PDA

View Full Version : Why did Ubi choose these multiplayer characters?

LibertyTree34
01-16-2011, 08:33 PM
I guess this isn't really a complaint as it doesn't really take anything from the gameplay but I don't get why Ubisoft chose the players it did for multiplayer. I understand that a lot of people love playing the villain in multiplayer games but they should at least have the option of having a few assassins/good guys in the mix. I know I'd really love to play as Machiavelli or Da Vinci. And even if they insist on only templars why do they pick insignificant ones instead of more major characters like the Borgia. I mean, Ezio (spoiler warning I guess) stabs the **** out of Il Carnifice in a mission that lasts maybe a minute and should not pose the slightest challenge for an even remotely skilled player. I don't get why much cooler and more important NPCs in ACB get snubbed while totally insignificant characters get a spot.

LibertyTree34
01-16-2011, 08:33 PM
I guess this isn't really a complaint as it doesn't really take anything from the gameplay but I don't get why Ubisoft chose the players it did for multiplayer. I understand that a lot of people love playing the villain in multiplayer games but they should at least have the option of having a few assassins/good guys in the mix. I know I'd really love to play as Machiavelli or Da Vinci. And even if they insist on only templars why do they pick insignificant ones instead of more major characters like the Borgia. I mean, Ezio (spoiler warning I guess) stabs the **** out of Il Carnifice in a mission that lasts maybe a minute and should not pose the slightest challenge for an even remotely skilled player. I don't get why much cooler and more important NPCs in ACB get snubbed while totally insignificant characters get a spot.

GAOStarr
01-16-2011, 08:54 PM
I guess it's because they wanted to give some credit to those smaller and less noticable characters.

Also, I used to be annoyed by this, but then I realized that we're Abstergo Employees; therefore, we are Templars. All of the "bad guys" were Templars. So, it does make sense.

But I definitely see where you're coming from because I hate running around as the bad guy. lol

robinzx
01-16-2011, 08:58 PM
I guess some of it has to do with ubi's strategy of expanding the franchise horizontally. E.g. they probably think having these MP characters that tie in to Project Legacy makes the story more complete for people who care..?! I for one went to AC wiki and looked up Flora Cavazza after I realized there was an entire storyline there.

obliviondoll
01-16-2011, 09:01 PM
You're meant to be a Templar given the story behind MP.

I think it's better not to have the big-name characters, personally, for the same reason Ezio shouldn't be there.

Cesare has a big fanbase, and anyone who DOESN'T like him thinks he's awful.

All the MP characters have a decent fanbase of players who like them, an anti-fanbase of players who dislike them, and a fairly large group of players who aren't particularly swayed either way.

The big-name characters are love/hate without that middle ground. And they've got more established motivation/style than the side characters we play as - in MP the PLAYERS define how the person behaves - Everyone knows the prowler is a runner - may not have been how Ubisoft intended it, but that's how he's recognised, because WE made him that way.

Players can't be trusted to define the main villains in their game - Cesare would be cool to have, but I feel like he just wouldn't fit, somehow.

DraconicDak
01-16-2011, 10:46 PM
If you wanna get technical, the Courtesan, Fiora, eventually allies with the Assassins. I've wondered if her Elite gear being mostly black is a clumsy Templar attempt to disguise her betrayal to the Abstergo employees.

SilverStardust
01-16-2011, 10:48 PM
Play Project Legacy. You'll see that there's much more importance to the MP characters than shown in Brotherhood.

Also Fiora is awesome <3

CharDude
01-16-2011, 10:54 PM
They were chosen to reflect, or at least imitate, core groups from the game itself. That, and Ubi has given them hefty back stories, but you'll have to play Project Legacy, or check out the Assassin's Creed Wiki. It's pretty intriguing, the story is interesting, although it's revolved around a treacherous ho-bag that sucks hardcore.

Fiorra Cavazza is a ***** bimbo. I'm glad she died. Just slapping that out there.

(Story was very interesting, I have strong opinions on it.http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif)

robinzx
01-17-2011, 12:06 AM
Didn't Fiora Cavazza end up killing most of the other MP characters.

Any idea what the deal with the thief's "promise"? She killed her brother?

CharDude
01-17-2011, 02:18 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by robinzx:
Didn't Fiora Cavazza end up killing most of the other MP characters.

