PDA

View Full Version : Any Good Free-Choice Online Dogfight Site?

Avivion
03-26-2009, 01:46 AM
I only like fighting in the Spitfire, and I would like to know is there an online site where I can choose to fight in an aircraft of my choice?

Most online server seems to always pre-dictate a mission with only certain aircraft to fight in.

I only want a quick, get straight to head-to-head kind of fight, using the Sptfire against whichever other or same fighter.

Avivion
03-26-2009, 01:46 AM
I only like fighting in the Spitfire, and I would like to know is there an online site where I can choose to fight in an aircraft of my choice?

Most online server seems to always pre-dictate a mission with only certain aircraft to fight in.

I only want a quick, get straight to head-to-head kind of fight, using the Sptfire against whichever other or same fighter.

general_kalle
03-26-2009, 01:53 AM
you know thats a very very noobish thing to say.

But i would go for AAA server

Sillius_Sodus
03-26-2009, 11:44 AM
Generally speaking, if you are in the Hyperlobby, the easier the server settings, the more likely you will find what you seek. Stay with the df servers, I believe there are many which feature Spitfires.

Choctaw111
03-26-2009, 12:11 PM
I'm sure Hyperlobby will have something that fits what he is looking for.
I am not sure about servers that don't have plane sets though.

megalopsuche
03-26-2009, 12:25 PM
Wow. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/clap.gif

jayhall0315
03-26-2009, 01:22 PM
Avivion, if you only like flying around with your Spitfire in tight little turns (let me guess, its the Spit 25lbs model and with open cockpits too, right ?), you should find plenty of friends.

There are no specific servers where they only fly Spits all the time, but you could try the Head Hunters team server or Merc Team server. You will have the option of using the super spits on almost every single map all day long if you so choose.

As I think about it, thats about 40% of all flying on Hyperlobby. LOL Heck, right off the top of my head I can think of one large squadron where every single member flys the Spit 25lbs on most nights, usually below 700m. I am sure they would love you.

gorkyporky
03-26-2009, 03:55 PM
Try SkiesOfFire and AAA. But i recomend you dont really ask questons like that here, because we frown upon people like you.

na85
03-26-2009, 04:55 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by jayhall0315:
Avivion, if you only like flying around with your Spitfire in tight little turns (let me guess, its the Spit 25lbs model and with open cockpits too, right ?), you should find plenty of friends.

There are no specific servers where they only fly Spits all the time, but you could try the Head Hunters team server or Merc Team server. You will have the option of using the super spits on almost every single map all day long if you so choose.

As I think about it, thats about 40% of all flying on Hyperlobby. LOL Heck, right off the top of my head I can think of one large squadron where every single member flys the Spit 25lbs on most nights, usually below 700m. I am sure they would love you. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You know, I think the Spit 25 is a clown wagon too, but attitudes like this really cheese me.

Especially from someone who touts himself as friend of the newbies with his IL2 guide for newbies (where you recommended flying the La7... LOL).

Being condescending and rude to new pilots will not make the rest of us think you belong in your vaunted "master class" or whatever. Be sure.

There are lots of silly people who will ONLY fly FW190s or 109s or P47s or whatever (about half the regulars at Warclouds), and who cry if it's not in the plane set. I would argue that these people are easily as inflexible as Avivion and yet they draw far less ire.

Why is nobody suggesting alternate aircraft that he might like? Servers with intermediate difficulty where they have spits but also have objective-based missions? (warclouds?)

danjama
03-26-2009, 05:00 PM
hey man whats with the attitude guys come on

each to his own

wtf

@original poster....maybesetup your own dogfight room mate and get some friends involved, or maybe co-ops.

Also, as said, try the AAA server, Skies of valor, and a couple others....

danjama
03-26-2009, 05:02 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by gorkyporky:
But i recomend you dont really ask questons like that here, because we frown upon people like you. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Who is this "we"?

nobody i know well here does http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/51.gif

megalopsuche
03-26-2009, 05:16 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by danjama:
Also, as said, try the AAA server, Skies of valor, and a couple others.... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

"Skies of valor" has rotating historical matchups (mostly); you must mean "skies of fire."

