PDA

View Full Version : What are the Landing and Take off speeds?

Can_Goose
08-18-2005, 11:02 PM
Has anyone compiled a list of landing and takeoff speeds for all flap settings for all the PF aircraft to date.The aircraft info that the program gives seems to be random for different aircraft.

Can_Goose
08-18-2005, 11:02 PM
Has anyone compiled a list of landing and takeoff speeds for all flap settings for all the PF aircraft to date.The aircraft info that the program gives seems to be random for different aircraft.

Maple_Tiger
08-19-2005, 02:35 AM
I guess it's just trial and error lol.

Kidding lol. Have you checked the read me for version 4.01m? I think the Corsair and Helcat have about 160km/h landing speed.

effte
08-19-2005, 03:50 AM
It will vary with weight and external ordnance as well, not only with flap setting.

In case of doubt, check the stall speed in landing configuration (Vs0) and use a Vref (approach speed) of 1.2-1.3 times Vs0.

pettera
08-19-2005, 05:21 AM
Take off speed: 200+. Flaps are seldom necessary unless heavy load or to short runway.

Take off speed on carrier: As fast as possible. Usually about 160+. Accelerates better without flaps but you need take-off or full flaps when you leave the deck. Otherwise you will ditch. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Landing speed: 150-200 depending on plane. Always full flaps. Don't forget gear down. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

Landing on carrier: 130-150. Difficult. Full flaps of course. Gear and hook is also helpfull.

I don't think exact figures are very important but I always seemed to land at to high speeds when I was new to IL2. I was afraid of stalling.
If you stall you usually have the option of full throtle and a new go. If it fails you die.

The difficult part of landing is when there is a big whole in the wing, control surfaces are out of use, wheels are shot off or fails to lower, out of fuel, windows splattered, etc. This is quite common and there are two good options:
1. Bail in friendly teritory if you believe landing will be to difficult. This will give half of your collected points.
2. Try to land. Usually you will need to land at slightly higher speed than normal to maintain control depending on your problem. But this can be risky and might get you killed.
Online it is usually OK to ask for "Clear the runway, damaged".

Petter

WOLFMondo
08-19-2005, 06:36 AM
There is no greater challenge to me than landing a busted up plane. Dunno why but I'd rather land it and leave a heap of broken metal on the runway than bail out.

Now that wing dropping thing has gone and planes stall properly you can actually land at the correct speeds. Most planes seem to be well under 100mph for there actualy touch down speed on land.