PDA

View Full Version : Health and Repair Costs

Bipolar Matt
08-14-2011, 11:07 AM
I think a great way to change the gameplay dynamic of future AC games would be to greatly increase the cost of repairing your armor and healing yourself.

In AC2 and ACB you could basically jump in without a care, take on every guard in the city and come out with just a few scratches, have your armor all fixed up for 500 some florins and your health all regenerated for 50

Whoop-de-doo.

You could really add a great element of strategy and gameplay if it weren't that simple. For example, a sliding cost for regaining health. As you gain health squares, it costs a lot more to regain them. Say 10,000 florins for 25 health diamonds. It's more realistic as well in that tending to wounds like that is not trivial matter.

Same thing with armor. It costs god knows how much for a full set of Missaglias Armor in AC2. And 500 florins to fix it up. They should make it so that fixing armor is very expensive and it can only be done a few times before the armor has to be discarded and a whole new set purchased.

I'd like to see this. It'd make people have to play the game a lot more intelligently if there were real consequences from getting hurt in combat.

Bipolar Matt
08-14-2011, 11:07 AM
I think a great way to change the gameplay dynamic of future AC games would be to greatly increase the cost of repairing your armor and healing yourself.

In AC2 and ACB you could basically jump in without a care, take on every guard in the city and come out with just a few scratches, have your armor all fixed up for 500 some florins and your health all regenerated for 50

Whoop-de-doo.

You could really add a great element of strategy and gameplay if it weren't that simple. For example, a sliding cost for regaining health. As you gain health squares, it costs a lot more to regain them. Say 10,000 florins for 25 health diamonds. It's more realistic as well in that tending to wounds like that is not trivial matter.

Same thing with armor. It costs god knows how much for a full set of Missaglias Armor in AC2. And 500 florins to fix it up. They should make it so that fixing armor is very expensive and it can only be done a few times before the armor has to be discarded and a whole new set purchased.

I'd like to see this. It'd make people have to play the game a lot more intelligently if there were real consequences from getting hurt in combat.

ShaneO7K
08-14-2011, 11:10 AM
It would probably get to frustrating for some people that don't take the time to fix the shops and would rather be buying other items.

LightRey
08-14-2011, 12:41 PM
Who even buys medicine anymore? I just steal it from the guards I kill.

lukaszep
08-14-2011, 12:50 PM
Some players might get frustrated having to re-buy armor, but i like everything else. It's not like players won't have enough money anyway... i have a few million florins on AC:B at the moment and nothing to spend it on.

naran6142
08-14-2011, 01:53 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by LightRey:
Who even buys medicine anymore? I just steal it from the guards I kill. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

exactly. i dont even buy equipment, i just kill guards and loot them until i max out my equipment. or instead of making things cost more they could make money harder to come by.

but i think of all things this is probably the thing least in care about

Ureh
08-14-2011, 04:18 PM
They need to bring back the difficulty of AC1 but retain the variety from AC2/ACB somehow.

I was able to breeze through one of my playthroughs without having to buy/loot medicine, nor did I wear any armor except a broken pauldron. Every few checkpoints (and there are a lot of them) your health is automatically restored. On top of that Ezio's weapons/abilities are just too deadly and on the rare occassion that you're about to die you can continue killing while making sure you don't get hit or just defend until you're back in the green.

Bipolar Matt
08-14-2011, 04:44 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by LightRey:
Who even buys medicine anymore? I just steal it from the guards I kill. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Maybe guards shouldn't carry medicine in the next game. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

LightRey
08-14-2011, 05:00 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BipolarMatt:

Maybe guards shouldn't carry medicine in the next game. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
but why wouldn't they? It makes sense for them to carry around medicine.

thedeadman_47
08-14-2011, 07:08 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ureh:
They need to bring back the difficulty of AC1 but retain the variety from AC2/ACB somehow. </div></BLOCKQUOTE> the ai in ac2 and acb is almost at the same difficulty as ac1 not much difference between them but what makes deifference is the skills they gave you as in ac1 you had the counter and dodge and grab which only the counter that mattered and by this it gave you a challenge to use your fighting skills at combat but in ac2 you had all of these plus disarm and hidden blade as a wepon and a few more things and in acb they added the kill streak and assassin recruits which made things even easier but basicly it's almost the same AI which makes the combat unbalanced alwys giving you the upper hand which is dull

Ureh
08-14-2011, 09:48 PM
I felt that there were enough differences to make them stand apart.

