PDA

View Full Version : I'm not even done with the Tutorial and I am already burnt out on For Honor.

Kylethetrue
05-08-2018, 01:56 AM
Big medieval fan here. Just bought For Honor last night and I am trying to learn the game. Playing through the tutorials and this is so FRUSTRATING. They are actually grading you while trying to teach you how to play the game! Like "Let me show you how to parry. Oh you didn't parry correctly the first time you ever tried one after learning they exist? Guess yo don't get an A...."

And now I'm in this feint tutorial and I am just getting hounded by this Centurion who's parrying, feinting and attacking like crazy. I don't know what I am supposed to do to this guy cus he blocks everything.

I want to quit. I haven't even gotten to play the game yet and I am frustrated as hell and just want to play something else.

Devils-_-legacy
05-08-2018, 02:04 AM
Feint then attacking to get through

ChampionRuby50g
05-08-2018, 02:07 AM
Start of with the campaign mate. Itís much more friendly and teaches you the basics just as well, then once you got a grip after a few missions itíll all come a lot easier. The campaign is essentially a tutorial ad well.

Xinlyfenne
05-08-2018, 02:12 AM
You don't have to complete the trials. The grading thing isn't required either. You should only fully complete them once you're skilled enough to try.

Mave1777
05-08-2018, 02:57 AM
if you think the tutorial is annoying ... this game as the worst matchmaking ever you will loose over and over again till your eyes bleed .... any devs that worked on this game should be ashamed

Kylethetrue
05-08-2018, 03:16 AM
Feint then attacking to get through

My character seems to have this habit of feinting twice in w row when I'm trying to feint then attack.

Kylethetrue
05-08-2018, 03:19 AM
You don't have to complete the trials. The grading thing isn't required either. You should only fully complete them once you're skilled enough to try.

Alright then I'll try the campaign. Wish me luck.

Kylethetrue
05-08-2018, 03:24 AM
Also, what is up with the three currencies I have?

I see a star+oak leaf which I have 0
A chest of which i have 6
And gold of which I have 3000k

Where do i spend these?
Are some of them rare and better saved?
Is there anything I should put priority on purchasing?

Tundra 793
05-08-2018, 03:31 AM
Also, what is up with the three currencies I have?

I see a star+oak leaf which I have 0
A chest of which i have 6
And gold of which I have 3000k

The Star and leaves are your account Reputation. If you've ever played Call of Duty, think of it as Prestige; It'll level up as you level up your Heroes in Multiplayer. It's just a rank, so don't think too much of it.

The Chest indicator shows you how many Scavenger Crates you have available. These provide Gear (armor, weapons) for any Hero you use them on. In each Hero menu, you'll see a "Scavenge" option, you can use the chests from there. But you shouldn't use any of them yet. Most players would advise you only use your Crates once you hit Reputation 7 on 1 Hero.

Your "gold" is called Steel in For Honor, and is the currency of this particular game, with it you can unlock Heroes, executions, emotes, outfits and all sorts of things. Save up mate, there's a lot of cool stuff you might want to buy.

That's just a basic rundown, but mate, I'd suggest you just get started on the Campaign, and then the tutorials. These'll get you more familiar with the game, introduce you to all these things and let you get a feel for it. Don't try to absorb everything you see in one go, just take it a step at a time, 'cause the game will explain most of it.
But of course you're always welcome to ask for help here.

Just enjoy the game, she'll let you know what do with all your items, and when.

Card1acArrest
05-08-2018, 06:32 AM
It is a game that is easy to start playing, but with huge depth and as you often play vs people it can be brutal. play vs Bots and Ai like you would do in most games (npcs) until you feel like trying pvp.

it is intensely rewarding through to get good.

also probably a good idea to learn one of the basic characters well first.

good luck 😀

Kylethetrue
05-08-2018, 08:03 AM
The Star and leaves are your account Reputation. If you've ever played Call of Duty, think of it as Prestige; It'll level up as you level up your Heroes in Multiplayer. It's just a rank, so don't think too much of it.

