PDA

View Full Version : So what is the reasoning behind the removal of the unique tournament rewards...

Burn-The-Sinner
05-11-2018, 06:10 PM
... and replacing them with a single common lame one across all heroes?

Xinlyfenne
05-11-2018, 06:41 PM
They said it was so you could recognize who was a tourney winner, since the ornament is standardized.

Vakris_One
05-11-2018, 06:46 PM
My guess is because they couldn't dedicate enough time or resources to making new ornaments for this upcoming Season so they decided to downgrade the ornaments for a mode that very few people play anyway.

The problem with that approach is that it is self defeating. You want more people playing the mode but all you offer them is unique cosmetics and nothing else. Most people get turned off from it since it isn't a well designed mode and it's not worth the hassle and the mode becomes tumbleweed city. In answer to that they stop spending their efforts even on the cosmetics. Instead of making the mode more accessible and pilling on more incentives to play it such as more XP, steel, loot, events, etc. they decided to completely shut down what little work was being put into it in the first place.

Vakris_One
05-11-2018, 06:56 PM
They said it was so you could recognize who was a tourney winner, since the ornament is standardized.
Lol. That should be a meme by now. They used the exact same excuse with Faction War ornaments. It's a marketing answer designed to blow smoke up our a**es. The truth is they decided they couldn't keep making 18 unique ornaments every Season so from now on they will make 1 copy/paste job while bull****ing their players with "so you can recognise the winners."

Because Wardens walking around with helmet plumes, Orochi with gold arches and PK's with golden leaf crowns are completely unrecognisable as ranked rewards..... royyight.... At least be honest about things Ubi, bull****ing tends to anger your playerbase unnecessarily.

Burn-The-Sinner
05-11-2018, 07:05 PM

Call me stupid, but that still doesn't making any sense on why ditch the old rewards...

Burn-The-Sinner
05-11-2018, 07:18 PM
Besides that, if they truly want to make something recognizable, make an exclusive special effect. Like an aura over your head or something like that...

Xinlyfenne
05-11-2018, 07:29 PM
Call me stupid, but that still doesn't making any sense on why ditch the old rewards...

For that I think they want the rewards to be "rare" i.e. only those who have won them previously will have them. Since this is the case I'd assume that this season's will disappear next time,

Burn-The-Sinner
05-11-2018, 08:38 PM
And what of the new players they so wanted to attract? Screw them.

Orisoll
05-11-2018, 10:15 PM
To me it seems like they're shifting a lot of resources around in order to focus on the big stuff they'll be revealing at E3. If it's between unique ornaments for playing a dead game mode and brand new heroes/game modes, I'll take the latter.

justinhntr
05-11-2018, 10:20 PM
I don't like it. I wish I still had a chance to get them.

Vakris_One
05-11-2018, 10:58 PM
To me it seems like they're shifting a lot of resources around in order to focus on the big stuff they'll be revealing at E3. If it's between unique ornaments for playing a dead game mode and brand new heroes/game modes, I'll take the latter.
Fair enough but it is a bad sign if the developers choose to just abandon supporting a failed mode and simply move on to the next shiny thing. If that trend continues then this game will be full of dead modes that are no longer supported by the devs. Goodness knows this is already the case with Elimination, Skirmish and the ranked modes - all of them pretty much left for dead at this point.

Burn-The-Sinner
05-12-2018, 12:19 AM

Yeah, whatever. Still doesn't justify removing old content. Ditch support for the mode, whatever, but leave the content as it is... Of all the games i've played, online based, no one ever did such nonsensical things. There are games that have seasonal content appear only during a particular season (winter), but even that still reappears next year.

Mode is dead as it is. But limiting content will make it even dead-er, because i will go in and in few games i will get the ****ty ornament and that will be it. While now at least i have an incentive to grind it for the lower tier rewards, which i miss on several characters.

Something tells me that whoever makes such decisions is surrounded by YES employees only and they are all drug abusers.

UbiJurassic
05-12-2018, 12:34 AM
We're definitely seeing everyone's feedback in regards to the ornaments and we appreciate everyone that's shared their thoughts on it. The team will be discussing this and we will let players know if we have any news regarding the tournament ornaments for Season 6.

vgrimr_J
05-12-2018, 10:27 AM
first i had to grind through ranked to get that sweet ornament for my pk and centurion. then they made it so that you can obtain that ornament for the hero you are playing but now they remove those unique rewards ? what the hell ubisoft?

