PDA

View Full Version : The best Stick

M4Sherman4
11-07-2007, 10:24 AM
Ok I am bored and it seems lots of people need help finding a good stick the only rules are

1http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_redface.gifnly talk about the sticks you have used.
2:dont fuss and fight.

M4Sherman4
11-07-2007, 10:24 AM
Ok I am bored and it seems lots of people need help finding a good stick the only rules are

1http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_redface.gifnly talk about the sticks you have used.
2:dont fuss and fight.

M4Sherman4
11-07-2007, 10:26 AM
I currently am using a

ST290:Pros it is tuff,easy to use and cost $20 at walmart.

cons: it hase very fuw buttons and is a little lite at the base.

Skunk_438RCAF
11-07-2007, 10:27 AM
Best stick I've ever used was a Sher-wood.

Waldo.Pepper
11-07-2007, 10:39 AM
I am modding the throttle portion of my X-52 this week in an effort to approach perfection. Will post some pictures when I am happy with it. The prototype I made is excellent. I just need to refine the ergonomics and some of the aesthetics to be pleased.

Divine-Wind
11-07-2007, 10:39 AM
Best stick I've ever used was a M$ FFB2. Solid as a heavy-duty plastic rock, and durable, it's fantastic coupled with the X52 throttle quad. My only gripe is that it's so friggin' huge - Takes up a quarter of my computer desk's space. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-tongue.gif

You should be able to find at least one on Ebay for a decent price.

T_O_A_D
11-07-2007, 10:51 AM
I really like my Microsoft Force feedback, But only because I'm able to match it up with CH Rudder Pedals and a X-45 for the throttle.

But this expensive thing has promise.

http://tarmac-aces.com/

Deedsundone
11-07-2007, 10:57 AM
In it heydays,TAC 2,second to none. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

na85
11-07-2007, 11:05 AM
I've used:

Logitech Extreme 3D Pro
Saitek X-52
MS Sidewinder FFB Pro

The one I've been most happy with? The Logitech. A lot of folks here don't like it, but I find the saitek is too "loose" on the x- and y-axes.

Lots of buttons (not as much as the X-52, obviously) and a nice, wide, stable base.

With a throttle quadrant and some pedals, this could be a sick setup.

fabianfred
11-07-2007, 11:14 AM
I've had three Logitechs...the Extreme 3D pro Force was the best....big heavy base and plenty of buttons....a wheel and two hat switches...and no return spring..

Now using the Saitek aviator AV8R...GREAT...plenty switches....two throttles (one I use for rudder trim right now)...I disabled the return spring

RedToo
11-07-2007, 11:18 AM
CH Fighter Stick or Combat stick - can't remember what it is called. Anyway the one with less buttons. It is excellent. Recommended. Before this I had an MS2 twisty stick. Liked that too. The MS stick is now on the second computer and when I go back to it I have no trouble with the twist rudder (CH pedals with the CH stick) but find it overly sensitive.

RedToo.

JG52_SoraAkuma
11-07-2007, 11:26 AM
Hmmmmmm, MSFFB2,X-45 throttle and CH Pedals, very interesting, I just might look into that, thanks. ~S~

Low_Flyer_MkIX
11-07-2007, 11:31 AM
Logitech pro FF stick & x45 throttle here.

Learning to fly again after so long with the x45 stick. Amazing what playing around with stick settings will do.

SlickStick
11-07-2007, 11:34 AM
I've used Logitech Wingman Extreme 3D, MS Sidewinder II, Saitek X-45 HOTAS and currently I'm using a Saitek X-52 HOTAS.

- The Logitechs had a very short lifespan for me (approximately 3-6 months) back in Jane's WWII Fighters and this game.

- I hated the Sidewinder II, as I felt the stick throw was too short, there was not much resistance in the stick movement, and I didn't like the button placements.

- The X-45 was excellent for about a year and a half, then the rocker switch for the rudder went. Saitek completely refurbished the stick for cost of shipping and I gave it to a friend when I got my X-52.

- I love the X-52. The stick centering for me is precise, it has many assignable buttons on three levels, it calibrates great and I find it to be the best stick that I've ever owned. I will most likely get the X-52 PRO someday, as the bang for the buck performance that the Saitek provides is more than adequate for my use.

Stew278
11-07-2007, 11:37 AM
So far while playing this sim I have used:

1) CH CombatStick (gameport)
2) Thrustmaster Top Gun Fox 2 Pro (USB)
3) Saitek X-52 (USB)

Of those my favorite was the CH CombatStick. The only reason I replaced it was because my new computer didn't have the provision for a gameport controller and one of the hat positions had stopped working. Nowadays I'd go for the CH Fighter Stick instead since it has more buttons available.

My second favorite would be the X-52. The Saitek isn't a bad stick, but I like it less than I did the CH. The X-52 throttle is much nicer than the CH ones I've tried though.

Ken-Ghost-King
11-07-2007, 11:51 AM
Ummmm lemme see http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

M4Sherman4
11-07-2007, 02:04 PM
Well I just ordered a X52 Pro. so i will tell yall what I think when I get it.

BrotherVoodoo
11-07-2007, 02:12 PM
CH all the way! I've purchased several in my day Saiteks, Microsoft and Cougar. IMO the most accurate stock stick out there is the CH Fighter Stick Pro. I also have the Pro Throttle, Pro pedals and Yoke. Unlike all of my other sticks in the closet, I do not regret the purchase of any of my CH products.

flockzap
11-07-2007, 03:08 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by T_O_A_D:
I really like my Microsoft Force feedback, But only because I'm able to match it up with CH Rudder Pedals and a X-45 for the throttle.

http://tarmac-aces.com/ </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

JEEESUUUUUUUUUSSSSS

bigbossmalone
11-07-2007, 03:16 PM
I've been using the Logitech Extreme 3D Pro for almost 3 years now, without any noticeable problems. About a year ago, it lost its left rudder inexplicably, I unplugged it and plugged back in, and the problem was gone with no repeat.
Many here have said they don't really rate it, because it doesn't last. Well, 3 years down the line, I'm really happy with it. Maybe I'm just lucky!
BTW, I've been thinking about getting the Logitech G25 Steering wheel and pedals, and have heard that it can be used for rudders as well. Can anyone confirm this, because the guys who are selling it don't seem to have a clue...?
Cheers

VMF-214_HaVoK
11-07-2007, 04:03 PM
Easy...CH Hotas with CH pedals.

S!

Bearcat99
11-07-2007, 04:22 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by T_O_A_D:
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

http://star.walagata.com/w/bearcat/100_2686_0.JPG

That is my setup as well only I modified my X-45 and changed my rudder pedals from CH to Saitek.. IMO the Saitek pedals are more comfortable.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JG52_SoraAkuma:
Hmmmmmm, MSFFB2,X-45 throttle and CH Pedals, very interesting, I just might look into that, thanks. ~S~ </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It is worth more than a look.. especially if you have an X-45 just sitting around... even before I modded my X-45 I used it as a button bay... as fior the best stick... hands down the MSFFB2.. that thing puts a timex to shame.

na85
11-07-2007, 04:22 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by bigbossmalone:
I've been using the Logitech Extreme 3D Pro for almost 3 years now, without any noticeable problems. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've had mine since 2005, no problems. What I wonder is if Logitech has a widely varying range of qualities? Not sure. I'm pretty hard on my stick and it's holding up well.

Urufu_Shinjiro
11-07-2007, 04:26 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by na85:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by bigbossmalone:
I've been using the Logitech Extreme 3D Pro for almost 3 years now, without any noticeable problems. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've had mine since 2005, no problems. What I wonder is if Logitech has a widely varying range of qualities? Not sure. I'm pretty hard on my stick and it's holding up well. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've seen enough reports like this to come to the same conclusion, it's a quality control issue with a large lean towards bad side. Most people think they are excellent stick, until they break, and unfortunately most break fast.