The Chest indicator shows you how many Scavenger Crates you have available. These provide Gear (armor, weapons) for any Hero you use them on. In each Hero menu, you'll see a "Scavenge" option, you can use the chests from there. But you shouldn't use any of them yet. Most players would advise you only use your Crates once you hit Reputation 7 on 1 Hero.

Your "gold" is called Steel in For Honor, and is the currency of this particular game, with it you can unlock Heroes, executions, emotes, outfits and all sorts of things. Save up mate, there's a lot of cool stuff you might want to buy.

That's just a basic rundown, but mate, I'd suggest you just get started on the Campaign, and then the tutorials. These'll get you more familiar with the game, introduce you to all these things and let you get a feel for it. Don't try to absorb everything you see in one go, just take it a step at a time, 'cause the game will explain most of it.
But of course you're always welcome to ask for help here.

Just enjoy the game, she'll let you know what do with all your items, and when.

Why reputation 7 for scavenger crates?

Charmzzz
05-08-2018, 08:09 AM

On Rep 7 with a Hero you will get the best Gear when you open crates. Works the same as in any MMO: white - blue - purple - gold - greenish Gear, the drops depend on the Hero level you are currently playing. Gear will also drop after completed Matches. Gear Stats (Attack, Defense, and alot of others) and visual appearance will change when you level up a Hero. Gear Stats will only "kick in" in 4v4 Modes (Dominion, Tribute, Deathmatch, Skirmish - but the last 2 are dead...). In Duel and Brawl (not sure about Brawl cause I never play it) there are no Gear Stats active.

CandleInTheDark
05-08-2018, 08:10 AM

Because that is when you get top tier gear, 8 is when you get only top tier gear but you get at least two at seven sometimes three.

Rep 9 you get a chance at refined gear but that is a smaller boost comparatively, mostly it just looks a little prettier.

Kylethetrue
05-08-2018, 08:45 AM
Good to know. How do I reach level 7? Is that only in pvp?

CandleInTheDark
05-08-2018, 08:51 AM
Good to know. How do I reach level 7? Is that only in pvp?

You can PvAI with matchmaking on and get almost as much xp in dominion, when we had peer to peer and only people with super stable latency could stay in games it was actually quicker, pvp has more reward and when you feel ready ranked 4v4 (if that population grows) has a little more still and doesn't have gear stats so it might actually work out better for you if you constantly meet people in higher gear but have the core mechanics down.

Just to save confusion and crates, this is rep 7 as in 7 lots of 20 levels. not level 7 on the character.

Charmzzz
05-08-2018, 08:55 AM
Good point from Candle: you get to Rep 1 when you reach level 20 on a Hero and then level up again. You will start with Rep 1 Level 1 again, and so on. So it will take a while to get to Rep 7.

Kylethetrue
05-08-2018, 09:02 AM
Good point from Candle: you get to Rep 1 when you reach level 20 on a Hero and then level up again. You will start with Rep 1 Level 1 again, and so on. So it will take a while to get to Rep 7.

Well damn. That may be more patience than I have.

CandleInTheDark
05-08-2018, 09:08 AM
Well damn. That may be more patience than I have.

Generally I manage around two reps a week at around eight hours a rep putting in any time I can outside work and family stuff. Around once or twice every three months they have a double xp weekend, first one of those they had I no lifed it over 24 hours out of 48 and got six rep levels, so three in a weekend is doable but not advisable often (if a bit better now it is not the monotony of fighting bots over and over, I would still recommend a good soundtrack playing)

PDXGorechild
05-08-2018, 09:46 AM
Stick with it bro! There is a steep learning curve to this game, but if you have a competitive nature it will be worth the time invested.