Insuber
03-26-2009, 05:17 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by danjama:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by gorkyporky:
But i recomend you dont really ask questons like that here, because we frown upon people like you. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Who is this "we"?

nobody i know well here does http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/51.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well said Danjama. Stop bullying the new colleagues.

Welcome Avivion, I suggest you go to Hyperlobby and select one of the AAA servers, as told above, either open or closed cockpit. JG Oldies can fit as well, being less populated and with a rich planeset, in open cockpit.

Enjoy the game,

Ins

danjama
03-26-2009, 05:32 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by megalopsuche:
Also, as said, try the AAA server, Skies of valor, and a couple others.... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

"Skies of valor" has rotating historical matchups (mostly); you must mean "skies of fire." </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

yea thats the one!

ElAurens
03-26-2009, 05:40 PM
I am always taken aback by the abject hatred of the Supermarine Spitfire by many members of this board, yet they would jump at the chance to fly the 109K4 C3 or other uber clown crates and would never think of flying anything from a 1939 or '40 planeset. Bizarre behavior at best.

And jayhall0315, aren't you the one always going on about flying Corsairs or other Allied planes against other Allied birds?

n00b.

jayhall0315
03-26-2009, 06:10 PM
LOL. Okay guys I give ya credit for pointing out that someone who tries to help out new guys with guides and, such can in fact come across as a snob.

Good point and thanks for the correction. (head bows low)

I guess I too have a tendancy to vacillate between a general desire to help new guys and a strong ire for folks that fly the Spit 25lbs primarily. You certainly dont have to master the FW 190, Corsair or P51 to be cool in my book but guys that only fly the later war Spits and then claim they are an ace tends to sit with me wrong.

Thank goodness I am no longer involved in the actual evaluation process any longer for the Master's List, but part of my dislike for Spit 25lb pilots was the large amount of submissions we received from folks nominating guys who primarily flew the Spit 25lbs and then wondered why they were not included on the Master's List. So we would go out and fly against these guys with our own Spit 25lbs and La7s, I-185 M71 and such, in which they often did fine. Then we would ask to see how they handled energy tactics in a Corsair, or how their closed cockpit skills were when they handled the FW 190 etc... and they often did very poorly. We would often ask them to fly middle year Spits as well that do not have some of the uber characteristics of the Spit 25lbs, and many of them also did poorly with that as well. Basically we had to try and separate the pilot from the incredible climb rates, energy conversion, turning ability etc.. of the Spit 25lbs.

There are guys on the Masters List who fly Spit 25lbs alot (and on open pit servers), but, and this is important, they also use tactics, training and energy experience IN ADDITION to just relying on the airframe characteristics of the Spit 25lbs.

I guess that is what caused me irritation.

As for recommending the La7, Na85, well anyone who flies it, knows that it has limitations in several areas. Dive limit, fuel burn rate, high altitude performance and the blackout factor are all serious limitations which put the La7 in its place. The reason I recommend it to new guys who want to get a start on HL servers like AAA or Skies of Fire is that it is very fast, so a new guy can disengage when he chooses and not when his enemy chooses and it is hard to stall, of obvious benefit to new guys.

I would argue that the Spit 25lbs does have limitations as well but that they are smaller, factor in less critically with the flying primarily seen throughout HL servers and that in turn makes the Spit 25lbs the plane with the most buckets full so to speak in my book.

jayhall0315
03-26-2009, 06:25 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by na85:

....There are lots of silly people who will ONLY fly FW190s or 109s or P47s or whatever (about half the regulars at Warclouds), and who cry if it's not in the plane set. I would argue that these people are easily as inflexible as Avivion and yet they draw far less ire.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, extremely good point and true ! LOL Never did I think of seeing myself as a Corsair/FW 190 snob, but I just might be one of these guys.

Thanks for the reality check.

Its like that ole French phrase, "The man in the mirror becomes you".

