PDA

View Full Version : Oleg, Don`t let CFS3 have something better!

SeaFireLIV
11-09-2004, 11:02 AM
One thing that impressed me with CFS3 was that when ships sank there would be a great pool of black oil about the ship as it sank, remaining after it had sunk. It was one of CFS3`s few impressive points. It`s impressive visually and let`s a pilot know pretty early that a ship`s going down.

A few dinghies or sailors in the water (using pilot models ) during or after a sinking would be impressive.

I don`t expect we`ll get this in the Offline Campaigns, but it would be nice if when ships are sunk we had this effect. Indeed it would be.

Oh yes.

SeaFireLIV
11-09-2004, 11:02 AM
One thing that impressed me with CFS3 was that when ships sank there would be a great pool of black oil about the ship as it sank, remaining after it had sunk. It was one of CFS3`s few impressive points. It`s impressive visually and let`s a pilot know pretty early that a ship`s going down.

A few dinghies or sailors in the water (using pilot models ) during or after a sinking would be impressive.

I don`t expect we`ll get this in the Offline Campaigns, but it would be nice if when ships are sunk we had this effect. Indeed it would be.

Oh yes.

Extreme_One
11-09-2004, 11:19 AM
This gets my vote.

Hans_Philipp
11-09-2004, 11:23 AM
There is a whole score of AMAZING graphical addons by mods like Wings of Power, FirePower (I think that's the other's name) that should keep the 1C team busy when it comes to raising the bar in graphical effects. But that's not where priorities lie IMO at the moment.
*cough*terrain*cough*

Of course your mod shouldn't require much time as compared to others...

SeaFireLIV
11-09-2004, 11:36 AM
The way i see it we have plaenty of `armchair experts` on perfect flight models who are happy and possibly knowledgeable enough to go on to Oleg about it forever.

But while that is of course important, it can start to make the IL2 series become somewhat Sterile, like a perfect laboratory where aircraft fly perfectly, but where`s the Human element? The randomness, the LITTLE things? This is what attracted me to IL2 things like the wailing of Sirens, even just AI fighter pilots stalling without actually being hit (due to simulated fear/mistakes) in WWII it wasn`t JUST the machines, but the Man, the soul! It`s one of the reasons I asked for the ESCAPE feature - because the Human element was being forgotten....

I, and others here are trying to provide some Soul... http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

SeaFireLIV
11-09-2004, 11:37 AM
**** double post.. ah well, maybe Oleg will noticed it even more!

tHeBaLrOgRoCkS
11-09-2004, 11:52 AM
Now thats what we need less dm/fm whining and more aesthetics I personaly would like a flower holder in my spit-pit hehehe

Seriously, nice idea Seafire and a refreshing change http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

NorrisMcWhirter
11-09-2004, 03:56 PM
hi,

good point. I thought about posting this oil slick thing the other day but, instead, ended up in an 'interchange' with the maestro himself. I was going to suggest that ships took evasive action when attacked, too, but I suppose you can do this with the FMB.

Something else which crossed my mind during a low level night attack co-op was to have 'observation points' on maps where troop formations or special units can report aircraft positions; e.g. on that misison, it would have been interesting to have coastal patrol boats which could pretend to have reported aircraft spotted by vectoring AI/humans on an intercept.

Maybe the observations could manifest themselves as your tower giving you 'n aircraft spotted in grid ref ####; estimated altitude ###' type messages?

Cheers,
Norris

LEXX_Luthor
11-09-2004, 07:30 PM
Don't forget the Aussum Coast Watchers and Billions of Chinese ground observers with telephone lines. Maybe for BoB and Beyond.

Ship Zig~Zagg waypoints on each kilometer map grid intersection works great -- of course only for ships moving east, west, north, or south. For 45 degree motion, the zig~zags would be 1.41km between each point

Bearcat99
11-09-2004, 09:15 PM
That is a good idea. It wouldnt be a bad idea for planes too.. but for planes it could be more random. Id also like to see the pilots face in the raft... not the generic one that sits in the raft. I have my own face with shades on as my pilot...... when I am falling its me.. when the raft pops out I cange.. must be the sharks... LOL.. seriously thoug.. good idea. One thing I did noticd that happened to us online.. our planes were on the carrier deck wings folded and chocked.. when the ship turned we slid off the side into the ocean. When I sent an email to the bug line Oleg told me that that was no bug... if the turn angle of the ship is too tight and it is moving too fast the G forces will make the planes slide right off the deck. I just said to myself.... Wow..... Not only did he respond within 5 or 6 hours.. but the fact that this is no bug.. its a part of the code... something I never would have thought of.. to continue modeling the g forces after the plane is stopped chocked and parked. Coolness!!!! I wonder if you enable the sailors will rafts pop up if the ship sinks... Hmmm Ill have to try that because I have been having so much fun with the sim, just flying... on all 3 fronts.. that I havent had the time to actually check out that feature yet.

