PDA

View Full Version : us destroyer question

dog-of-war
11-10-2006, 01:48 PM
the wickes destroyers in the game uss dent dd116 and uss ward dd139 are both the same vessel, is there a difference that i am missing and if no difference why did they include the same vessel twice

dog-of-war
11-10-2006, 01:48 PM
the wickes destroyers in the game uss dent dd116 and uss ward dd139 are both the same vessel, is there a difference that i am missing and if no difference why did they include the same vessel twice

finastkind
11-10-2006, 02:05 PM
in game i cant say but be assured that no ship destroyer or what ever in the same class are the same.ive been building ddg,s for 20 years and no two are are identical.any class improves with each ship and at times reverts to older proven technology.so there may be minor diffs between the two.

Nimits
11-10-2006, 02:20 PM
In the game, the only difference is different hull numbers.

Treetop64
11-10-2006, 03:36 PM
I think the difference is that the head in the Ward has one of those "red seat" toilets in game, while the Dent does not.<div class="ev_tpc_signature">

------------------------------
"It breaks my heart, but I am almost certain that raaaid will get the Nobel Prize in physics before we get the Avenger in PF."
-- Zeus-cat
------------------------------

zbw_109
11-10-2006, 04:56 PM
Its just an excuse to say you have heaps of stuff, so as to beat competion (what is IL-2s equivalent?)<div class="ev_tpc_signature">

Deutsche Zentralbibliothek fur Wirtschaftswissenschaften

FritzGryphon
11-10-2006, 05:57 PM
The original model (that I made, BTW), was the Ward. MG made new skins to make it look like other ships.

In fact, most of the ships in the game are that way. There is one ship in a class modeled, and the rest have different skins to add variety. In some cases, the flak is changed a little (naval cannons on Lexington, and 5inch flak on Saratoga).

As much as I would like to see each ship historically accurate, there is just not the time to do it. Also, it is hard enough to find reference materials for one ship in a class, never mind all of them seperately.

PF has few enough ships as it is. I'm glad they made these variants, even if they aren't perfectly correct.

Steamer54
11-10-2006, 07:02 PM
Actually, they are the same class destroyer. Wickes class...

[URL=http://www.destroyers.org/ShipList/HullNb.htm#DD-1_to_DD-100]

Scroll down through the hull numbers of each vessel and you will see both ships noted as Wickes class...

I served in Knox class DE's in the early 70's as a boiler tech, (thus the handle) and all ships of a class are basically the same. BuShips does put new technology, or fittings into a ship based on availibility and or mission requirements, so not all are identical in all aspects.
Some of the Wickes class were converted to APD's (high speed troop transports) during the second world war. Dent became APD-9, and Ward became APD16.
Wickes was part of the Lend Lease agreement and leased to England, and then broken up in 1945. On the morning of 7 December 1944, three years to the day after her Number Three Gun fired the opening shot of the war, Ward was patrolling off the Leyte invasion area (Ormoc Bay) when she came under attack by several Japanese aircraft. One bomber made a suicide crash into her hull amidships, bringing the ship to a stop. When the resulting fires could not be controlled, Ward's crew was ordered to abandon ship and she was sunk by gunfire from USS O'Brien (DD-725), whose Commanding Officer, William W. Outerbridge, had been in command of Ward during her action off Pearl Harbor three years before.

Regards,
Steamer

FritzGryphon
11-10-2006, 08:16 PM
Hull and superstructure seem to stay the same in a class, but everything else changes drastically.

Like Lex and Saratoga. Lex has 50cal, 23mm and naval cannons. Saratoga has 20mm, 40mm, and 5' flak.

But in-game they both have the 50cal and 23mm. That's a pretty drastic drop in firepower for the Saratoga.

dog-of-war
11-19-2006, 01:27 PM
fritzgryphon
what other ships have you made for this sim

FritzGryphon
11-19-2006, 02:25 PM
Ward, Lexington, Fletcher, Prince of Wales and Tirpitz. And B-17G plane.

joeap
11-19-2006, 02:42 PM
All fantastic models BTW. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/clap.gif

Nimits
11-19-2006, 05:43 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by FritzGryphon:
The original model (that I made, BTW), was the Ward. MG made new skins to make it look like other ships.

In fact, most of the ships in the game are that way. There is one ship in a class modeled, and the rest have different skins to add variety. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

How difficult is it to make a new skin for an existing ship?

FritzGryphon
11-19-2006, 06:48 PM
If it's a PSD with a seperate layer for the base colors, it'd be pretty simple.

Nimits
11-19-2006, 11:37 PM
Hmm. I've kept campaigning off and on for some PTO repaints of exist ETO ships (Kirov, Marat, etc.) to fill in the holes in the PF ship set, but never seem to get anywhere . . . Assuming it is relatively easy, a handful of guys could probably do it withou any trouble.

FritzGryphon
11-20-2006, 02:07 AM
That's if everyone made very neat layered PSDs. I didn't. I'm amazed they took the time to make the extra skins they did.

I hear BoB might allow skinning of vehicles and ships.