PDA

View Full Version : Something I noticed with Nobushi

Archo-Vax
03-13-2018, 01:05 AM
One of Nobushis' Helms, Nishijin, is characterized by her wearing a mask on her face and on the back of her head. There is only one real-life example of this sort of practice that I know of.

In areas like India and Sumatra, people who work in rural areas and along rivers will often wear masks on the backs of their heads. They do this in order to deter attacks from tigers. Tigers, in both countries, have a reputation of being symbols of stealth and power, and often only ever attack people when their backs are turned. So, people wear masks on the backs of their heads, in order to trick the tigers into thinking that they can see them. Similar to how butterflies have eye-like patterns on their wings that give potential predators the impression that they can't take the insect by surprise.

Nobushi, being, essentially a police officer for rural villages and wilds for their respective Houses, would likely do the same thing. Though, it begs the question... how on Earth would their be tigers in The Myre? Or any other big cat? Jaguars would suffice as well.

Both big cats can swim and climb trees fairly easily, but The Myre is notorious for being an unpredictably unstable place. It's hard to believe that there wouldn't be crocodilians there. And we know that there are monkeys in The Myre, too, due to one of Nobushis' ornaments being the face of a monkey. How would a big cat survive in a place like that? Just climb up a tree whenever the water level goes too high? That wouldn't leave much time for hunting, and I'm not convinced that there are many prey items worth hunting for tigers or jaguars.

JadeBosson.
03-13-2018, 05:54 AM
begone logic!

Tundra 793
03-13-2018, 06:09 AM
Tradition would be my guess. Valkyries for example, never existed outside Sagas, which in the Viking age could only have been delivered orally. Yet in For Honor's world, they have a codified order. Certain stories and customs just keep carrying on through the ages.

We also know from, I think, a few pelts from Warlords and Raiders armor pieces that exotic animals we'd attribute to the African Savannah still exist. These cats might not inhabit the Myre, but the Samurai could be aware of them still, and tie into their folklore.
Or, they could keep up this practice namely because they're police officers, showing highwayman or robbers that they're very vigilant.

Archo-Vax
03-13-2018, 06:16 AM
Tradition would be my guess. Valkyries for example, never existed outside Sagas, which in the Viking age could only have been delivered orally. Yet in For Honor's world, they have a codified order. Certain stories and customs just keep carrying on through the ages.

We also know from, I think, a few pelts from Warlords and Raiders armor pieces that exotic animals we'd attribute to the African Savannah still exist. These cats might not inhabit the Myre, but the Samurai could be aware of them still, and tie into their folklore.
Or, they could keep up this practice namely because they're police officers, showing highwayman or robbers that they're very vigilant.

But that kind of trick doesn't work on humans. There'd be no point. The entire objective to wearing a mask is so that the Nobushi couldn't be identified by criminals and targeted.

Tundra 793
03-13-2018, 06:23 AM
But that kind of trick doesn't work on humans. There'd be no point. The entire objective to wearing a mask is so that the Nobushi couldn't be identified by criminals and targeted.

Symbolism mate. You think there's a point to those expensive fancy bear fur hats the Queen's Guard wears? There doesn't really need to be an objective, straight forward reason for any of the Heroes choice in attire. The Berserkers mask certainly won't do him any favors in combat, yet he still wears it.

Sometimes things just are.

ChampionRuby50g
03-13-2018, 06:34 AM
Think about is intimidation too. Native American warriors painted their faces, and even their horses too make them look fierce. Nobushi could be similar.