PDA

View Full Version : Is there a huge skill gap and/or am I losing my mind?

Wooly_The_Dilly
03-15-2018, 05:50 AM
Okay, first, two disclaimers. One, I'm a an ultra casual gamer who play 98% dominion. Two, I don't even really have a main, just sort of play through the characters until they're rep 7 and look F A B with their glittery helmets'n crap.

What confuses me though, is it seems more and more that people are having IMPOSSIBLE reaction times to attacks. Even on characters like Valkyrie, I don't see how it's possible to block every light every time on reaction alone. I don't follow patterns. I don't always got left-right-up. It's random every time. Targeted on me, not targeted on me, dazed, OOS, doesn't matter. Even my PK gets parried like it's going out of business. Are y'all really just THAT good? Because that's no fun. How are they going to defeat this "turtle meta" if anytime I hit the right bumper I get parried, heavied, and then unspeakable things happen to me that I can't seem to even get my character to respond to? Like, my stance reticle stays black, all the attacks go through, I can't do anything, aaaaand I'm dead.

And it seems random. Sometimes I'll fight a Rep 20 Warden and get *just* beaten due to their better gameplay, and that's fair I don't mind getting mixed up by mix-ups,, but on the same team will be a rep 2 Lawbringer bringing light parry punishes to all. I mean sometimes you can clearly even see that their guard is (we'll say UP), so you attack left or right, and their guard stays up before and after your attack gets blocked/parried, only for that SPLIT SECOND is it left/right to block your attack. And this is on XBone, so I don't see how it would be cheating.

Charmzzz
03-15-2018, 08:52 AM
Hm, they can see your guard when you play a static guard character and maybe prepare for the parry input before. Having wired connections and a gaming monitor / gaming tv helps alot on Console I heard, too. No idea if guard / cgb bots are possible on xbox and ps, on PC they are available for sure.

Wooly_The_Dilly
03-15-2018, 04:40 PM
Maybe, but a game that requires particular equipment just to play 4v4 GankSquad KillMode in it's most basic, casual form is a broken game. I mean, I know Aramusha's strings go side-up-side-up-side, etc, but even if I jerk that right control stick off like a lizard **** trying to get it to guard up all his attacks go through. I read this was an assassin issue, so I stopped playing assassins. no difference. Touch the stick, fiddle the stick, jerk the stick, try and parry, nothing ever works, and if I need to buy a special TV just to have stress relieving fun, then...uh, bye. Name another "fighting game" with this man feints, unblockable, unblockable feints, and characters that can tear you a new ******* if you so much as sneeze while trying to defend? INCREDBILIS

Mirage6201
03-15-2018, 06:26 PM
X1 Player. 130 Prestige. 2kd 4v4 on both my mains.

First off, you do need to train your brain to react. However, my experiences on X1 is that connection matters the most. Having a bad connection with players makes lights 100ms faster which for most people is hard to react to especially with feints. This is probably your problem if they are parrying your lights and you canít even block theirs.

The removal of timesnap (lag comp) made it very hard to react to lights. The new servers actually helped me go from hard to block lights to parrying lights even though servers (IMO) were not supposed to fix that. However I still have some players that have a connection advantage over me. The upcoming lag comp is suppose to fix it.

I recommend that you go into a custom match or practice and see if you have a better experience with 400ms lights. If you notice itís easier to block/parry then hopefully when they roll out lag compensation it will help you a lot.

Good Luck - Send me a message and we can run a custom match to mess around. I play after 5 est.

UbiJurassic
03-15-2018, 06:56 PM
Okay, first, two disclaimers. One, I'm a an ultra casual gamer who play 98% dominion. Two, I don't even really have a main, just sort of play through the characters until they're rep 7 and look F A B with their glittery helmets'n crap.

