PDA

View Full Version : Dual Boot....The Solution?

Sooocool
03-12-2007, 07:59 AM
I recently bought a Dell E521, nice unit, good price.
However! When they advertise free upgrade to Vista, let the buyer beware, it's not XP with a Vista upgrade ROM, it comes with Vista installed.
I tried to like it, but was 97% dysfunctional for me, no exaggeration! On the phone, Dell rep. said, you want XP, you buy. (OK, I'm a Looser; I can tell you're snickering.)
So, I rush to the local Staples and just before I lay down my credit card, the manager takes pity on me and tells me that if I take a deep breath and let it out slow, in a few months many of these Vista problems will be solved. I said that when I bought this computer, I thought I was getting something I could use.
He then suggested that as long as I had already bought Vista, that I could install another hard drive, install Vista on it, and have a "Dual Boot" on start up. I said not now, but maybe next year, that is if Vista doesn't go the way of the Susan B. Anthony dollar.
IMHO, each operating system will excel over the other in any given application.
If you already have XP and wish to add Vista, you might be able to "Partition" your hard drive but it doesn't work the other way around. Second hard drive or partitioning just may be a long term solution to our needs.

Sooocool
03-12-2007, 07:59 AM
I recently bought a Dell E521, nice unit, good price.
However! When they advertise free upgrade to Vista, let the buyer beware, it's not XP with a Vista upgrade ROM, it comes with Vista installed.
I tried to like it, but was 97% dysfunctional for me, no exaggeration! On the phone, Dell rep. said, you want XP, you buy. (OK, I'm a Looser; I can tell you're snickering.)
So, I rush to the local Staples and just before I lay down my credit card, the manager takes pity on me and tells me that if I take a deep breath and let it out slow, in a few months many of these Vista problems will be solved. I said that when I bought this computer, I thought I was getting something I could use.
He then suggested that as long as I had already bought Vista, that I could install another hard drive, install Vista on it, and have a "Dual Boot" on start up. I said not now, but maybe next year, that is if Vista doesn't go the way of the Susan B. Anthony dollar.
IMHO, each operating system will excel over the other in any given application.
If you already have XP and wish to add Vista, you might be able to "Partition" your hard drive but it doesn't work the other way around. Second hard drive or partitioning just may be a long term solution to our needs.

GerritJ9
03-12-2007, 08:54 AM
When installing two different Windows operating systems, it is essential to remember that the oldest system MUST be installed first- first Windows 2000 and then XP for instance. Ditto for XP and Vista: First XP, then Vista. Reason is that XP's boot manager will recognize earlier Windows versions, but will NOT recognize Vista since it it a newer system. Vista will, of course, recognize XP, 2000, ME, 98 and even 95. You can also run a dual-boot with two XP systems or two Vistas.
Personally, I'm not going to bother with Vista and stick with W2000 until support expires- then MAYBE I'll consider switching to XP Pro. As far as I'm concerned Vista offers nothing useful and/or exciting.

WWSpinDry
03-12-2007, 09:11 AM
With all the draconian Big-Brother-type **** that Vista comes with, does it even support letting you have a dual-boot system any more?

x6BL_Brando
03-12-2007, 10:11 AM
One of the useful apps that comes with the Acronis Disk Director suite is a Boot-manager (http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/diskdirector/multibooting.html) , along with the partitioning tool and all the other features. It's a mite pricey - but it works just like it says on the box, even allowing you to boot from different hard drives. It lists Vista as a supported OS - Recommended! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

B

-HH-Quazi
03-12-2007, 10:41 AM
I own the Acronis Disk Director Suite also and have used the Boot Manager aspect several times in the past. It works like a charm along with all the other features of the program. I also own the Acronis Privacy Expert and Acronis True Image programs. Their programs are awesome and makes disk management a breeze.