PDA

View Full Version : Flyable Raiden!! but that bullet proof glass is wrong...

Saburo_0
12-24-2004, 08:06 AM
I'm very happy to be getting the J2M3 , but the bullet prof glas is supposed to be clear.
Some pictures I've seen of the Chino J2M3 do indeed show it yellowed, but I think that's due to age.
I have a poster that 's a photo of the Planes of Fame Raiden cockpit after restoration & the glass is perfectly clear.
Poster cam ein the Rekishi gunzou
taiheiyousenshi shiri-zu (series)
Vol. 29 Kyokuchi sentoki Raiden
-publisher is Gakken
ISBN4-05-602378-6
i can get the publishers adress if anyone wants it .

Saburo_0
12-24-2004, 08:06 AM
I'm very happy to be getting the J2M3 , but the bullet prof glas is supposed to be clear.
Some pictures I've seen of the Chino J2M3 do indeed show it yellowed, but I think that's due to age.
I have a poster that 's a photo of the Planes of Fame Raiden cockpit after restoration & the glass is perfectly clear.
Poster cam ein the Rekishi gunzou
taiheiyousenshi shiri-zu (series)
Vol. 29 Kyokuchi sentoki Raiden
-publisher is Gakken
ISBN4-05-602378-6
i can get the publishers adress if anyone wants it .

RocketDog
12-24-2004, 08:34 AM
Yep - I am worried by that screenshot too. Given the snafu over the Hellcat windows, it would be nice to get this sorted out before it gets stuck in the game forever.

Regards,

RocketDog.

Stiglr
12-24-2004, 08:46 AM
Indeed. Everything else looks really nice with that Jack, but if the modeler really thinks the glass was that bad...

That Pfeil and Curtiss Wright look pretty good, too!

JaggedRaven
12-24-2004, 09:56 AM
Maybe it was glazed yellow to reduce sun glare...kinda like the green B-25 upper cockpit windows on some models? *shrug*

ZG77_Nagual
12-24-2004, 10:10 AM
The Raiden was a purpose-built interceptor - I figured the glass was tinted for those long climbs. Regardless though - if you have info to the contrary be sure and email Oleg. I'm looking forward to a flyable j2m3 - it'll make flying on the Japanese side much more interesting http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

LeadSpitter_
12-24-2004, 10:19 AM
I only seen one photo of the front glass and it shows its tinted yellow just like the modeler made.

the p47 p-51 p-38 etc did not have tinted glass until later models in korea but they are tinted in here same with the p40b hawk81 front glass.

Look at the j-aircraft site

RocketDog
12-24-2004, 10:27 AM
The museum one certainly has a yellowish tint. I guess the question is whether that is caused by aging or whether it was like that originally.

Regards,

RocketDog.

Stiglr
12-24-2004, 12:53 PM
Look; NO aircraft designer ever put anything in its aircraft to DECREASE visibility (not anything of glass or plexiglass,anyway).

It might happen with frosting and effects like that at altitude, but this sim doesn't model those type of atomospheric phenomenon (nor do any others). Or, if the glass were hit by gunfire, the effect might be really detrimental. But not in "standard working order".

There is NO excuse for yellowing up or dirtying up glass to the detriment of visibility.

ElAurens
12-24-2004, 01:13 PM
I must agree with Stiglr. So called "bullet proof" or armored glass deteriorates over time. To be effective it needs to be replaced at periodic intervals. The yellow cast to the glass plate in the Raiden is showing the effects of 60 years of aging. Even the best "plexiglass" or "perspex" used in WW2 would not be usable today due to chemical changes over time. It should not be allowed to remain this way.

A.K.Davis
12-24-2004, 01:18 PM
The glass plate on the Chino J2M has clearly undergone significant aging (and it is probably the plastic layers which have become discolored, not the glass).

But this is from Oleg regarding the issue:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> It is just show the glass in tools. Its not in engine. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Feathered_IV
12-24-2004, 05:03 PM
I'm very happy about a flyable Raiden but I'm not sure about the cockpit colour. As I understand it, by late war the 'aotake' blue colour was no longer used by Mitsubishi in their interceptors. Instead they were finished in green as seen in the A6M.

http://mypage.bluewin.ch/a-z/kimura-hei/Image29.jpeg

I agree about the armoured glass too. On this other shot posted at Netwings you can see the deterioration very clearly.

http://mypage.bluewin.ch/a-z/kimura-hei/Image24.jpeg

Jason Bourne
12-24-2004, 05:06 PM
well, if you guys would head over to net wings, you would see that it is NOT going to be yellow in the release, but it is yellow because it is still being coded. (I think). any way, worry no more

ElAurens
12-24-2004, 05:41 PM
Excellent.

A dedicated BnZ aircraft for the Empire.

Domo Arrigato.

Saburo_0
12-24-2004, 05:45 PM
Well good to hear the glass is yelloe because of coding.

The yellowed pics of the Chino J2m are inthe book too -just the same as the ones above taken before restoration. Along with the book came a fold out photo poster pic after restoration-all gauges replaced etc. & not even the edges show any yellow.
I'll try to scan it next week.
Gotta start on the trek to the folks house for Xmas soon.
Thanks for the Christmas present to whoever did the cockpit!!
She'll be a blast to fly!

Flydutch
12-24-2004, 07:06 PM
I am sorry to Inform you guys that The Armoured glass Should have slighty tinted color at least!

If Glass has the many layers needed to become bullet proof it does looks tinted just like water becomes more coloured by the volume (Like filling a bathtub it starts out clear and then becomes more blue or green)

All armoured windscreens should be tinted, not yellow I agree, this is the aging of the gleu that puts the layers togheter infected by sunlight
But slightly tinted like the ME 163 looks very authentic!

Remeber Armoured glass gives better visiblity then Metal armour plates!
Just A shame it doesn't seem to protect A player in this sim, you get shot trough as if in a open cockpit

Troll2k
12-25-2004, 01:38 AM
I have seen people that shoot as a hobby/profession(skeet,trap,target)wear yellow colored glasses.

It was my understanding that these blocked a portion of the suns light(specific frequency) thus giving a sharper and clearer image of the target.

Maybe the Japanese were ahead of their time.