PDA

View Full Version : Teach me to fly a Yak?

copet
09-07-2008, 09:15 PM
Can someone explain to me how to put a Yak to best use? It seems that I am fine at 100% Mixture up until about 4300 altitude, at which point it starts smoking unless I go to 80% mixture, which loses me power it seems.

I don't quite understand why this happens, or if what I'm doing correctly, but this isn't a problem in any other plane I've flown. Can someone explain to me what I should be doing? I've never really used mixtures before.

copet
09-07-2008, 09:15 PM
Can someone explain to me how to put a Yak to best use? It seems that I am fine at 100% Mixture up until about 4300 altitude, at which point it starts smoking unless I go to 80% mixture, which loses me power it seems.

I don't quite understand why this happens, or if what I'm doing correctly, but this isn't a problem in any other plane I've flown. Can someone explain to me what I should be doing? I've never really used mixtures before.

VW-IceFire
09-07-2008, 09:20 PM
At about 3500 you should cut to 80% fuel mixture. Around 6000ish it needs to be cut to 60%.

Supercharger should be set to stage 2 around 2500 to 3000 meters. I usually just get a feel for the engine sound and change the stage and fuel mix.

The loss of power may be you not switching supercharger stages...or you may just be noticing the Yak's poor altitude performance. Only the late Yak-9U is decent at altitude. They are definitely most at home between 500 and 3000 meters.

Marcel_Albert
09-08-2008, 03:02 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by copet:

I don't quite understand why this happens, or if what I'm doing correctly, but this isn't a problem in any other plane I've flown. Can someone explain to me what I should be doing? I've never really used mixtures before. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hi http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

My humble advices since i flown this a/c for some years , set supercharger stage 2 at 2200 meters , switch 80% mixture at 3200 meters , 60% at 5200 meters .

Yak is a very good airplane , it is very important to trim well this aircraft (keep the ball in the center and get the nose to be in level flight after you set your combat settings ) , don't fly above 5000 meters , it's almost useless on the Eastern front as the troops and the bombers are below , try to use its energy to the maximum (lower prop pitch above 480-500kmh , trim your plane well ) during combat , use gentle input don't be tempted to overuse its good manoeuvrability , it's a common mistake, the faster you are , the better chances you stand .

Fly it as an energy plane , try to stay fast always as Yak-9 for example is very good at sustained medium to low speed dogfight thanks to its great aerodynamical enveloppe , you will outturn 109's at speeds over 300kmh and keep your speed in turns better than them on the long run as they bleed energy faster than you , so be patient against them and avoid vertical fight with 109 unless you have more energy , you will slightly outclimb 190's up to 5000meters and outturn them at any speed under 500km/h , break your speed only when necessary and always close your radiator or position 2 maximum in combat with this bird , use well prop pitch settings to sustain your speed very well and cool your engine , avoid frontal attacks , your plane is good enough to get on the tail of anything thanks to its agility , great acceleration , decent speed and climbrate for most Yak models , so no need to take unnecessary risks (except against bombers like He-111, frontal attack is the best solution with Yaks ) .

Try to shoot your UB 12.7mm separately from your 20mm Shvak when possible , it will double your shooting time , your 12.7mm machine gun shoots at 1500rpm it is powerful and enough to cut a 109 or a 190's wing if you are accurate, shoot only very close to your opponent (no spray and pray in Yaks )at less than 100 meters , max 150m , never follow your ennemy for long in a dive , Yaks are light aircraft so you will not catch him in a dive , stay higher and fast then keep track of him from far , in Yaks you need very good discipline/teamwork and training in team tactics to be succesful cause usually your opponents fly higher than you and/or are faster (190 A5, 109 G2) at higher alts , it is a lovely airplane though , especially later models , Yak-3 and Yak-9U are sublime aircrafts , Yak-3 is the lightest and extremely dangerous in experienced hands at low altitude against anything , Yak-9U being the heaviest (also requires proper trimming )made with metal , it is very fast without needing wep (so you can use nearly full power all the time ) , outmanoeuvres almost any plane at medium to high speed including 190's (except the Dora ) and has an impressive climb rate and overall ability to keep speed during combat manoeuvres , then there is the all metal Yak-3 with Vk107 engine , the ultimate ride for Yak lovers http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif