PDA

View Full Version : Shugoki's in a tough spot right now, yes, but hyper armor negating a Highlander grab?

Mighty_Mackerel
04-30-2018, 09:40 PM
I was fighting a Shugoki as Highlander earlier today, and I landed a Caber Toss on him but his hyper armor negated it. I understand that the Shugoki hyper armor eats bashes and strikes, but it doesn't even make sense that it can negate a grab... If a Guard Break can go through his hyper armor bubble then why can't a Caber Toss do the same? Is this just a Highlander issue or am I just unaware that the Shugoki hyper armor negates all forms of grabs from other characters as well? If the former, then Highlander just gets the shaft way too often now doesn't he? If the latter, then that is a little imbalanced in my opinion since that basically means virtually all characters must always open with a guard break if they want to even the playing field when fighting a Shugoki.

Thoughts?

Archaelion
04-30-2018, 10:01 PM
Complaining about shugoki. I feel embarassed for you.

Jarl.Felix
04-30-2018, 10:13 PM

Indeed :))

Mighty_Mackerel
05-01-2018, 10:32 AM

Complaining about how Aramusha needs a buff. I feel embarassed for you.

Trenk2009
05-01-2018, 11:27 AM

Uh .... Aramusha do indeed needs a buff ...

Lunatriptika
05-01-2018, 11:28 AM
How can you complain about Shugoki, the poor buddy doesn't have any combo or flexibility as Highlander. He can be very strong in good hands, but still limited.
And the Highlander's grab is already op enough, I mean you can literally grab someone who's ROLLING. You can even grab someone who's at the edge of hitting you.

If you think this is a little imbalanced... The whole game is imbalanced. When I see the Zerk' now and others, I still wonder how this happened. :confused:

BTTrinity
05-01-2018, 02:47 PM

Lmao he does tho, hes a strictly worse version of Zerk

SphericalChip53
05-01-2018, 03:12 PM
If you think OP is talking nonsense, then consider this: Glad's skewer, which is meant primarily as a high bleed damage attack, will literally bounce off Shugoki's hyperarmor. Does that seem right to you??

Vakris_One
05-01-2018, 03:13 PM
I was fighting a Shugoki as Highlander earlier today, and I landed a Caber Toss on him but his hyper armor negated it. I understand that the Shugoki hyper armor eats bashes and strikes, but it doesn't even make sense that it can negate a grab... If a Guard Break can go through his hyper armor bubble then why can't a Caber Toss do the same? Is this just a Highlander issue or am I just unaware that the Shugoki hyper armor negates all forms of grabs from other characters as well? If the former, then Highlander just gets the shaft way too often now doesn't he? If the latter, then that is a little imbalanced in my opinion since that basically means virtually all characters must always open with a guard break if they want to even the playing field when fighting a Shugoki.

Thoughts?
Have you tried replicating this in the training arena? As far as I know Highlander's caber toss should be able to grab a Shugo through his hyper armour.

As for balance-wise, Highlander is in a good place now but Shugo is very underpowered. He literally only has headbutt after light to rely on.

SphericalChip53
05-01-2018, 03:19 PM
Have you tried replicating this in the training arena? As far as I know Highlander's caber toss should be able to grab a Shugo through his hyper armour.

As for balance-wise, Highlander is in a good place now but Shugo is very underpowered. He literally only has headbutt after light to rely on.

It doesn't land through the hyperarmor because the hyperarmor is meant to absorb any kind of CC, which includes regular bashes, Glad's skewer, and Highlander and Shaman's grabs even.

Vakris_One
05-01-2018, 03:20 PM
If you think OP is talking nonsense, then consider this: Glad's skewer, which is meant primarily as a high bleed damage attack, will literally bounce off Shugoki's hyperarmor. Does that seem right to you??
Um, well yeah. The whole point of hyper armour is to prevent you from being interrupted by an attack. The Glad's skewer is registered as an attack and not a grab thus it does not bypass hyper armour. This game is centred around rock, paper, scissors. Hyper armour bypasses attacks and CC stun/bash moves. Guard breaks and double lights bypass hyper armour.

