PDA

View Full Version : SOW: Another Christmas will come and go

voyager_663rd
12-13-2008, 07:32 AM
without SOW. It may have been posted elsewhere but I just thought of looking for it now.

Scheduled release is November <span class="ev_code_RED">2009</span>

Gives us more time to save up our sheckels for more computer upgrades to get ready for it.

http://www.gogamer.com/Storm-of-War--Battle-of-Britain-...444781VVviewprod.htm (http://www.gogamer.com/Storm-of-War--Battle-of-Britain-for-PC-PC-Coming-Soon_stcVVproductId5640272VVcatId444781VVviewprod. htm)

voyager_663rd
12-13-2008, 07:32 AM
without SOW. It may have been posted elsewhere but I just thought of looking for it now.

Scheduled release is November <span class="ev_code_RED">2009</span>

Gives us more time to save up our sheckels for more computer upgrades to get ready for it.

http://www.gogamer.com/Storm-of-War--Battle-of-Britain-...444781VVviewprod.htm (http://www.gogamer.com/Storm-of-War--Battle-of-Britain-for-PC-PC-Coming-Soon_stcVVproductId5640272VVcatId444781VVviewprod. htm)

Choctaw111
12-13-2008, 07:34 AM
How many times has GoGamer changed release date so far.
It will be ready when Oleg is finished with it. I doubt he gave GoGamer a release date.

Aaron_GT
12-13-2008, 09:43 AM
Maybe the aim is to get it out when it is ready but definitely no later than 70 years after the Battle of Britain. In which case just before Christmas 2009 would seem the ideal date. Maybe someone will step up and run some historical scenarios of each relevant day in summer 2010. Releasing late 2009 gives chance to bug fix, etc in the intervening period.

I may be a moderator, but believe me I have no more clue as to the release date than anyone else, so it's guesswork on my part.

Chivas
12-13-2008, 10:08 AM
Olegs team never fully committed to work on SOW until IL-2 1946 was done. Its been a long wait but BOB, barring any killer bugs should see the light of day by the end of 2009.

Atleast an SOW website will be established early in the new year and a steady flow of more interesting screenshots should start appearing.

M_Gunz
12-13-2008, 10:36 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Choctaw111:
It will be ready when Oleg is finished with it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

+1

BTW, sorry to see about your data loss. It makes me think of all I don't have archived.
And that reminds of what I do! I've been collecting big rebate HD's after getting a USB
external cable/plug and PS from Geeks.com years ago. The Geeks cable and PS ran $12 and
handles EIDE and SATA both. Almost any HD becomes an external, keep the silver bags.
The hardest part is catching drives on huge sale (rebates usually) with cash in hand.

USB sticks and SD chips are also getting cheap, some day I'll have a box full of those
with numbered tags on them. Those are the new paper anyway, dependable and small.

jensenpark
12-13-2008, 11:09 AM
SOW is the Guns n Roses Chinese Democracy of the gaming world.

I hope it turns out better in the end than Axl's project.

voyager_663rd
12-13-2008, 12:54 PM
You mention when 1946 is done.

Isn't 4.09 still in beta? I still use 4.08 but this has been going on for quite a long time.

I'm quite happy with 1946. Don't get me wrong. It's just, well..... you know http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

xTHRUDx
12-13-2008, 01:10 PM
he can take all the time he wants. at the pace the MOD cumunity is learning and improving, they'll have their own BOB well before Oleg. And the best part, you already own the game.

Tinpan-22
12-13-2008, 01:33 PM
My pals and I have given up on SOW. If such a game ever is finished, great, but not waiting or even hoping any more. I think it was going to be released three years ago...

VMF-214_HaVoK
12-13-2008, 01:36 PM
My money has been on November of 09 for years now. I still plan on cashing in on that prediction around here. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

VMF-214_HaVoK
12-13-2008, 01:37 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tinpan-22:
My pals and I have given up on SOW. If such a game ever is finished, great, but not waiting or even hoping any more. I think it was going to be released three years ago... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oleg never gave a release date. Fact. It will be done when its done but you have the right idea. Just dont think about it and when it shows up it will be a pleasant surprise.

triad773
12-13-2008, 01:59 PM
...... I'm dreaming, of a BoB Christmas.... (for next year anyway http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif )

Stiletto-
12-13-2008, 02:16 PM
Just give me Rise of Flight for now and when SoW comes out I will go "Oh yeah! That game!"