AC1 guards did a lot more damage, countered if you used a combo, can damage you while you're on the ground, will often attack you as soon as you engage another guard with a combo, can break your defense and immediately follow with combo, they try to grab you frequently - even on rooftop fights.

Add that on top of health regenerating slowly, no medicine, inability to block with hidden blade and small window of opportunity to counter with it (when compared to ac2 and acb). Also you can't pull off dagger/throwing dagger combos whenever you want. I still die 2-3 times on a playthrough in AC1 because enemies are more powerful.

But I agree that even these differences weren't enough to make combat difficult and by including additional gadgets, allies, abilities and making enemies less powerful it became extremely easy.

Animuses
08-15-2011, 01:27 AM
You get about the same amount of time to counter with the hidden blade in AC and AC2.

If you got down the timing of the hidden blade in AC, it became easy to kill guards.
You would counter a guard, assassinate a distracted guard, and grab break a guard... not hard at all.

eagleforlife1
08-15-2011, 02:16 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BipolarMatt:

Maybe guards shouldn't carry medicine in the next game. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
but why wouldn't they? It makes sense for them to carry around medicine. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Does it? I don't see many policeman carrying medicine around with them whilst patrolling the streets.

EmmaBemma
08-15-2011, 03:08 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by eagleforlife1:
Does it? I don't see many policeman carrying medicine around with them whilst patrolling the streets. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Some do (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Police_duty_belt#First_aid_kit) It varies by country/region, of course.

LightRey
08-15-2011, 06:04 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by eagleforlife1:

but why wouldn't they? It makes sense for them to carry around medicine. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Does it? I don't see many policeman carrying medicine around with them whilst patrolling the streets. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Policemen often have a first aid kit.

Calvarok
08-15-2011, 10:08 PM
You should honestly just get less money, and have more incentive to buy things. That would make the economy work.

Jexx21
08-15-2011, 11:12 PM
..I jumped in all the time without a care taking on every single guard in Assassin's Creed 1.

What makes it different? My health just regenerated.

And I literally mean jump. Most of the time when I was saving a citizen I just jumped off a building, locked onto a guard, and assassinated him with the hidden blade. Mah starting move.

LightRey
08-16-2011, 07:43 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jexx21:
..I jumped in all the time without a care taking on every single guard in Assassin's Creed 1.

What makes it different? My health just regenerated.

And I literally mean jump. Most of the time when I was saving a citizen I just jumped off a building, locked onto a guard, and assassinated him with the hidden blade. Mah starting move. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Yeah, I really don't understand why people find fighting to be harder in AC1 than in AC2 or ACB. The fighting in AC1 was easy. When I was bored I used to take on really large groups just for the heck of it, just like in AC2 and ACB.

Ureh
08-16-2011, 08:25 AM
Let me clarify what I meant: I never said AC1 combat was hard or significantly harder. I said that it was slightly harder when compared to the other two games due to less gadgets, abilities, allies, and more powerful enemies (when compared to guards from other games). Of course combat becomes extremely easy when you fight with the hidden blade (for reasons that animuses stated).

While I wouldn't expect anyone to remember but I've mentioned many other times that I thought it was too easy.

I just bothered to point out some of the distinctions between the systems that I thought would make a difference (such as no medicine, slower health regeneration, enemies able to break your defense and are slightly more aggressive, etc). These aspect didn't make the AC1 combat hard by any means but I think the AC1 guards posed a slightly bigger threat compared to their counterparts because of these minor differences.