PDA

View Full Version : For Honor Starter Edition

CptMatsumaru
03-15-2018, 11:15 AM
What do you think? Link - below in the text

Ubisoft has announced the starter edition of For Honor for PC (Steam and Uplay). The edition costs 14.99 euros and includes all features of the standard edition, ie the story campaign, all multiplayer modes and all progress and customization options. The differences between Starter and Standard Edition are the unlock system for the heroes and the number of heroes that are playable from the beginning. The Starter Edition is compatible with the Season Pass and all DLCs.

The starter edition includes:
"Three fully unlocked Assault Heroes: The Warden, the Raider and the Kensei are fully playable and customizable at the start of the game.
Three starting heroes from the chosen faction: Three additional playable heroes are granted to players based on the faction they choose at the first launch of this edition (Knights, Vikings, Samurai). With these heroes, players can progress and gain loot. Adjustments, however, will not be available until the heroes are recruited for 8,000 steel (steel is a game currency and can be purchased through gameplay or purchase).
Twelve other heroes: Players can also unlock the six heroes available for the launch of the release for play and customization for every 8,000 steel. The six heroes of the following seasons can be unlocked for 15,000 steel each. "

"Ubisoft recently released the fifth season, Age of Wolves, on all platforms, with the latest update launching dedicated servers for PCs and consoles, resolving resynchronization and host migration errors, and improving stability and connectivity, in addition to the dedicated ones Servers provided Age of Wolves with important hero updates, as well as several updates that improved the player's progress and ranked play, as well as new training modes that will sharpen the skills of both experienced and new players, and will also be introduced in the fifth season. "

http://www.4players.de/4players.php/spielinfonews/PC-CDROM/36800/2173828/For_Honor-Starter-Edition_fuer_PC_steht_bereit.html

CandleInTheDark
03-15-2018, 11:30 AM
If it gets more players onto pc then that is all for the better on the pc population and it is something I can see them bringing into the console if it works well. The added cost for regular heroes is a bit steep, on the other hand, they can either grind for the bundle which will not take all that long as they don't have many characters to buy cosmetics and such for anyhow or they will be able to pick up the ones they want over time. The starter edition is also around the price of the season pass so realistically it works as a good try me if someone then wants to get the standard edition for regular steel cost and if they get the game on the cheap from a second hand store still spend less than the original base game.

My concern will be is their price going to beat the likes of second hand stores who sell games at a cheaper price a year after by enough to be a draw?I could walk into my local second hand games/dvds store and get it for a similar price without the required extra grind, my guess is this will draw some people who happen to see it online.

In any case, with servers in, lag compensation close and, from there, arena something they are just waiting to see a stability target on servers on this is a good time to try things to get new players.

Vakris_One
03-15-2018, 02:28 PM
I don't like that it seeks to create two versions of the same game in the sense that the vanilla heroes will cost 8k steel each to unlock. Whereas in the standard game they are 500 steel. I don't see that as being very fair to the Starter Pack players because the steel grind is already quite heavy in For Honor. Inflating the cost of unlocking the base game heroes by a factor of 1500% is in my opinion waaaaay overboard.

It's a blatant attempt to encourage more microtransaction purchases of steel while disguising it as a "cheaper" way to purchase the game. Anyone interested in this starter pack should carefully consider whether they want to play multiple heroes and if they do then do a calculation of how much cost in time it would take for them to grind out 8k/16k/24k, etc steel.

If it increases the playerbase that's great but I don't want to see people getting ripped off or burnt out far too soon because of the harsher steel grind placed upon the Starter Pack owners. It's also worth keeping in mind that PC players have other options for picking up the Standard For Honor at a cheaper price such as during a Steam sale. One can also use their Uplay points to get a 20% discount on the regular For Honor, which is in my opinion a better deal than this Starter Pack: For Grind.

Ulrichvonbek111
03-15-2018, 02:48 PM
I don't like that it seeks to create two versions of the same game in the sense that the vanilla heroes will cost 8k steel each to unlock. Whereas in the standard game they are 500 steel. I don't see that as being very fair to the Starter Pack players because the steel grind is already quite heavy in For Honor. Inflating the cost of unlocking the base game heroes by a factor of 1500% is in my opinion waaaaay overboard.

It's a blatant attempt to encourage more microtransaction purchases of steel while disguising it as a "cheaper" way to purchase the game. Anyone interested in this starter pack should carefully consider whether they want to play multiple heroes and if they do then do a calculation of how much cost in time it would take for them to grind out 8k/16k/24k, etc steel.

If it increases the playerbase that's great but I don't want to see people getting ripped off or burnt out far too soon because of the harsher steel grind placed upon the Starter Pack owners. It's also worth keeping in mind that PC players have other options for picking up the Standard For Honor at a cheaper price such as during a Steam sale. One can also use their Uplay points to get a 20% discount on the regular For Honor, which is in my opinion a better deal than this Starter Pack: For Grind.

