PDA

View Full Version : Co-op in Assassin's Creed...

obliviondoll
11-05-2010, 02:48 PM
I've searched for threads on the topic and found none posted this year, so I chose to create a new thread rather than necroing something that was probably about AC2.

It's confirmed not to be in Brotherhood, but they've said it's possible if they can rationalise its inclusion in the universe. I have a suggestion for how:

The Assassins know Abstergo are training their operatives with the animi, and have decided to do the same. In co-op mode, players are cast in the role of near-future assassins whose ancestors were lower-ranking members of the order.

As you play, you unlock higher-level skills/equipment and missions, as well as new customisation options. Customisation will mostly be done by equipment appearing on the character, but dyes will also be available.

Co-op missions will basically be either assassination or theft, where the players need to get into a secure area, achieve the goal, and get out without being killed. Some high-level missions will require multiple items be stolen, and players will only be able to carry one such item each. Any player who participates in a successful mission gains XP, even if killed, any player who survives a mission gains XP, even if it fails, the best score goes to players who achieve both. Small XP bonuses will be earned by being the person to achieve the goal (or a goal, if the mission has more than one), or by luring guards from their posts, killing them, etc. Killing civilians will not desynchronise you, as lesser assassins more occasionally made such mistakes, but there will be XP penalties for such actions, indicating your loss of favour within the brotherhood.

Players will have 3 standard equipment slots, arms, legs and torso. Arms can be equipped with leather gloves, allowing ledge grabs and slightly increasing climbing speed, or steel gauntlets, increasing health slightly. Legs can likewise have leather boots to unlock sprinting, or steel boots. If both leather limb items are equipped, the player will also be able to use the climbing leap ability. For the torso, players will be able to equip leather or steel armour. If any steel is equipped, the character will, unlike the more inhumanly capable master assassins, be unable to swim.

As novice assassins, these character have minimal equipment, carrying only a single hidden blade, and no other weapons.

Later, players will unlock activated abilities with cooldowns, activated items with limited ammo, and special equipment/perks (including a second hidden blade at maximum level). Combining the use of multiple players' items and abilities will be necessary for higher-level missions.

When players encounter guards, if they can get close undetected (blending or coming from behind) they can assassinate them. If they alert the guard beforehand, the assassination will fail, and they may take damage. Even armoured players will have limited health, so evading enemies is high priority. Against brutes, armoured players are better for distractions, because faster characters will die in one hit if they fail, but these tougher characters won't be able to outrun regular guards or agiles as easily (though throwing knives may even the playing field, if you have them). The layout and types of guards will be randomised to some extent, so you have to be able to adapt to situations dynamically.

As an aside to "prestige mode" from some other multiplayer game people talk about, there could be the option to enter "advanced assassin training" - doing so would put an assassin logo next to your character name, reset your level, and unlock special missions which only advanced assassins can play. In these missions, the goals and difficulty would be similar to those of the higher level missions, but players would be equipped with full leather armour and dual hidden blades, but no items or abilities.

---

Yes, the idea probably needs work, but I think it's a good starting framework for mechanics and backstory.

Who's with me?

obliviondoll
11-05-2010, 02:48 PM
I've searched for threads on the topic and found none posted this year, so I chose to create a new thread rather than necroing something that was probably about AC2.

It's confirmed not to be in Brotherhood, but they've said it's possible if they can rationalise its inclusion in the universe. I have a suggestion for how:

The Assassins know Abstergo are training their operatives with the animi, and have decided to do the same. In co-op mode, players are cast in the role of near-future assassins whose ancestors were lower-ranking members of the order.

As you play, you unlock higher-level skills/equipment and missions, as well as new customisation options. Customisation will mostly be done by equipment appearing on the character, but dyes will also be available.

Co-op missions will basically be either assassination or theft, where the players need to get into a secure area, achieve the goal, and get out without being killed. Some high-level missions will require multiple items be stolen, and players will only be able to carry one such item each. Any player who participates in a successful mission gains XP, even if killed, any player who survives a mission gains XP, even if it fails, the best score goes to players who achieve both. Small XP bonuses will be earned by being the person to achieve the goal (or a goal, if the mission has more than one), or by luring guards from their posts, killing them, etc. Killing civilians will not desynchronise you, as lesser assassins more occasionally made such mistakes, but there will be XP penalties for such actions, indicating your loss of favour within the brotherhood.