SphericalChip53
05-01-2018, 03:23 PM
Um, well yeah. The whole point of hyper armour is to prevent you from being interrupted by an attack. The Glad's skewer is registered as an attack and not a grab thus it does not bypass hyper armour. This game is centred around rock, paper, scissors. Hyper armour bypasses attacks and CC stun/bash moves. Guard breaks and double lights bypass hyper armour.

I understand that Shugoki is not supposed to be interrupted by attacks, yet he is supposed to take the damage of an attack that is still absorbed by hyperarmor. My problem is that the very high bleed damage of a skewer is completely blocked in all regards by hyperarmor, which means that the Shugoki did not even parry or dodge the skewer and still went completely unharmed.

Vakris_One
05-01-2018, 03:25 PM
It doesn't land through the hyperarmor because the hyperarmor is meant to absorb any kind of CC, which includes regular bashes, Glad's skewer, and Highlander and Shaman's grabs even.
That sounds about right for what hyper armour is meant to do.

Vakris_One
05-01-2018, 03:30 PM
I understand that Shugoki is not supposed to be interrupted by attacks, yet he is supposed to take the damage of an attack that is still absorbed by hyperarmor. My problem is that the very high bleed damage of a skewer is completely blocked in all regards by hyperarmor, which means that the Shugoki did not even parry or dodge the skewer and still went completely unharmed.
Isn't that because the skewer doesn't actually land due to his hyper armour? As for no damage being sustained from a bleed attack; the same effect happens with Warden's anti-bleed feat. He suffers no damage from bleed attacks even though attacks such as Glad's skewer and PK's stabs do physically land on him.

SphericalChip53
05-01-2018, 03:51 PM
Isn't that because the skewer doesn't actually land due to his hyper armour? As for no damage being sustained from a bleed attack; the same effect happens with Warden's anti-bleed feat. He suffers no damage from bleed attacks even though attacks such as Glad's skewer and PK's stabs do physically land on him.

I understand no bleed damage applies because the hyperarmor blocks the pin, I just think it's stupid that the skewer is MEANT to be punishing in the amount of bleed damage it can do if the opponent fails to dodge or parry, yet the Shugoki doesn't have to do either. Its like a Raider throwing out a zone against a Shugoki and he just stands there and doesn't take any damage.

Vakris_One
05-01-2018, 04:24 PM
I understand no bleed damage applies because the hyperarmor blocks the pin, I just think it's stupid that the skewer is MEANT to be punishing in the amount of bleed damage it can do if the opponent fails to dodge or parry, yet the Shugoki doesn't have to do either. Its like a Raider throwing out a zone against a Shugoki and he just stands there and doesn't take any damage.
It's not quite the same thing. The Glad's skewer is designed to inflict massive bleed whereas the Raider zone is designed to do a ton of upfront damage. In FPS terms, one is designed to do high alpha damage in one big hit (Raider zone) and one is designed to do damage over time so you can reposition while your opponent loses health.

The Glad has a hell of a lot of other tools to use especially against a slow character like Shugo, I would ask why you are even trying to start off with a skewer on a Shugoki? I mean you're saying it like Shugo is immune to bleed period when that is not the case. Drop his hyper armour first and then go for skewer and there you have it. Gladiator is one of the best characters in the game whereas Shugo is one of the worst, I don't think it's right to complain about not getting off a certain move on Shugo just because you actually have to work that move in as apposed to "press button = get bleed".

TSCDescon
05-01-2018, 06:35 PM
Sounds like a cry out for Shugoki nerf. Iíve been away for 2 seasons and now this? Did I miss something while I was gone?

Knight_Raime
05-01-2018, 06:37 PM
I'd be fine with thicc boi's armor being the BS that it was if he didn't have it passively. Makes him in my opinion the most annoying hero to fight. Especially if the person plays passively. Hopefully when they get around to him it's no longer a passive.

TSCDescon
05-01-2018, 07:50 PM
I'd be fine with thicc boi's armor being the BS that it was if he didn't have it passively. Makes him in my opinion the most annoying hero to fight. Especially if the person plays passively. Hopefully when they get around to him it's no longer a passive.

At this point I donít really care what they do to him lol. I hardly play the game as it is. I just come here to check whatís going on.

Knight_Raime
05-01-2018, 08:12 PM
At this point I don’t really care what they do to him lol. I hardly play the game as it is. I just come here to check what’s going on.

Personally this is what i'd like to see done to him. I still personally wouldn't play him. But he'd be better and more fun to interact with imo:

~No longer has passive armor.
~Goki takes reduced damage from neutral attacks but takes standard damage from comboed moves.
~Goki now has armor on Heavy attacks.
~Takes less time for goki to charge a heavy to unblockable state.
~Demons embrace now has a set damage and health return. No longer one hits. Gives him passive armor on landing it. And no health penalty if he misses. (old armor works as it did before. meaning it can take one hit and not stun him. will have to land another DE to get it back.)
~Demon ball can now knock down someone and ledge someone if they're OOS.

SphericalChip53
05-01-2018, 10:04 PM
It's not quite the same thing. The Glad's skewer is designed to inflict massive bleed whereas the Raider zone is designed to do a ton of upfront damage. In FPS terms, one is designed to do high alpha damage in one big hit (Raider zone) and one is designed to do damage over time so you can reposition while your opponent loses health.

The Glad has a hell of a lot of other tools to use especially against a slow character like Shugo, I would ask why you are even trying to start off with a skewer on a Shugoki? I mean you're saying it like Shugo is immune to bleed period when that is not the case. Drop his hyper armour first and then go for skewer and there you have it. Gladiator is one of the best characters in the game whereas Shugo is one of the worst, I don't think it's right to complain about not getting off a certain move on Shugo just because you actually have to work that move in as apposed to "press button = get bleed".

I don't understand your point about the skewer being better than Raider's zone? The zone is better in almost every aspect: it has a very tight side dodge window, it can be chained after a stun or special throws to make it hard to parry, it hits everyone in front of the Raider, and it deals all of its damage at once. In contrast the skewer hits only one target, is very easy to side dodge, always gives ample time to parry, puts Glad in an animation wherein he can be hit by a heavy and prevented from dealing out the full bleed damage, and the bleed damage allows the opponent time to still fight back and find healing. I don't know what you're trying to say about the Glad repositioning, it doesn't matter. Raider can reposition too after all the damage is dealt. So why logically should Shugoki's hyper armor negate all damage from skewer if it's so easy to avoid in comparison to Raider's zone?

And stop trying to derail to the rest of Glad's kit. My Glad is rep 11, I am fully aware of his kit and I know how to fight Shugokis. I'm just complaining about a specific move interaction that has always bugged me.

Vakris_One
05-01-2018, 10:25 PM
I don't understand your point about the skewer being better than Raider's zone? The zone is better in almost every aspect: it has a very tight side dodge window, it can be chained after a stun or special throws to make it hard to parry, it hits everyone in front of the Raider, and it deals all of its damage at once. In contrast the skewer hits only one target, is very easy to side dodge, always gives ample time to parry, puts Glad in an animation wherein he can be hit by a heavy and prevented from dealing out the full bleed damage, and the bleed damage allows the opponent time to still fight back and find healing. I don't know what you're trying to say about the Glad repositioning, it doesn't matter. Raider can reposition too after all the damage is dealt. So why logically should Shugoki's hyper armor negate all damage from skewer if it's so easy to avoid in comparison to Raider's zone?

And stop trying to derail to the rest of Glad's kit. My Glad is rep 11, I am fully aware of his kit and I know how to fight Shugokis. I'm just complaining about a specific move interaction that has always bugged me.
Calm down. I never said one was better than the other, I just tried to explain to you that they are two different types of moves that aren't really up for comparison to one another since they do different jobs. If you want to compare Raider's zone with something in Glad's kit then compare it with Glad's zone at least. You saying the Raider's zone is better in every aspect than Gladiator's skewer means pretty much nothing since Raider's zone is used as a mix up tool and he burns a ton of stamina for it whereas Glad's skewer is used as part of a combo and he doesn't expend a ton of stamina for it. Two different moves with two relatively different uses in a fight even though both can be used for mind games. And the Gladiator has more tools than the Raider so yes, the Glad's kit is relevant to the point I was making but yeah sure, call it derailing because you didn't get the point, good job.

Let's cut to the chase. At the end of the day you are complaining that you don't get to skewer the Shugoki without first having to lower his hyper armour. To which I might as well cut all the niceties out and ask, exactly how lazy are you to not want to deal with Shugo's hyper armour before trying to use skewer instead of complaining that his hyper armour bypasses your skewer? I mean seriously man, as a Gladiator you got the tools to beat Shugoki without ever even needing to use skewer so I really don't see your problem. You cannot use one move out of roughly 10 choices? against a particular character... that's not exactly a shocking revelation or game breaking.

Xinlyfenne
05-01-2018, 11:32 PM
It is intended that Highlander cannot Caber Toss through Shugoki's stance.

Hyper Armour ignores normal attacks; Super Armour ignores normal and melee attacks.

Shugoki has Super Armour. While he can ignore melee attacks, he also takes 25% more damage when it's gone. He has a double edged sword.

Highlander also has the closest thing to a 50/50 right now with the Caber Toss soft feint. Making it more effective by nerfing Shugoki isn't a great idea when Shugoki is low tier as is.

Mighty_Mackerel
05-02-2018, 03:53 AM
I'm sorry but I just cannot understand how anyone can think that the Aramusha needs a buff, his feint game is one of the best kits in the game, he has an unblockable that can be canceled, lights as fast as a PK zone, hyper armor and a sprint attack thst can be canceled unless I'm mistaken. Shugoki if played competently almost completely controls the battle as he can do whatever he wants without having to worry too much thanks to a combination of super hyper armor mixed with guard breaks, feints, headbutts, unblockables, a charge attack and demon's embrace insta kill. To avoid this, you practically have to constantly guard break, and competent Shugoki knows that and therefore knows what to do against that because it's so predictable. This is what I meant by "imbalanced" on the Shugoki's part, if you take away the hyper armor he is utter trash, but keep the hyper armor that eats every form of attack and the battle is practically a stale-mate. That's why I said that I understand that Shugoki is in a tough spot right now in the title if people would pay attention... I would agree, believe it or not, that yes, Shugoki does indeed need a buff so that he isn't such a one trick pony. My post was not a call for a Shugoki nerf, it was meant to prove that Shugoki really is so bad that he has to rely on a silly mechanic that doesn't really make sense (in regards to negating a grab) just to have an advantage. Maybe I worded myself wrong, my bad.

Xinlyfenne
05-02-2018, 05:07 AM
I'm sorry but I just cannot understand how anyone can think that the Aramusha needs a buff, his feint game is one of the best kits in the game,

Against a competent player? No, his feints are useless as they do not force a reaction other than block.

he has an unblockable that can be canceled,

Virtually all unblockables can be cancelled. That's standard.

lights as fast as a PK zone,

Not out of neutral. That is a big part. He can only go 400ms on a follow up, which can only come from one direction if he landed a side light previously. Against a competent player, they will block up and negate his light chain.

hyper armor

On literally one move, his dash forward. Extremely easy to parry.

sprint attack thst can be canceled unless I'm mistaken.

He cannot cancel his sprint attack.

I'm sorry but I just cannot understand how anyone can think that the Aramusha needs a buff,

To players with slower reactions, yes, Aramusha is a monster because he can light spam them to death. But he has no real openers. Any competent player can react to his entire kit; therefore Aramusha remains low tier.

Shugoki if played competently almost completely controls the battle as he can do whatever he wants without having to worry too much thanks to a combination of super hyper armor mixed with guard breaks, feints, headbutts, unblockables, a charge attack and demon's embrace insta kill.

That contradicts your statement below-

My post was not a call for a Shugoki nerf, it was meant to prove that Shugoki really is so bad that he has to rely on a silly mechanic that doesn't really make sense (in regards to negating a grab) just to have an advantage

You say he doesn't need a nerf, yet you say he completely controls the battle, does whatever he wants.

I would agree, believe it or not, that yes, Shugoki does indeed need a buff so that he isn't such a one trick pony. .

