PDA

View Full Version : Question about the Dynamic Campaign Generator.

Sturmvogel66
12-28-2003, 12:22 AM
Okay, I followed all the instructions, it is all smooth, but when I went to go load the game I followed the "choose any campaign you want, and you will get the one you created" thing, and the campaign I got was with the wrong planes, and wrong nationality, but the right front...Is there something I did wrong...who here has used this DCGEN and have it work flawlessly, what did you do, and how did you do it to make it work?

Sturmvogel66
12-28-2003, 12:22 AM
Okay, I followed all the instructions, it is all smooth, but when I went to go load the game I followed the "choose any campaign you want, and you will get the one you created" thing, and the campaign I got was with the wrong planes, and wrong nationality, but the right front...Is there something I did wrong...who here has used this DCGEN and have it work flawlessly, what did you do, and how did you do it to make it work?

Nealg
12-28-2003, 02:23 AM
Do you refer to Lowengrin's DCG? And are you trying to use it as a replacement for DGen, or as a seperate utility?

I have successfully used it both ways, but it is tricky. I do prefer DGen for the in game generation, so I am now using DCG only to fly a US campaign.

Explanations are pretty complete at the DCG site http://members.shaw.ca/lowengrin/index.html although it could be made more so. I simply used the instructions posted there; it seemed to work ok, though using it to replace DGen has severe limitations over DGen itself in the way I enjoy using it.

777_Nealg_AVG
http://777AVG.com/sigs/sig04.gif

Sturmvogel66
12-28-2003, 11:56 AM
What do you mean severe limitations. Basically all I want to do, is fly a US campaign, without having to make a new mission each time (in-game generation) and I also want to use my own skin for my squadron. What do I need to do? Oh yes, I am refering to Lowengrins DCG. http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Nealg
12-28-2003, 02:39 PM
Limitations, for me, come when using DCG to replace DGen. I like sometimes to have several different campaigns running for the same pilot...but in this mode with DCG, I can't.

Anyway...to run a US campaign with DCG...this is how I have done it.

First, get Extreme One's 'Real Deal' campaign and install it ( the latest, at Mudmover's ).

Next, get DCG ( 2.36 is the latest ) and put it into a folder on the same hard drive - but not the same folder - as Forgotten Battles. Just create a folder - I use 'IL2DCG' - and unzip DCG into it.

Next, look at the folder you just made and find the dcgwfront.zip file ( I think that is the name...it's the only Zip file in DCG once DCG is unzipped ). Unzip that file to the DGen folder within FB..overwrite files at your own risk, though the first time you do it, it should not overwrite any. Once done, now you are ready to set up DCG.

I made a short cut on my desktop for the DCG.exe. Run DCG.exe...the first time, it will ask first for the path to the DCG exe file, then the path to the il2fb.exe...it may or may not ask for the path to a campaign folder. If all is done correctly, the DCG splash screen opens. Here is where you need to decide how you are going to use DCG...I am presuming from your squadron skins statement that you want to replace stock DGen, so I will go that route.

With DCG still open, just go to the Mode selection - click Auto Generation - then click 'Replace DGen' ( it will ask if you want to do this, click 'Yes' ). You may also want to make sure 'Delayed Start Times' and 'Historical Production Dates' are unchecked, and under 'Campaign Settings', set Column Density and Stationary Object Density to less than Full. Close DCG. Open FB, select Pilot Career, select USA, select 'Fighter' ( not DCG ), and proceed as you normally would with the stock DGen ( Set Difficulty, Start, enter your Pilot info., etc..). Using all those steps above, I was successful in creating a US campaign.

You can always go back into DCG and set different options, including pilot editing which I think uses skins, but I have never actually used that feature. You get to the Pilot Editor from the Squadron Edit screen...above the pilot list, just click on 'Pilot Information' when you have the squad you want selected.

Be aware that FB's skin selection overrides DCG's....I am not sure how that affects the selections.

Except for the Pilot Editing/Skins, that is how I got it to work. I have since Undone the replacement, and am now using it externally just for the US Normandy campaign. That's a bit more complicated, but does what I want and allows me to keep DGen, which I prefer.

I hope I have helped somewhat, and that you are successful with it. I know you already went through most of this...I just listed out as best I could how I did it in case there was a step you might have missed. Best of Luck - it's a good utility when you can get it to work.

777_Nealg_AVG
http://777AVG.com/sigs/sig04.gif

SeaFireLIV
12-28-2003, 02:48 PM
Nealg, I couldn`t have really said it better.
The DCG 2.36 does indeed let you pick skins of aircraft not just for you, but for everyone in your squad. You can even change names, so if you`re still doing the Soviet campaign and can`t remember their names just give em a nickname. To work this just click on names in DCG.
It may sound silly, but actually increases your awareness and worry of them being killed!

`Man is an embodied paradox, a bundle of contradictions.` Lacon.