Hammelsneid
05-12-2018, 12:33 PM
So, did I get it right on the stream, that I wont be able to get the unique tournament ornaments from previous seasons anymore? Wasn't sure about that, since Bio's accent is sometimes a bit hard to understand (as much I love her ^^).

EvoX.
05-12-2018, 02:40 PM
So, did I get it right on the stream, that I wont be able to get the unique tournament ornaments from previous seasons anymore? Wasn't sure about that, since Bio's accent is sometimes a bit hard to understand (as much I love her ^^).

Yeah, they're going away for some magical reason.

Gotta love it when games take content away for no reason, just like... uh, which other game does this?

Hammelsneid
05-12-2018, 03:38 PM
Just opened another thread about generally removing items from the game. Thought it might get some more attention and contributes to the cause.

Tyrjo
05-13-2018, 10:55 AM
The other side of the coin is that many people did grind for these ornaments given that it was said from the beginning that they were going away. Part of having the ornament is the exclusivity I think. If the devs suddenly turn coat on this that exclusivity would be void.

OhHowSheGoingEh
05-13-2018, 11:23 AM
So the Crimson Crest for the Lawbringer can't be earned anymore? The one that Ubisoft decided not to give me by rewarding me with the Berserker ornament even though I've never played the berserker or even unlocked him?
Seriously Ubisoft is it your studios life goal to piss off the people that pay your bills? If it wasn't for EA you would be the world gaming company this world has seen.

EvoX.
05-13-2018, 01:02 PM
So the Crimson Crest for the Lawbringer can't be earned anymore? The one that Ubisoft decided not to give me by rewarding me with the Berserker ornament even though I've never played the berserker or even unlocked him?

I won 6 tournaments the past 2 days with Kensei: zero ornaments for him, but it did give me one for Shugoki and one for Lawbringer - heroes I haven't even unlocked.

Tried to write to support just like Hazel, but they're all a bunch of incompetent clowns. Every time my faifth in this game is restored, something happens to make me frustrated with it again.

Hammelsneid
05-13-2018, 01:33 PM
@Tyrjo Well, then I really missed that note, that it was clear, they will be gone sometime. But as I wrote in another thread about "limited time items": Is it really, really really necessary to have such things? For my part, I don't really care about the looks of other players. I care about my looks. I admit, yes, having an item, I know about it will never come back, gives kind of a nice feeling, but compared to the overall disadvantages impacting hundrets/thousands of other players, who think similar as myself, I really can go without that feeling.

You can't tell me, that it completely destroys the "atmosphere" for the owners of these items, if other players would still be able to get it. To show off (if thats the personal purpose), that we won a tournament - isn't it enough that we own it in the first place? It's not, that after a while literally every player will own it. There will be still plenty of players not having it and following that logic, if they see other players with it or in the ornament menu, thinking that this is a must have for them, where do I get it, they will play the specific game mode, which is a major plus. As many ppl told, the tournament mode will be dead when they add these generig plaques.

But the simple comparison of the pro and con sides is for me the most meaningful reason to keep unique items ingame without limited time:

- There will be way more players pi**ed and mad than players happy, that they got removed
- To remove precious selling arguments for a game by taking away content is dead wrong imo, a game should shine with all of it's great things
- To remove "motiviation" to play certain game modes, I think that even the owners of the ornamends agree, that it sounds wrong, keep motivations ingame!
- Only the players already owning the ornaments will say, that such things are completely fine.. if they would be in the position of not owning one of these, they will change their mind very quickly

Arguments like "But they said it from the beginning.." don't count for me, because the statement per se back then would be as wrong as the action itself. The damage to the community mood is much worse, if they remove the items, than if they'd keep them. I don't think that there would be many threads like "I quit the game because they kept the ornaments, I'll never buy a Ubisoft game again". The main reason behind these limited time things is to artificially boost the player count temporary. This goes for some things more than for others, but in the end it's not for the players to own something thats no longer available, it's just for numbers. And that's something I don't like in general, because if the game is good (and For Honor is better than good) it simply doens't need such marketing practices.

Sorry, if I made some of these ornament owners angry with my posts.

OhHowSheGoingEh
05-13-2018, 06:58 PM
I won 6 tournaments the past 2 days with Kensei: zero ornaments for him, but it did give me one for Shugoki and one for Lawbringer - heroes I haven't even unlocked.

Tried to write to support just like Hazel, but they're all a bunch of incompetent clowns. Every time my faifth in this game is restored, something happens to make me frustrated with it again.