He is such a one trick pony that he has "a combination of super hyper armor mixed with guard breaks, feints, headbutts, unblockables, a charge attack and demon's embrace insta kill."? You're back pedaling; but didn't re-read your first post beforehand.

To avoid this, you practically have to constantly guard break, and competent Shugoki knows that and therefore knows what to do against that because it's so predictable.

Nowhere near as predictable as the Shugoki's entire moveset. He gets his armour back in 5 seconds, that's plenty of time to do something. And don't guardbreak right when he gets his armour back. Clearly, that is predictable.

This is what I meant by "imbalanced" on the Shugoki's part, if you take away the hyper armor he is utter trash, but keep the hyper armor that eats every form of attack and the battle is practically a stale-mate. That's why I said that I understand that Shugoki is in a tough spot right now in the title if people would pay attention... I would agree, believe it or not, that yes, Shugoki does indeed need a buff so that he isn't such a one trick pony. My post was not a call for a Shugoki nerf, it was meant to prove that Shugoki really is so bad that he has to rely on a silly mechanic that doesn't really make sense (in regards to negating a grab) just to have an advantage. Maybe I worded myself wrong, my bad.

Read what you wrote-

Thoughts?

Your post is not about "it was meant to prove that Shugoki really is so bad that he has to rely on a silly mechanic that doesn't really make sense (in regards to negating a grab) just to have an advantage." It is about Highlander's ability to land a grab on Shugoki, and you thought/think it was/is dumb that Highlander couldn't grab through the armour.

You can't change your narrative when your first post is still there and everyone can see the context.

Dane520123
05-02-2018, 01:29 PM
Against a competent player? No, his feints are useless as they do not force a reaction other than block.

Not out of neutral. That is a big part. He can only go 400ms on a follow up, which can only come from one direction if he landed a side light previously. Against a competent player, they will block up and negate his light chain.

To players with slower reactions, yes, Aramusha is a monster because he can light spam them to death. But he has no real openers. Any competent player can react to his entire kit; therefore Aramusha remains low tier.

That contradicts your statement below-

You say he doesn't need a nerf, yet you say he completely controls the battle, does whatever he wants.

He is such a one trick pony that he has "a combination of super hyper armor mixed with guard breaks, feints, headbutts, unblockables, a charge attack and demon's embrace insta kill."? You're back pedaling; but didn't re-read your first post beforehand.

Nowhere near as predictable as the Shugoki's entire moveset. He gets his armour back in 5 seconds, that's plenty of time to do something. And don't guardbreak right when he gets his armour back. Clearly, that is predictable.

Read what you wrote-

Your post is not about "it was meant to prove that Shugoki really is so bad that he has to rely on a silly mechanic that doesn't really make sense (in regards to negating a grab) just to have an advantage." It is about Highlander's ability to land a grab on Shugoki, and you thought/think it was/is dumb that Highlander couldn't grab through the armour.

You can't change your narrative when your first post is still there and everyone can see the context.

I love seeing dumb people like this guy get put out by people like KZU who actually know wtf theyíre talking about lol. I hate shugoki heís annoying, but I donít think heís op what so ever. Now makerel go be a big boy and sit down.

Mighty_Mackerel
05-04-2018, 08:55 AM
KZU.XinliFennu, I have to quote you a little bit out of order here in order to make my point, so bear with me if you will. Let's do this.

First off, I did not say he completely controls the battle, I said he ALMOST completely controls the battle, (I don't think that fact holds much weight here though, but I just wanted to make that clear) and I believe I've made myself unclear once again and that is my bad. So let me correct myself: yes, a Shugoki almost completely controls the battle so long as his hyper armor remains intact. Take the hyper armor away, and he is no longer in control as he is now open to attacks and being interrupted. I apologize for not saying that in the first place and therefore yeah, I admittedly contradicted myself.

