PDA

View Full Version : 2GB Memory makes a HUGE difference!

skydiverjeff
11-04-2004, 09:38 PM
Did the water=3 thing and had frame rates that were.. ugh. Added 512 to my 1 GB and was tons better. Then I added another GB ( 2GB total ) and W-O-W !! Perfect !!!! Game load in half the time and plays flawlwss.
Max eye candy with my 6800 ultra and frame rates from mid 40's to high 50's
on avg.

Swwwweeeeet!

skydiverjeff
11-04-2004, 09:38 PM
Did the water=3 thing and had frame rates that were.. ugh. Added 512 to my 1 GB and was tons better. Then I added another GB ( 2GB total ) and W-O-W !! Perfect !!!! Game load in half the time and plays flawlwss.
Max eye candy with my 6800 ultra and frame rates from mid 40's to high 50's
on avg.

Swwwweeeeet!

skydiverjeff
11-04-2004, 09:40 PM
flawless.....

my keyboard is a lousy typist....

Tocca4
11-04-2004, 10:14 PM
Hmm...
I'm just about to buy a new PC. I've two choices to decide between:
AMD 64 3500+ with 2GB RAM
or
AMD 64 3800+ with 1GB RAM

The wallet doesn't allow 3800+ with 2gigs.
I had almost decided to go with the 3800, but your post got me thinking again.
Maybe i'll be better off with the 3500+ and 2GIG after all?

I want 2GB RAM because of my interest in music, there's a program called "Garritan personal orchestra" that's VERY RAM dependable.
I've even heard of people with 3GB RAM that couldn't run it at max! (Sampled instruments takes lots of memory).

But gaming is a big thing for me too so...

Decisions, decisions. LOL.

What's your other PC specs btw?

fordfan25
11-04-2004, 10:16 PM
it would be cheaper and easyer i think to add that extra ram a little later than to have to up grade the cpu. of course eather config will work well now

Tocca4
11-04-2004, 10:33 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by fordfan25:
it would be cheaper and easyer i think to add that extra ram a little later than to have to up grade the cpu. of course eather config will work well now <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Cheaper?

Of course i can add 1GB memory later, that's one way. But it won't be cheaper. And i can't see how it would be easier either.
It would be an option if i hadn't got the money right now, i could buy the 3800+ and add 1GB later when i had more money.

But seeing as it's soon cristmas, there won't be any more money in a foreseable future.
I just want to get the most out of the money i have set aside for this.

Athosd
11-04-2004, 10:47 PM
It's a tough call - but since you do have a use for the 2Gig of ram aside from FB\Aces\PF - I'd suggest going that way.
The performance difference between the 3500+ and 3800+ does not appear to justify the considerable price hike.

Salute

Athos

skydiverjeff
11-04-2004, 10:54 PM
Specs:
FX-53 (939)/Asus A8V (Rev.2)*Bios Savior*2GB XMS3200C2*SB Audigy 2ZS*eVGA 6800 Ultra*2-WD Raptor SATA RAID 0*2-WD 40GB ATA133*NEC 3500A Dual Layer DVD Burner*Teac DW-552G CD-RW*Thermaltake Tsunami Dream Case*Thermaltake 480W Butterfly P/S*Viewsonic P225fB

skydiverjeff
11-04-2004, 10:58 PM
I got the 1GB XMS3200 from Monarch for $237.

Athosd
11-04-2004, 11:01 PM
Skydiverjeff - how many lepracauns did you roll to get the loot for that lot??

http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Athos

skydiverjeff
11-04-2004, 11:06 PM
Had Back Surgury and pretty much stuck around the house for better part of 6 months...My only vice (pc) http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/35.gif and since I have to sit with ice packs for almost 3 hours a day...might as well be in front of my pc....

LEXX_Luthor
11-05-2004, 12:39 AM
Tocca4, ya, adding RAM is lots easier than changing cpu.

CPU:: Unhook everything from motherboard, take out motherboard, take off heat sink and cpu from motherboard, clean heat sink, apply heat goo to heat sink and put cpu on motherboard, put on heat sink and hope it goes on easy, put motherboard back in, hook everything up to motherboard again, including all those little PWR and HD wires that go on pins that you can't read the labels of so you would know which goes where.

RAM:: plug in RAM

Get fast CPU now, add RAM anytime.

FatBoyHK
11-05-2004, 01:26 AM
I doubt that PF can utilize more than 1G of memory.... but really, I am not sure, I only have 1G memory, can't test it by myself......may be can you check the task manager to see the exact amonunt of memory being used by PF, in a 2G machine?

FatBoyHK
11-05-2004, 01:30 AM
BTW, I just upgraded to 3500+, GF6800GT, and 1G Coasir XMS 3200 CL=2 memory. Finally can play PF in water=3/forest=3/FSAA=2XQ

tonight will try to OC it, let's see how far it would go http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Barred
11-05-2004, 01:43 AM
It depends on what OS he is using. If it is XP Pro (deffinatly not sure about Home) then there is a 2meg limit per application limit as standard. It is possible to get to 3meg per application but it is not worth the agro of getting it working as it is very driver dependant and if you do not take mesures when setting it then if it does not work the only way to get rid of it is to reformat.

Athosd
11-05-2004, 06:54 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by skydiverjeff:
Had Back Surgury and pretty much stuck around the house for better part of 6 months...My only vice (pc) http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/35.gif and since I have to sit with ice packs for almost 3 hours a day...might as well be in front of my pc.... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ouch - indeed a nice system does make sound sense under those circumstances.
A swift recovery to you sir.