UgoRipley
11-07-2007, 04:48 PM
I've only used 2, so my experience is quite limited:
first one I had back some 12 years ago was the honourable Suncom F15 Talon Hotas.
Now I have a Thrustmaster Hotas COUGAR (with Evenstrain mod) + Simped Rudder...perfect (for me) !!
http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

GBrutus
11-07-2007, 05:45 PM

http://tarmac-aces.com/ </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Wow, cheers for the link. Looks like they are planning to do a whole range of replica sticks in the future. Tempting, very very tempting...

LEXX_Luthor
11-07-2007, 05:51 PM
This is largely a copy-paste poast of myself from another J thread -- the key to Super Ace high poast count status.

I have only used the Saitek Cyborg Graphite -- S.C.G.
http://content.vcommerce.com/products/11/4759011/main-150.jpg

It seems to be out of stock at the GoGamers but advance google saitek cyborg graphite

GoGamer~&gt; http://www.gogamer.com/Saitek-Cyborg-Graphite-Joystick-...444873VVviewprod.htm (http://www.gogamer.com/Saitek-Cyborg-Graphite-Joystick-Saitek_stcVVproductId4759011VVcatId444873VVviewpro d.htm)

When I got into simming several years ago, I found a few at (yuck) The WalMarts for about 20 dollars each.

(0) SCG is a true World War Two combat flight sim stick; rugged and simple. Build like a LaGG. I prefer the keyboard as a model for pilot/cockpit interface until somebody makes a flight sim keyboard that physically models a cockpit panel to replace the computer keyboard while simming. The common Pro Simmer joysticks, with everything on the stick or base, seem made for SuperJet or Space-Fighter sims.

(1) Largest common gaming joystick made.

(2) Giant titan sized base. Very heavy, stable on the table.

(3) Largest stick top throw distance of any joystick -- 6 inches -- compare with all others.

(4) Largest hat switch of any joystick made today -- compare with others. However, the diagonals don't work well for me, so I use it as a 4-way and not 8-way hat switch.

(5) Largest throttle of any joystick made, and smooth working.

(6) Only three stick top buttons but they are HUGE and offer great feedback click and feel.

(7) USB stick. Plug into computer and fly, configure in Windows if needed. No software comes with the stick, at least in my purchase.

(8) Extremely rugged with huge handgrip, large trigger, and strong feel (see below). I'm still banging away at the original stick I purchased several years ago. The only maintenence required is dusting every year or so. I have not yet opened a backup joystick I purchased.

(9) Made for the working class. GoGamer wants 13$ -- if they currently had it in stock. Try the WalMarts if you must. You can only lose a few dollars trying it.

Problems...

(1) As far as I know, the SCG is available in stores shelves only at The WalMarts, where I try not to shop.

This was my first joystick getting into The Sims a few years ago with Oleg's FB, because it looked like an inexpensive starter joystick. I eventually looked to upgrade to a popular or mainstream, and more expensive "Pro Simmer" joystick, but when I was in CompUSA and testing the feel of the common joysticks, they all had limited travel and all felt like a limp handshake or wet fish after having used the SCG for so long. I still use the SCG today.

BoCfuss
11-07-2007, 11:07 PM
MSFF 2, and the X-45 throttle,I use momo steering wheel as pedals. Only those who have used the MSFF Pro or 2 are aces. Be sure.

WOLFMondo
11-08-2007, 12:21 AM
Ch fighter stick. Indestructable and precise. It will out last all the other sticks mentioned in this threadhttp://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

M4Sherman4
11-08-2007, 08:47 AM
wow it seems no one has the same setup

horseback
11-08-2007, 05:01 PM
I've had a number of Logitech models used while playing Red Baron and the MSCFS sims, replaced those with a Sidewinder Precision Pro 2, and am now very happily operating a CH Combatstick, Pro Throttle, and Pro Pedals, supplemented with a Throttle Quad, and a Saitek Game Commander (buttons-I must have more buttons!).

