PDA

View Full Version : Saitek pro pedals mini review

BrotherVoodoo
02-12-2007, 06:33 PM
Ill put it in here too...

Since I have had them for a few weeks now, here is the review I promised you guys.

I used to to use the CH Pro Pedals and wanted something that had a slightly wider stance and a more realistic feel. I always found my self flying with my feet on the outer rims of the foot rest, not too comfy. When you push in on the CH it feels loose and springy, not to realistic. Not too comfy or realistic, time to find something else. Thats when I was immediatly drawn to the new Saitek Pro Pedals. They looked cool with a wide stance and boasted a tensioning knob to adjust the stiffness of the pedal motion. Exactly what I was looking for! Good deal too, delivered for 118$ I waited my week and got my new box in the mail. Out of the box they felt nice and heavy. I didn't find any metal parts really as described in their propaganda, but still at least as heavy duty as my old CH's. The first thing I did was crack up the tesioning knob up to its tightest position and gave them a try. It felt wonderful. Smoooooth and it really felt like I was pushing against a control surface. This has added much immersion for me in and of itself. They came with velcro to secure to the pedal to the floor. I suppose that would work once you find exactly where you want them, but mine is worn from moving a few times. I need to do something about that still, but no biggie. The CH did the same. They also come with heel rests and holes to actually mount to a pit. I installed the software and drivers with no probs. I went through the calibration in windows and have not had to touch it since.
I assigned the toe brakes in IL2 and recieved some excellent advise on the forums here (can't remember posters name) on how to get IL2 to see both toes to work. I think the post got nuked with the forum crash. Basically I went into the settings file in the user/doe dierctory where the joystick settings are kept. I added another line for my other toe brake to look something like

AXE_X JoystickDevice2=brakes
AXE_Y JoystickDevice2=brakes

Even though they arn't true differential brakes, it is still better than nothing. That's as good as I could do with the CH.
The programming software is kind of clunky, but it works. Not as cool as the CH control manager and its scripting abilities, but these are rudder pedals. How much fancy scripting could one need? I do use a CH Pro Throttle and Yolk so I can still reap those benifits.
All in all, I would suggest anyone looking for rudder pedals to consider these. I feel these to be an upgrade to my USB CH Pro Pedals in several ways. First is the wider stance. The it feels like a more natural place to put your feet. I play with the stick between my legs so this is imprtant to me. The foot rests are adjustable to 3 sizes. Next is the tensioning knob...to me this is a the most important feature. When I flew a Cessna with my buddy I realised what real rudders should feel like. They were stiff to move in and out and were very sensitive. To me, these Saiteks feel 1000% better than the CH in this respect. It takes a little getting used to but it is kinda like FFB for your feet. Not really FFB but you feel the pressure, which I like.
OK I am done I guess. If you have any questions let me know.

S!

BrotherVoodoo
02-12-2007, 06:33 PM
Ill put it in here too...

Since I have had them for a few weeks now, here is the review I promised you guys.

I used to to use the CH Pro Pedals and wanted something that had a slightly wider stance and a more realistic feel. I always found my self flying with my feet on the outer rims of the foot rest, not too comfy. When you push in on the CH it feels loose and springy, not to realistic. Not too comfy or realistic, time to find something else. Thats when I was immediatly drawn to the new Saitek Pro Pedals. They looked cool with a wide stance and boasted a tensioning knob to adjust the stiffness of the pedal motion. Exactly what I was looking for! Good deal too, delivered for 118$ I waited my week and got my new box in the mail. Out of the box they felt nice and heavy. I didn't find any metal parts really as described in their propaganda, but still at least as heavy duty as my old CH's. The first thing I did was crack up the tesioning knob up to its tightest position and gave them a try. It felt wonderful. Smoooooth and it really felt like I was pushing against a control surface. This has added much immersion for me in and of itself. They came with velcro to secure to the pedal to the floor. I suppose that would work once you find exactly where you want them, but mine is worn from moving a few times. I need to do something about that still, but no biggie. The CH did the same. They also come with heel rests and holes to actually mount to a pit. I installed the software and drivers with no probs. I went through the calibration in windows and have not had to touch it since.
I assigned the toe brakes in IL2 and recieved some excellent advise on the forums here (can't remember posters name) on how to get IL2 to see both toes to work. I think the post got nuked with the forum crash. Basically I went into the settings file in the user/doe dierctory where the joystick settings are kept. I added another line for my other toe brake to look something like

Even though they arn't true differential brakes, it is still better than nothing. That's as good as I could do with the CH.
The programming software is kind of clunky, but it works. Not as cool as the CH control manager and its scripting abilities, but these are rudder pedals. How much fancy scripting could one need? I do use a CH Pro Throttle and Yolk so I can still reap those benifits.
All in all, I would suggest anyone looking for rudder pedals to consider these. I feel these to be an upgrade to my USB CH Pro Pedals in several ways. First is the wider stance. The it feels like a more natural place to put your feet. I play with the stick between my legs so this is imprtant to me. The foot rests are adjustable to 3 sizes. Next is the tensioning knob...to me this is a the most important feature. When I flew a Cessna with my buddy I realised what real rudders should feel like. They were stiff to move in and out and were very sensitive. To me, these Saiteks feel 1000% better than the CH in this respect. It takes a little getting used to but it is kinda like FFB for your feet. Not really FFB but you feel the pressure, which I like.
OK I am done I guess. If you have any questions let me know.

