnewnes
01-10-2011, 09:50 AM
Hi Crash Moses,
Thanks for all your advice,Bruce