Cheers

Athos

Athosd
11-05-2004, 07:10 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by LEXX_Luthor:
Tocca4, ya, adding RAM is __lots__ easier than changing cpu.

CPU:: Unhook everything from motherboard, take out motherboard, take off heat sink and cpu from motherboard, clean heat sink, apply heat goo to heat sink and put cpu on motherboard, put on heat sink and hope it goes on easy, put motherboard back in, hook everything up to motherboard again, including all those little PWR and HD wires that go on pins that you can't read the labels of so you would know which goes where.

RAM:: plug in RAM

Get fast CPU now, add RAM anytime. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I swapped out CPUs a few times without having to take down the whole rig - though a lot depends on the case layout (and under most circumstances its not advisable). You are certainly right though - it is heaps easier to add more ram at a later time.

However, even with the cash to spend I'd be tempted to go with the 3500+ over the 3800+ - simply because the 3800+ costs twice as much and thus doesn't seem good value.
The 3500+ clocks at 2.2GHz - the 3800+ at 2.4GHz - both have the same cache, voltage and die size.
I reckoned I'd never miss that 200Mhz - and the 300 US clams could buy a lot of happiness elsewhere (RAM, Sound etc).

Salute

Athos

Edit - Actually the 3800+ uses an older 130nm process (Newcastle), whilst the 3500+ can be had with the newer 90nm die (Winchester).

Chuck_Older
11-05-2004, 07:32 AM
I think I must be the only one here who doesn't care about 'perfect' settings.

I don't even run at max video resolution, and at 16 bit, yet...

TX Rahman
11-05-2004, 08:12 AM
SkyvdiverJeff of old TX fame? Is that you man? http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

ZG77_Nagual
11-05-2004, 11:59 AM
Go for the ram. I've got 2 gig also and at one point took out half of it so I could oc the ram higher. The tradeoff was not worth it. 2 gig does make a diff.

The high-end processor pricing is allways a rip-off - better to buy at the 'sweet-spot'. Besides you can allways overclock the thing if you just gotta have a couple hundred megahootzies.

GT182
11-05-2004, 12:17 PM
Skydiverjeff, if I may, I'd suggeat taking a good look at the Thermaltake XaserIII v1000A. It might cost a bit more but it's worth every penny. I've got one and wouldn't have any other. More room inside to work on things and more cooling with 7 fans, not counting the 2 in the PSU. Tho it does weigh more than the Tsunami. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

So there is no reason to remove the motherboard to change heatsink or CPU with this case. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

Tocca4
11-05-2004, 08:37 PM
Ok, i think i'll go with the 3500+ and 2GB RAM. I've considered getting water cooling for the case too, it adds up to the same price.

3500+, 2GB RAM and water cooling is about $20 less than a 3800+ and 1GB RAM...

During summer, it gets very hot where i have my PC. I've been forced to move my PC downstairs a couple of times to get it working properly.
I guess it will be easier to overclock with watercooling also.
Thanks for all the input on this.

Atomic_Marten
11-05-2004, 09:25 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Tocca4:
Hmm...
I'm just about to buy a new PC. I've two choices to decide between:
AMD 64 3500+ with 2GB RAM
or
AMD 64 3800+ with 1GB RAM

The wallet doesn't allow 3800+ with 2gigs.
I had almost decided to go with the 3800, but your post got me thinking again.
Maybe i'll be better off with the 3500+ and 2GIG after all?

I want 2GB RAM because of my interest in music, there's a program called "Garritan personal orchestra" that's VERY RAM dependable.
I've even heard of people with 3GB RAM that couldn't run it at max! (Sampled instruments takes lots of memory).

But gaming is a big thing for me too so...

Decisions, decisions. LOL.

What's your other PC specs btw? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

AMD 64 3500+ with 2GB RAM. -&gt; Buy this. If only difference between 2 processors is 100~300 MhZ (you should check processor specs. L1&L2 cache etc.) then by all means, you can't see the difference between 3500 and 3800. And you *will* notice the difference between 1G and 2G of RAM. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Also, you should check your new MBO. MBO is the second important part of PC for me. After RAM of course. Of what use is fast CPU when your MBO can't fully exploit it's full capabilities?

Tocca4
11-05-2004, 11:21 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Atomic_Marten:

Also, you should check your new MBO. MBO is the second important part of PC for me. After RAM of course. Of what use is fast CPU when your MBO can't fully exploit it's full capabilities? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

On the system i'm considering i can choose either a:
MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum 54G nForce 3 Ultra

or

Asus A8V Deluxe K8T800Pro

Any ideas?
The MSI one is the one i'm thinking about getting.

Atomic_Marten
11-06-2004, 05:41 AM
MSI 915P NEO2 is ~200", MSI 925X NEO Platinum is ~260" (in my country). I don't have specs for those, (for ASUS I do not have any info since I cannot find it, was able to found only A7V series-these are clearly inferior to MSI's above). I can see that these MSI MBO's are in the higher class, so if you decide to buy them, I figure that you can't make a mistake there. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Tocca4
11-06-2004, 09:29 AM
Thanks Atomic_Marten. I think i need to check some hardware sites for info about MBOs. I know too little to make a good choice.

The problem, of course, is that the two above are the only MBOs for an AMD 3500+ that the store has.
If i want another MBO i need to buy the PC elsewhere, and this place has really good prices so it will end up being a costly move in that case!