You've got it bang on.....they're doing it for the micro transactions before pulling the plug.

EvoX.
03-15-2018, 03:55 PM
Well let's put it this way - I never thought they would somehow get away with making 3 OG heroes cost 16 times more steel to unlock. Ubisoft continues to surprise.

You've got it bang on.....they're doing it for the micro transactions before pulling the plug.

Pulling the plug in what way?

CandleInTheDark
03-15-2018, 05:52 PM
Eric Pope has stated on reddit, and the team have stated numerous times, that they are in it for the long term future and that part of what they need to do is to grow the player base,so I can seewhy they are offering a lower price version (get people through the door) and why, if they still have a higher priced version, some things are more costly in terms of in game currency (and it is still in game currency, they have not said pay us $15 or you will never see the other heroes).

That being said, is the increase a little steep? I'd say possibly so, are there better options? Certainly. If I had advice, it would be to look at what the options are.

Do you need to try the game first or just want it at a lower price? Look in second hand stores, look to see if there is a sale. If you cannot find it then decide if you can commit to the full price or not bearing in mind you will either grind or pay more to get other characters.

Before you buy any character, decide are you looking to get them all, then ask yourself are you happy to grind, do you want to buy the steel for one or two or the bundle or is it cheaper to get the standard version? (Again, look for sales/second hand).

Personally, I suspect the cheapest way to unlock all the characters now as opposed to grinding in game will still be standard game and season pass if it is still out there but for a dip the toe in the water kind of thing, I can see why they are looking at ways of allowing people to do that.

UbiJurassic
03-15-2018, 07:06 PM

We're in it for the long haul. We're not going anywhere. ;)

Vakris_One
03-15-2018, 08:47 PM
They are doing it for the microtransaction sales but they're not pulling the plug any time soon, if at all.

E1seNw0Lf
03-15-2018, 09:32 PM
Not bad.
Not good.
Too late?

JadeBosson.
03-16-2018, 03:32 AM
What was in my gold edition tbh idk what I got and is this any better?

CandleInTheDark
03-16-2018, 03:52 AM
What was in my gold edition tbh idk what I got and is this any better?

As far as I can recall

Vanguard heroes
We didn't have our faction playable but og characters were cheaper
Champion status
Access to all the dlc heroes a week earlier than standard edition with an outfit and an effect, those are pretty much the big benefits of gold.

I did the math once and the price of the season pass was less than buying steel for all of that (though obviously the currency could be earned in game also).

CptMatsumaru
03-18-2018, 10:12 AM
Personally, I think: It is too late and it is partly a little unfair.
I mean, then you could do it all free to play and have steel farmed for years.
So I would have understood a discount. Extend the farming, no.
If only Warden, Raider and Keinsei could have been played in the Starter Edition, yes, alright. Unlock everything else for a small surcharge (Season Pass). If you like it.

But good. It's not my game and Ubisoft was already thinking of something.

Alustar.
03-18-2018, 02:36 PM
Is it just me or does it seem like this starter edition puts newer players at mode of a disadvantage in picKing up new heroes? I don't see the logic in this...

SA1MON_Majestic
03-22-2018, 06:57 PM
They are doing it because it worked so well with rainbow six siege. Its the idea of rewarding dedicated new players. Sure the steel grind can be bad, but I can consistently earn 8000+ steel a week, nor counting any special events, with some dedicated play. If you only play once a week yeah its bad, but if you are consistent then there is no issue.

Subject_Five
04-03-2018, 08:59 PM
Actually,

I think it's a pretty sick joke that Ubisoft would even consider selling the game for 60 USD for the full copy.

Sure, I can pay 15 bucks to get the starter edition . . .

however I've got the standard edition for rainbow six siege with 404 hours and I still don't even own half of the roster. (Standard edition, not the starter edition.)

At best, the game is worth 30 USD - this is at the peak of the ' best ' because I know Ubisoft likes to pinch a penny so hard that Abe Lincoln would be screaming out "Ahhhh!"

You're saying that this game has just as much content as Halo 3 on Launch? Just as much content as Halo Reach on launch? C'mon man . . .

I can't help but just think that Ubisoft is run by this old grandpa who will penny pinch for everything. Need to use Ubisofts toilet? He bought the 1 ply toilet paper that when you use it, it's impossible not to get **** on your hands. Want to go out and eat with Ubisoft? Alright, he'll buy you the kids meal - with extra salt on your fries. There you go, kiddo. Don't you dare ****ing touch grand dad Ubisofts thermostat because he'll blow a gasket if he has to lose a little bit of dough.

This seems to be consistent throughout Ubisofts development in videogames. They're released like dog**** and then patched up after the release - after they've made the money necessary to apparently "Continue development."

Don't buy the starter edition unless if you plan on playing this game 4+ Hours a day, every day of the week for 2 months straight to unlock almost a quarter of the roster. (Lmfao) Take this from somebody who owns the STANDARD EDITION of Rainbow Six Siege.