PDA

View Full Version : Better Performance in Direct X?

SkyChimp
11-23-2004, 08:09 PM
I am having it up to here with the stutters and freezes (holding my hand at my neck). So I decided to try Direct X instead of Open GL.

WOW!

Not only do I get exceptionally smooth play, I'm getting better frame rates, better looking clouds, and better looking water.

Give it a try.

SkyChimp
11-23-2004, 08:09 PM
I am having it up to here with the stutters and freezes (holding my hand at my neck). So I decided to try Direct X instead of Open GL.

WOW!

Not only do I get exceptionally smooth play, I'm getting better frame rates, better looking clouds, and better looking water.

Give it a try.

Maple_Tiger
11-23-2004, 08:17 PM
Have you tride using the custom Set UP?

If not, run the FB+AEP+PF Set up. Click on Video, and where it says Texture Compression, choose S3TC. Where it says Extensions, make sure the Texture Compress ARB Extension is checked. The ARB extension enables S3TC. This will save you memory and possibly stop the computer from paging.

SkyChimp
11-23-2004, 08:18 PM
I'll give it a try.

SkyChimp
11-23-2004, 08:38 PM
OK, nevermind. I can't get perfect landscape detail in DirectX. That's probably why I'm getting better frame rates.

Back to Open GL. Now gonna try the above suggestions.

depalmer
11-23-2004, 10:20 PM
I gave up on Open GL some time ago. Yes OGL looks a bit nicer but for some reason my Video Card and Monitor mix (Fx 5900SE Video Card and HP A4565A 19 inch monitor 3 gig Northwood CPU) shows more screen tearing then I can live with in spite of V Synch being turned on. I don't get the tearing on my Sons machine a older Athlon XP 2.4 with a Geforce 4600. Get much higher frame rates in Direct X. Can't run perfect mode but can a notch lower with good frame rates.

zarskoe
11-24-2004, 06:57 AM
""I am having it up to here with the stutters and freezes (holding my hand at my neck). So I decided to try Direct X instead of Open GL.

WOW!

Not only do I get exceptionally smooth play, I'm getting better frame rates, better looking clouds, and better looking water. ""

I' d like to know what graphic processor are you using: ATI radeon or NVidia. And what about the driver version?

According to my experiences NVidia works better on DirectX, and ATI RAdeon on OpenGL.

Zarskoe