PDA

View Full Version : Audio Cues

Lyleator
01-18-2011, 10:09 AM
So unlike many games it becomes much more difficult to play AC:B Multiplayer when you have your sound muted because of the array of audio cues that give clues to you.

Of course, these aren't official listed in the manual so it's up to everyone to discover what they mean for themselves - so what are they all, and when do we hear them? Let's collaborate

Whispers - the echoey voices that quietly haunt your mind as your pursuer nears you. Could this happen as they have a clear Line of Sight on you, since I've heard the whispers when my pursuer was quite a ways away.

Heartbeat - the counterpart to the Whispers: the thumping of your target's heart drowns out the majority of other sounds as you near your target. Accompanied by a full compass, so not as important as other sounds.

Hidden Target - a 'keeorr' sound that rings out (non-onomatopoeic sounds are hard, ok! Squiidish mentions it in his Action Beard video so go hear it there). Apparently it happens when your target becomes 'Hidden' so either pops a Disguise or blends in a crowd/bench/haystack?

Locked On - a clicking sound that means someone is focusing their hidden gun on you. Break off their line of sight immediately!

I swear there's another that's, like, a dull thrum, although it could just be part of the soundtrack... that's what makes some of these difficult to notice.

Anyone else got more / care to elaborate on those mentioned?

Lyleator
01-18-2011, 10:09 AM
So unlike many games it becomes much more difficult to play AC:B Multiplayer when you have your sound muted because of the array of audio cues that give clues to you.

Of course, these aren't official listed in the manual so it's up to everyone to discover what they mean for themselves - so what are they all, and when do we hear them? Let's collaborate

Whispers - the echoey voices that quietly haunt your mind as your pursuer nears you. Could this happen as they have a clear Line of Sight on you, since I've heard the whispers when my pursuer was quite a ways away.

Heartbeat - the counterpart to the Whispers: the thumping of your target's heart drowns out the majority of other sounds as you near your target. Accompanied by a full compass, so not as important as other sounds.

Hidden Target - a 'keeorr' sound that rings out (non-onomatopoeic sounds are hard, ok! Squiidish mentions it in his Action Beard video so go hear it there). Apparently it happens when your target becomes 'Hidden' so either pops a Disguise or blends in a crowd/bench/haystack?

Locked On - a clicking sound that means someone is focusing their hidden gun on you. Break off their line of sight immediately!

I swear there's another that's, like, a dull thrum, although it could just be part of the soundtrack... that's what makes some of these difficult to notice.

Anyone else got more / care to elaborate on those mentioned?

DraconicDak
01-18-2011, 10:13 AM
Charge/Speed Boost make a whooshing sound.

Leaps of Faith have audio cues.

I think you can hear the sound of throwing knives whistling through the air.

ClassicNuke
01-18-2011, 10:14 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DraconicDak:

I think you can hear the sound of throwing knives whistling through the air. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Obvious troll is obvious.

Lyleator
01-18-2011, 10:17 AM
All true, but I'm talking about audio cues (just between the target and the pursuer) instead of sound effects (anyone there can hear it).

You could be right about throwing knives though. They do make their own unique sound, but I'm not sure if only the target / thrower can hear them

DraconicDak
01-18-2011, 10:26 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ClassicNuke:
Obvious troll is obvious. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Any audio helps if you know what you're doing. The Leap sound can help in Adv. Wanted if your target just jumped while you were climbing after them, for example.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Lyleator:
All true, but I'm talking about audio cues (just between the target and the pursuer) instead of sound effects (anyone there can hear it).

You could be right about throwing knives though. They do make their own unique sound, but I'm not sure if only the target / thrower can hear them </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I was playing the other day, and a Pursuer threw a knife into an NPC next to me. I heard a pretty distinctive "shing!" sound.

I hear a lot of beeps and computer trills playing, I just haven't figured out what they are. I think being locked onto gives you a subtle sound, different from someone aiming a gun at you.

ClassicNuke
01-18-2011, 10:31 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DraconicDak:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ClassicNuke:

Any audio helps if you know what you're doing. The Leap sound can help in Adv. Wanted if your target just jumped while you were climbing after them, for example. It's kind of like deep, short sound though. Like a horn.

Yes, I have also experienced this locking sound.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Lyleator:

You could be right about throwing knives though. They do make their own unique sound, but I'm not sure if only the target / thrower can hear them </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I was playing the other day, and a Pursuer threw a knife into an NPC next to me. I heard a pretty distinctive "shing!" sound.

I hear a lot of beeps and computer trills playing, I just haven't figured out what they are. I think being locked onto gives you a subtle sound, different from someone aiming a gun at you. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Rainie
01-18-2011, 10:43 AM
When my pursuer is on the roof I can hear their footsteps if they're close to me

DraconicDak
01-18-2011, 10:48 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by kriticalraine:
When my pursuer is on the roof I can hear their footsteps if they're close to me </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Is that just your own Pursuers? That's incredibly helpful info if it is.

SilverStardust
01-18-2011, 11:54 AM
Throwing knives do make a "shing!"-like noise. I use them quite frequently and while I didn't notice that at first, I did after a while. That's as the thrower, anyway. I think I remember hearing it before when hit by knives but it came too quickly before being hit to really react.

E-Zekiel
01-18-2011, 12:48 PM

I think you can hear the sound of throwing knives whistling through the air. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

More obvious troll is more obvious.

DeanOMiite
01-18-2011, 12:55 PM
The game didn't program these to be specific warnings like they did with the whispers, but I find that, especially on rooftops when I'm occasionally up there, FOOTSTEPS get louder as a target approaches you. This can be good if the whispers aren't particular loud (I believe if your pursuer is close but doesn't see you like if there's an obstruction or something) to help you know someone is near by. At the same time, you can hear the scraping of foot against wall as someone climbs a wall near you. When I hear these sounds accompanied by whispers and/or the knowledge that my pursuer is close, I bolt. I've always found that being able to listen for stuff like this makes me a better player in every game I play.

DeanOMiite
01-18-2011, 12:56 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by SilverStardust:
Throwing knives do make a "shing!"-like noise. I use them quite frequently and while I didn't notice that at first, I did after a while. That's as the thrower, anyway. I think I remember hearing it before when hit by knives but it came too quickly before being hit to really react. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

They do...the only thing about that is if you hear that sound, it's already too late...kinda like the sound of the gun-lock if you aren't RIGHT next to a corner that happens to obstruct your pursuer's view of you.

EQWashu
01-18-2011, 07:46 PM

Anyone else got more / care to elaborate on those mentioned? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

huh, I thought Hidden Target/Locked on were opposite. I always hear that klaxonish noise prior to being killed with a gun.

Lyleator
01-18-2011, 08:57 PM
How do you mean 'opposites'?

EQWashu
01-19-2011, 11:57 AM
I thought Locked On was 'keeoor" and Hidden target was that clinking sound.