PDA

View Full Version : How to implement different armor styles the easiest way possible- Warden Edition

Ianoneshot
04-12-2018, 03:05 AM
Hello, it's you friendly neighborhood cosmetic-wanting freak, and I am here to list possible ways to implement new armor styles into For Honor. Which everybody has been wanting lately.

https://i.imgur.com/tSQSMRM.jpg

This one I am specifically looking at Warden. This hero is the main look for the Knights and many people want to see more 'imagination' in him. Like a cape, fur armor, and most importantly plate armor. I am looking at this armor from 2016 e3 story trailer of For Honor, or more commonly known as the starting cutscene in season 1.

https://i.imgur.com/CEBrqod.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/55vb80X.png

So let me start off with the chestplate, which seems the hardest to do given the Warden's usual armor look. Here is what I can think of.

THE CHESTPLATE-

1a. Get the most clear version of Lawbringer's chesplate. Then make a copy version of that save. Next you customize it to get rid of the neck protector and chain, till it's just a plain chestplate.
1b. Take it from the longsword captain.
2. Edit the chestplate so it works for both male and female customization.

THE ARMS-

1. Get the usual leather/plate arms and get rid of the plates.
2. Remove all the leather parts besides 1 on the left shoulder, the right shoulder will have a circular shoulder-plate shown in the 2015 version of the model.
3. Give the rest of the arms chainmail and nothing more.
4. Make the elbows pads symmetrical, and fuse warden's current plate gloves with one of centurion's.

THE LEGS-

1. Get the usual leggings, but move the standards to the middle of the armor and maybe make it cloth if wanted.
2. make chainmail up from the plate boots to the chestplate.

THE HELMET-

1. Make it from scratch. there is nothing near to the German salet.
2. Give them a face. Just the eyes, nose, mouth, and neck.

I personally think this should be introduced as a common set of armor so the devs can build it up to look ceremonial like they did originally for the other sets of armor.
Also I think the armor should be called "Rookie" because it's the first Warden we see at all in the For Honor timeline, so technically in the video that warden was a rookie before that warden escalated to start the order of wardens.

What do you guys think?

Veerdin-Wraith
04-12-2018, 11:47 AM
The frustrating thing is that they already have functional assets for new armour sets that they could be using, but refuse to implement because [insert nebulous non-answer here]:

https://cdn2.artstation.com/p/assets/images/images/002/766/986/large/andrzej-marszalek-forhonorconstructionshot-01.jpg?1465473150

https://i.redd.it/rmrqh3p86kb01.jpg

https://i11c.3djuegos.com/juegos/12148/for_honor/fotos/maestras/for_honor-3478758.jpg

In addition we have the "boss" armour sets, which Ubisoft claims are "unusable" because they aren't properly rigged for certain ornaments and animations, even though the models (with the possible exception of Apollyon herself) are literally just player classes with unattainable items on.

At this point, Ubisoft have "made a note of" the desire for new armour several times, but the best we've got is Romaine saying "I'll never say never!" which is basically a way of dismissing the whole issue.

kanuzira
04-12-2018, 12:11 PM
The frustrating thing is that they already have functional assets for new armour sets that they could be using, but refuse to implement because [insert nebulous non-answer here]:

https://cdn2.artstation.com/p/assets/images/images/002/766/986/large/andrzej-marszalek-forhonorconstructionshot-01.jpg?1465473150

https://i11c.3djuegos.com/juegos/12148/for_honor/fotos/maestras/for_honor-3478758.jpg

In addition we have the "boss" armour sets, which Ubisoft claims are "unusable" because they aren't properly rigged for certain ornaments and animations, even though the models (with the possible exception of Apollyon herself) are literally just player classes with unattainable items on.

At this point, Ubisoft have "made a note of" the desire for new armour several times, but the best we've got is Romaine saying "I'll never say never!" which is basically a way of dismissing the whole issue.

If they make the ornaments unavailable if you wear that particular item problems would be fixed

Ianoneshot
04-12-2018, 01:15 PM

Agreed, they already put the time and effort to implement these armor assets, they just don't use them for some unknown reason because the devs won't tell us why!

SpaceJim12
04-12-2018, 01:28 PM
If they make the ornaments unavailable if you wear that particular item problems would be fixed

You know, on LB fabrics parts of body armor have verticaly stretched ornamets, and devs don't care. On some shoulder pads of Warden I saw broken ornaments, so it's not a problem.
And you know, I could live with all ornaments go away, if devs offer new visuals of armor instead.

Vakris_One
04-12-2018, 01:32 PM

Not to be a party pooper but that Warden set has never been in any version of the game therefore it cannot be said that they have a "functional asset in the game" for that specific armour. It's a pre-rendered image created in the confines of a 3D model editing software like Maia or Blender for use simply as a concept image.

The Orochi armour with the flappy piece on the back has indeed been in a closed developer build of the game but never made it into the live alpha/beta. The dev's have said that it was an issue of properly animating the flappy part on the back. They could have solved that problem by now though if they had put a team on it, especially if they seem to be running out of ideas for new Orochi armour.

I really like that he has chain mail and it would make for a nice upgrade to start adding chainmail, lamellar with metal pieces and lacquered wood to all new batches of Legendary Samurai armour. It would really symbolise how your warrior is rising up the ranks and getting access to the best and rarest armour his faction has to offer.

kanuzira
04-12-2018, 01:55 PM
Also the boss gear is gender locked

Veerdin-Wraith
04-12-2018, 02:04 PM
Not to be a party pooper but that Warden set has never been in any version of the game therefore it cannot be said that they have a "functional asset in the game" for that specific armour. It's a pre-rendered image created in the confines of a 3D model editing software like Maia or Blender for use simply as a concept image.

