PDA

View Full Version : Playing in widescreen

flakzero1959
01-22-2009, 07:43 AM
I don't yet have a widescreen monitor, but I am considering it. When playing IL2 in widescreen, is everything stretched (like watching regular television in 16:10) or do things still look normal?

flakzero1959
01-22-2009, 07:43 AM
I don't yet have a widescreen monitor, but I am considering it. When playing IL2 in widescreen, is everything stretched (like watching regular television in 16:10) or do things still look normal?

VF-17_Jolly
01-22-2009, 08:57 AM
Looks normal to me i have a IIyama 24" if you adjust the confi file (there is a link somewhere)

Lowest sticky community help page

to 1920x1600 you don`t get black borders

Skoshi Tiger
01-22-2009, 07:22 PM
inside your config.ini file theres a rew entries
The ones indicated by the <<<< are the important ones.( don't type in the <<<< or anything else on that line http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif )
ColourBits=32
DepthBits=24
StencilBits=8
ChangeScreenRes=1
FullScreen=1
DrawIfNotFocused=0
EnableResize=1 <<<<<
EnableClose=1
SaveAspect=0 <<<<<
Use3Renders=0
------------------------------------------

And if you go into the video setup page or run il2setup you'll need to re do the changes as your settings will be overwritten

flakzero1959
01-22-2009, 10:19 PM
Thanks for the responses. When I am feeling rich, I'll get a new monitor.

Lurch1962
01-24-2009, 11:55 PM
Bear in mind that IL-2's field of view (FOV) is *always* based on the horizontal width of the display. So the wider the aspect, the more is lost from the upper and lower portions of the view. Think of it as making a kind of 'fake' letterbox effect on a standard 4:3 monitor by blacking out a strip along both the top and bottom.

So you'll have guessed by now that in order to see the maximum amount of field at any particular FOV setting, a good old fashioned 4:3 monitor is what's needed.

Many swear by the cinematic effect delivered by wide screens, while decrying the loss of field in the vertical direction. To be honest, I can't understand why one would be willing to handicap oneself in a game environment where all the field of view you can get is beneficial. Especially in a turning fight where much time is spent looking at an upward angle while trying to bring the bogey into the sight.

But in the end, the actual loss of field angle is not all that large (although the *area* does add up), so it's probably not going to be that annoying, let alone a deal breaker.