Any idea what the deal with the thief's "promise"? She killed her brother? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Actually she went with the coward route, and whined to the assassin's the "lifestyle" she chose was "wrong", so she let them kill everyone else as she wanted to ride the (you know) of the Assassin's SOOOO BADLY. Loser.

As far as the Thief goes....I'd have to guess she was unable to protect her brother from getting killed?

FearlessSpeach
01-17-2011, 03:11 AM
UBI gave us these characters because the hellequin is awesome, but they couldn't justify the SP campaign being about her, so they gave us an entire new mode to use her to inflict pain and agony on people.

Or all that mumbo jumbo dolly said about fan bases and stuff.

Also, I believe firmly in a final solution for all people who play the footpad.

Neros5555
01-17-2011, 04:42 AM
If you played SP and completed the Templar Agents missions and read the Database entries shortly after, you'll notice that Shaun (or is it Sean?) makes note that some of those entries made by Abstergo are rather recent thus hinting towards multiplayer.

Btw, playing as the Templars is quite a change from boring Assassin's with their eagle hoods and hidden blades, I mean, whats could possibly be unique to each assassin? ALL OF THEM USE HIDDEN BLADES! Sure there could be SOME variation to the kills, like stabbing him in the neck instead of their back, or stabbing them in the chest instead of stabbing him multiple times in the abdomen.

Btw, to play as the 'main' villains from SP would kinda defeat the purpose of the TRAINING program made by Abstergo that which we know as Multiplayer, as playing as the main, or in your terms, much 'cooler' villains, wouldn't make much sense because do you see any of the main villains (e.g Rodrigo, Cesare, his sister ) assassinate anyone? No, because they get other people to assassinate their victims for them! Que Templar Agents we see in Multiplayer.

BeCk41
01-17-2011, 05:10 AM
Umm hello? Because their so badass obviously! In a lot of the games I've played, I have always been 'the good guy/girl'. I think it's refreshing that Ubisoft created these roles for multiplayer that fit into the story as much as they do. I know a lot of players dread "being bad", but it's all apart of the experience to do and try something new in the genre! I like it because it gives a feeling of ;ok this is what it's like being bad instead of good role playing, it differ's from anything I've seen in a while. I do agree that there should be maybe a few "good" characters, but that would discriminate from all of the other unique characters Ubisoft has already provided for players, and no one would play them otherwise. They would all pick to be good, instead of bad. Personally I think being bad is more fun (there's usually repercussions when ur good). http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/icon_twisted.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/halo.gif
*BTW- All of the characters you see in the game are mean't to be the ULTIMATE BAD GUY's, corrupted and everything (that's why they don't show emotion, or remorse. The Templar groups are just an excuse to justifyingly fit the multiplayer aspect into the game. Maybe Ubisoft thought it would appeal to gamer's more if they were playing the type of characer's Ezio faces constantly throughout Brotherhood.

Naeddyr
01-17-2011, 05:25 AM
We play the templars because it makes more sense that Abstergo, the big, rich company behind Animus technology, would be one with the resources to pull of something like the huge Templar training program. And the Assassins... Don't really need something like that, do they? Well, presumably most assassin's are already trained, plus they are in the middle of a life-and-death battle with Abstergo at this very moment, so they wouldn't have time for huge LAN parties like Abstergo, who probably have huge resources of people to draw on.

Plus, this way there is a certain pathos, as we, the player, contribute to the eventual doom of the Assassins by creating their enemies. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

EDIT:

god dammit ubisoft now you're making me typo assassins as assassin's

BeCk41
01-17-2011, 05:31 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Naeddyr:
We play the templars because it makes more sense that Abstergo, the big, rich company behind Animus technology, would be one with the resources to pull of something like the huge Templar training program. And the Assassins... Don't really need something like that, do they? Well, presumably most assassin's are already trained, plus they are in the middle of a life-and-death battle with Abstergo at this very moment, so they wouldn't have time for huge LAN parties like Abstergo, who probably have huge resources of people to draw on.

