PDA

View Full Version : The story problem

SWalli799
05-13-2018, 04:00 PM
There is one point I canít get comfortable with since the announcement of BGE2 and the last developersí stream didnít change it. It made it even a bit worse.

I really hoped we would be able to play as Dakini and her crew. I would love to see how she became the captain of the Gada. How she met Shani, Knox and the rest of her crew and became the leader of this strange mixed squad. Now we have to play with a character created by our own.

The gameplay itself sounds fun and making progress with your crew is a thing I can imagine very well. But the story problem is a huge minus at least for a game with such a great ancestor. It is like the story we play is not the story that stands in the centre of the genre.

On the one side they show us the cool trailers with Knox and Co. but on the other hand they tell us that you will not be able to play as them.
I already see it coming. At some point in the game I will meet Dakini, her crew, baby jade, peyj and the only thing I want to know will be their story. What are they doing? Where are they going? How did they get to know each other? Why are they loyal to Dakini? But the game will tell me straight into the face that I am unlucky and I will never be affiliated to their story nor will I be part of their crew. Dakini will go her way and I have to do something else. Of course we will meet her again if something important happens but that will feel extremely strange. Like all the important stuff happens to Dakini and not to me.

I have of course played BGE1. We hardly know anything about Jade. The only fact we know is that there are many mysteries around her.

With BGE2 we play a game in which we should learn about her past. But we play with a character we created by ourselves. How it was already mentioned by others in different threads these characters will never be as deep as the story given characters. The big problem that makes this whole thing even worse is the feeling that the true story takes place without us. Even if you witness the key events of the mainstory you will always feel that Dakini, Jade and the others are experiencing the true adventure. And of course they do because in BGE1 and maybe in BGE3 our own created character will never be mentioned but Jade and the others definitely will.

I donít know how they want to do it in the game but for example if one of my crew members dies it will have less Impact onto story than the potential death of Knox would have.

I understand that the big amount of potential players will not have played BGE1 and it is not problem for them playing with a character created by them. But for me, and I think I am also talking for others who played BGE1, it injects the feeling of being locked out of Dakinis and Jades story. And their story is still the one that will affect the whole future of Systems1,2,3,4,5 much more than it will be the case with the story our own created character experiences.

I would give everything for a mode where you can play Dakinis and Jades story but how it seems till now it is set into stone that we will only play as the character we create by ourselves. I will buy the game anyway but for me the whole adventure already seems to be just a huge side note to the big story that truly stands in the centre of the BGE genre.

Legion-495
05-13-2018, 06:32 PM
So to sum this up you just assume away that a created character cannot be deep into the story?
MassEffect says no.
So does SaintsRow.

We do not know the story nor to we know how we are involved. So I have no judgement over this yet.
Well I only can tell you it has been made clear that Michel does no fanservice.

Now we do not know if our character is a hero type of character and might even get his important role.

BGE2 will be his own thing. I also assume BGE3 will be made with BGE2 as base. I think there maybe is a chance for spin-offs for the story of Dakini and Jade should BGE2 take off.
Many people voiced this as their personl issue.
On the trailer I am a bit mixed. Maybe this already is part of the story we will not be in?
Is Dakini even still alive? I mean we saw the picture where she lost her arms.

TOG_Vulcan
05-14-2018, 08:55 AM
One of my main concerns is about this, I hope it would be like what Legion-495 said.

I mean there is a base and history for the main character, and you just make it's races and appearance an that would impact he way you play and maybe a bit difference the way world reacts to you, but the main story remains on it's owns. It would be better.
And I really really really hope that the character won't be muted! I like it to talk, have emotions & ...

Legion-495
05-14-2018, 11:21 AM
One of my main concerns is about this, I hope it would be like what Legion-495 said.

I mean there is a base and history for the main character, and you just make it's races and appearance an that would impact he way you play and maybe a bit difference the way world reacts to you, but the main story remains on it's owns. It would be better.
And I really really really hope that the character won't be muted! I like it to talk, have emotions & ...

"Khajiit is pleased with this statement"
Jup my cat dialog :D