PDA

View Full Version : Please give us more inventory space

Archaelion
03-28-2018, 06:11 PM
Hello, I am someone who is saving some loadouts which require different stats and obviously different gear. Also, I wanted to save some weapons and hilts for the appearance changes but I find I am out of space. I am collecting some legendary versions and while I can dust a few things here and there I come across new variants that I would like to keep and I feel like 60 inventory space isn't much. It sounds like a lot but across all item slots and loadouts it really isn't. Please consider bumping this number to at least 100. Thank you.

CandleInTheDark
03-28-2018, 06:59 PM
They have addressed this a few times on the Den, they are looking into a means of increasing space but it isn't as easy as changing a few numbers, there are limitations they have to work with with the technology around that.

They have always said never say never but there is nothing coming any time soon.

bob333e
03-29-2018, 01:23 PM
They have addressed this a few times on the Den, they are looking into a means of increasing space but it isn't as easy as changing a few numbers, there are limitations they have to work with with the technology around that.

They have always said never say never but there is nothing coming any time soon.

Throwing some thoughts on this:

- It's that easy for them to keep throwing in new outfits, effects, ornaments and more silly stuff every week without overloading the engine.

- It's that easy for them to keep adding recycled armor and weapons to the loot pool on every event or new season, without overloading the engine.

- It was that easy for them to implement a new stat tier for the gears, the diamond ones that can be refined, increasing the loot pool size by a large margin (permanently), without overloading the engine.

- It's that easy to make all effects previewable in the customization menu while being able to navigate quickly between the execution, combat, freeroam and idle tabs. Without overloading the engine.

- It's also that easy to keep the war map active in the background at all times no matter what menu you're in, and keeping those castle/mill/forge models fully animated, added to the Faction banners.

All of this takes considerably more weight than... 20 more inventory slots, or 2 more loadout slots.

Let me clarify my perspective a bit more. Increasing inventory size, increasing the number of loadout slots, or allowing gear transmog are things that directly benefit the player and do not really benefit the company in anything. They are not things that they can charge Steel for, or hype them into meaningful events (where they can then add stuff that costs Steel). They are a workload effort on their part without any real revenue for it. That's why they keep pushing these under the rug and not caring about addressing them. (which is also why they're being intentionally slow with the hero reworks and the arena mode because they can't charge Steel on those either).

They equally don't care how you'll struggle in storing gear, particularly while keeping the event-specific gears, because when you dismantle something for lack of inventory space, and then desire it again later on, there's only two ways to get it back: play matches in the hopes that RNGesus will grant it back to you, or spend Steel on crates in the hopes that RNGesus will grant it back to you. The company benefits in that the player is then forced to grind more to have a specific piece of gear back, hence playing their game and keeping gameplay activity on their servers, or might resort to buying Steel Packs in order to buy more crates.

Weekly content = company benefit, Steel purchases and microtransactions.
More effects can be previewed = company benefit, inciting the player to buy more effects, especially after separating the "emote" into "combat" and "freeroam". More Steel microtransactions.
Adding a new stat tier (refined) = company benefit, players will farm for that loot (gameplay activity) and will spend a lot of Steel to refine (hence the costs of refine gear). More potential Steel microtransactions.

Increasing inventory size = ?? how can they charge Steel for that. If they charge Steel for inventory capacity, they shot straight up to EA level. Which also nets them a level of public hatred severely matching EA's.
Allowing transmog = players farm less for gear or desired appearances. Overall potential less gameplay activity on their servers.

My take from this situation is one of the two things:

- Either the game is being plugged on Life Support through microtransactions (the more people buy Steel Packs, the more they can spend on improving the game and fixing its bugs), and it's been long canned by Ubisoft and kept running solely on a skeleton crew, or
- The dev team and Eric Pope included are trying to prove to Ubisoft executives that this title can and will generate a big revenue and more or less meeting their expectations, in an effort that Ubisoft executives will not shut down all development on this new IP by 2019 or something. (yeah, the dev team said they have a "multi-year plan", but what do the executives say about it? the devs are just instilling false hope in their playerbase because the devs themselves don't know what's on the horizon).

Sorry to sound like a partypooper.

Granted, you've probably heard a lot of times from a lot of people "this game is dead" or "this game will be dying quickly" and yet here it still stands; but they can only pull this bureaucratic gimmick for so long. The one year mark has already been passed. Think people will take another year of disconnects, poor balancing, bottlenecked inventory management, reward, and progression systems, lack of new (permanent) game modes, over-inflated ripoffs everywhere, and a myriad of bugs and technical issues?

Side note: I wouldn't directly compare For Honor to R6 Siege or The Division. Both R6 Siege and Division bear the Tom Clancy name. A name of colossal weight, importance, and reputation since the 90's. For Honor is a new flower.

Should they reveal some news about inventory capacity / transmog within 2 Dens (today's and next week's) and that they'll be addressed and dealt with this season, as well as the release of more reworks and the release of arena mode this season, then I take all of my above text back. Until then and otherwise, my above statements hold firm.

I'd very much like to hear / read something that will drastically change my stance about this game's overall health and the path it's travelling. Because I still believe in this game.

Sorry for the long text, and thanks for reading through.