Players will have 3 standard equipment slots, arms, legs and torso. Arms can be equipped with leather gloves, allowing ledge grabs and slightly increasing climbing speed, or steel gauntlets, increasing health slightly. Legs can likewise have leather boots to unlock sprinting, or steel boots. If both leather limb items are equipped, the player will also be able to use the climbing leap ability. For the torso, players will be able to equip leather or steel armour. If any steel is equipped, the character will, unlike the more inhumanly capable master assassins, be unable to swim.

As novice assassins, these character have minimal equipment, carrying only a single hidden blade, and no other weapons.

Later, players will unlock activated abilities with cooldowns, activated items with limited ammo, and special equipment/perks (including a second hidden blade at maximum level). Combining the use of multiple players' items and abilities will be necessary for higher-level missions.

When players encounter guards, if they can get close undetected (blending or coming from behind) they can assassinate them. If they alert the guard beforehand, the assassination will fail, and they may take damage. Even armoured players will have limited health, so evading enemies is high priority. Against brutes, armoured players are better for distractions, because faster characters will die in one hit if they fail, but these tougher characters won't be able to outrun regular guards or agiles as easily (though throwing knives may even the playing field, if you have them). The layout and types of guards will be randomised to some extent, so you have to be able to adapt to situations dynamically.

As an aside to "prestige mode" from some other multiplayer game people talk about, there could be the option to enter "advanced assassin training" - doing so would put an assassin logo next to your character name, reset your level, and unlock special missions which only advanced assassins can play. In these missions, the goals and difficulty would be similar to those of the higher level missions, but players would be equipped with full leather armour and dual hidden blades, but no items or abilities.

---

Yes, the idea probably needs work, but I think it's a good starting framework for mechanics and backstory.

Who's with me?

Justin125
11-05-2010, 03:50 PM
I like the way you think sir.

BiscuitHaze
11-05-2010, 03:55 PM
like it. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif
Would be awesome if it had co-op. Already its becoming better with multiplayer, maybe they could try co-op?

SWJS
11-05-2010, 04:10 PM
Very well done my good sir! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/clap.gif

Serenity9066
11-05-2010, 04:17 PM
Oh, yeah. Nice thread...

RangerRico
11-05-2010, 04:57 PM
Would this be like Spec Ops. from MW2 with free running and stealth or more like the free roaming we all know and love from AC? I'm a little confused

JackyVengeance
11-05-2010, 05:16 PM
I think this is a really clever idea http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

I had an idea of my own

I dont know if anyone has played the game splinter cell conviction, but I was thinking along those lines so having a main story like e.g. ezios, but then have a coop story whcih would involve two completely knew characters with their own set of abilities I think the idea of the armour is very clever so maybe put something like that in, I know my idea is really brief and hasnt got alot to it but I basically thought of it while reading the first post :P

but awesome idea http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Serenity9066
11-05-2010, 05:29 PM
I just want to play with a select few friends on a freeroam map and not have to care about anything else. I can see where the whole "Lucy, and Desmond" thing is coming from, but that only seems useful for couples to play together "Oh look! I'm the guy, and you're the girl!". Sounds kinda boring for a co-op. Besides if it's online having only the option of two players per co-op game would be an unnecessary limitation.

Although it would be cool if you had the choice to choose between any character of the game, or have a customizable "blank slate" kind of thing. Like in Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2 on up >.>. I enjoy customization.

obliviondoll
11-09-2010, 08:41 AM
(Edited for improved legibility)<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JackyVengeance:
having a main story like Ezio's, but then have a coop story which would involve two completely new characters with their own set of abilities </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
This sounds like a good idea.
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Serenity9066:
I can see where the whole "Lucy, and Desmond" thing is coming from, but that only seems useful for couples to play together "Oh look! I'm the guy, and you're the girl!". Sounds kinda boring for a co-op. Besides if it's online having only the option of two players per co-op game would be an unnecessary limitation. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
But this is why it's not such a brilliant idea after all.

And a free-roaming mode where you can just explore a city/area with friends and have fun would be awesome.

The reason I suggested the co-op idea the way I did was because that could cater for a reasonable number of players at once, as well as working fine with only 2 people. You could potentially even have single-player missions in that mode, and it would be possible, like in Splinter Cell, to have them all function as a sort of side-story as well, if they set it up right. But having something story-driven or relevant to the gameworld sort of prevents unguided free-roaming from being much of an option.