You just need to get some muscle memory built up and familiarise yourself with a specific class. I'd recommend picking one that feels right and getting them to rank 10 or so before playing any other classes, It will take at least this long to learn all you can about it. As the others have said, do the campaign first and then training arena after if you feel you need it. Break things up by playing some PvP games and maybe replicating some scenarios you have trouble with in the training arena, such as countering Centurions annoying combo's.

AnimeFreakIncs
05-08-2018, 08:46 PM
I've been playing for a few months now and all I can say is that those "tutorials" are complete trash. They barely help and are only good for the money and the little cut-scenes. Other than that, they're a waste of time. You're better off training in a custom-game, the story mode, or in vs AI matches with a friend.

EIGHTYYARDS NYC
05-08-2018, 08:50 PM
OP what are you playing on?

UbiInsulin
05-08-2018, 10:21 PM
Just want to say that I'm really happy to see all of the people in here offering solid advice to OP to get their FH career up and running. Thank you all!

And thanks for giving the game a shot, Kylethetrue. :)

Kylethetrue
05-08-2018, 11:19 PM
You can PvAI with matchmaking on and get almost as much xp in dominion, when we had peer to peer and only people with super stable latency could stay in games it was actually quicker, pvp has more reward and when you feel ready ranked 4v4 (if that population grows) has a little more still and doesn't have gear stats so it might actually work out better for you if you constantly meet people in higher gear but have the core mechanics down.

Just to save confusion and crates, this is rep 7 as in 7 lots of 20 levels. not level 7 on the character.

How do I do the PvAI gamemodes?

OP what are you playing on?

Been playing on Normal difficulty if that's what you are asking.

Just want to say that I'm really happy to see all of the people in here offering solid advice to OP to get their FH career up and running. Thank you all!

And thanks for giving the game a shot, Kylethetrue. :)

Yeah the people replying have been unusually helpful. I probably would have just quit if I got a bunch of "L2P!" replies. But I'm still here.

CandleInTheDark
05-08-2018, 11:21 PM
How do I do the PvAI gamemodes?

When you select the game you see a dialogue box with arrows saying player vs player, click the arrow (or move the analogue stick if you are on console) and there you go.

bannex19
05-08-2018, 11:29 PM
The arena isn't a tutorial. It's a trial.

Kylethetrue
05-09-2018, 12:43 AM
When you select the game you see a dialogue box with arrows saying player vs player, click the arrow (or move the analogue stick if you are on console) and there you go.

I'm not seeing that option anywhere.

Vakris_One
05-09-2018, 01:40 AM
I'm not seeing that option anywhere.
When you select Multiplayer it brings you to the screen where the game modes are displayed: Duel & Brawl, Battle and Ranked. Ignore ranked for now and select either a Brawl match or go into 'Battle' and then select either a Dominion or Tribute match by using the right and left bumpers on a controller or the W and D keys on keyboard (If on PC).

You will then see it say "Player vs Player". You can change it to "Player vs AI" by flicking the right analogue stick to the right or by clicking the arrow with a mouse if on PC.

Kylethetrue
05-09-2018, 03:22 AM
When you select Multiplayer it brings you to the screen where the game modes are displayed: Duel & Brawl, Battle and Ranked. Ignore ranked for now and select either a Brawl match or go into 'Battle' and then select either a Dominion or Tribute match by using the right and left bumpers on a controller or the W and D keys on keyboard (If on PC).

You will then see it say "Player vs Player". You can change it to "Player vs AI" by flicking the right analogue stick to the right or by clicking the arrow with a mouse if on PC.

Ahah thanks!

Wretch1d
05-09-2018, 04:16 AM
Go though the story and then go into free mode and learn all your move sets for the character you like, then go straight into MP and learn the ropes that way

Kylethetrue
05-09-2018, 11:07 AM
Played most of today. Got my Warden up to level 20. So I guess just got to do that 7 more times....

