PDA

View Full Version : Lootbox banned in belgium

WiwarK9
04-26-2018, 08:25 AM
https://www.oneangrygamer.net/2018/04/belgium-commission-labels-fifa-overwatch-loot-boxes-illegal-e1-6-million-fines-inbound/57187/

Can we hope we will not see them in bge2, i woulf prefer a system of microtransaction like warframe if there must be one.

bananenslip
04-26-2018, 09:02 PM
Lootboxes are ok but only if it dont gives you more power. Some skinns or unice objects for your own room are ok.
but if it drops some super strong wapons or undestroyable ships, it will be stupid and this is the reason why belgium made it a crime.
so we can hope that ubi will make it smart and not needet to be one of the best.

Legion-495
04-27-2018, 09:44 AM
https://www.oneangrygamer.net/2018/04/belgium-commission-labels-fifa-overwatch-loot-boxes-illegal-e1-6-million-fines-inbound/57187/

Can we hope we will not see them in bge2, i woulf prefer a system of microtransaction like warframe if there must be one.

Or like no such system at all. Only real expansions! Like Witcher 3 and Witcher 3 sold good.
Heck Overwatch isn't a singleplayer nor is Fifa. The comparison is not legit.
And Warframe is Free2Play. (I play Warframe)

You can compare AC:O with their currency (is it called Helix?) and that system seems very bad to me.
But it is not very present. But I am annoyed by the existence of it. At least it is very hidden.

Nothing with a extra premium is okay. Maybe the game will be like what 10€$ more expensive BUT we get it all and probably option to buy a season pass for later expansions. Everything is better than being confronted with premium stuff later in the game.

I know unbelieveable. I buy what I will get and no hidden tax. Sorry I always get salty if someone says that anything like that is okay. Heck it is not.
Overwatch is a cashcow much like WoW. Warframe literally survives on that cash, but it is free.
Mind you Blizzard owns other Publishers so they don't have such a clean record as one would think.
And I have little to no doubt AC:O did fine without the premium currency.

The probably only reason such things exist is because there are ongoing payments (much like YT monies from a older video). People who are attached to the games, but also people that have issues with their money balance in the first place might ruin themselfs. I have no doubt such systems literally ruin people, because there are some people with issues related to shopping.
It hits such people. That is not unknown. It is few individuals who make up all that money from microtransactions and lootboxes. So it literally abuses the persons issues here!
Keep that in mind if you say a lootbox is okay. (even cosmetics)

Sorry for my little rant. But damn. People need to know such things!

ElPrimordial
04-27-2018, 07:42 PM
I really wish one could get every single item by playing the game, like in the old times. For lazy/spendthrift people, Ubi could add the option to buy cosmetic stuff with real money.
I just hope any element that give advantage to one player over the rest (or change drastically the experience in-game), can't be buy it but earn it by playing the game.

Legion-495
04-28-2018, 06:45 PM
I really wish one could get every single item by playing the game, like in the old times. For lazy/spendthrift people, Ubi could add the option to buy cosmetic stuff with real money.
I just hope any element that give advantage to one player over the rest (or change drastically the experience in-game), can't be buy it but earn it by playing the game.

Well I would argue that even cosmetics have a better experience effect.
The reason why I say this because Multiplayer exists here. You show off how much cooler it is compared to your friends.

They should just add cosmetic stuff for ingame money. FullStop.
Ingame items should be bound to ingame currency. Is that so much to ask for?
Everyone should need to put the same effort into the game to get a item/clothing/ship, anything.
Buying stuff and skipping this cycle is just like a Free2Play game and if they do this they might as well make it Free2Play in the first place.
BotW and Witcher 3 are the types games (financially) we should aim for.

If you are asked the logical thing would be that you will only support a full content game.
I don't get why people would accept Lootboxes and or Microtransactions if they are asked about it.
That is how far we are... I think I am too much into classic games. I bet mobile games caused all this.
I want the perfect game here. And that contains all the content on initial payment.
As always I am fine if they throw a seasonpass for everything that will come after release date.

I bet this are the reasons Indiegames are taking off so extreme. Ubisoft has been a mixed bag on that topic. They have many games with extra payment stuff and then they also got tons of smaller games without anything of that...
At this point we can only hope. Ubisoft is after all in the money making business and Lootboxes/Microtransactions are not a small fraction of cash.
I wonder if my screaming is anything worth in that decision.

However I would be sad if BGE2 would actually use such a system. You can bet it will not be the best game for me if that exists. I will always be on the "no realworld currency payments in the game" side of things.