Plus, this way there is a certain pathos, as we, the player, contribute to the eventual doom of the Assassins by creating their enemies. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

EDIT:

god dammit ubisoft now you're making me typo assassins as assassin's </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You simplified it to a simplistic, realistic approach http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

SilverStardust
01-17-2011, 09:33 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by CharDude2010:
Actually she went with the coward route, and whined to the assassin's the "lifestyle" she chose was "wrong", so she let them kill everyone else as she wanted to ride the (you know) of the Assassin's SOOOO BADLY. Loser.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Actually that's really not true. It's made pretty clear from the start of Fiora's memories in PL that she does not want to be a courtesan ("I am a fine wine served in a low-class tavern") and wants out of there. She works to make contacts and eventually meet someone who will permanently take her away from there, and that person happens to be Cesare.

As you go through the recruiting memories she begins to find things more distasteful, with the last straw being when she's sent to track down Malfatto (the Doctor). Which is understandable - he is extremely creepy and preys upon women, particularly courtesans, and Cesare tells Fiora to wear her old courtesan dress in order to attract his attention. And of course he attacks her, and then later breaks into her room and tries to kill her.

Now, if the person you were working for sent you to find someone who was a predator and a murderer, and you were exactly the sort of person he preyed upon, would you want to work with that person anymore? No. There's a reason why the summary for that memory says "Cesare is testing my loyalty, but he may soon find he has destroyed what little I had left". He completely destroys the trust and loyalty she had in him, and she turned to the Assassins to 1) survive and 2) get vengeance for his betrayals. Nowhere is she apologetic nor claim that what she did was wrong (in fact, she seems to want to hide how much involvement she had), she did not want all of them to die but understood the necessity of it to bring down Cesare, and she stood back because the Assassins told her to.

Do you play the Prowler, by any chance? http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

LibertyTree34
01-17-2011, 02:08 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Neros5555:
Btw, playing as the Templars is quite a change from boring Assassin's with their eagle hoods and hidden blades, I mean, whats could possibly be unique to each assassin? ALL OF THEM USE HIDDEN BLADES! Sure there could be SOME variation to the kills, like stabbing him in the neck instead of their back, or stabbing them in the chest instead of stabbing him multiple times in the abdomen. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not all assassins use hidden blades. There is a courtesan with a fan, Bartolomeo with Bianca, Mario uses a sword, Machiavelli has a dagger and I'm sure they could come up with some wacky invention for Leonardo Da Vinci to use.

Sps_Drake
01-17-2011, 02:32 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by LibertyTree34:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Neros5555:
Btw, playing as the Templars is quite a change from boring Assassin's with their eagle hoods and hidden blades, I mean, whats could possibly be unique to each assassin? ALL OF THEM USE HIDDEN BLADES! Sure there could be SOME variation to the kills, like stabbing him in the neck instead of their back, or stabbing them in the chest instead of stabbing him multiple times in the abdomen. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not all assassins use hidden blades. There is a courtesan with a fan, Bartolomeo with Bianca, Mario uses a sword, Machiavelli has a dagger and I'm sure they could come up with some wacky invention for Leonardo Da Vinci to use. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Leonardo kills with blueprints.

CharDude
01-17-2011, 04:02 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by SilverStardust:
Do you play the Prowler, by any chance? http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_razz.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>She's still a hobag. ):&lt;

DraconicDak
01-17-2011, 04:14 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by CharDude2010:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by SilverStardust:
Do you play the Prowler, by any chance? http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_razz.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>She's still a hobag. ):&lt; </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Oh man, you totally won that argument. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

Neros5555
01-17-2011, 10:13 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Not all assassins use hidden blades. There is a courtesan with a fan, Bartolomeo with Bianca, Mario uses a sword, Machiavelli has a dagger and I'm sure they could come up with some wacky invention for Leonardo Da Vinci to use. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Courtesan with the fan? Isn't that the templar in Multiplayer? Bartolomeo isn't an assassin, he never went through the ritual. He just likes helping the assassins. While Mario is just the odd on out. That leave 99% of the assassin's you see in game use hidden blades

DraconicDak
01-17-2011, 10:26 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Not all assassins use hidden blades. There is a courtesan with a fan, Bartolomeo with Bianca, Mario uses a sword, Machiavelli has a dagger and I'm sure they could come up with some wacky invention for Leonardo Da Vinci to use. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Courtesan with the fan? Isn't that the templar in Multiplayer? Bartolomeo isn't an assassin, he never went through the ritual. He just likes helping the assassins. While Mario is just the odd on out. That leave 99% of the assassin's you see in game use hidden blades </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Fiora Cavazza, the Courtesan, becomes an ally of the Assassins in Project Legacy, and fights alongside them.