Yes, a Shugoki has all of those tools at his disposal only if his hyper armor permits. Read what I said again, "a combination of super hyper armor mixed with guard breaks, feints, headbutts, unblockables, a charge attack and demon's embrace insta kill." The keyword here is COMBINATION. A Shugoki must first have his hyper armor intact before he can do anything else because his kit is designed to work in combination with his hyper armor. If his hyper armor isn't up then all of his mix-ups become extremely risky and all of his tools would be lucky to land him a hit on his opponent if they're not rushing him at that point. So it's either risk attacking or running away until the hyper armor is back up. He has to rely on ONE mechanic so the rest of his entire kit can work first, that seems like a one trick pony to me. And seeing as a Shugoki Hyper armor is so easily disposed of with one guard break, then that is what everyone will always be wanting to do over and over again before they can do anything else to level the playing field because we all know now that the Shugoki's hyper armor eats all forms of attacks and trading attacks with a Shugoki with his hyper armor still up is suicide... and forcing someone to rely on ONE mechanic (guard break) over and over again because it is the easiest most surefire way to ensure that the rest of their kit will work against an opponent, again, that seems like a one trick pony to me. Finally, that is also what I meant by Shugoki being imbalanced, whether it's to his own or his opponent's advantage or disadvantage, one mechanic (super hyper armor) entirely dictating an entire kit being completely useless or super effective is the most tipped metaphorical scale I've ever seen. I think people misinterpreted "imbalanced" as "overpowered" which is why I seemed contradictory when I said that I would agree that the Shugoki needs a buff. So it looks liek I was unclear again, my bad.

Fair enough, you got me on that one.

Yes it was, in the very beginning I made Shugoki the main subject as the first thing I said in the title was, "Shugoki's in a tough spot right now, yes, but.." Highlander is secondary. I was IMPLYING that the Shugoki and his hyper armor was the topic at hand simply through the Highlander scenario. That's why I also inquired about Shugoki's hyper armor faring against other characters as well, specifically stating, "am I just unaware that Shugoki hyper armor negates all forms of grabs from other characters as well?" It was never solely about "Highlander's ability to land a grab on Shugoki" and although that was indeed part of my point, it was not the main point. (As for my statement about Highlander getting the shaft, that was sort of meant to be a joke. But that was also unclear and obviously it fell flat) HOWEVER... I can see why the Highlander's inability to grab the Shugoki upsetting me would've been assumed as the main point here... My mistake from the get-go was relying on my implication to be caught. I should've just been straight forward from the very beginning and therefore avoid cause all this confusion. So again, my bad.

As for the Aramusha...

I wasn't thinking when I said that one, so yeah, you're right.

I know, I didn't mean that as in the Aramusha's the only character in the game who has that ability, I meant that as in he has that as a tool to open up opponents just like everyone else has that ability as "unblockable cancels" are the bread and butter for opening up opponents in this game. BUT... it only activates after the first strike from the right and if that gets parried he's screwed, so it's not a very good unblockable cancel so I'll give you that.

Alright, fair enough.

It can be canceled though, so another feint tactic. But up until now I thought he had hyper armor on all three directions of his dash attack, so yeah I'll give you that one as well, if they're gonna give him hyper armor he needs it on more than just one predictable move.

I confused his sprint attack for his dash attack, so looks I was mistaken after all.

Alright, you officially changed my mind about Aramusha, he does need a buff. I simply thought he was great because all footage that I have seen of Aramusha have been players destroying as him and every good Aramusha player that I've ever been up against have always put up a close fight. Plus... I was also sort of just trying to get under the skin of the first guy who commented on my thread who was just being a ****, so I made a comment that I didn't have much knowledge on.

Mighty_Mackerel
05-04-2018, 09:00 AM
I love seeing dumb people like this guy get put out by people like KZU who actually know wtf they’re talking about lol. I hate shugoki he’s annoying, but I don’t think he’s op what so ever. Now makerel go be a big boy and sit down.

It's people like KZU that I will actually hear out and listen to because they're smart and are willing to have a conversation. It's the reason why I asked for people's thoughts on the subject at the end of my original post so people like KZU can respond and tell me why I am wrong and call me out when I am admittedly making arguments that are stupid or don't make sense. You on the other hand have brought nothing to this topic and are therefore useless. (And I never said Shugoki was op so I don't care if you dont think he's op either) Now excuse me, the big boys are talking.