M_Gunz
12-13-2008, 03:23 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by xTHRUDx:
he can take all the time he wants. at the pace the MOD cumunity is learning and improving, they'll have their own BOB well before Oleg. And the best part, you already own the game. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sure. SOW with IL2 3D models lacking weight distribution and resulting handling plus what all else next gen FS improvements SOW has.
You must be kidding yourself to think that IL2 can be bent into so much better -- or you kid the rest of us.

JG52Uther
12-13-2008, 03:48 PM
2009? Bit optimistic I think.More like 2010.
How many years ago was it that Oleg,when asked if the game would be out by the end of that year,answered 'it HAS to be!'
After that date came and went,there came the news that system specs would be posted middle of last year.Then system specs were to be posted middle of THIS year.
Of course,anyone who questions this is just a whiner.

Xiolablu3
12-13-2008, 04:29 PM
It will be done when its done, dont rush it out PLEASE.

Its going to be a quality product and as it will have 10x the detail of IL2 aircraft and engine, it takes 10x the amount of work.

The SOW game engine is for the whole next series of Maddox games, as IL2 engine was. It has got to be dead right from the start.

Would you rather it be a masterpiece, or full of bugs/not very good but released early?

Just leave Oleg to it and enjoy it when it comes out.

M_Gunz
12-13-2008, 04:31 PM
Target system specs haven't been posted?
I'm sure that SOW is being held up just to precipitate the total collapse of western civilization.

M_Gunz
12-13-2008, 04:36 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Xiolablu3:
The SOW game engine is for the whole next series of Maddox games, as IL2 engine was. It has got to be dead right from the start. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm kind of hoping that it won't be as IL2 that while it improved from patch to patch, the models ended up to differing standards.
It's still better than what came before but I'd like to see a whole series all at the same level.

Buzzsaw-
12-13-2008, 04:41 PM
Salute

All those guys complaining are going to look kinda dumb when "STORM OF WAR, Battle of Britain" finally comes out.

This game is going to be so revolutionary, so far in advance of the other Sims, in advance of other games, it is going to amaze people.

Take the time to read through the PC Pilot interview.

(Major Setback kindly posted a section of it here: http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y129/major-setback/alb...nt1cbestsmallcut.jpg (http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y129/major-setback/album%202/olegint1cbestsmallcut.jpg) )

Read how detailed the enviroment is going to be, as Oleg says, "...DOWN TO HAVING DIFFERENT JERRY CANS FOR EACH SIDE OF THE CONFLICT..." What greets the eye of the player is going to be so rich and comprehensive, people are going to be blown away.

Read how detailed the weather is going to be, now it is a real opponent, fly into a thundercloud, and you may not come out...

Read how the campaign is no longer going be just one mission after another strung together, it is going to be dynamic in the real sense, with missions really connected, so that you don't actually leave the simulation, you can load the next mission "...on the fly". In the past, in all the games out there, players had the option of 'Dogfight' or 'COOP', with the compromises inherent in each type. Oleg has moved WAY past that, we are now going to get COOP missions you can join in progress, change aircraft, dogfight missions where objects move, where you can jump to different aircraft, or even ground weapons.

All this, in a the most graphically intensive images seen yet.

I don't think a lot of people really understand Oleg and how talented this man is. Call him obsessive, call him painstaking, whatever description you want to use, it is clear that he is a man on a mission. As he says quite clearly: "We want to build the best sim yet."

My bet is that is exactly what we will get.

In my book, that's worth the wait.

carl19681968
12-13-2008, 05:01 PM
i dont have problem with oleg being a perfectionist etc etc but a first release date of 2006 is stretching it i am 40 and hoping this sim game comes out before i die what do you reckon?