I think Warden is going to be my favorite since I am all about the classic knight but I also am thinking I may like the Conqueror (since I prefer shields) the Lawbringer (cus they sound cool in lore) and the centurion (cus they look cool.)

Guess I'll take turns getting each to 20 and seeing how I like them.

Anyone want to be friends and team up in game?

DrinkinMehStella
05-09-2018, 01:59 PM
Played most of today. Got my Warden up to level 20. So I guess just got to do that 7 more times....

I think Warden is going to be my favorite since I am all about the classic knight but I also am thinking I may like the Conqueror (since I prefer shields) the Lawbringer (cus they sound cool in lore) and the centurion (cus they look cool.)

Guess I'll take turns getting each to 20 and seeing how I like them.

Anyone want to be friends and team up in game?

well done for sticking with it and repping the warden good choice, he is considered a high tier hero and once you master the feints and parring and his shoulder bash mixups then he is pretty dam good. Conq has just be reworked by the devs and he is really good now and in some situations too good, nows a good time to dominate him seeing as he is in a much better place. Im a rep 13 centurion and he is crazy fun to play with but gets a lot of mixed reactions mostly hate because of his ability to deal massive damage in one mixup but he is much more balanced now.I personally really love the berserker (viking with 2 axes) he is a feint god. Once you know each heroes moves and their downfalls then things will be much easy. If your on PS4 add me DrinkinMehStella.

EIGHTYYARDS NYC
05-09-2018, 03:54 PM
Been playing on Normal difficulty if that's what you are asking.

Actually I meant on PC or console?

Vakris_One
05-09-2018, 04:39 PM
well done for sticking with it and repping the warden good choice, he is considered a high tier hero and once you master the feints and parring and his shoulder bash mixups then he is pretty dam good. Conq has just be reworked by the devs and he is really good now and in some situations too good, nows a good time to dominate him seeing as he is in a much better place. Im a rep 13 centurion and he is crazy fun to play with but gets a lot of mixed reactions mostly hate because of his ability to deal massive damage in one mixup but he is much more balanced now.I personally really love the berserker (viking with 2 axes) he is a feint god. Once you know each heroes moves and their downfalls then things will be much easy. If your on PS4 add me DrinkinMehStella.
Warden isn't considered a high tier hero. Far from it. He is one of the heroes that is considered by most to be in serious need of a rework. He is only hanging in there because of the OOS pressure from his vortex.

A Warden is only as good as the player's level of mastery over the basics of combat. As a character he is underpowered against most of the roster.

Kylethetrue
05-09-2018, 10:03 PM

Well it's good to hear the Warden is competitive. I was a little worried since he's like the default "Easy" character. By "mix up" do you mean "a single series of attacks"? Also I am on PC.

Kylethetrue
05-10-2018, 12:25 AM
Also, is there no way to actually chat with your team in this game?

Devils-_-legacy
05-10-2018, 12:28 AM
Honestly unless you have 3 friends to play with you have to rely on luck for teammates as they are a key element to this game and the matchmaking is pretty poor

Kylethetrue
05-10-2018, 12:39 AM
So we can't even talk to eachother exc ept for the quickchat?

Vakris_One
05-10-2018, 02:51 AM
So we can't even talk to eachother exc ept for the quickchat?
If you press the 'T' key it opens up a text box and you can type in that then press enter to have the message appear on screen for everyone. By pressing the 'Tab' key while in the text box you can switch between 'Team chat' and 'All chat' before sending the message.

This is only on PC mind you.

Kylethetrue
05-10-2018, 04:46 AM
So important thing to clear up. Are you saying I should not open the scavenger crates until I hit 20 7 times on a single character? Or 20 7 times spread out between all my characters?

SphericalChip53
05-10-2018, 06:36 AM
So important thing to clear up. Are you saying I should not open the scavenger crates until I hit 20 7 times on a single character? Or 20 7 times spread out between all my characters?

