PDA

View Full Version : SOMEBODY HELP

campbell41
11-23-2005, 07:53 PM
JUST GOT PACIFIC FIGHTERS AND ITS AWESOME. I HAVE A DELL XPS 400 AND BOUGHT A LOGITECH EXTREME 3D PRO. IS THERE A WAY TO SKP DIRECTLY FROM TAKEOFF TO THE ACTION LIKE IN THE MICROSOFT FLIGHT SIMULATORS. I HATE SPENIND 10 OR 15 MINUTES FLYING ONLY TO GET SHOT DOWN IN TWO OR THREE MINUTES. ALSO WOULD YOU GUYS SUGGEST BUYING MICROSOFT COMBAT FLIGHT 3 OR ONE OF THE IL-2 SERIES. THANKS AND HAPPY THANKSGIVING!!!!!

campbell41
11-23-2005, 07:53 PM
JUST GOT PACIFIC FIGHTERS AND ITS AWESOME. I HAVE A DELL XPS 400 AND BOUGHT A LOGITECH EXTREME 3D PRO. IS THERE A WAY TO SKP DIRECTLY FROM TAKEOFF TO THE ACTION LIKE IN THE MICROSOFT FLIGHT SIMULATORS. I HATE SPENIND 10 OR 15 MINUTES FLYING ONLY TO GET SHOT DOWN IN TWO OR THREE MINUTES. ALSO WOULD YOU GUYS SUGGEST BUYING MICROSOFT COMBAT FLIGHT 3 OR ONE OF THE IL-2 SERIES. THANKS AND HAPPY THANKSGIVING!!!!!

han freak solo
11-23-2005, 08:38 PM
I have CFS1, 2, and 3.

I recommend IL2:Forgotten Battles with the Ace Expansion Pack and Pacific Fighters in a merged install.

If you look in your controls section of the game you can fast forward or slow down time with the "[" or "]" keys. There is also a time skip function that you have to assign a key to.

However, time skip in this sim turns the screen black and you can watch the little clock on the screen clue you in to game time that has passed.

There is no "instant" time skip.

Since you are a simmer, you may know about this site. I consider it a great first stop for info you may need for this sim.

http://www.airwarfare.com/Sims/FB/il2_fb.htm

vocatx
11-23-2005, 08:46 PM
Welcome to the forums, Campbell. Before someone says anything very indelicate, many frown on using all caps here...

As for your questions: If you are off-line, you can use the default keys for time compression. Check in your"Quick Reference Card". However, you will learn a lot more by flying your aircraft hands-on.

And no, I most certainly wouldn't advise anyone to buy MS CFS 3. I don't know about CFS 2, but I had 3, and compared to Pacific Fighters (PF), it was an arcade game. The only thing good about it was how much it made me appreciate Il-2 when I bought it. Basically, I think it was a total waste of money, and when I built this new rig this past summer (just to run FB/AEP/PF), I never installed CFS 3 on the hard drive.

If you really want to expand your horizons, buy Il-2 Forgotten Battles (Make sure it's Forgotten Battles, not original Il-2) and Ace Expansion Pack. You can often find the "Gold Pack" which includes both. This allows you to do a combined install of all three. You will get lots of maps and missions and over 100 flyable aircraft.

Be aware, "Original" IL-2 is NOT compatible with Pacific Fighters. ONLY Forgotten Battles (FB) and Ace Expansion Pack (AEP) can be merged with PF. Find one of Bearcat 99's posts and click on the link marked "Essentials". Lots and lots of info there.

Welcome to the madness.

marc_hawkins
11-23-2005, 08:47 PM
Woah there fella with teh caps lock!

Well, most people here will probably say that flying around is half the fun, but you can use the key 'A' to set auto pilot and use the [ and ] keys to speed up or slow down the time. Don't forget the quick mission builder as well for some air start fun, good for practise too, except for the take offs...

Never played MCFS 3, many do say that it doesn't compare to this game, though others say it can be fun in its own little way, especially if you get the fan made improvements. Somebody more qualified may be able to tell you more. Once on this i didn't need anything else!

Do get IL2 forgotten battles and the ace expansion pack (in a gold pack togever in the US) if you find yourself enjoying PF. Much more content, and with the patches for the merged install lots more goodies too, not forgetting that you need the latest merged patched version (forgotten battles+AEP=pacific fighters v4.02) if you wish to play online, or atleast with lots of people. The original game, Il2 sturmovik, is not compatible with these and has only limited patches. Don't think there would be any playing that online.

Hope this helps and welcome... no thanksgiving turkey for poor brit http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

marc_hawkins
11-23-2005, 08:48 PM
ah you just beat me to it there! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Edit: Both of you! that was quick!

Skycat_2
11-24-2005, 12:18 AM
Very few people here are willing to say good things about CFS-3. It's the sim that everybody loves to hate ...

I won't spend but a few lines defending CFS-3 because I also think that the "IL-2: Forgotten Battles" series is the better game. However, CFS-3 and FB/AEP are different enough in ambiance and execution that you can have both and enjoy each for its unique strengths. With CFS-3, I liked that most of Western Europe is modelled as one continous map -- you can fly from London to Berlin. High altitude looks good. The Instant Action mode allows you to jump right in and dogfight or do ground attacks for as long as you wish (if you use unlimited ammo option) and you get your stats afterwards. CFS-3 offers several planes as flyables that aren't yet available in the FB/AEP+PF series ... and you can download many more "user made" planes and mods from sites like Avhistory.org or Netwings.

However, the FB/AEP+PF series is the better choice for multiplayer gaming and, arguably, offline campaigning. If you like Pacific Fighters, you haven't seen nuthin' yet: I like the Forgotten Battles and Ace Expansion Pack maps better than the ones in PF, and I think the campaigns are more interesting. You can get FB and AEP as the "Gold Pack" and then install PF on top of the Gold Pack. Finish it off with the patches, and you'll have a huge collection of maps and planes including several that are only available to those players who have all three titles "merged" together.

To summarize: definately get Forgotten Battles and the Ace Expansion Pack (bundled together as "Gold Pack") to complete PF. Consider getting CFS-3 only if you find it for a low price -- it's riddled with sloppy graphics and code but the basic sim is open to modding. The FirePower add-on for CFS-3 is an excellent commercial expansion.

LEXX_Luthor
11-24-2005, 01:53 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">SKP DIRECTLY FROM TAKEOFF TO THE ACTION LIKE IN THE MICROSOFT FLIGHT SIMULATORS. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
The AI computer controlled planes in this sim actually exist and "live" -- in real mission files that you play they takeoff and fly their complete missions and land just like you do. I mean, what if the AI wanted to SKP directly to the action forcing YOU the player to jump out of HyperSpace when they want you to? How much fun is that? You can use time acceleration to speed up time, but its not Instant Space Warp like in other sims since the AI planes have to be calculated and don't just exit HyperSpace when you want them to.

SeaFireLIV
11-24-2005, 02:39 AM
ARGH! My EYES!