Buzzsaw-
12-13-2008, 05:03 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by carl19681968:
i dont have problem with oleg being a perfectionist etc etc but a first release date of 2006 is stretching it i am 40 and hoping this sim game comes out before i die what do you reckon? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Latest WRITTEN comment from Oleg:

May '09, Recommended Tech Spec requirements released.

Late summer/early fall '09, Game released.

Pyrres
12-14-2008, 04:04 AM
I think one big thing apart from making it better and bigger and prettier is that they are waiting for new hardware to come out so people can play like it is supposed to be play (not a slideshow).

All that physic calculations and AI and graphics are going to take a lot of computing power. Even with Olegs well written code (if it is going to be as good as original IL2 code).

Feathered_IV
12-14-2008, 04:25 AM
I have not expectation of SoW being released in 2009.
I also do not expect to see Maddox Games stay in business, running up years and years of accumulated debt against the release of a niche market video game that will be lucky to sell 100,000 copies worldwide. It just doesn't add up commercially. It's horrible and I wish it were different, but there is no way a title like that can ever hope to make back what it cost to produce.

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-sad.gif

M_Gunz
12-14-2008, 05:20 AM
Possibly they have income sources you don't account for?

Feathered_IV
12-14-2008, 05:45 AM
Aside from il-2 expansions and a console franchise, are there any others? A small stipend from Ubisoft perhaps. To be paid back with healthy interest after SOW's release. As the years wear on, that dole cheque would really begin to add up. I really fear for Oleg and his families welfare. I really do.

dirkpit7
12-14-2008, 05:57 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Feathered_IV:
Aside from il-2 expansions and a console franchise, are there any others? A small stipend from Ubisoft perhaps. To be paid back with healthy interest after SOW's release. As the years wear on, that dole cheque would really begin to add up. I really fear for Oleg and his families welfare. I really do. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Have you read the PC Pilot interview? Oleg said there something like:

"The success of IL-2 Sturmovik gave us free hands to do as much as we want with SoW. Otherwise we would have released something much simpler and less detailed, and much sooner."

So it appears to me that they're taking their time with SoW because they can do so.

jvmasset
12-14-2008, 06:01 AM
Or maybe someone in 1C (owners of MG) is and has been sufficiently well informed (with information WE did not see yet) to understand that, yes, this particular game will have cost more money than any it will ever get back <span class="ev_code_RED">as a game</span>...Now, what about the movie and TV industry? The big money is there, and as I stated before a long time ago, it could be very well that some A/C models (or ships, or whatever) we will see in SoW series will be derivated from some movie special effect work...and that we will get it for a lot less than its development cost, if not free!
It is not a stretch of imagination: Oleg stated his goal of getting movie quality cinematics at least two years ago!
So yes, it has to be done beyond right from the get-go and this takes time: the rewards will be commensurate to the waiting...
I am dreaming of realistic weather, properly modelized clouds, depending of time of the day and ground nature, with properly flat bases when needed, volumetric lighting and the like...something FSX is still lightyears ago (even with the special weather add-ons)...Such a thing by itself will bring a sense of immersion many of you may not believe...just yet! The people among us who are RL flyers already know this...
And one day in the years to come, I would not be surprised that OM already anticipated real-time Ray Tracing, which will be another tremendous step forward in immersion feeling (and may solve the other A/C visibility issues)...
This is still a bit of time away, as I think that multiple core GPU will be needed to achieve this, and we are not there yet...

I am confident.

Cordially,

JV

Feathered_IV
12-14-2008, 06:09 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">It is not a stretch of imagination: Oleg stated his goal of getting movie quality cinematics at least two years ago </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thats correct. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

I am hoping he'll be able to recover some of his expenses this way. I'm anticipating that there will be SoW the game, and SoW the Developers Suite. Two seperate items. One will be purchased for $70 or so, the other for thousands, along with the lisence to use in cinema and other productions. If any of us were spending this much time on the project, would we give just give the special effects solution away to documentary and film makers for the price of a video game? Of course not!

