PDA

View Full Version : Why is there this love for tracking?

IAmOddGirl
03-23-2018, 03:22 AM
These moves keep on getting implemented with tracking features like I'll dodge a Centurion's jumping heavy and he will TURN MID AIR to get me. Or shaman's tackle it's like I have to get that precise window of time to avoid it. The problem I see with that is again..characters providing their user with a kit that takes less effort to win. Turn this game into some casual arcade and watch it die. Skill ceilings and gaps are a very good thing for games and I rarely see them anymore. Halo 2 and 3 had a severe skill gap, but that makes a good player out of you lol. If the win is halfway handed to you then it took no skill to get it.

bob333e
03-23-2018, 03:39 AM
Why is there this love for tracking?

You said it right there.

For Tracking. ;)

Jokes aside though, you have a point. Some attacks in this game (and lo and behold most of them belonging to DLC heroes) have far better tracking that make it easier to land the win. The biggest joke of which is Shaman's Wildcat Rage, along with broken attack indicators too. Her WCR is worse than her Predator Mercy / Hunger.

Actually, the problem with Predator Mercy isn't the tracking; it's that it can be cancelled and then re-initiated to catch you during dodge recovery. So you have that very small window to dodge soon as the unblockable icon pops up and you see her arms spreading. And should it miss, it can be re-initiated again within a relatively small timeframe.

In the case of Shaman's Predator Mercy, your best bet is to exercise pressure, rather than focusing on dodging. Dish out light attacks / running attacks if she's trying to gain range first.

It's also worth noting, with the season 5 patch, some command input discrepancies started popping, including but not limited to, zone attack input, dodge input, etc. And the release of dedicated servers introduced more lag for a lot of people and we're all waiting for the lag comp system to kick in. It's possible what you've been experiencing is lag / latency.

I miss Halo. It was actually the main inspiration behind my username; you can see why.

Knight_Raime
03-23-2018, 12:25 PM
You said it right there.

For Tracking. ;)

Jokes aside though, you have a point. Some attacks in this game (and lo and behold most of them belonging to DLC heroes) have far better tracking that make it easier to land the win. The biggest joke of which is Shaman's Wildcat Rage, along with broken attack indicators too. Her WCR is worse than her Predator Mercy / Hunger.

Actually, the problem with Predator Mercy isn't the tracking; it's that it can be cancelled and then re-initiated to catch you during dodge recovery. So you have that very small window to dodge soon as the unblockable icon pops up and you see her arms spreading. And should it miss, it can be re-initiated again within a relatively small timeframe.

In the case of Shaman's Predator Mercy, your best bet is to exercise pressure, rather than focusing on dodging. Dish out light attacks / running attacks if she's trying to gain range first.

It's also worth noting, with the season 5 patch, some command input discrepancies started popping, including but not limited to, zone attack input, dodge input, etc. And the release of dedicated servers introduced more lag for a lot of people and we're all waiting for the lag comp system to kick in. It's possible what you've been experiencing is lag / latency.

I miss Halo. It was actually the main inspiration behind my username; you can see why.

WCR's tracking entirely depends on it's direction. For instance. the forward WCR has amazing back tracking but poor side to side tracking. left WCR catches left dodges well but not right or forward. and so on. This is probably further enforced by the fact that each direction has a different speed of attack as well. Looking at WCR I think the design intent was rather it is a move you don't simply trump from blocking/parrying. that your better off dodging/punishing in some other fashion. Would also explain why it's so highly telegraphed and thus why the ability to cancel it and pounce.

Unfortunately though WCR is pretty garbage along with bite. As you can block left (the fastest direction) and comfortably react block to the other 2 directions. and preds mercy has to be done close enough to not give your opponent room to react. But it's so easy to tell at that point that a raw bite is coming that you dodge it majority of the time anyway. and if your opponent knows it's coming? you get lighted out of it.

Honestly shaman is such a major disappointment to me. She seemed to have everything a week or 2 in to her release. But she's just so easily dismantled now by a patient player that it saddens me. Since season 5's drop i've only lost 1 game to her and that's literally because I was playing someone I hadn't built reflexes with. Her unblockable side heavy mix up is also trash btw. any hero that blocks her WCR into it (the most common way it's done) can back dash away and be out of range for both the unblockable or the GB soft cancel. (well. like 3 heros can't. but still) she has to hit stun you to even force a reaction with it and even then it's so slow and telegraphed it only catches people who panic.

Don't even get me started on how hard it is to bleed someone with her.
I can see how she might still be a threat to someone in a team fight. but in any 1v1 she crumbles to a good player. Easily.

SpaceJim12
03-23-2018, 12:40 PM
Well, past days I felt funny, when saw Shinobi, who just turn on 180 degrees while sliding on the ground or Warlords, who jumped to you 90 degrees across wall corner.
Dedicated servers should help with it, but...they didn't.

Vakris_One
03-23-2018, 02:39 PM
it's like I have to get that precise window of time to avoid it.
Isn't that sort of the point though? I mean, characters have had tracking on certain moves since launch. I can agree that most of the DLC heroes have excessive levels of tracking that almost attach them to their target like a magnet - the reworked Kensei's zone also got given this magnet effect which I think is not a good thing.

The moves are still dodgeable but I do think the "magnet effect" needs to be toned down and brought back to the level that the vanilla heroes had before any of the DLC characters came out with their superior magnetic tracking.

BTTrinity
03-23-2018, 03:51 PM
The tracking thing started when they "Fixed" unlock exploit by basically making you snap to your target whenever u attack.

One problem fixed, another introduced.

Protos_88
03-23-2018, 04:07 PM
why is so much love for spam gb, dodge, and assasins...??can someone's answers?

DoodTheMan
03-23-2018, 10:33 PM
If they were gonna nerf tracking they'd better nerf dodge attacks too.

IAmOddGirl
03-24-2018, 11:25 AM
With my Berzerker the Shaman isn't as bad to fight. but with my Lawbringer ugh,,,,,,I still get wins on her, but only when I'm really like sitting up in my chair and I didn't work that day lol. Lately If I get home and Im exhausted it's gonna have to be an assassin day.

swiss_soldier_1
03-24-2018, 01:50 PM
Well, past days I felt funny, when saw Shinobi, who just turn on 180 degrees while sliding on the ground or Warlords, who jumped to you 90 degrees across wall corner.
Dedicated servers should help with it, but...they didn't.

wait what? warlord's jump has one of the worst trackins in the game. so often I jump to help a teammate just to find myself nowhere near the fight, just to jump again and result? same. if they even slightly move you cant do anything with warlord's jump attacks.

he need to either be at the same level with the others, or better, the other have to be brought down to his

Jarl.Felix
03-24-2018, 02:33 PM
Because without insane tracking button mashers noobs like shamans, zerkers etc. cant win in this game. This will result in a huge playerbase drop. And this game, due to devs amateurish cant afford this.