PDA

View Full Version : The Faction War needs to be Fixed.

AnimeFreakIncs
05-07-2018, 12:47 AM
Back in December 2017 I got For Honor for Christmas, and I've been pretty much playing it almost non-stop, only getting off when I have work the next day or to go play something else. For the most part, it's by far my favorite game on the PS4, I'm actually rather decent at it and for once I can hold my own unlike other games I've played. It's great. However there are issues here and there, sometimes the connection is bad, and other times I'll encounter a turtle or three but it's mostly good. However there is only glaring issue I've noticed.

The factions are severely unbalanced. From the looks of it there are way more Vikings than Samurai and Knights, and this causes a bit of inflation and also allows them to win territories a lot faster than the other teams.

There is another issue with this, and thats that players are grouped with players from all teams during a battle. You might be a knight and suddenly you're fighting with two vikings and a samurai, and maybe the entire enemy team is all knight players. If you win the battle, you'll get bonus soldiers for winning but so will the players from the enemy factions.

However, if the enemy team wins, since they're all knights, they'll get bonus soldiers. This will only really work for a while though, and eventually the faction with the most players will likely win again. I feel there are a few ways that this can be fixed and would like to here other ways this can be fixed. I'll go over a few ideas I have.

The First Idea is the most preferable- You only get teamed up with players from your faction and fight players from the other factions. This would prevent knight players from fighting knight players and samurai players from fighting samurai. This would allow for players to only fight with their faction members and when they'd win a fight it wouldn't benefit the other factions like how it currently does. However players who have friends on other factions would be forced to leave one if they wanted to play with there friend which would be annoying for some people. But in the end this would be better since this way when a Knight player wins, all of his teammates would be knights rather that players from the other factions.

This Second Idea borrows from the first one, but is a bit severe- Players can only team up with people from their faction and play heroes from their faction. The advantage to this would be that each faction has unique heroes to choose from and it would actually be important which one you chose. More important than some dumb shape confirming what faction you chose. However, this would be annoying for lots of people since some people use heroes from a different faction. Despite being a loyal Knights player, I use Kensei quite a bit (I'm garbage I know.) But an advantage this would provide is that because heroes are faction locked players may join another faction and balance out the player counts more just because they like a hero, and also so they could play with their friend.

Another idea is to just force whatever team currently has the highest player count to donate about 50% or 25% of it's players to the other two factions. However everything else remains the same. This would only balance player-count and not the war itself.

Anyway does anyone have any ideas how the whole "faction war" could be fixed, if any? Or am I just all alone on this?

SHRiIVIP
05-07-2018, 01:01 AM
What I would like to see them implement is taking all the territories captured throughout each of the five battles to determine who wins. Rather than the ending number of controlled territories. It won't fix everything, but it's sure makes a lot more sense that the system they have now.

ChampionRuby50g
05-07-2018, 02:21 AM
Firstly, Samurai actually have the most members in their faction, with Vikings having the least amount of players with knights obviously been in the middle. Vikings are as strong as the are right now for a few reasons, the main one been that we get more troops on average because we have less players in our faction. Couple that with the fact that on average Vikings win more matches and play better, we get even more of a bonus. This is what needs to be fixed to have the faction war balanced.

Instead of forcing players to choose a medium faction if they wanna play with their friends, they need to add a game mode that is solely focused on the faction war and draws on only Vikings fighting against other factions. I do not want to change from my faction to play with a friend just because they are a Knight, and vice versa.

ArchDukeInstinct
05-07-2018, 02:27 AM
It's working fine. Viking won 2 seasons in a row and almost completely steam rolled this most recent one

AnimeFreakIncs
05-08-2018, 08:48 PM
What I would like to see them implement is taking all the territories captured throughout each of the five battles to determine who wins. Rather than the ending number of controlled territories. It won't fix everything, but it's sure makes a lot more sense that the system they have now.