It's worth noting that Claudia uses a dagger. And your Assassin Recruits can use a number of non-hidden weapons.

robinzx
01-18-2011, 01:14 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Fiora Cavazza, the Courtesan, becomes an ally of the Assassins in Project Legacy, and fights alongside them.

It's worth noting that Claudia uses a dagger. And your Assassin Recruits can use a number of non-hidden weapons. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Assassin recruits can perform arrow showers without being equipped with crossbows http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

MungoTango
01-18-2011, 07:36 AM
A lot of these people are Templar Agent sidequests in the story

Tragic_Jonson
01-18-2011, 11:33 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">

But I definitely see where you're coming from because I hate running around as the bad guy. lol </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Are the MP characters all bad guys?? I dunno, still haven't played the single player campaign :P I love the executioner, hope he's not a total ****** in single player haha.

ClassicNuke
01-18-2011, 11:38 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Blaqk_Friday:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">

But I definitely see where you're coming from because I hate running around as the bad guy. lol </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Are the MP characters all bad guys?? I dunno, still haven't played the single player campaign :P I love the executioner, hope he's not a total ****** in single player haha. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well...he kinda is.

Starsfan1009
01-18-2011, 11:52 AM
I think what everyone is kind of missing here is that if you were to play as Rodrigo or Cesare in MP, it wouldn't make a lot of sense for a bunch of Borgias walking around in a map. Those characters are too unique and important (IMO) to incorporate them into Wanted mode as dozens of the same NPC. Since the other characters in the MP don't have huge roles in the story and are less well-known, it's easier for the player to accept that there are dozens of them all over the map that look exactly alike.

^Hopefully that made sense.

It would just look weird if you had 100 Ezios walking around with 100 Borgias in a map. Not the right mix, I think. HOWEVER, if you could be one of the lesser assassins in the Brotherhood, that could work. I wouldn't be surprised if they eventually created a DLC pack with an assassin character in it. I would definitely get it.

EQWashu
01-18-2011, 07:43 PM
The characters created are supposed to be the best of the best that the templars have in way of assassins, their answer to Ezio (not much of one obviously, but it is). I think creating them rather than using existing characters gives the game a stronger feel, and a way to tell the Templar side without interrupting Ezio/Desmond's story. They were well thought out and using Project Legacy to tell us a bit about them (and in some cases, their actual demise) was well done.

LibertyTree34
01-19-2011, 02:44 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Starsfan1009:
I think what everyone is kind of missing here is that if you were to play as Rodrigo or Cesare in MP, it wouldn't make a lot of sense for a bunch of Borgias walking around in a map. Those characters are too unique and important (IMO) to incorporate them into Wanted mode as dozens of the same NPC. Since the other characters in the MP don't have huge roles in the story and are less well-known, it's easier for the player to accept that there are dozens of them all over the map that look exactly alike.

^Hopefully that made sense. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It does make sense and I'm pretty sure that Ubisoft was thinking the same thing. If you really think about it though, having 100 people who look a lot like Casare Borgia shouldn't really be any more of a stretch than seeing 100 Barbers all of the same height, weight and build wearing the same clothing.

The Demonborn
01-19-2011, 03:09 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by obliviondoll:
Everyone knows the prowler is a runner </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

This annoys me. I'm a stealthy player. I play as stealthily as I possibly can. The prowler is my favourite character. Why? I play stealthily. The Prowler is the only remotely stealth looking character, to me, at least. I hate quite a few of the characters, quite simply because I think some of them look ridiculous - like the barber, or the engineer. Anyway, bottom line, I play stealth with the prowler, because he's the only character I see as looking at all stealthy.

Kenpachi_cable
01-19-2011, 03:31 PM
Engineer is PIMP.

I used to only play as the female characters (love to look at da ladies, after all), but then I got Elite Gear and Color 4 for Engineer, and he's pimp. My favorite to play as.

And the dude has a sad backstory, having lost someone really close that drove him to have a basic disregard for human life (Fiora even "made careful attention to avoiding the front window" where he was aiming a gun he was making at shadows). I think a wife or something.

And the end of the Hellequin almost brought a tear to my eye...

But the idea, like stated, is you are an Abstergo recruit training with a bleeding effect to be able to take on the Assassins.