SpaceJim12
03-29-2018, 02:33 PM
Sometimes I think Candle is just a "chill squad" of For Honor devs. He always try to smooth some hot topics about why devs didn't do this or that. And many cases this looks like poor excuses.

bob333e
03-29-2018, 03:56 PM
Sometimes I think Candle is just a "chill squad" of For Honor devs. He always try to smooth some hot topics about why devs didn't do this or that. And many cases this looks like poor excuses.

I don't blame Candle nor anybody on this forum. Candle is a friend. He, as well as many of us, remain hopeful about the future of this game. He wants to believe that this game will eventually bloom into its full potential. I remain hopeful, too. I'm just a bit more... raw.

If you do frequent this forum often, you'd notice Candle stated a lot of issues himself, and that his own enjoyment with the game isn't flawless. Opinions and perspectives differ, is all.

Vakris_One
03-29-2018, 04:19 PM
Or maybe he's just someone with a different opinion and outlook. Not everybody needs to be a glass half empty type of person, you know. I frequently wonder why it's so hard for people to just disagree with each other on here without someone insinuating that a difference of opinion means that a person is either a "fan boy" or a "hater".

Candle is merely passing on what the devs have said so far on the matter and keeping people up to date and Fady is expressing his opinion on what the devs reasons are.

CandleInTheDark
03-29-2018, 04:28 PM
I am neither on anyone's payroll nor under anyone's instructions as any kind of mouthpiece, I just know what the answer has been the last half dozen times or so this has been brought up and am passing that on.

Agree, disagree, whatever, if I know their current word on it then yeah I share that.

SpaceJim12
03-29-2018, 04:28 PM
I don't blame Candle

I don't blame anybody at all. Even devs, I believe, were in tough situation after not so good launch. But I share your opinion, cause I see a lot of things, that could prove the real unstable state of Foe Honor. Maybe it's happens just cause devs do not know where to transmettre their game, or maybe it's (as you said) cause devs need to to prove to Ubisoft executives that this title can and will generate a big revenue.
But as I wrote in some threads around, that devs need to rework whole customization system and add some good cosmetics to improve monetization.

As for my words about Candle, I just see him a lot times tried to smooth out talks about doubtful future of this game. I'm new on this forum, came not so long ago, but see this situation a lot already.

SpaceJim12
03-29-2018, 04:32 PM
Not everybody needs to be a glass half empty type of person, you know.

I don't want to offend someone. Even more, some opinions on this forum bring calm to my minds. I came here cause of big upset and rage about game state after S5.

bob333e
03-29-2018, 04:39 PM
@SpaceJim12

Understandable. Keep in mind, Candle is often on close communication with what the devs and Eric share, so he'd rather deliver you their word first, than his. On top of that, he's also a self-collected individual. He's not too quick to write an outburst of rant on the forum, which I have done like 3 times so far.

It's not that he smooth-talks; it's that he's seen such threads countless times since the game's release. He inherently knows it's ultimately what the devs say about the matter, so he cuts straight to the chase. And it's one of his qualities.

SpaceJim12
03-29-2018, 05:10 PM
Thanks, I'll keep that in mide.

Still, I really hope that we will see something like breath of fresh air in season 6. I like For Honor in spite of al issues it's have.

CandleInTheDark
03-29-2018, 06:28 PM
Highlighting what Fady said, I have done most of the Den recaps for the past year, I pay attention to what the community reps tell players and every few days I go through Eric's reddit history, so I tend to know what the devs are saying especially in topics that come up once every other month or so, in some occasions for near the past year.

That doesn't mean I have no opinions and there have been times where I have felt the devs have done things in a not great way and have had a rant post on it or a this is what I think is wrong and why kind of post. I am also more interested in some topics than others so in some, all I have to share is what the devs have said on it while in others I will give my own opinion on it. In this particular case I keep only what gear I am using and I don't know enough about the tech to say they are accurate or call them out on it other than that 40 extra units per character would be 720 extra units per player, I don't know how much a strain that would or would not be on their tech so I give the answer the devs give and explain that it is the devs' answer in doing so.

Vakris_One
03-29-2018, 08:31 PM
From my limited understanding of how inventory space works in an online game with thousands of players it seems to be a common issue. Destiny 1 had the same issue with people wanting more inventory space and the dev answer was the same as here, i.e. inventory space costs processing strain. I can't remember how long it took them but eventually they did increase storage space slightly. Elite Dangerous is a game that I know really well whose player base was also struggling with not having enough storage space for the huge amounts of crafting materials needed to mod their space ships. The devs over there also stated that it's not as easy as just adjusting numbers on a screen because those those items will remain persistent in the player's inventory and that adds more processing strain on the users hardware.

In the last big update the Elite Dangerous devs managed to increase the inventory space by a huge amount, giving every individual piece of crafting material its own storage limit (from 100 to 300 depending on the rarity of the material) as apposed to having a shared limit of 1000 which was forcing the players to keep just 10-15 or so pieces from over 30 different materials. Maybe the ED developers found a way to cheat around the limits on processor strain, I don't know enough about the tech to understand how it works. Elite Dangerous is on peer 2 peer and Destiny 1 was on dedicated servers, that might also mean something for inventory space. The proficiency of the developers at understanding and working with the pros and cons of their own engine is also a factor and may dictate the speed with which they can make improvements such as increased inventory space.

That's my 2 Centurions worth.