At least it would give the other teams a better chance of winning. I'm sick and tired of seeing those scummy Viking players win everything.

AnimeFreakIncs
05-08-2018, 08:50 PM
It's working fine. Viking won 2 seasons in a row and almost completely steam rolled this most recent one

There are several things wrong with that sentence, mainly, "Vikings" and "Won 2 seasons in a row."

CandleInTheDark
05-08-2018, 08:54 PM
At least it would give the other teams a better chance of winning. I'm sick and tired of seeing those scummy Viking players win everything.

If the other two didn't pour xx million assets into one square most of every round then they would have a chance of making that happen. Instead they fight over one square and the vikings come from the North more or less unchecked across many of the territories.

AnimeFreakIncs
05-08-2018, 08:57 PM
Firstly, Samurai actually have the most members in their faction, with Vikings having the least amount of players with knights obviously been in the middle. Vikings are as strong as the are right now for a few reasons, the main one been that we get more troops on average because we have less players in our faction. Couple that with the fact that on average Vikings win more matches and play better, we get even more of a bonus. This is what needs to be fixed to have the faction war balanced.

Instead of forcing players to choose a medium faction if they wanna play with their friends, they need to add a game mode that is solely focused on the faction war and draws on only Vikings fighting against other factions. I do not want to change from my faction to play with a friend just because they are a Knight, and vice versa.

I mainly want the faction a player chooses to mean something. Whether thats you can only play with your factions respective heroes, or other players on your faction (in a similar case to Elder Scrolls Online.)

However, I like your idea a lot. I'd definitely like it if there was some sort of "competitive" or other screen or something dedicated to the faction war, but that'd defeat the purpose of the game. (In my eyes.) As for the Vikings having the least amount of players, that's not the way it seems on the PS4, (At least to me.) I almost never see Samurai players, and whenever I do see a Viking, they usually just gank or throw me into a corner and spam that the entire time. I've only seen a total of 23 players on the Vikings team I'd call skilled. (No offense to you, of course.) As for Samurai players I've really only met ones who are just okay at the game. (They still gank though.) As for knights majority I've seen have skill but get salty fast and gank if they die even once.

AkenoKobayashi
05-08-2018, 09:25 PM
This is what I've been saying, and Ubi has yet to address it. Vikings get a population bonus, which has been incorporated since launch as a means to prevent the larger two factions from steamrolling them too fast, but due to the way the game has been over the last year most of the Samurai players have either stopped playing or joined the Vikings. Hence why neither the Knights or Samurai can keep the Vikings in check. We don't have the man power to keep up with the more active Vikings, and the Knights care more about a volcano than their entire kingdom.

HazelrahFirefly
05-08-2018, 09:32 PM
It will be almost impossible to balance though. They give a bonus to the Viking players because of their low population- this makes sense, it's an act of balance.

However, the Vikings then play the hell out of the game and "abuse" that bonus. The problem is that it is severely risky to lower the bonus they get because what if all of a sudden there is a drop off in viking players and they get steamrolled?

I dont think the faction war can actually be fixed at this point. All I've come to care about is having those mills and forge for extra loot and xp. This is why I'm changing from Samurai to Viking during this off season... unless they come out with big changes that convince me otherwise.

CandleInTheDark
05-08-2018, 09:33 PM
This is what I've been saying, and Ubi has yet to address it. Vikings get a population bonus, which has been incorporated since launch as a means to prevent the larger two factions from steamrolling them too fast, but due to the way the game has been over the last year most of the Samurai players have either stopped playing or joined the Vikings. Hence why neither the Knights or Samurai can keep the Vikings in check. We don't have the man power to keep up with the more active Vikings, and the Knights care more about a volcano than their entire kingdom.

Those players that have stopped playing won't be on the balancing, they change it every week, those that have joined the vikings bring down their bonus and raise the samurai's so you get that back 1% for 1% whatever those numbers are.

Not saying things don't need to change but your arguments don't make sense outside the volcano.

However, the Vikings then play the hell out of the game and "abuse" that bonus. The problem is that it is severely risky to lower the bonus they get because what if all of a sudden there is a drop off in viking players and they get steamrolled?

Not sure how they abuse the bonus, they play the game, not their fault if the others don't play as much or smart.

UbiJurassic
05-08-2018, 10:53 PM

If the other two didn't pour xx million assets into one square most of every round then they would have a chance of making that happen. Instead they fight over one square and the vikings come from the North more or less unchecked across many of the territories.

It's pretty much as Champion and Candle say it is. Vikings are the smallest faction, but also win more on average. Most of this past season has been spent with the Knights planting all their assets on the volcano territory or on top of a single strategic territory. Early in the season, the Samurai were very intent on taking the volcano from the Knights. It was until around halfway through the season that we saw the Knights and Samurai deploy their assets more strategically.

As always, we're looking for better ways to improve the game and we certainly appreciate your feedback on the Faction War!

ChampionRuby50g
05-08-2018, 11:04 PM
I mainly want the faction a player chooses to mean something. Whether thats you can only play with your factions respective heroes, or other players on your faction (in a similar case to Elder Scrolls Online.)

However, I like your idea a lot. I'd definitely like it if there was some sort of "competitive" or other screen or something dedicated to the faction war, but that'd defeat the purpose of the game. (In my eyes.) As for the Vikings having the least amount of players, that's not the way it seems on the PS4, (At least to me.) I almost never see Samurai players, and whenever I do see a Viking, they usually just gank or throw me into a corner and spam that the entire time. I've only seen a total of 23 players on the Vikings team I'd call skilled. (No offense to you, of course.) As for Samurai players I've really only met ones who are just okay at the game. (They still gank though.) As for knights majority I've seen have skill but get salty fast and gank if they die even once.

Yeah I get where you are coming from and I agree. It hasnít really meant anything so far and the only real difference is emblem and small things.

As for the least amount of numbers, I suppose how many players you see that are part of one faction kinda depends on region. For example, Asian players would most likely be Samurai members, as itís closest to their current culture, and Asia is huge with a massive playerbase. Then a lot of these players are no longer active on this game which effects the Samurai faction. Europe I imagine would be a lot of Knights/Vikings.

HazelrahFirefly
05-08-2018, 11:40 PM
Not sure how they abuse the bonus, they play the game, not their fault if the others don't play as much or smart.

Seriously? That's why the word was in quotation marks. Of course they're not actually abusing it. It's a bad system all around that allows for resource earning inflation just because they play the game.

CandleInTheDark
05-08-2018, 11:41 PM
Seriously? That's why the word was in quotation marks. Of course they're not actually abusing it. It's a bad system all around that allows for resource earning inflation just because they play the game.

Ah dangit, sorry, missed the "", my apologies.

RenegadeTX2000
05-09-2018, 01:51 AM
I bandwagoned on the vikings and haven't regretted it... I'm enjoying the extra XP mills I'm getting as well. Very nice

HazelrahFirefly
05-09-2018, 02:42 AM
Ah dangit, sorry, missed the "", my apologies.

No prob man! Things happen.

I bandwagoned on the vikings and haven't regretted it... I'm enjoying the extra XP mills I'm getting as well. Very nice

Damn you lol.

ArchDukeInstinct
05-09-2018, 03:01 AM
There are several things wrong with that sentence, mainly, "Vikings" and "Won 2 seasons in a row."

You should be thanking us Vikings for hoarding all these lackluster ornaments so it doesn't bloat your customization screen.

AkenoKobayashi
05-09-2018, 04:43 AM
Those players that have stopped playing won't be on the balancing, they change it every week, those that have joined the vikings bring down their bonus and raise the samurai's so you get that back 1% for 1% whatever those numbers are.

Not saying things don't need to change but your arguments don't make sense outside the volcano.

