PDA

View Full Version : Joystick mapping

deknegt1990
08-12-2010, 05:49 AM
Does anyone have some good links to effective Joystick configurations.

I recently got a 12 key joystick and i am intent on tricking it out.

deknegt1990
08-12-2010, 05:49 AM
Does anyone have some good links to effective Joystick configurations.

I recently got a 12 key joystick and i am intent on tricking it out.

rfxcasey
08-12-2010, 06:57 AM
If you are going to use San's FOV changer you may or may not need this little utility as it didn't recognize my POV hat switch automatically.

http://www.autohotkey.com/docs/misc/RemapJoystick.htm

Bearcat99
08-12-2010, 07:42 AM
Look in The Nugget's Guide in my sig. Go to the first post by Skycat after the initial post of mine in the guide. You will find his key mapping settings.

p-11.cAce
08-12-2010, 08:02 AM
The nuggets guide is great even for us "not-so-nuggets"! I was in there last night reading through the joystick settings trying to smooth out my pitch profile.

M_Gunz
08-12-2010, 08:47 AM
You may find that with the pitch axis sliders low on the left (the default dish-curve at least) that trim use has a greater impact/need in IL2 than with the same sliders higher up. Years ago some of us experimented/stayed with all at 100, or 90, or 90 to 100 and I can tell you that it's easier to not mush while running around with neutral pitch trim (during combat with speed changing wildly) at all 100's than with the low to high progression of sliders. Aiming is not so hard with practice and a fingertip-light touch, 300m shots are possible as long as you don't horse/force the plane around.

What I ended up doing is a straight line slider scheme from right to left. Right end at 100, subtract 3 to 6 for each next slider to the left and it's still pretty tight against mushing on neutral trim turns. Trim still helps mind you, it's just not nearly as critical as when the left end sliders are low.

IMO this is not an FM thing but a control interface thing. When I have the sliders in an upward curving 'dish', every bit of stick deflection I make results in more pilot strength than the last equal bit of deflection. The same amount of joystick movement becomes a coarser change. By the time I am halfway back the same millimeter change is many times what it is near center and the last 1/4 pull gets steep. The meaning of the sliders... 10% slider is 10% pull times the slider value. If the 10% is 10 then you have 1% strength applied for 10% stick pull. A straight line from 1 to 100 gets a parabolic response, the response curve is NOT the shape of the sliders but compounds on that shape. Result is you can have a very rapidly changing response across a rather short stick throw which makes keeping in trim to stay near center of very large benefit. At least for those of us who don't have high-complex calibrated fingers this is true.

The more that the sliders are the same, the more that pull across the stick-throw is uniform and by experiment many of us have found this to be easier to use. Your mileage may vary but it's worth a try.

Bearcat99
08-12-2010, 09:30 AM
I agree.. in fact I was able to counter the stock P-51s tendancy to go into a spin easily and break wings by adjusting those sliders and being more attentive to how much stick force I used.. Once this was done my only issues with the stock P-51 were acceleration and guns.. and my issue with the guns was that you had to hit almost exactly at convergence to do any substantial damage with very little effect on either side ..

As far as the actual key mapping goes.. what I also did was once I got my key setup the way I wanted it.. I renamed the default profile to default_old and copied mine to the default, that way even if I accidentally hit that Reset as Default button.. I wouldn't accidentally erase my settings.. Anyone who has ever had a pretty extensive kep may setup and has done this knows exactly what I am talking about.. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/53.gif