ElPrimordial
04-28-2018, 08:25 PM
Yeah, I understand that cosmetic stuff to show off could change somehow our personal gameplay experience but I'm referring to attack/defense/movement booster: godly weapons that break the balance completely, all-powerful armors that give you an utter unfair advantage, items that increase your speed/other attributes to almighty limits, and all these stuff you can buy with cash instead to earn it by playing the game.

I'm not opposed to people who want to expend all their money in the game, that's their business, the deal is when that give them an unfair advantage over the rest and therefore decrease the overall experience of people who didn't expend money of those things.

I also hope that the unavoidable grinding for cosmetic items, or in-game currency, in case one don't want to buy them with cash, it doesn't take extremely long time such as a year, or two, of daily login and grinding for hours and hours.

I sincerely hope they get in our shoes and before implement something in this aspect, they ask themselves:

"If I was a player who bought this game, with my hard earnest money, I would feel that this feature is fair for me?"
"I would feel is worth of my time and effort?"
"I would feel that it gives unfair advantage to a player who bought it with cash?"
"I would feel that its worth it to earn it through exorbitant amount of grinding and time"?

Simple questions that too often, developers and mainly publishers, seems to be to totally forgot to ask themselves.

Of course, I'm not complaining for this with Ancel and BGE 2 team, but Ubisoft is another topic.

Legion-495
04-29-2018, 01:39 PM
I'm not opposed to people who want to expend all their money in the game, that's their business, the deal is when that give them an unfair advantage over the rest and therefore decrease the overall experience of people who didn't expend money of those things.

But this also means you lock content behind a paywall.
Clear that unfair stuff is a no go... and Ubisoft has spoken out against that.
But even cosmetics are at least to me content of a game. They can lock such things behind the Ubisoft Club rewards.
That would be fine by me. Get them through playing their games.

I really would like to know Michels stance on this^^
He does seem like a very nice person and since I know he would have liked to outsource the UbiArt Framework I doubt he would like any such things in BGE2^^
But with this ban chances are getting higher that companies will refuse making games around that. I have to say the only game I know that is heavily developed around lootboxes is Battlefront 2

ElPrimordial
05-01-2018, 09:37 PM
Well, I think this more or less fits here:
http://www.vgchartz.com/article/276101/the-problem-with-the-live-services-model/ (http://www.vgchartz.com/article/276101/the-problem-with-the-live-services-model/)

I really hope that Ancel team create a landmark with BGE2 not just a GTA in space. A game that becomes a reference as the titles listed in previous article, such as original BGE was/is: a game capable to left a perennial mark in the mind, heart and soul of whoever play it.
And a key aspect of that is gonna be the way of how current and future monetization elements will be introduced in-game.
It's understandable that a videogaming company such as Ubisoft, want to make money from their creations, they aren't a charity institution but I wish they also get on our shoes and create a fair system where the client isn't milked to extreme for buying stuff, and whoever have decided not to pay for those things, could be able to earn them, by investing their time in playing the game, also in a fair way that take into account their limited time.
Something similar to how one could unlock a new character in Resident Evil 2: by completing both scenarios with ranking A. Whoever decided not to take this long way, could get it by paying $$$, but whoever decide to do it, well let's not put more obstacles in their way, by making things harder/tougher in order to force them to pay for that feature.

As far as I know Ancel games didn't have any microtransactions or similar things, except maybe mobiles game but I'm not sure how fair or not those are, so this plea is more to Ubisoft than BGE2 team... last rant about this, I promise ;)

WiwarK9
05-02-2018, 10:54 AM
As far as I know Ancel games didn't have any microtransactions or similar things, except maybe mobiles game but I'm not sure how fair or not those are, so this plea is more to Ubisoft than BGE2 team... last rant about this, I promise

Don't mix gameloft and ubisoft one of them is owned by vivendi the other just survived it.

Legion-495
05-02-2018, 12:05 PM
And yes I have said that too somewhere else.
Michel was in games involved which didn't have microtransactions and I think the people at Ubisoft know this damn well.

The simple solution is. He does a Michel Ancel thing and pulls one of the best games ever made out of Montpellier just so it is justified to have no such things even for Ubisofts most greedy persons^^. At least that is what i wish for and hope the dev team is behind this too.

It is quite extreme that all such hopes are someway connected to Michel. I always think the dev team itself gets way to few recognition. In fact I would like to hear how the other guys get into arguments with Michel xD I am quite certain this happens too. I bet there are fun stories to find. Ah it would awesome if they would hide developer comments in the world as secrets.

ElPrimordial
05-03-2018, 04:44 PM
Don't mix gameloft and ubisoft one of them is owned by vivendi the other just survived it.

I was referring to modern smartphone games, not those games for symbian OS. Also the takeover of Gameloft didn't happen until 2015 when Ubisoft already published a lot of Rayman games for mobiles.