PDA

View Full Version : Great Book on Leonardo, Machiavelli, and Borgia

Wiltonsjs
08-17-2010, 03:43 PM
For those who are interested, there's a great book providing the "real" story on the history of these 3 guys and how they really did work together in the early 16th century. It's called "The Artist, the Philosopher, and the Warrior", by Paul Strathern.

The book is well written, provides good back-story on these amazing gents...and background on others like Catherine Sforza and the Pazzis. Ubisoft was indeed correct when they said Assassin's Creed 2 and the Brotherhood are based on historical events. While we are all waiting for the Brotherhood, take a few hours to read some of the "actual" history!

Wiltonsjs
08-17-2010, 03:43 PM
For those who are interested, there's a great book providing the "real" story on the history of these 3 guys and how they really did work together in the early 16th century. It's called "The Artist, the Philosopher, and the Warrior", by Paul Strathern.

The book is well written, provides good back-story on these amazing gents...and background on others like Catherine Sforza and the Pazzis. Ubisoft was indeed correct when they said Assassin's Creed 2 and the Brotherhood are based on historical events. While we are all waiting for the Brotherhood, take a few hours to read some of the "actual" history!

primerib69
08-17-2010, 03:52 PM
Hahaha nice find broski! But remember, unless we had CNN or NBC in their time period recording everything that those 3 did, most of this is still speculation. I will reserve the book at my library and read it.

Wiltonsjs
08-18-2010, 06:55 AM
No video record, that's for sure. But like any good author of historical non-fiction Strathern has carefully researched his subjects through all sorts of written records (no surviving audio tapes, either ;-). And, its main theses are consistent with other works on the subjects...many written by their contemporaries. What I found really fascinating was how well the AC2 developers researched the period and wove certain "known" events into the plot line. Remember Catherine Sforza on the battlements of Forli telling the enemy they can kill her kids (that were being held hostage) because "I have the equipment to make more" as she raised her skirts? Actually happened, dude!

SteelCity999
08-18-2010, 11:43 AM
Funny you bring up this book as I am reading it right now. I am only about 70 pages into it but it is written very well - it is only hard to follow because of all the backstabbing and political shuffling going on. Speculation it is not, btw. He clearly states his points that there is not sufficient evidence about. This is one time in history where therre is alot of evidence because people were writing alot and observing everything. Machiavelli wrote about Florence in great detail as did many others. And it is shocking to see how many small yet somewhat trivial real-life historical facts have made its way into AC.

Ru1986
08-19-2010, 02:07 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by primerib69:
Hahaha nice find broski! But remember, unless we had CNN or NBC in their time period recording everything that those 3 did, most of this is still speculation. I will reserve the book at my library and read it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

O dear you dont seriously believe everything CNN tell you do you?? Books hold far more weight in truth than anything the idiot box will tell you. Turn of your TV and read mate. Thats almost as bad as saying the BBC never lie, CNN are the worst for it though, corprate ********.

EDIT: On more posotive note the authour Strathern is brilliant he wrote the Medici book too which is very very good.

primerib69
08-19-2010, 03:40 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ru1986:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by primerib69:
Hahaha nice find broski! But remember, unless we had CNN or NBC in their time period recording everything that those 3 did, most of this is still speculation. I will reserve the book at my library and read it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

O dear you dont seriously believe everything CNN tell you do you?? Books hold far more weight in truth than anything the idiot box will tell you. Turn of your TV and read mate. Thats almost as bad as saying the BBC never lie, CNN are the worst for it though, corprate ********.

EDIT: On more posotive note the authour Strathern is brilliant he wrote the Medici book too which is very very good. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hahahaha! That's not what I meant! I meant like, there was no one there to record everything that happened on camera. And of course I don't believe in them! Especially not Fox. Ya boiii doesn't watch News anyway.

Ru1986
08-19-2010, 05:41 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ru1986:

EDIT: On more posotive note the authour Strathern is brilliant he wrote the Medici book too which is very very good. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hahahaha! That's not what I meant! I meant like, there was no one there to record everything that happened on camera. And of course I don't believe in them! Especially not Fox. Ya boiii doesn't watch News anyway. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ok fair do's. The opnly thing i will say is books tend to hold more truth in fact than cameras do simply because camera tricks are so easy to pull off nowadays. All im saying is i would believe a book written at the time (by Macheivelli for example) on a fact rather than a Camera filming something renacted hundreds of years after the event.

CherokeeInferno
08-19-2010, 06:51 PM
Another book that really provides good information on the Renaissance and the people of the Renaissance (Medici, Borgia, Machiavelli, Da Vinci, Magellen, Pope Julius II, Erasmus, Luther, Calvin, etc) in a captivating fashion is the book "A World Lit Only By Fire". I had to read this for my AP Euro class, and it really helped me score a 5!

Ru1986
08-20-2010, 04:16 AM
Not herd of that one Inferno but will check it out thanks for the advice.

thekyle0
08-20-2010, 09:35 AM
I've previewed this book on Google Books and highly recommend it for those who enjoy learning history in a narrative form, as seen in "Empires at Sea" by Roger Crowley or "The Ghosts of Cannae" by Robert L. O'Connell. I'll be picking it up myself as soon as possible. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif
Ok fair do's. The opnly thing i will say is books tend to hold more truth in fact than cameras do simply because camera tricks are so easy to pull off nowadays. All im saying is i would believe a book written at the time (by Macheivelli for example) on a fact rather than a Camera filming something renacted hundreds of years after the event. </div></BLOCKQUOTE> You should be careful with that outlook. Books, or literature/writing of any form, can be just as deceptive as what you see on television or even hear on radio. For example, "Sinners in the Hands of an Angry god" by Jonathan Edwards was so convincing that people went hysterical with fear; some even killed themselves.

samward
08-20-2010, 01:33 PM
Just ordered it! I am really excited to read it. One of the many things i love about AC is that it is biased in history. And i love history, old history the most....ok anyway, i digress... thanks for the book title http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif