PDA

View Full Version : Apparently, I Suck at Fighting Highlanders

Archo-Vax
05-15-2018, 04:32 AM
Yep.

PepsiBeastin
05-15-2018, 04:51 AM
So to summarize, this post is to whine rather than ask a question or provide something constructive.

Archo-Vax
05-15-2018, 05:03 AM
So to summarize, this post is to whine rather than ask a question or provide something constructive.

More like an indirect invitation to ask for advice.

PepsiBeastin
05-15-2018, 05:05 AM
More like an indirect invitation to ask for advice.

Then google a guide or directly ask, don't fill the forum with clutter.

mrmistark
05-15-2018, 08:50 AM
Well, seeing as you have already “filled the forum with clutter” we might as well help make the thread productive rather than filling the thread itself “with clutter” that gives 0 constructive advice, right?

As someone who mains Highlander, here is my advice:

Defensive stance:
- in this mode, you should be using as many mix-ups and baits at least at first as you can for 2 reasons. Firstly he has counter strikes for 30 damage each and as they are safer than trying to parry AND deal more damage, so if you can manage to bait a counter into a parry, which is slow, then you come out on top with a free heavy. The more pressure you can apply the more likely they will attempt this to try and stop your attacks and fast flow into offensive stance out of desperation. The other thing people tend to do is trade with heavies with armor. You need to watch out for this, which is why baiting comes in handy. You need to do this early on to see exactly what the players typical go to is for trying to counter your aggression so you will be able to be better equipped. It is also inportant to note that light->heavy-> heavy is a a chain with Highlander and the heavy can be slightly delayed as well. I get many people with this all of the time. They assume the light into heavy is the end, further convinced by my delay with the last heavy and then they try to GB or attack just for me to trade in my favor. Watch out for this. Not many other use this but just be aware of it.

The other typical playstyle people do is Celtic curse fast flow into offensive stance. This ties into my biggest advice with HL and that’s to dodge everything late just before it would hit. You can parry the Celtic curse too. With the ability to not have the attack fly and to just go into OS, this is even more important though. He lunges, wait last minute. Doing this will tell you the attack is going through which you block, dodge or parry, he spins in which case parry/block opposite his spin, or his attack stops which you should GB or throw the quickest attack you have to negate OS.

Now for OS:
It goes without saying but attack as soon as you can. Again, dodge last second. If you wait to dodge until kick would just almost hit you can dodge both the caber toss and kick into GB. When you see a kick coming, be wary of attacking as a soft fient into caber toss tends to always catch you before the attack can land. Just dodge or roll in this situation, everything else is moot unless you got a 400ms attack, but even this can still not land if not thrown immediately. Give as much space your character can manage, this will give room to react and counter, while taking out HL main resource to stay in OS which is his light attacks as an interupt. His UB heavies aren’t a huge deal, it’s the guarantee that he can get one off if he gets the kick or toss. One big thing others forget is he can cancel out of this stance at any time, so still don’t be throwing your slow predictable attacks as much or you could get countered.

Overall, be aggressive but as unpredictable and non-patternistic as possible. When he finally gets some room to be aggressive in OS, attack as soon as you safely can, late dodges and reaction space are going to be your best friend. Hope this helps at least a little. Admittedly other poster is right on one thing, and that is the fact seeing it in a video would probably help reinforce what I’m talking about in a more comprehensive manner.