PDA

View Full Version : Karma system

bananenslip
03-13-2018, 01:04 PM
I wtched the intro and thinked about the name of the game.
i saw it in several games that if you was a good person your character acted good.
If you was killing everything, the character started to be aggressive.

In fall out was this important to get friends, if your karma was good you never will have the chance to get a Bad friend on your side.
In mass effect, s.t.a.l.k.e.r., etc it changed the endings.

For BGE2 i think it will be nice some kind of this stuff.
Bad Karma, The police chases you all the time if they notice you. In other side you have no problems to get in underground.
Good Karma, The police dont react on you if they notice you. if you want to go there you will have some eyes that watching you and try to attack you.

what do you guys think about that?

Legion-495
03-13-2018, 01:27 PM
You know why I think a karma system like fallout is bad?
It drags it through the whole game no matter if the person you encounter even knows you.

I could see a faction/City based karma system(For NPCs related to quests) but not a lot more.
The exception here being the crewmember which react to your actions anyway, but do they know you when you encounter them?
I expect the police to be very neutral unless you do stupid stuff. It would be annoying to watch out on every corner just to be able to visit places.

A NPC based karma system would make sense much like Fallout 4 so the person kind of gets you to hate or like.

bananenslip
03-13-2018, 01:44 PM
It not have to be like fallout.
but i think it can be unice for BGE2 that gives you different missions or reactions.
so we can bring some Ideas, to change your opinion.
annyway they communicate between the planets and it can be that all planets know what you did in the last planet.
like whatsapp :D

ElPrimordial
03-13-2018, 05:33 PM
Yeah, I think there should be some kind of mechanism that weights our actions, since if one act like psychopath berserk is kinda dump NPCs great you and act like nothing: eventually your reputation reach every place and the people start to recognize you. If you slaughter a village and only let alive the blacksmith, for example, its a big letdown that he/she talk to you like nothing happened or even talk to you in a friendly when you killed his/her family, friends, customers.
There should be consequences for your actions, good or bad ones, and the world should react to them accordingly, IMHO.

DevilmanSinner
03-16-2018, 06:17 AM
I'm voting towards a location/faction based karma system and an NPC based one as well. Maybe there's also some sort of investigative feature? Over time, the factions/NPCs you piss off make their way around the system putting up notices looking for you; maybe even eventually sending bounty hunters after you?

bananenslip
03-16-2018, 01:36 PM
I'm voting towards a location/faction based karma system and an NPC based one as well. Maybe there's also some sort of investigative feature? Over time, the factions/NPCs you piss off make their way around the system putting up notices looking for you; maybe even eventually sending bounty hunters after you?

sounds good :D
Which fractions should exist?
- Police
-Gangsters
-politians
-Pirates
-Pimps/slaver
-Other Ideas?

DevilmanSinner
03-16-2018, 03:55 PM
sounds good :D
Which fractions should exist?
- Police
-Gangsters
-politians
-Pirates
-Pimps/slaver
-Other Ideas?

-Mercenaries
-Corporate CEOs
-Scientists who make hybrids (say you keep freeing hybrids from labs, or destroying labs outright)
-Merchants (you keep disrupting supply lines)

bananenslip
03-16-2018, 09:17 PM
-Mercenaries
-Corporate CEOs
-Scientists who make hybrids (say you keep freeing hybrids from labs, or destroying labs outright)
-Merchants (you keep disrupting supply lines)

sounds interesting but i think it will be a hughe thing if every planet have his own karma with those fractions

one main karma should helps us with starting war or beeing friends on other planets.
so i think if on 3 planets the merchants likes you, you will have less prices for different stuff on the markets.
if you have more and more planets with merchant friends you will get a reward ( merchants best friend) and then you can buy stuff realy cheap and the help how they can.

but if you kill all on one planet you need two planets more to be neutral.

If they hate you, you should have a big wallet XD
The more planets you hate, the more expensive everything will be.

So one main karma for this fraction and a under karma will be interessting :D and helps in the game or not XD

ElPrimordial
03-17-2018, 07:56 PM
I don't believe that things become expensive is the proper way to use this karma, reputation system, since there would be a black market for criminals, and/or you could just steal what you need from merchants, stores, etc.
I prefer this system lead to what type of people/NPCs would join to your cause, what missions/quests will you get. If you kill more hybrids than humans, then if would be hard for hybrids trust you and vice versa if you exterminate more humans than hybrids. If you're a psychopath then everybody will distrust you and you'll live more likely alone and hated and feared for the rest... in other words, something similar to what happen in real world.

Of course this is a BGE2 team call, since if they decide to create a system like this, or something similar, they will need to project if it fits in their plans or would be a bothersome thing to deal with.