PDA

View Full Version : Great book i read.....

XyZspineZyX
10-24-2003, 09:16 PM
Hi guys I don't usually post in this forum but im a long time reader of the many interesting discussions that you guys never fail to produce, but thought I would share with you some quick thoughts on a book I recently read.Which is called "The Mighty Eighth" by Gerald Astor

What really knocked me out about this book was the fact that it was not unusual for 75 to 100 men to loose there lives on any given mission. Also the sacrifice that these chaps gave, fighting from a foreign land ie; England and then having to go over to Europe on 12hour plus missions with a 1 in 5 survival rate. I know that sounds like a boring History statistic you would here on any World War 2 history programme but when you think about it it's very humbling.

Another excellent feature of this book is the emphasis from the bomber and fighter crews of German Luftwaffe tactics. Ive been using combat Sims for many years now and not until I started reading these forums using IL2FB and reading this great book did I realise that German fighters had a vertical tactical preference because of the make and build of there engines Also the book is written with the real storys from crews of the b-24,b-17,p-47 and the p-51 Mustang. Well anyway threes loads more to this book than I can get across in these forums but I just thought I would share these briefs thoughts with you.

Cheers Uk-Mule.

XyZspineZyX
10-24-2003, 09:16 PM
Hi guys I don't usually post in this forum but im a long time reader of the many interesting discussions that you guys never fail to produce, but thought I would share with you some quick thoughts on a book I recently read.Which is called "The Mighty Eighth" by Gerald Astor

What really knocked me out about this book was the fact that it was not unusual for 75 to 100 men to loose there lives on any given mission. Also the sacrifice that these chaps gave, fighting from a foreign land ie; England and then having to go over to Europe on 12hour plus missions with a 1 in 5 survival rate. I know that sounds like a boring History statistic you would here on any World War 2 history programme but when you think about it it's very humbling.

Another excellent feature of this book is the emphasis from the bomber and fighter crews of German Luftwaffe tactics. Ive been using combat Sims for many years now and not until I started reading these forums using IL2FB and reading this great book did I realise that German fighters had a vertical tactical preference because of the make and build of there engines Also the book is written with the real storys from crews of the b-24,b-17,p-47 and the p-51 Mustang. Well anyway threes loads more to this book than I can get across in these forums but I just thought I would share these briefs thoughts with you.

Cheers Uk-Mule.

XyZspineZyX
10-24-2003, 09:48 PM
Yep, big ups the eighth, talking bout sacrifice what about german submariners. Anyone know their survival rate, i heard 1 in 10.

XyZspineZyX
10-24-2003, 09:52 PM
Lo mate,
Not read that one but an book I read that cannot be beaten for atmosphere an a good historical slant is "Tumult in the sky" by James Goodson. He finished the war as a POW, but also as on of the leading USAF aces, having been part of the "Double Eagles" Sqn that flew for both the RAF in the BOB and for the USAF once the USA joined the war.
If you don't read any other book on the European theatre fighter war read this one.

AHS_Kristorf

XyZspineZyX
10-24-2003, 10:11 PM
german submariners: approximately 40,000 men served in U-boats in WW2, about 30,000 of them lost their lives.

If you're interested in the U-Boat war (like me), I recommend a few good books: "Iron Coffins" by Herber Werner, "Das Boot" By Lothar-Gunther Buchheim, but best of all "Hitler's U-Boat War" by Clay Blair (that comes in two volumes).

Blair's book is extensive and incredibly detailed, and packed full of statistics. Some of his findings are also quite surprising.