PDA

View Full Version : Outside looking in

XyZspineZyX
09-13-2003, 05:21 PM
Hail,

I've been playing F1 Challenge.

This simulator game is incredible.

Anyway, I check this board on occasion and I still have IL2/FB on the hard drive.

From the outside looking in on the IL2/FB vocal community expressing themselves here and in the ORR board it seems obvious that there is a missunderstanding.

IL2/FB is not accurate.

IL2/FB has had enough time to prove accuracy, the ability to be accurate, and the determination to be accurate by the developers.

How can anyone say otherwise given the wide range of flight models presented during the life time of this game?

Accuracy is a word describing "freedom from mistake"

Many planes, if not all of them, have gone through a wide range of change from one extreme to another and the only way that can be considered accurate is if one takes into consideration the possible wide range of production tolerances produced during the war.

Since nailing down an accurate representation of each planes average or median performance abilities is not a concern of the developer (if it were then after this much time there would be at least some indication of such a concern) then something else determines what is produced. Something else is driving the changes in the flight models.

In other words, it seems clear to me after having had some time away from the sim, that efforts to prove performance error is a wasted effort. Unless such effort is viewed as the gaining of personal knowledge. Ubi/Oleg does not use such evidence to determine the flight model in the game.

As to what is used to determine the ever changing flight models in IL2/FB....

Your guess is as good as mine.

IL2/FB is still the best WWII air combat game around. But I am no longer entertaining the notion that it is nor will it ever be an accurate representation of historical fighter combat where the planes in the game have accurate relative performance abilities.

It would be nice if I were wrong.

JG14_Josf

XyZspineZyX
09-13-2003, 05:21 PM
Hail,

I've been playing F1 Challenge.

This simulator game is incredible.

Anyway, I check this board on occasion and I still have IL2/FB on the hard drive.

From the outside looking in on the IL2/FB vocal community expressing themselves here and in the ORR board it seems obvious that there is a missunderstanding.

IL2/FB is not accurate.

IL2/FB has had enough time to prove accuracy, the ability to be accurate, and the determination to be accurate by the developers.

How can anyone say otherwise given the wide range of flight models presented during the life time of this game?

Accuracy is a word describing "freedom from mistake"

Many planes, if not all of them, have gone through a wide range of change from one extreme to another and the only way that can be considered accurate is if one takes into consideration the possible wide range of production tolerances produced during the war.

Since nailing down an accurate representation of each planes average or median performance abilities is not a concern of the developer (if it were then after this much time there would be at least some indication of such a concern) then something else determines what is produced. Something else is driving the changes in the flight models.

In other words, it seems clear to me after having had some time away from the sim, that efforts to prove performance error is a wasted effort. Unless such effort is viewed as the gaining of personal knowledge. Ubi/Oleg does not use such evidence to determine the flight model in the game.

As to what is used to determine the ever changing flight models in IL2/FB....

Your guess is as good as mine.

IL2/FB is still the best WWII air combat game around. But I am no longer entertaining the notion that it is nor will it ever be an accurate representation of historical fighter combat where the planes in the game have accurate relative performance abilities.

It would be nice if I were wrong.

JG14_Josf

XyZspineZyX
09-13-2003, 05:31 PM
Now you may start enjoying FB. /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

....especially larger air battles, where individual aircraft innacuracies are not so easily visible. (larger battles than can be made by little QMB. Use the FMB)

*pause* I am still using 1.1beta, I hope you guys/guyettes saved it cos if the stories about Fb109 crippled and I~16 tank armour are true, I won't be downloading 1.11. /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-sad.gif