I got the basic CH HOTAS setup over three years ago, and have yet to experience a glitch.

I have purchased a Saitek X52 and a set of their pedals in the past year, but I'm just not as happy with those as with the CH Products, so I sluff those off on my kids or guests when we do LAN coops...

cheers

horseback

falling-bird
11-09-2007, 03:58 PM
Nice timing for this thread...

My Saitek is sitting here on my desk juddering to itself with smoke coming out the base.

So how are the Logitechs?...

MOH_MADMAN
11-09-2007, 04:06 PM
No question, MSFFB2 is the best stick(is why I packrat five of them, two un-opened, and not a single one for salehttp://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif.
That stick, Saitek pedals, and Nostromo game pad setup works great for me.

MAD

Skoshi Tiger
11-09-2007, 04:09 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Stew278:
Of those my favorite was the CH CombatStick. The only reason I replaced it was because my new computer didn't have the provision for a gameport controller and one of the hat positions had stopped working. Nowadays I'd go for the CH Fighter Stick instead since it has more buttons available.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I just replaced my GamePort Combatstick with a usb Fighterstick.

In hindsight I think I should have preferred the usb CombatStick instead. I don't like the Thumb Four way switch. I have'nt played anthing but WWII sims for a lng time and I liked the single thumb push button button.

I guess I'll get use to it eventually.

JG52Uther
11-09-2007, 04:10 PM
My logitech attack3 is still going strong,and its over a year old.My X45 stick is working perfectly,after putting new pots in (free from saitek,out of warranty!).

Schwarz.13
11-10-2007, 06:34 PM
The Best Stick:

http://www.scan.co.uk/images/products/498829-A.jpg

It's what Iron-Works 'owns the skies' with (when his mum let's him play with it)! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

RAF74_Raptor
12-17-2007, 06:24 PM
I use CH Combatstick
X52 Throttle
Saitek Pedals
Saitek Throttle Quad coming soon ( I cant Wait)

DrHerb
12-17-2007, 06:32 PM
Got an X45 which is gasping its last breath, the throttle quadrant is still ok, doesnt give min/max power unless you force it into place, the joystick is starting to let go, but i have a MS Sidewinder Precision 2 set aside in case the x45 gives up the ghost

*EDIT* I ALMOST bought an X52, but i tried it out and it just felt so sloppy compared to the X45, not enough resistance imho, but then again what i tried was a demo piece on a counter of the pc store

CUJO_1970
12-17-2007, 06:51 PM
The best "budget" stick is hands down the Logitech Extreme 3D Pro. In fact, it has the best ergonomics and feel of any stick I've tried. Well built and rugged stick.

I have been completely underwhelmed by anything from Saitek, it's all been cheaply made and flimsy.

When I "break the bank" I will purchase CH Products.

tagTaken2
12-17-2007, 07:15 PM
To some extent it depends on which sim you favour... if you're a Falcon 4.0 nut, you'd have to go with X45, X52, TM Cougar just for the keystroke flooding.
For Il-2, it doesn't get much better than MSFFB2. IMHFO, the best 'feel' ever. Only issue is that the (good) software won't work with Vista, but who needs Vista?
I use MSFFB2 with TM Afterburner II and CH Pro Pedals. Two programmable sticks covers pretty much every combination I'll need.

TX-Gunslinger
12-17-2007, 07:50 PM
Since 2003 I've used:

a) Saitek single stick (can't remember model # but about $25.00)
b) Cougar HOTAS w/Uber II mod
c) Saitek X45 (picked up as a stick to use on travel)

I've had my Cougar for 4 years now, Uber II mod for about 2 - 2.5 years. With the Uber II mod - there is not another stick that can touch it - for IL2/LOMAC or any other flight sim. IMHO.

S~

Gunny

RAF74_Raptor
12-18-2007, 12:29 AM
Gunny Check your PM'S