PDA

View Full Version : Anyone visited USAF museum at Dayton recently?

Stew278
10-01-2007, 07:24 PM
Some of you mentioned you planned on visiting the USAF museum in Dayton over the past weekend. For those that have been there lately, I had a few questions about the displays:

Was the Mig 29 on display yet? The website mentions "restoration is being completed while the aircraft is on display"

Was the Beaufighter on display?

How was the lighting? Last time the lights in the Air Power gallery were extremely dim and my photos were too dark to see anything.

I was there (2 years ago) and they didn't have either of those planes out. I really wanted to see those. I had planned on making another trip before winter hits, but if they aren't displayed yet I'll wait 'til spring.

Stew278
10-01-2007, 07:24 PM
Some of you mentioned you planned on visiting the USAF museum in Dayton over the past weekend. For those that have been there lately, I had a few questions about the displays:

Was the Mig 29 on display yet? The website mentions "restoration is being completed while the aircraft is on display"

Was the Beaufighter on display?

How was the lighting? Last time the lights in the Air Power gallery were extremely dim and my photos were too dark to see anything.

I was there (2 years ago) and they didn't have either of those planes out. I really wanted to see those. I had planned on making another trip before winter hits, but if they aren't displayed yet I'll wait 'til spring.

Snodrvr
10-01-2007, 08:02 PM
I went about a month ago, The lighting was much better. I don't recall a Mig-29 on display, I think I saw a Beaufighter but I can't be certain.

ElAurens
10-01-2007, 09:07 PM
The 29 and the Beau are both on display now.

Stew278
10-01-2007, 09:56 PM
Thank you

BRASSTURTLE
10-02-2007, 04:01 PM
I was lucky enough to be there last year when they were bringing the Beau into the hanger. Got some shots of it & the bubble top Jug outside. Also the A-36 & P-38 lined up with the Jug.

The lighting in the Air Power hanger is OK, but the Cold War(?) hanger was terrible. Black ceilings, what a bad idea. You still need lots of flash.

Spinnetti
10-02-2007, 07:43 PM
I was just there for the "dawn patrol" event (WWI flyin).. I think the displays are some of the best in the world (I've seen many in the US, Germany and a few around London).. But then again, I love the Luft stuff of which they have a great collection of my favorites... Pretty sure the mig was there, but I didn't take a picture of it.

jensenpark
10-02-2007, 09:37 PM
I think Zeus-cat (of the Hellhounds - and one of the better campaign builders in the community) actually works on site - or very near by.

Send him a PM...

Zeus-cat
10-07-2007, 01:17 PM
Sorry JP, I don't work there, but I do live fairly close. I didn't see the Beau the last time I was there (months ago). No idea on the Mig 29.

If someone really wanted to know they could call the museum and ask (check their website for the number). The museum is now called The National Museum of the United States Air Force.