M_Gunz
12-14-2008, 06:20 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Feathered_IV:
Aside from il-2 expansions and a console franchise, are there any others? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

How should I know?
I don't know or have any way of knowing all that man's 'bidness'.
It's not up to me, or you for that matter.
They could have other work going on, they could have received a grant or low interest venture loan, do they _have_ to tell us?
If there is some permission needed then tell Oleg it's okay with me! I'm sure he will sleep better.

You want a sign of real trouble then look for early, buggy release forced by publisher.
The fact that we have not seen this says for the better, not the worst.

Skoshi Tiger
12-14-2008, 06:30 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Buzzsaw-:
Read how detailed the enviroment is going to be, as Oleg says, "...DOWN TO HAVING DIFFERENT JERRY CANS FOR EACH SIDE OF THE CONFLICT..." ... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oh I hope not! The German "Jerry Can" was one of those classic designs that was "Just right".

The alied soldiers recognised that right from the start and they were a highly prized peice of kit that was picked up at every possible occasion. If I'm not mistaken, buy the end of the war the alies were making jerry cans to the German design.

It would add a touch of realism to the sim (maybe in a North Africa campaign?) having the german cans on alied vehicles!

A number of the advantage of the design.
They were ruggard and didn't leak. they were ambidexterious and you could carry four empty cans at one time (Due to the 3 handles on top, or if you were rambo you could carry 4 full cans.. 60 odd kilograms!) and you didn't spill too much fuel when you filled up your vehicle.

70 something years latter and the design is still going strong. I've got about 4 in my shed of various ages from new to 1970's vintage.

Feathered_IV
12-14-2008, 06:35 AM
M_Gunz, it was a rhetorical question. I will thank you not to get snippy with me.

JG52Uther
12-14-2008, 08:24 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">It is not a stretch of imagination: Oleg stated his goal of getting movie quality cinematics at least two years ago </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thats correct. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

I am hoping he'll be able to recover some of his expenses this way. I'm anticipating that there will be SoW the game, and SoW the Developers Suite. Two seperate items. One will be purchased for $70 or so, the other for thousands, along with the lisence to use in cinema and other productions. If any of us were spending this much time on the project, would we give just give the special effects solution away to documentary and film makers for the price of a video game? Of course not! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

$70! lol I could already get it on pre order for about $20,so theres not much money to be made there!It amazes me that a game that has been years in the making,is now years overdue,and must have cost a fortune is already destined for the bargain basement bin!

Enthor1
12-14-2008, 01:58 PM
Do you guys actually think all this work going into ground detail is so Oleg can release the best ever WWII Flightsimulation?

Since speculation is running amok here let me add to the pot.

Maybe Oleg is working on the best ever WWII Simulation for Online consumption.

We lowly flightsimmers will get the best ever flightsim and Oleg might actually make some real money off the online total war element if he can get enough subscribers.

Of course, there seems to be a lack of Navy stuff but who needs ships anyhow?

VMF-214_HaVoK
12-14-2008, 08:08 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by dirkpit7:
Aside from il-2 expansions and a console franchise, are there any others? A small stipend from Ubisoft perhaps. To be paid back with healthy interest after SOW's release. As the years wear on, that dole cheque would really begin to add up. I really fear for Oleg and his families welfare. I really do. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Have you read the PC Pilot interview? Oleg said there something like:

"The success of IL-2 Sturmovik gave us free hands to do as much as we want with SoW. Otherwise we would have released something much simpler and less detailed, and much sooner."

So it appears to me that they're taking their time with SoW because they can do so. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

+1 Although showing concern for Oleg is a nice gesture it is quite clear he does not share in that concern. IL2 was a huge long lasting success. This gives Oleg and his team the creative freedom a good combat sim so desperately needs. He is able to do things now he probably wanted to do with IL2 but lacked the time and publisher confidence to do so. SoW:BoB and sims to follow will be nothing short of amazing.

Oleg is doing fine and the sim market could not look healthier.

S!