Avivion
03-26-2009, 07:04 PM
Wow, thanks folks for all your very "overwhelming" response. This is what diversity is really about. Will take a look at some of the recommended lobby.

megalopsuche
03-26-2009, 07:05 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by jayhall0315:
I guess I too have a tendancy to vacillate between a general desire to help new guys and a strong ire for folks that fly the Spit 25lbs primarily. You certainly dont have to master the FW 190, Corsair or P51 to be cool in my book but guys that only fly the later war Spits and then claim they are an ace tends to sit with me wrong.

Thank goodness I am no longer involved in the actual evaluation process any longer for the Master's List, but part of my dislike for Spit 25lb pilots was the large amount of submissions we received from folks nominating guys who primarily flew the Spit 25lbs and then wondered why they were not included on the Master's List. So we would go out and fly against these guys with our own Spit 25lbs and La7s, I-185 M71 and such, in which they often did fine. Then we would ask to see how they handled energy tactics in a Corsair, or how their closed cockpit skills were when they handled the FW 190 etc... and they often did very poorly. We would often ask them to fly middle year Spits as well that do not have some of the uber characteristics of the Spit 25lbs, and many of them also did poorly with that as well. Basically we had to try and separate the pilot from the incredible climb rates, energy conversion, turning ability etc.. of the Spit 25lbs.

There are guys on the Masters List who fly Spit 25lbs alot (and on open pit servers), but, and this is important, they also use tactics, training and energy experience IN ADDITION to just relying on the airframe characteristics of the Spit 25lbs. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Good post. There's only one thing I'd add, which is that only flying aircraft like the Spit 25lbs is at best one of the slowest ways to improve, and at worst it can stunt ACM/energy management growth completely.

Bearcat99
03-26-2009, 08:59 PM
See the N ugget's Guide in myh sig .. scroll down to For online play .....

DKoor
03-27-2009, 08:38 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Avivion:
Wow, thanks folks for all your very "overwhelming" response. This is what diversity is really about. Will take a look at some of the recommended lobby. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>If you want "free for all" servers, chances are that you will never fly Seafire and Spitfire V. Heck you will likely pass even ordinary Spitfire IX and fly only Spitfire IX-25lbs.
And thats a shame. On free for all servers settings are usually easier, but planeset is almost always as a rule the best pistons there is (except jets in most cases).
Therefore all those nice earlier variants are out.

On more historical servers you can fly all kind of scenarios but with historical planeset. Usually (but not always) realism settings are higher.

I think you would really like UK_dedicated 2, it isnt so strict on settings yet it is historical.http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

danjama
03-27-2009, 10:06 AM
Yea i think he would like UKD2, that's one server i have always liked, and still fly now.

Avivion
03-27-2009, 08:11 PM
By the way, just curious.

Where and should the Spit be thought as superior to other aircraft make, how about flying 1 V 2, or even 1 V 3 (against the best Zeros, Bfs, Yaks, etc., all set at Ace level)? Anyone tried this before? It can quickly become humbling. And when the scores start to even out, it can get satisfying too.

For me, it's just for the thrill of ACM flying.

megalopsuche
03-29-2009, 11:30 AM
It's not that the Spitfire is so superior to its typical opponents, it's that it is almost impossible to fly it incorrectly. It requires little skill, little thought, and little knowledge of ACM. Other aircraft require more effort to become as effective as a poorly flown spitfire.

ElAurens
03-29-2009, 05:10 PM
The Spits easy ways were one of it's virtues in real life as well.

Making a fighting machine easier for it's operator, be it a tank, a side arm, or an aeroplane, is/should be one of the paramount quests of any designer.

megalopsuche
03-29-2009, 07:16 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ElAurens:
The Spits easy ways were one of it's virtues in real life as well.

Making a fighting machine easier for it's operator, be it a tank, a side arm, or an aeroplane, is/should be one of the paramount quests of any designer. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Agree 100%. The gentle qualities of the Spitfire (and hurricane) were a huge bonus in 1940 when the UK was short on experienced pilots.