True that! I made a support ticket detailing what had happened and asked if they could give my Crimson Crest for my Lawbringer. (I have the other two legendary ornamnets.) I gave them a couple suggestions, like taking my other two ornamnets and exchanging them both for the Crimson Crest. Apparently that's to difficult for the development team. (Doesn't surprise me.) I offered that they invite me to a private duel round where the reward was the Crimson Crest and they didn't want to do that either. It was just a flat out "no."
Its hard to enjoy this game when you know that Ubisoft has no priority or couldn't care less in trying to help their community at all.

Ianoneshot
05-13-2018, 07:27 PM
If they were to do this they should also allow the previous rewards to be unlocked as well.

Because, lately they have been giving reskins of armor, had said they will never make new weapons and armor, made universal emotes, what's next!? Universal executions!?

SuspectTexas630
05-13-2018, 09:08 PM
Not a fan of the new rewards, you can kiss tournaments goodbye. No one is gonna want these instead of making them all the same they should have encouraged even better new ones.

CandleInTheDark
05-13-2018, 09:58 PM
I kind of get their argument but at the same time, and I said this on the Den recap on reddit, it is hardly going to fill the purpose of being a recognisable tournament/faction war prize if no one wants to wear them because they are not suited to their character, that what the consensus seems to be is I would rather something unique to something recognisable.

If there is a time issue, and I suspect that this might be the case with the reworks also given all the panels and events people have needed to go to this season (they tell us about the main devs but who else gets taken for support and the devs have less they can do when they are away from the office for so long) that is a valid argument, as is the fact they would now have eighteen (thirty six if you then add the faction war) ornaments to do, three times the numbers of they started with in the latter case and similarly to the executions having six more to do that takes time but if either of those is the reason it needs to be the one they give.

Mind you people have said on this forum for the past year fire art guys so they can bring more people in for the network back when we had P2P and balancing, while I very much doubt that art people have been fired for such arbitrary reasons if the more vocal people are saying I don't care about what the art team does what message does that give and who do you think does the ornaments? If they are hearing over and over it isn't a priority to the point people would rather resources aren't spent on Shiny Art Stuff then I don't at all blame them for taking people at their word (at the very least I am not going to say how very dare they listen to people at an inopportune moment), just be honest about it.

- Only the players already owning the ornaments will say, that such things are completely fine.. if they would be in the position of not owning one of these, they will change their mind very quickly

Arguments like "But they said it from the beginning.." don't count for me, because the statement per se back then would be as wrong as the action itself. The damage to the community mood is much worse, if they remove the items, than if they'd keep them. I don't think that there would be many threads like "I quit the game because they kept the ornaments, I'll never buy a Ubisoft game again". The main reason behind these limited time things is to artificially boost the player count temporary. This goes for some things more than for others, but in the end it's not for the players to own something thats no longer available, it's just for numbers. And that's something I don't like in general, because if the game is good (and For Honor is better than good) it simply doens't need such marketing practices.

I don't own any and while I am not all together someone with a stake in this (I use very few ornaments, Zerker wolfhead, one of Valk's mask outfits with the bird skull, that's about it) I think that the fact the devs have said from the beginning that these are limited time things does make it, if not necessarily something everyone will be happy about, something that they were straight on from the beginning. They aren't pulling the rug from under us, they have been very up front that this is very limited time only and I am fine with that having been prewarned. In before you jump on me saying I don't use ornaments, I really liked the werewolf emote/effect on the berserker (well all characters but I used it on berserker), I would love to have it on my PC account, but I understand that isn't possible as I didn't buy it for the PC account when it was available. Kind of sucks but again I understand and am fine with that. if it comes back one day, great, if not, I don't feel ripped off. Same for the Apollyon event gear I had on my Warden and the Valkyrie helm I had not seen then because I didn't use Valkyrie during the event (Warden was my priority) and saw a picture of only recently and obviously can't get either for PC where I am spending my time playing For Honor now.

HazelrahFirefly
05-13-2018, 10:29 PM

Really? Sorry to hear that. The guys I worked with were amazing. To be worrisomely fair, I think the rewards stopped at the exact end of S5.

In regards to the general statement that they told us from the beginning, there are a few big problems:

1. It was always "No, not now" up until the last week of S5 when they quite suddenly announced they were being taken away.
2. Duel Tournament has a low population.
3. The very first step of lag compensation was only around for TWO DAYS on consoles before the rewards were removed.
4. Dedicated servers were introduced only one or two weeks before.
5. The week of the announcement contained an infinite Centurion attack loop and an assassin parry bug.