Reaves_42
11-09-2004, 11:00 PM
Mmmm eye candy "drooling noise"

(Obviously you have my vote)

SeaFireLIV
11-10-2004, 04:24 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Bearcat99:
Not only did he respond within 5 or 6 hours.. but the fact that this is no bug.. its a part of the code... something I never would have thought of.. to continue modeling the g forces after the plane is stopped chocked and parked. Coolness!!!! I wonder if you enable the sailors will rafts pop up if the ship sinks... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yea, Oleg`s pretty quick sometimes. When I sent a message to him I had a reply within half an hour, I responded and had ANOTHER reply with half an hour again! Although I think I annoyed him a little... or maybe it was a language thing? I half expected after another half an hour a knock on the door and there he would be to give me a proper Russian telling-off! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

Yes, the pilot`s face should change to your custom face in the dinghy, but I have a feeling they`re wotking on it. When the ship sinks, no dinghies pop up, I`m afraid.

@ Silencer_42

Your BlackAdder sig message is great. ****, the blackAdder series came out with some priceless comical sayings - I wish I could write like those guys!

NegativeGee
11-10-2004, 04:49 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SeaFireLIV:
Yea, Oleg`s pretty quick sometimes. When I sent a message to him I had a reply within half an hour, I responded and had ANOTHER reply with half an hour again! Although I think I annoyed him a little... or maybe it was a language thing? I half expected after another half an hour a knock on the door and there he would be to give me a proper Russian telling-off! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes I agree about the language thing it can be an issue, and also about getting quick replies.

I sometimes think that no reply= okay we see what you mean and will fix. I normally hear back when its something that cannot be fixed or they can't see what I'm getting at.

Wert4562
11-10-2004, 07:24 PM
An officially awesome idear!

Simjock
11-10-2004, 08:37 PM
Too much animation kills frame rates!!!!!!

And thats what killed CFS3 !

Mabey just a growing column of smoke and fire, but nix life boats and oil slick.

Athosd
11-12-2004, 08:07 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Simjock:
Too much animation kills frame rates!!!!!!

And thats what killed CFS3 !

Mabey just a growing column of smoke and fire, but nix life boats and oil slick. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I dare say CFS3 suffered from rather more than a surfeit of detail.

Regards more things happening in PF when a ship is damage/sunk, I say bring it on! It would be great to see a bit more smoke, flame and general untidiness as a result of my destructive efforts. Those who are concerned about frame rates can just drop the detail down a notch if it bugs them http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/icon_twisted.gif.

carguy_
11-12-2004, 08:45 AM
Too many other priorities to get busy with this.This all goes to BoB.

My dream is if Oleg would separate ground object detail and lightning options.He says they`re working on making games more FPS count friendly.Right now all those cities are killing my FPS although s a fighter pilot I wouldn`t mind if somebody placed and option like trees or water thing in conf.ini.

Athosd
11-12-2004, 09:32 AM
I don't know about the "it'll be in BoB" thing - Oleg still seems keen to try out some new stuff in the PF engine.
BoB will ultimately benefit from developments examined in the current model.
Also, my guess is that BoB is a long way off - 2006 at least (2007 more probable IMHO). All indications are that it will require a generation of hardware not currently in the market for best performance - no point in rushing such a thing.

Monty_Thrud
11-12-2004, 12:21 PM
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gifThats a good idea for the oil slick...i was also wondering, but i'm not sure if its possible, when planes are either taking off or coming into land at either early morning or evening when its starting to go dark would it be possible to have the plane that is about to land, turn on his landing and navigation lights, then turn them off when coming to a halt and parking...i know this would be a fps killer but if just the plane that was about to land or take off were to do it then maybe it wouldnt be so fps intensive...just a thought http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Wolf_Fangs1381
11-12-2004, 08:40 PM
Hello Everyone,

I have to agree with you Seafire. It would definately add a bit more realism to the game. The other thing I would like to see if better sinkings. I think the slighty unlevel sinkings are lame. How about some vertical action,you know,stern or bow straight up. Of course depending on how its hit. Also it would be neat to see a ship buckle in the center when hit by a torpedo. The impact of the explosion would cause the mid section to ^ and then split into two pieces (bow and stern). I really think the sinking of ships could be improved and look much more life like. Expecially in the Pacific Theater! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif =S=