7 reps on one character, so that there is a big 7 in the laurel for them. The small laurel at the top left of your menu is your global rep, the some of all the reps you have on all your characters. When scavenging from the crates, because gear is character-specific, you will only get high level gear for the character you scavenged with.

Another tip: When you start saving a lot of money and play more PvP, you'll want to look at buying new executions. The other executions are not just for show, as they have different timings and health gain that are better in different situations in PvP. However, I tend to wait until I'm rep 4 with a character before I consider buying a new execution for them.

Kylethetrue
05-10-2018, 09:30 AM
7 reps on one character, so that there is a big 7 in the laurel for them. The small laurel at the top left of your menu is your global rep, the some of all the reps you have on all your characters. When scavenging from the crates, because gear is character-specific, you will only get high level gear for the character you scavenged with.

Another tip: When you start saving a lot of money and play more PvP, you'll want to look at buying new executions. The other executions are not just for show, as they have different timings and health gain that are better in different situations in PvP. However, I tend to wait until I'm rep 4 with a character before I consider buying a new execution for them.

Well crap. Wasted most of today leveling a Lawbringer past 20. Guess I shoulda stuck on the Warden.

Kylethetrue
05-10-2018, 10:46 AM
Hah! I kicked butt in that game. Might be getting the hang of things.

https://scontent-lax3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/32169806_10156319500041726_3779960589330153472_o.j pg?_nc_cat=0&oh=7977dd60bb8d0bceb8370aeca7cd3f79&oe=5B843E1F

DrinkinMehStella
05-10-2018, 11:07 AM
Warden isn't considered a high tier hero. Far from it. He is one of the heroes that is considered by most to be in serious need of a rework. He is only hanging in there because of the OOS pressure from his vortex.

A Warden is only as good as the player's level of mastery over the basics of combat. As a character he is underpowered against most of the roster.

Thats exactly what I meant, people who are high level with him, you see him amongst a few others in competitive play, like I also mentioned you have to become a master of his shoulder bash mixup, a good warden can walk all over people. Most wardens I play have mastered his mixups and give me a real hard time. so I meant he is more of a competitive choice rather than powerful.

Ramkeeth
05-10-2018, 06:59 PM
Today I am back with a useful topic, Screen Mirroring Roku (https://www.itechedict.com/screen-mirroring-roku/). Screen mirroring is a wireless technology which allows you to switch/cast the media, playing on your Android, Windows, or Apple device. It allows you to a larger one instead of small for a better viewing experience.

Kylethetrue
05-11-2018, 04:33 AM
I see you can upgrade weapons. Is there a way to upgrade the rarity also?

Vakris_One
05-11-2018, 05:50 PM
I see you can upgrade weapons. Is there a way to upgrade the rarity also?
No. You cannot upgrade the rarity of a weapon or gear piece, you can only level them up to within the capped limits of their rarity tier. In order to get a higher rarity weapon/gear piece you have to loot it. The more rep levels you put into a single character the higher the loot drop rarity gets for that specific hero.

There are 5 rarity levels. Each can be recognised by the colour of their selection box:
- Common (white box colour)
- Rare (blue)
- Heroic (purple)
- Epic (gold)
- Legendary (mint green)

The loot drops for reputation levels are as follows:

Rep 0: Common

Rep 1: Rare and Common

Rep 2: Rare

Rep 3: Heroic and Rare

Rep 4: Heroic

Rep 5: Epic and Heroic

Rep 6: Epic

Rep 7: Legendary and Epic

Rep 8: Legendary.

This is why you should wait until your character is rep level 8 before using your crates to quickly loot gear for them because then you will ensure that you only get the highest Legendary gear. Only once you have legendary gear should you start to spend steel and salvage to level that gear up because it saves you steel in the long run since you will be discarding all lower rarities eventually.

For Fashion is a great community made website where you can view all the weapons and gear that every character can obtain along with their rarity tier:
- https://forfashion.draghmar.pl