VMF-214_HaVoK
12-14-2008, 08:11 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">$70! lol I could already get it on pre order for about $20,so theres not much money to be made there!It amazes me that a game that has been years in the making,is now years overdue,and must have cost a fortune is already destined for the bargain basement bin! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

VMF-214_HaVoK
12-14-2008, 08:12 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">You want a sign of real trouble then look for early, buggy release forced by publisher.
The fact that we have not seen this says for the better, not the worst. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Excellently put! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

buddye1
12-14-2008, 10:44 PM
It is very good to be positive about SOW and to have confidence that Oleg will deliver a quality product but it is difficult (actually impossible) for me to believe that Oleg is not struggling to complete the SOW project with the money available to him. One just needs to look at the world's economy and how companies world wide are struggling to stay out of financial trouble. The Russian (Moscow) inflation is one of the highest in the world which is a big impact to Oleg's cost of doing business.

Oleg may have even had to borrow money and sell percent interest in SOW based on his business plan's forecast of future SOW sales to keep the project going.

I also think Oleg has cut SOW staff/cost significantly (keeping his core people) and stretched the SOW schedule to keep the project going which are necessary options.

My bottom line is that even though Oleg is struggling, he will still deliver a high quality SOW with the resources he can apply to the project.

I think we are all lucky to have Oleg building a new flight sim for the community in these hard times for workers and companies and we should all stop worring about schedule.

JG52Uther
12-15-2008, 02:22 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by VMF-214_HaVoK:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">$70! lol I could already get it on pre order for about $20,so theres not much money to be made there!It amazes me that a game that has been years in the making,is now years overdue,and must have cost a fortune is already destined for the bargain basement bin! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Why roll your eyes,its perfectly true.Its available for pre order at 17.99 in the UK.

Feathered_IV
12-15-2008, 03:14 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JG52Uther:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by VMF-214_HaVoK:

http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Why roll your eyes,its perfectly true.Its available for pre order at 17.99 in the UK. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm from Australia. When I said $70, I meant in $AU. Although I was hedging my bets a bit. Most big budget games are about $100 here these days.

trumper
12-15-2008, 10:34 AM
http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gifPersonally i don't think it will be marketed JUST as a "flight sim",maybe on here but i bet there will be a large ground warfare lobby to sell to as well.
You don't build realistic "jerry cans" just to get a glimpse of them every now and again.
I feel the only way it will survive or make money is to make an all encompassing war sim,starting with BoB.
BoB is just a small theatre to start with but imagine the amount of non flying customers you could get buying if they can start off with Dunkirk- both allied and axis soldiers.
You then have a naval interest with the little ships at Dunkirk.
In one fell swoop you have a Land warfare,Naval warfare and air warfare in high detail cinematic detail simulator,thats the way to go forward i feel. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

squareusr
12-15-2008, 03:26 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by trumper:
You don't build realistic "jerry cans" just to get a glimpse of them every now and again. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You build them because you can't buy game mag presence without some colorful pics to show off...

M_Gunz
12-15-2008, 04:17 PM
The right game engine can be used again and again for many things. It is a tool of much worth.
But second-guessing what goes on inside a business half the world away is like old women inventing rumors.

WTE_Galway
12-15-2008, 04:23 PM
So long as the fishies in the Lakes District are correct I am happy.

Chivas
12-15-2008, 07:58 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by buddye1:
It is very good to be positive about SOW and to have confidence that Oleg will deliver a quality product but it is difficult (actually impossible) for me to believe that Oleg is not struggling to complete the SOW project with the money available to him. One just needs to look at the world's economy and how companies world wide are struggling to stay out of financial trouble. The Russian (Moscow) inflation is one of the highest in the world which is a big impact to Oleg's cost of doing business.

Oleg may have even had to borrow money and sell percent interest in SOW based on his business plan's forecast of future SOW sales to keep the project going.

I also think Oleg has cut SOW staff/cost significantly (keeping his core people) and stretched the SOW schedule to keep the project going which are necessary options.

My bottom line is that even though Oleg is struggling, he will still deliver a high quality SOW with the resources he can apply to the project.