S!

BadA1m
02-12-2007, 09:59 PM
I bought mine for the wider stance as well and really like the feel, I've found they give me much better control as well as more comfort. I have to say that I don't care so much for the tension as you kinda loose the centering force, but then again that's why the knob turns both ways (I would really like to see pedals and sticks with adjustable spring tension). The one point of sadness is that mine have already broken and I'm sending them back, I'll let everyone know how it goes. (so far Saitek seems responsive; at least by e-mail)

BadA1m
02-12-2007, 10:04 PM
Brother' does the trick you posted for the brakes give you analog brakes on both pedals? If so, you are my hero!

BrotherVoodoo
02-13-2007, 09:13 AM
Yes sir, you are good to go with brakes on both toes now. If you have any trouble let me know. Sorry to hear that yours broke already. I hope they take care of you. Also, even with the tension maxed out on mine they seem to have no troubles re-centering. Maybe your new ones will behave better in that respect for you.

RamsteinUSA
02-13-2007, 01:19 PM
I just ordered new X52 Pro and Pedals, the Pedals are due to be delivered in 2 days.. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif
please, what broke on your pedals? http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_confused.gif

Thanx..

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BadA1m:
I bought mine for the wider stance as well and really like the feel, I've found they give me much better control as well as more comfort. I have to say that I don't care so much for the tension as you kinda loose the centering force, but then again that's why the knob turns both ways (I would really like to see pedals and sticks with adjustable spring tension). The one point of sadness is that mine have already broken and I'm sending them back, I'll let everyone know how it goes. (so far Saitek seems responsive; at least by e-mail) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

JerryFodder
02-16-2007, 05:49 AM
Just had mine delivered this week and cannot wait to try them out this weekend. I'll check for the dual toe brake stuff - thanks! Do you know if the brakes work with each individual wheel or is it (as I suspect) just a way of making both brakes operate the brakes rather than one????
I also chose Saitek over competitors for the wide stance and hope it'll give more feel - it's going to be a learning curve. They'll also go splendidly with my Saitek X52 setup http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif Next i'm getting trackIR and I hope 6DOF is in BoB!!

JerryFodder
02-16-2007, 07:31 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BrotherVoodoo:

Even though they arn't true differential brakes, it is still better than nothing. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

BV - could you please elaborate on this - could you find out what you've done to what file and let us know please? Very much appreciated.

NonWonderDog
02-16-2007, 07:33 AM
How does the game handle having one control mapped to two axes, though? Does it mix the axes on the fly, or does it take the input of the axis that updated last (and jitter horribly if you're touching both)?

If you press one pedal, do you get full brakes or half breaks? Is it stable?

Hoarmurath
02-16-2007, 09:47 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JerryFodder:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BrotherVoodoo:

Even though they arn't true differential brakes, it is still better than nothing. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

BV - could you please elaborate on this - could you find out what you've done to what file and let us know please? Very much appreciated. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

First, you need to have assigned your brakes at one of your pedal toe axis.

you go to the il2 1946 folder, then open users, then open the folder with the name of your pilot. Here you have a settings.ini file

once you are in this file, you look for the line that assign the brakes, in the case of BV, it was :

then you copy/paste it and change the axis from X to Y to have :

Then you have it, either toe can be used to brake fully, if you brake with both, it make no difference, it is the same as using one. Work like a charm.

BrotherVoodoo
02-16-2007, 12:05 PM
Great explanation Hoarmurath. I find the toe brakes to work smooth with no problems at all. Of course it isn't true differential braking as the game will not support it. But is sure "feels" like differential brakes with this workaround. Works just like in the movies http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif Let us know if you need further assistance sir. Note that my file was located in il2 root directory under users/doe then the settings file.

BadA1m
02-20-2007, 10:43 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by RamsteinUSA:
I just ordered new X52 Pro and Pedals, the Pedals are due to be delivered in 2 days.. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif
please, what broke on your pedals? http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_confused.gif

Thanx..

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BadA1m:
I bought mine for the wider stance as well and really like the feel, I've found they give me much better control as well as more comfort. I have to say that I don't care so much for the tension as you kinda loose the centering force, but then again that's why the knob turns both ways (I would really like to see pedals and sticks with adjustable spring tension). The one point of sadness is that mine have already broken and I'm sending them back, I'll let everyone know how it goes. (so far Saitek seems responsive; at least by e-mail) </div></BLOCKQUOTE> </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sorry my reply is so late, first the right toebrake quit, then a couple weeks later it locked in full right rudder position. My guess is that a broken part caused the toebrake failure and the same part worked it's way down into the mechanism and jammed the pedals. It was probably just a plastic tab or something, but I didn't want any warrantee hassles so I resisted (with great difficulty) the impulse to break out the tool kit and go investigating. I've been quite busy with work so I only got them sent out a couple of days ago. I'll keep you guys posted.