Firstly, is there or is there not a system in place to balance asset acquirement based on population? If so, then what does that system consider as "total population"? Active players or total players?

E1seNw0Lf
05-09-2018, 05:57 AM
What I wanna see for faction war is something like this:

20% war assets bonus
* is no longer a global front passiv; it is a random lootable buff (like gear loot) that has to be activated manually
and lasts ~2h (activation costs salvage); it's basically a faction war resource only
[* optional: drop chance / interval could be set depending on faction player strength; removing the current compensation system]
* war banner has a default war assets bonus of 5% (stacks with 20% buff up to 25%)
+ played any match with a character of the faction the player is in >> 20% bonus is available on all fronts
+ played any match with a non-faction character >> 20% bonus is available on actual match front only
values are just examples

If you would like to see this in game too, please leave a thumbs up - thx. ;)

zcubed
05-09-2018, 06:39 AM
I'll keep my personal bias towards Faction War out of it and try to stay neutral in my example. If the low pop is most active that alone would be enough to negate any perceived imbalance.

Let's say Faction A has 1000 active players, but they only play for 1 hour today. Totals 1000hrs. Faction B has 700 active players, but they are more active and play for 2 hours today. That totals 1400hrs. The only way the lower faction loses is if they play the same as the other Faction. Bottom line: play longer regardless of Faction and contribute more.

Percentage tallies differ bases on the population as well. Faction A has 1000 active players, each participates in a battle: 1000 battles, but only win 100 of them that is 10% Faction B has 700 active players, each participates in a battle: 700 battles and win 100 as well. that's a little over 14% Same amount of "wins" but the smaller faction has "better" percentage. Bottom line: Smaller faction, it's easer to look better.

I only used two Factions for simplicity. A third faction in the middle doesn't alter the high and low. Also I'm aware of the many variables that can be present in any given round, but I address that with my finishing thought:

If boosts need to be given to a Faction, for "balance" reasons, it should be dynamically done and not just a blanket boost based on perceived advantage/disadvantage scenarios.

AkenoKobayashi
05-11-2018, 11:15 PM
I'll keep my personal bias towards Faction War out of it and try to stay neutral in my example. If the low pop is most active that alone would be enough to negate any perceived imbalance.

Let's say Faction A has 1000 active players, but they only play for 1 hour today. Totals 1000hrs. Faction B has 700 active players, but they are more active and play for 2 hours today. That totals 1400hrs. The only way the lower faction loses is if they play the same as the other Faction. Bottom line: play longer regardless of Faction and contribute more.

Percentage tallies differ bases on the population as well. Faction A has 1000 active players, each participates in a battle: 1000 battles, but only win 100 of them that is 10% Faction B has 700 active players, each participates in a battle: 700 battles and win 100 as well. that's a little over 14% Same amount of "wins" but the smaller faction has "better" percentage. Bottom line: Smaller faction, it's easer to look better.

I only used two Factions for simplicity. A third faction in the middle doesn't alter the high and low. Also I'm aware of the many variables that can be present in any given round, but I address that with my finishing thought:

If boosts need to be given to a Faction, for "balance" reasons, it should be dynamically done and not just a blanket boost based on perceived advantage/disadvantage scenarios.

But how does the current system take the population numbers into account? Is it total population, regardless of active or inactive players, or is it purely active players within a time frame. From what I've been seeing, I feel that it doesn't take the active/inactive numbers into account, and considers the whole population, thus is an imbalance because there are currently more inactive players in the largest faction vs the smallest faction.

More total Samurai vs smaller total Vikings means the Vikings are getting the population bonus to assets, on top of the fact that there are more inactive people in the Samurai due to the larger population compared to the Vikings, thus the Vikings are able to pump out more assets vs the Samurai's active player base.

The amount of hours that the larger faction plays, with what active players it has, would need to be 2x what the smallest faction plays to make up the numbers to outperform the smaller faction, which has more active players and produces more assets because of it.