I think we are all lucky to have Oleg building a new flight sim for the community in these hard times for workers and companies and we should all stop worring about schedule. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You may be right Buddye, but that's not what the developer is saying. Like I've said before he's sold 7+ versions of the IL-2 series in the last 7 years, and cornered most of the combat flight sim market. That should give him enough of a grace period to complete BOB. Your right the cost of living in Moscow is very high, but that doesn't necessarily hold true for the established locals of Moscow.

"OM: Releasing the sim as originally scheduled was our biggest challenge. The SUCCESS of the orignial IL-2 Sturmovik gave us the FREEDOM to do as much as we wanted with BOB. That's why the development time is so prolonged. If we were defined by time constraints, we could have released something much simpler, less detailed, less accurate and much sooner. But our goal with BOB is not to push something out the door and collect a quick 'buck. We want to build the best sim yet. The task has so many facets, and all of them are so complex and time consuming that it simply cannot be done quickly. We're so many new things with BOB, many of which have never been done before. As a result we constantly find ourselves having to learn new things and face new chanllenges. It's a very exciting process!"

VMF-214_HaVoK
12-15-2008, 08:27 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Chivas:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by buddye1:

I think we are all lucky to have Oleg building a new flight sim for the community in these hard times for workers and companies and we should all stop worring about schedule. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You may be right Buddye, but that's not what the developer is saying. Like I've said before he's sold 7+ versions of the IL-2 series in the last 7 years, and cornered most of the combat flight sim market. That should give him enough of a grace period to complete BOB. Your right the cost of living in Moscow is very high, but that doesn't necessarily hold true for the established locals of Moscow.

"OM: Releasing the sim as originally scheduled was our biggest challenge. The SUCCESS of the orignial IL-2 Sturmovik gave us the FREEDOM to do as much as we wanted with BOB. That's why the development time is so prolonged. If we were defined by time constraints, we could have released something much simpler, less detailed, less accurate and much sooner. But our goal with BOB is not to push something out the door and collect a quick 'buck. We want to build the best sim yet. The task has so many facets, and all of them are so complex and time consuming that it simply cannot be done quickly. We're so many new things with BOB, many of which have never been done before. As a result we constantly find ourselves having to learn new things and face new chanllenges. It's a very exciting process!" </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I tried to tell him. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

trumper
12-16-2008, 02:50 AM
http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gifActually both answers MAY be correct.Oleg isn't going to stand up and say he is in trouble if he is looking to get other people to help out either financially or with practical help in the future,he can't be seen to do that.
This recession that's hitting the world now wasn't around when this project was started so the goal posts have moved and by Oleg not tieing himself down to a time scale he is able to see whether there will be another shift in the economy and the goalposts moved even more.
On the other hand,with a recession labour and a workforce becomes cheap,he may be able to employ more new staff on more competitive rates and push through the project even quicker.
Both answers could therefore be correct http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif
Regarding il2 ,i saw il2-1946 in the bargain shelf unsold for 7-00 this week.

jvmasset
12-16-2008, 03:04 AM
Also remember that you must be real careful making statements which seem obvious in the US, maybe not so much in Russia!!!

JV

SkyChimp
12-16-2008, 04:20 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Would you rather it be a masterpiece, or full of bugs </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Somehow. Oleg will probably manage to deliver both.

SlowBurn68
12-28-2008, 05:32 PM
Does Oleg own 1c or is he just a developer for them?

Skoshi Tiger
12-28-2008, 05:41 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by SkyChimp:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Would you rather it be a masterpiece, or full of bugs </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Somehow. Oleg will probably manage to deliver both. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

And "we" will alternately love it and critize, and have flame wars and indepth discussions about it for the next 7 years after its released!

M_Gunz
12-29-2008, 02:45 AM
When all the cherry-picking chart-monkey fanboys say it's not right, that's about as close to true as you can get.

dirkpit7
12-29-2008, 03:10 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by SlowBurn68:
Does Oleg own 1c or is he just a developer for them? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oleg is the head of Maddox Games, the IL-2 and SoW developer team. 1C is a publishing company that publishes IL-2 and SoW in Russia.