My appoligies again for taking so long to post back. I got my pedals back within a couple of weeks (actually they sent new ones) once I finally sent them in. So far so good, and I'm still very happy with them, my only real complaint is the lack of centerng force.

BadA1m
02-20-2007, 10:50 PM
Yes sir, you are good to go with brakes on both toes now. If you have any trouble let me know. Sorry to hear that yours broke already. I hope they take care of you. Also, even with the tension maxed out on mine they seem to have no troubles re-centering. Maybe your new ones will behave better in that respect for you. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Doesn't seem to work for me but I haven't had time to mess with it. I wonder if it may be that I'm using my CH pedals, although that doesn't make much sense either.

hshmulik
02-21-2007, 07:13 AM
Just out of curiosity - I now own a set of Hofmann's Simped Vario pedals. They are quite good but getting kind of old and cranky. They don't have tow breaks, and I connect them through the gameport.
Will I benefit from moving to those new USB pedals with toe breaks ?
Are they more accurate ?

Reschke
02-21-2007, 11:10 AM
OK big question here. I understand that these Saitek pedals are USB. I have a set of TM RCS pedals that have been modded to have toe brakes. SO if they were gameport would it make any difference on how the axes were viewed by the game? In the software that came with my TM Cougar you can setup toe brakes on a separate axis for each one BUT the joystick handles all the allocation of axes and so forth.

BrotherVoodoo
02-21-2007, 12:46 PM
I have had some issues also with the right brake dissapearing from the settings file. I am wondering if it is caused from visiting the control set up screen in the game. I believe exiting that page, even with no changes, re-writes that file eilminating the manual entry. I am going to test that theory today.
So far as the settings file fix in my original post, I believe it would work for any toebrakes really not just Saitek. As long as the game see's the toebrake as a device, meaning it is assignable to one of the toebrakes in the control setup of the game, the manual entry should work. My thought is after you set the toe axis to one of your toe brakes, then change the settings file (and anytime after you visit the control setup screen where you assigned your buttons and axis).
As far as an upgrade, I would absolutly reccommend it. Especially if your old ones are starting to get twitchy. Having good working gear will only immerse you more into the game.

hshmulik
02-22-2007, 12:56 AM
Great, thanks for the advise.
Actually, the Simpeds work fine and are very accurate, they just make creaking noises every now and then, and the fact that I need to connect them via a Y cable to a crappy 2-axis analog joystick just so they can be detected annoys me. They were originally designed to work in team with MS Sidewinder FFB1 and had some kind of gizmo that connected them to a single unit from the control panel's point of view. Now that I have moved to MS FFB2, they're on their own and they tend to loose their settings from time to time and I have to calibrate.

BTW, I just went and ordered a set out on a whim even before reading the answers here http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/35.gif

Krt_Bong
04-16-2007, 03:21 PM
Kinda OT here but(this makes me want to go buy Pedals tho) but anyone know how to make pulling back on the joystick lock the tailwheel? I use an X-45 and tho' my profile works just fine that's just something I've never been able to pull off currently I have it on a button w/Shift.

badaboom.1
04-20-2007, 03:31 PM
Well,I did it!!I finaly broke down and ordered/got The Saitek Rudder pedals,I guess this is the final nail in the flight sim junky coffin!!! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/winky.gif

I went through GoGamer.com[fabulous company for PC Simmer's]and recieved prompt delievery!

I just plugged them in last night and I'm very,very happy with them,the first thing I noticed is how well made and adjustable they are.
My first take-off in my trusty F4F ended in a disaster but next one went fine! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/clap.gifI feel like I have to learn to fly all over again but it feels great to push down on full right rudder and nose your bird towards the earth in a straffing attack!!!! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif
I need a lot more practice but they add alot to the SIM.I haven't assigned the brake toes yet[Thanks B.V. and Hoarmurath for the how to]but i'll get to that after I can pancake my F4F the Carrier deck.

smokestack1947
04-21-2007, 06:46 AM
almost brand new newbie here (3 weeks now), and have been practing alot of landings (just getting the hang of it). i have also been scanning and reading lots of posts on various topics. since i am on somewhat of a limited budget right now, i have one question for everyone. are the factory recon saitek stick/throttle combo and pedals as good as the new ones? i am using a saitek ST 290 PRO right now. thx to all of you

BrotherVoodoo
04-23-2007, 10:12 AM
I bought an EVO FFB from them several months back reconditioned and have no issues.

FA_Whisky
04-25-2007, 12:13 PM
For all who find the centering tention to weak. I modified mine with rubberbands. Rudder actually kicks back now and want to return to center position. Before the weight of my leg would push it away.

Lehnert
04-29-2007, 03:00 PM
Hello FA_Whisky,
I think that is a good idea.

Are you able to post a picture how and where you
take place the rubberbands and what kind of Rubbrbands you use to work well ???

Thank you very much
Gerhard

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by FA_Whisky:
For all who find the centering tention to weak. I modified mine with rubberbands. Rudder actually kicks back now and want to return to center position. Before the weight of my leg would push it away. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>