What confuses me though, is it seems more and more that people are having IMPOSSIBLE reaction times to attacks. Even on characters like Valkyrie, I don't see how it's possible to block every light every time on reaction alone. I don't follow patterns. I don't always got left-right-up. It's random every time. Targeted on me, not targeted on me, dazed, OOS, doesn't matter. Even my PK gets parried like it's going out of business. Are y'all really just THAT good? Because that's no fun. How are they going to defeat this "turtle meta" if anytime I hit the right bumper I get parried, heavied, and then unspeakable things happen to me that I can't seem to even get my character to respond to? Like, my stance reticle stays black, all the attacks go through, I can't do anything, aaaaand I'm dead.

And it seems random. Sometimes I'll fight a Rep 20 Warden and get *just* beaten due to their better gameplay, and that's fair I don't mind getting mixed up by mix-ups,, but on the same team will be a rep 2 Lawbringer bringing light parry punishes to all. I mean sometimes you can clearly even see that their guard is (we'll say UP), so you attack left or right, and their guard stays up before and after your attack gets blocked/parried, only for that SPLIT SECOND is it left/right to block your attack. And this is on XBone, so I don't see how it would be cheating.

There's probably a few factors at play here that contribute to all this. The first is that come heroes are just predictable. Against Peacekeeper, most people will block right anticipating a zone attack. Against an Orochi, most people will block top anticipating the double top light. With Raider, many people block top and anticipate a stunning tap, as it helps them either follow up with either a side unblockable or a guardbreak. The list of typical behaviors goes on and on and it's all knowledge you tend to pick up the more time you play. If you find yourself getting parried a lot or punished for certain things, it might simply be because the opponent has invested a lot of time in learning each of these typical behaviors.

Secondly, lag could definitely be a factor here, especially in regards to the guard stance widget. Dedicated servers brought much needed stability to the game, but lag compensation unfortunately did not launch with it. In order to best optimize lag compensation, we've been collecting data since before the servers official launch and have been utilizing it in internal and external tests. We actually just had an internal test yesterday for it and the results looked great. Prospectively, we'll be looking to implement it into the game soon.

Wooly_The_Dilly
03-15-2018, 07:21 PM
X1 Player. 130 Prestige. 2kd 4v4 on both my mains.

First off, you do need to train your brain to react. However, my experiences on X1 is that connection matters the most. Having a bad connection with players makes lights 100ms faster which for most people is hard to react to especially with feints. This is probably your problem if they are parrying your lights and you can’t even block theirs.

The removal of timesnap (lag comp) made it very hard to react to lights. The new servers actually helped me go from hard to block lights to parrying lights even though servers (IMO) were not supposed to fix that. However I still have some players that have a connection advantage over me. The upcoming lag comp is suppose to fix it.

I recommend that you go into a custom match or practice and see if you have a better experience with 400ms lights. If you notice it’s easier to block/parry then hopefully when they roll out lag compensation it will help you a lot.

Good Luck - Send me a message and we can run a custom match to mess around. I play after 5 est.

Oh it's definitely an online thing. I call myself casual because I've no intention of being a diamond-tier duellist, I just like the idea of the game, but I'm an old man AND a father, I can't dedicate 12 hour overnight sessions full of Monster to these things like I could back then. I AM still Rep 38-ish over all though, and I've played around with all the characters that don't cost 15,000 steel just to look at. I know the "basic-advanced" stuff, like holding my guard left for Warden and baiting out side dashes for Kensei.

In practice, and like I had mentioned, even in games, usually 3 out of 4 of the opposition are reactable, fightable, and enjoyable. Then there's one here and there that I guess...has the internet connection from Jeebus himself?

Edit: I guess I also put too much faith in people that really ARE that good at the game, whether they're just accomplished hardcore gamers or put in the long hours of practice. If I was one such person, going on to the baby bottle version of the game and smashing 4 people at once (who are probably either new or not invested in the game and are using one, maybe 2 basic combos with their characters) while I talked on the phone with my girlfriend and did my taxes doesn't sound fun. To each their own though, I guess. On that note, why DID ranked Dominion go away? "We forgot to make it fun or useful and you got no rewards" sounds like a poor excuse for "it wasn't popular."