The Orochi armour with the flappy piece on the back has indeed been in a closed developer build of the game but never made it into the live alpha/beta. The dev's have said that it was an issue of properly animating the flappy part on the back. They could have solved that problem by now though if they had put a team on it, especially if they seem to be running out of ideas for new Orochi armour.

I really like that he has chain mail and it would make for a nice upgrade to start adding chainmail, lamellar with metal pieces and lacquered wood to all new batches of Legendary Samurai armour. It would really symbolise how your warrior is rising up the ranks and getting access to the best and rarest armour his faction has to offer.

It's true that the Warden set I showed hasn't appeared in a build of the game (that we know of) but it has appeared in several trailers, promotional art, and in the "gameplay concept" animation that they did way back. The model may not have been used in any build of the game that we've gotten to see, but we do know it's been fully rigged to a skeletal system and can be animated. Seeing as the proportions for it are petty much on par with the current Warden model (with the only real difference I can see being that the in-game Warden has a scaled-up sword) It should, theoretically, be possible to simply rig the model to the current Warden animation set and tweak it a bit if necessary.

It's been a while since I last cracked open 3DS Max and did any model work of my own, and even longer since that I've done any 3D animation, but I still know more than the average bear when it comes to 3D game assets, and from what I can see? The hardest parts of implementing that model (making the model, unwrapping it, texturing it, rigging it, making animations) are all done already. The only things left to do would be to apply the patterns system - which I believe is some code-based shader thing that switches out texture masks on the mesh - and perhaps slightly tweak the model proportions to better fit the Warden animations.

That's a job for, at most, two people. One person to handle the visual side of things: Smoothing out any animation kinks and adjusting proportions. And one person to handle the code side: Implementing the patterns/materials switching system to the relevant parts of the texture, coding in the armour pieces themselves, ect...

Obviously I'm just guessing as to how the actual system works for the devs, but from what I can gather, it should be something similar to that.

And if nothing else? Those models are all fully rigged, unwrapped and textured, so theoretically you could take bits off them (like the Warden's breastplate, for instance) and simply adapt that over an existing Warden "base" template to make a new armour piece. This is the kind of thing teenagers do in their free time, for crying out loud!

As for the Orochi's unused armour (which I believe is called the "Oni" armour because that's what the class used to be called) animating the flap surely can't be that difficult. They gave two of them for the Kensei and that class recently got their entire moveset overhauled! Last I checked, the Orochi wasn't undergoing any crazy acrobatics or feats of contortionism, and from what I understand, the "flappy" armour bits on the characters are handled more by the in-game physics engine than pre-baked animations (although it's probably a blend of both) so I don't buy the excuse of it being "too hard" to animate. If they wanted to be really lazy, they could adapt the physics properties from the Kensei's shoulder pads for it!

What's more is that they keep using the damn Oni armour! Promotional images and screenshots, game art, even UI elements for the Orochi! Hell, the Orochi model in the big black-and-gold group scene they did for Season 5's game intro is wearing the Oni armour! They keep teasing us with it, but vehemently deny us its use, dodging questions as to why and giving unconvincing, vague hand-wave answers about animations and clipping when they've demonstrated, time and time again, the capability to handle them.

I don't know... I don't understand why Ubisoft is so adamant about not giving us real answers. I remember back during the launch of the game (and before, during beta) people were calling for Dedicated Servers. Time and again we got community reps thrown into the fire, telling us that the dedicated servers idea simply "wasn't possible". And yet, one year later? Here we are.

I hate to say it, but I don't feel like the community representatives can actually give us any info of value anymore. The most they can do is "make note of" our concerns and "send the feedback up the ladder" and so on. But when it comes to answering questions? All we ever get are deflections, non-answers, vague handwaves or, as the dedicated servers business shows, outright falsehoods. At this rate, we may never get a clear answer as to why Ubisoft is refusing to use these game assets.

My only real conclusion is simply that they're either too lazy to implement them, or they straight up don't have the staff available to handle them, neither of which is very promising for the game's future. If they can't even give us pre-existing assets, how are we supposed to be confident in getting any new content that's significant?

Col.Bullet
04-12-2018, 08:53 PM
Also the boss gear is gender locked
What about it? I highly doubt that adapting them to the corresponding female model is impossible for Ubisoft. And if animations dont work out, give it to the Animation Team. That's their job.

Ianoneshot
04-13-2018, 02:31 AM
I just realized Veerdin's comment was delete. Only Ubi can do that... Fishy.

Alustar.
04-13-2018, 03:55 AM
As an aside, I know how 3d modeling works, the lack of actual new
Gear styles and armor is indicative of a lack of manpower and/or dedication to new designs. I'd be willing to even work on making new armor/weapons. It's not "hard" it just takes time and patience. Their unwillingness to put out real content is staggering. Ubisoft, you have a forums worth of players that would be willing to work and help, so what's the problem?

Ianoneshot
04-22-2018, 02:31 PM
As an aside, I know how 3d modeling works, the lack of actual new
Gear styles and armor is indicative of a lack of manpower and/or dedication to new designs. I'd be willing to even work on making new armor/weapons. It's not "hard" it just takes time and patience. Their unwillingness to put out real content is staggering. Ubisoft, you have a forums worth of players that would be willing to work and help, so what's the problem?

I think maybe payment. I don't really know if the developers of For Honor can pay a lot of people. Ubisoft seems to have given up on this game, and since Ubisoft is the founder of For Honor then that doesn't bode well.