You can announce at the start of a season that rewards are going away, but that suddenly is a slap in the face. Makes me hate Damien just for saying it.

EvoX.
05-13-2018, 11:20 PM
Really? Sorry to hear that. The guys I worked with were amazing. To be worrisomely fair, I think the rewards stopped at the exact end of S5.

The ones who respond to me are so ignorant and stupid, I'm considering copy/pasting their messages in a new thread.

So now I'm stuck trying to get the Kensei one which must happen in the next 3 days, meaning like a 30:1 lotto chance.

Hammelsneid
05-14-2018, 01:03 PM
I don't own any and while I am not all together someone with a stake in this (I use very few ornaments, Zerker wolfhead, one of Valk's mask outfits with the bird skull, that's about it) I think that the fact the devs have said from the beginning that these are limited time things does make it, if not necessarily something everyone will be happy about, something that they were straight on from the beginning. They aren't pulling the rug from under us, they have been very up front that this is very limited time only and I am fine with that having been prewarned. In before you jump on me saying I don't use ornaments, I really liked the werewolf emote/effect on the berserker (well all characters but I used it on berserker), I would love to have it on my PC account, but I understand that isn't possible as I didn't buy it for the PC account when it was available. Kind of sucks but again I understand and am fine with that. if it comes back one day, great, if not, I don't feel ripped off. Same for the Apollyon event gear I had on my Warden and the Valkyrie helm I had not seen then because I didn't use Valkyrie during the event (Warden was my priority) and saw a picture of only recently and obviously can't get either for PC where I am spending my time playing For Honor now.

I think you did not get my point. I never felt ripped off or am convinced, that the devs didn't tell us. As a almost 1k hours player I just didn't catch that statement of the limited time thing (a ingame timer on these items could solve such problems - in another completely ignored thread I once said, that For Honor is the only game I regularly play, I can't get all important informations at one spot. They're spread over Facedditwitter, the launcher and the website, every single news about the same thing is missing some infos from the others etc. and I'm tired to check all of these regularly. But that's another thing). Even if I wiuld have got that info in-time, that these ornaments are time-limited, my opinion about this in general would not change.

Back to the topic: You tell me with your answer, that you are fine with limited time items, as long as it's announced soon enough. That's totally ok for me, that it does not bother you. The question is, does it bother you, that other ppl are bothered by limitied time things in general? If not, then we seem to have no reason to discuss at all, but if you do, then I just want to know, what disadvantage you would have, if they would not do it anymore. I just don't unterstand it, this would even give you the chance for more sweet things, which results in theoretical more playtime for Ubisoft from you.

As I mentioned somewhere else: I don't have a problem with the generic plaque ornaments of the faction war to be time-limited, I won't have a problem with the generic plaque S6 tournament-rewards to be time-limited, and I don't have a problem with seasonal events like the winter fest, halloween or St. Patricks / Valentines Day (I did not get some of these either). I just don't see any good and plausible reason to remove hero specific, maybe great looking and unique ornaments, which still serve as a major, if not only good reason to play certain gamemodes (which are dying already and need every pinch of fuel they could get).

Oh and just fyi: the event gear of the Apollyon's event was decided to stay in game. afaik the can be found as regular very rare items with a star at the end of their name (the winter weapons e.g. dont have that star), and I'm not 100% sure, but I think I already found one, I was missing. Nevertheless it was told on stream several times, that these items will stay.

HazelrahFirefly
05-14-2018, 04:40 PM
Actually, the communication is a BIG issue with this game. Stop using reddit and Twitter for... well, everything related to FH. Those aren't legitimate places!

Tyrjo
05-14-2018, 05:10 PM
Actually, the communication is a BIG issue with this game. Stop using reddit and Twitter for... well, everything related to FH. Those aren't legitimate places!

It's kind of appalling how a big company like Ubisoft don't see the risks in having their PR communications strictly go through third party sites.

CandleInTheDark
05-14-2018, 11:35 PM
It's kind of appalling how a big company like Ubisoft don't see the risks in having their PR communications strictly go through third party sites.

Well they have the Den which everything newsworthy goes through, couple hours a week or finding a recap thread or video on demand isn't hard and they have the reps which is why Eric can spend his community manager time on reddit, honestly the only source I use other than the Den is Eric's reddit activity.