PDA

View Full Version : Great fun I had with vulchers last night :o)

rnzoli
07-19-2005, 02:14 AM
Have you been vulched before repeatedly and did not like it? Read on then.

Last night I dropped into a no-rule-whatsoever-Airquake room, just to check something in the behaviour of client console. I noticed that one side was double than the other, I selected the underdog side by routine, and while I was checking the console stats, my plane was shredded to pieces on the ground. I also noticed many reports of vulching (both machine generated, and pilot complaints). There were 3-4 enemy planes circling this airport, and shooting up every aircraft they saw taking off. From some abusive chat messages, you could see they had lots of fun doing that, leaving not much fun for others.

Since I had no intention to fly, I wished I had been able to man one of the few AAA artillery gun position around the airport for 15 minutes to shoot a few invaders. But since this was impossible, I figured that a bomber's defensive guns could also do the work.

So I spawned with a good ol'e TB-3 and it was rock and roll after that http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_eek.gif The gunners had lots of ammo, the AI also pitched in with their part, and the amount of guns roughly doubled the airport's AAA defense.

Soon the vulchers spotted my plane and attacked it, most of the time, successfully. TB-3 is easy to hit, easier than a ground based AAA guns. Interestingly, the nose gunner position was relatively safe, as most attackers aimed at the middle of the fuselage.

But the real fun was that as soon as they blew up my TB-3, I respawned immediately, and I could get the guns on the attackers before they could complete their combat turns http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

I brought down 2 planes myself, when the vulchers understood that they were loosing their grip. The smarter ones tried another alternative, stopped strafing, RTBd and reloaded with rockets, or bombed the base from high level, but soon they did the math and realized it's not worth to vulch anymore. I had a huge advantage with this no-effort re-spawning immediately after every their attacks, while they had to fly to our base first.

What's more, while the vulchers concentrated on my AAA-like bomber, many of the local fighers could actually take off now, and engage the vulchers on even terms. About 20 minutes hell on the ground, the airport went silent, the ground fires slowly disappeared. The place looked eerily peaceful, only the distant humming of dogfighting airplanes remained. It was time to disconnect.

rnzoli
07-19-2005, 02:14 AM
Have you been vulched before repeatedly and did not like it? Read on then.

Last night I dropped into a no-rule-whatsoever-Airquake room, just to check something in the behaviour of client console. I noticed that one side was double than the other, I selected the underdog side by routine, and while I was checking the console stats, my plane was shredded to pieces on the ground. I also noticed many reports of vulching (both machine generated, and pilot complaints). There were 3-4 enemy planes circling this airport, and shooting up every aircraft they saw taking off. From some abusive chat messages, you could see they had lots of fun doing that, leaving not much fun for others.

Since I had no intention to fly, I wished I had been able to man one of the few AAA artillery gun position around the airport for 15 minutes to shoot a few invaders. But since this was impossible, I figured that a bomber's defensive guns could also do the work.

So I spawned with a good ol'e TB-3 and it was rock and roll after that http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_eek.gif The gunners had lots of ammo, the AI also pitched in with their part, and the amount of guns roughly doubled the airport's AAA defense.

Soon the vulchers spotted my plane and attacked it, most of the time, successfully. TB-3 is easy to hit, easier than a ground based AAA guns. Interestingly, the nose gunner position was relatively safe, as most attackers aimed at the middle of the fuselage.

But the real fun was that as soon as they blew up my TB-3, I respawned immediately, and I could get the guns on the attackers before they could complete their combat turns http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

I brought down 2 planes myself, when the vulchers understood that they were loosing their grip. The smarter ones tried another alternative, stopped strafing, RTBd and reloaded with rockets, or bombed the base from high level, but soon they did the math and realized it's not worth to vulch anymore. I had a huge advantage with this no-effort re-spawning immediately after every their attacks, while they had to fly to our base first.

What's more, while the vulchers concentrated on my AAA-like bomber, many of the local fighers could actually take off now, and engage the vulchers on even terms. About 20 minutes hell on the ground, the airport went silent, the ground fires slowly disappeared. The place looked eerily peaceful, only the distant humming of dogfighting airplanes remained. It was time to disconnect.

HotelBushranger
07-19-2005, 02:45 AM
http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif Good to see some people are doing something about these vulchers. Good work and nice story http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

Moustacheo
07-19-2005, 03:56 AM
Hurrah! It's nice to see that chivalry still exists.

skabbe
07-19-2005, 05:21 AM
that is what use to do too. If Lancaster come some day you just have to drop a 10000lb bomb and the airport is clear, it even works with 4000lb.

Nick_Toznost
07-19-2005, 08:43 AM
I've never seen what the problem is with vulching, it is war after all. Shooting them down with stationary bombers is a tactic I've used too. There's also nothing quite as satisfying as dodging strafe bullets, taking off in a nippy fighter of some sort then sneaking round and making a kill. Great fun.

F19_Ob
07-19-2005, 09:29 AM
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/34.gif he he.....good job.

I usually don't se vulchers as a problem.
There are ofcourse players that only vulch and concentrate only on spawning planes but they are relatively few.

I have had many really fun sorties where I took off under attack and managed to help shooting the vulchers down or drive them away.

-----------------------------------

Once I and two mates in doubleseater il-2's had to attack a 109 airbase with many fighters stepped up to 3000m, and had as an objective to torpedo ships wich were heavily defended by flak and fighters with 30mm cannons.
Our team was outnumbered aswell and we had only a few fighters trying to cover us against a double number of fw190 and 109's.
We were losing bigtime and we couldn't reach our target before we were shot down and we couldn't escape either.
Therefore we came up with a diversion ,to vulch their base and take out as many as possible while most vulnerable.

3 of us managed to take out 6 of them although only one of us made it back to base.
These attacks disrupted their slaughtering of us and finally some of our torpedoes managed to reach and sink the target, and we won.

I think vulching can be fun if it's done with normal or crappier planes.
If it's done with superior planes continuosly and the other side have no chance at all it ofcourse just is poor sportsmanship.