PDA

View Full Version : Credit for Damaged Ships

Brad-M
03-31-2006, 07:27 PM
I might be a rookie, but I am into patrol 12 and have amassed 125k so far, but would have much more if I was to receive credit for damaged ships. I have attempted to sink 2 passenger liners and have only damaged them. 3 torps into them and only wounded them. Also, one thing I have discovered is if you attack at sunset, and attack with the sun at your back, you can get fairly close on the surface before having to pull the plug. I got within 2000 meters of a destroyer before I had to submerge.

Thanks

Brad

Aka Akula

Brad-M
03-31-2006, 07:27 PM
I might be a rookie, but I am into patrol 12 and have amassed 125k so far, but would have much more if I was to receive credit for damaged ships. I have attempted to sink 2 passenger liners and have only damaged them. 3 torps into them and only wounded them. Also, one thing I have discovered is if you attack at sunset, and attack with the sun at your back, you can get fairly close on the surface before having to pull the plug. I got within 2000 meters of a destroyer before I had to submerge.

Thanks

Brad

Aka Akula

Kaleun1961
03-31-2006, 08:14 PM
The game does not give any credit for damaged ships. You only get credit if your action causes the ship to sink. This is hard-coded into the game so there's nothing that can be done about it. Because of this, I try to make certain that I sink what I attack. Although it has never happened to me, other players have reported damaging a ship which is then finished off by a Luftwaffe strike. Again, no credit given.

lecek
03-31-2006, 10:10 PM
The game does not take direction of the sun into acount.

When it starts getting dark you can start getting closer. Wave hight makes a difference as well. So does your speed and visibility.

Foehammer-1
04-01-2006, 06:54 AM
The remedy: if you use auto targetting, aim roughly for engine room in unmodded game (won't

work as well with Grey Wolves). If you hit a ship there it should either sink or slow down/

stop. If you manage to stop several high-value targets, wait for the convoy to pass and DO NOT

call for air strike!! Otherwise the planes WILL finish off the damaged ships, so basically

you did all that work for nothing. I recommend finishing those ships off, then surfacing and

going ahead Full in front of a convoy again. Good luck!

Brad-M
04-01-2006, 10:02 AM
Thanks for the info. How does a submarine call for an air strike???

Brad

Brad-M
04-01-2006, 10:18 AM
Never mind, I found out how an air strike comes.

Brad

NAM1974
04-01-2006, 06:13 PM
How do you call for an air strike?

Robards
04-02-2006, 02:50 AM
you wantt credut fir a damaged? HOW much? you thinkr you can gi iyout and bang away wiht a few toorps and get glory???? HA///// get dunk and come with mee

horrgakx
04-02-2006, 04:29 AM
Somebody is drunk http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Hoatee
04-02-2006, 06:16 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by horrgakx:
Somebody is drunk http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's more accurate to describe him as being 'pissed'.

NAM1974
04-02-2006, 09:57 AM
how could you call for an air strike?

Kaleun1961
04-02-2006, 11:11 AM
I think the procedure is to call in a contact report to HQ. If air support is available it will be sent. The odds of it coming are dependant on the year and the location. Distance from a Luftwaffe base plays a factor. So, much more likely closer to France or Norway. Impossible far out in the Atlantic.

T-III
04-02-2006, 06:49 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by lecek:
The game does not take direction of the sun into acount.

When it starts getting dark you can start getting closer. Wave hight makes a difference as well. So does your speed and visibility. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

So the position of the sun in the sky doesn't have an effect on how quickly enemys spot you?
(ex., if the sun is behind you it wont make you more visible?)

panthercules
04-03-2006, 07:41 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by T-III:
So the position of the sun in the sky doesn't have an effect on how quickly enemys spot you?
(ex., if the sun is behind you it wont make you more visible?) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Actually, according to the U-boat Commander's Handbook (para.100(a)) it was considered a favorable position to be attacking with the sun behind you - makes you harder to see, not easier - just like the "Hun in the Sun" in air combat http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

However, I have not actually made any tests to determine whether the game models either the sun or the moon positions into its sighting routines, although I have seen posts from others saying that it does not. I don't know whether they have any data to back that up or not.